Name a single, non-OS FOSS software that is at least 10 years ahead of its closest competition

Name a single, non-OS FOSS software that is at least 10 years ahead of its closest competition.

Attached: Sour-Cream-Original.png (600x476, 204K)

vim

But what is the closest competition to vim?

Attached: cute-duck.gif (348x372, 31K)

CephFS
OpenNN
OpenBabel
FreeCad
R Lang
OpenCog
OpenMRS

Nothing is 10 years ahead of its competition in any field. 10 years is a long fucking time.

emacs. vim is 10 years ahead.

Proprietary software like Photoshop, AutoCAD, Maya certainly are.

Vim is a text editor. Emacs is an OS.

Hadoop

I'll give you AutoCAD, but what can Photoshop or Maya do that is 10 years ahead of the competition (Gimp and Blender)? Everyone always argues for them based on interface preferences.

webservers, programming languages, version control, databases

Anything technical people care about will outperform as open source because many of the users are potential contributors.

Anything non-technical people care about will lack the large pool of contributors.

>non-OS
You make it sound like you could name an OS like that.

illumos

Also anything that is hard to code but can't be supported commercially, like emulators.

>non-OS
Linux

10 years is too long
-Maybe Plan9? Oh wait...

FOSS stuff that is significantly better than the closed source alternatives:
-LLVM
-Git
-Electron, apparently the future is full of shit
-BASH/ZSH/whatever other shell. Completely destroys Powershell
-XFS/BtrFS/whatever totally destroy NTFS
-Chromium and Firefox, fuck Edge
etc.

this

gcc

I'll give you version control, but Photoshop and Maya are more than 10 years ahead of Blender and GIMP. Find some professionals and ask them why. There's a reason why people fork out an insane amount of cash to have access to these tools. It's not brand loyalty.

>Find some professionals and ask them why.
The main reason is interoperability with other users and other Adobe software. It's more "brand value" than "brand loyalty," but it's arguable whether that really represents a technology gulf. I'd say not, it's a sales thing not a tech thing, but a reasonable person could disagree.

Blender 2.8 and animation nodes.

Blender is better than Maya
fite me
but Photoshop is indeed years ahead of GIMP, jesus christ, I've used GIMP for 11 years and I agree it's a pile of shit

Open source databases are lightyears ahead of proprietary ones.

Speaking of which, anyone got any news on the topic? Is PostgreSQL still the go-to? Did someone finally make a NoSQL worth using?

I can't speak for Maya but I know people will defend it with their skin.

As for Photoshop, the featureset when comparing to GIMP is insane. GIMP doesn't even have non destructive layers, and that was introduced to Photoshop what, like 10 years ago? And that's one feature. One. Now multiply by about a million and you have your reason why professionals don't use GIMP.

GIMP

>In ten years holding shift while placing an ellipse in Paint.NET will do nothing.

The latest update has sure placed photoshop right in their cross hairs. I cannot find features or functionality that photoshop possesses that GIMP does not.

so... how's that holding shift while placing an ellipse going?

hardly a reason to knock gimp

you can always bind shift

Actual RAW format editing support

10 years from now gimp still won't be able to draw circles.

Honestly, LLVM

optimization is inferior to icc, win support inferior to msvc, but in interoperability, webassembly, etc.. its literally the only choice, putting it lightyears abead of all others.

The Linux kernel.

Wanna know how I know this is retarded bait posting?

Foss doesn't have competition, there is rarely ever a lone entity in foss because good things get forked and worked on. That's like the whole point of foss, to make sure there isn't a single piece of software that is far elevated from the rest

wireshark

Xenocara. Took Linux practically a decade before X didn't have to be ran as root

No color space support in GIMP renders it unsuitable for any print media and lots of web stuff.

This. I wouldn't pay for either one of them, because they are either free/very easily pirated, but if I were to have to pay and they both costed money, photoshop would hands down be my choice.