/ag/ & /am/: audio general & audiophool memes

We made it to the Weekend Edition

We should probably put together an Intro Buying guide.

Attached: thank-god-its-not-jbl.jpg (1065x1600, 860K)

Other urls found in this thread:

parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651
amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 78df28f3680340e0ba73b5aec8bb9b7b--digital-audio-digital-strategy.jpg (735x1137, 140K)

Attached: 11493ea8cd4511680f0aaa17b0f0b068--record-player-table-vinyl-record-player.jpg (736x1927, 196K)

meme or not meme?

Attached: 3632puVaShyC._UX970_TTW__[1].jpg (970x600, 73K)

a2s are an absolute meme, no idea about the 'bigger' ones

What's a good integrated amp with an onboard DAC? My budget is ~$300. It's hard to separate legitimate reviews from the "muh golden ears" crowd.

a used Peachtree Audio iDecco

people other than JBL LSR users love them

I too lime the idea of starting a buyers guide

We should also have a guide for what to look for when buying used stuff at thrift stores and garage sales.

How big are those speakers? They look mammoth sized for bookshelf speakers.

Audio engine are expensive. If you want to pay for the name and the chassis, go ahead.

About as big as me cock.

They aren't bookshelf speakers. There is a difference between small speakers that live on stands and speakers sized and ported to work on bookshelves.

but seriously, those are "stand mount fusion" speakers by a canadian company called "vintage sound labs" which is about the worst name for any company because google sends out generic results

no reviews because no one owns them

its probably two guys in a factory floor making one speaker every 3 months by hand using a saw and a hammer

Attached: vintagesoundlabs.jpg (500x888, 140K)

Should i buy the buchardt S300 or the kef R300? I can get the at about the same price
This is for a apartment bedroom setup

Leave it to Canadians.

Attached: heh.jpg (560x577, 226K)

ok guys we really need to start getting a list together

So lets start in this thread

We need speakers for
$50
$100
$200
$500
$1000

And Amps for
$50
$100
$200
$500
$1000

Lets start off with this, and move from there

Im recommending the Definitive Technology SM45 for 200 dollar price point

Im also recommending the marantz PM5005 for the 500 dollar price point

And the Rotel A12 for 1000 dollar amp

>100 dollars
Micca MB 42x

Ok im going to start compiling a list that we can import over to a paste bin

Also lets make it so each catogrey includes ohter units to the next price point I.E.

50 min to 100 max dollar range
100 min to 200 max dollar range

etc

You would also have to recommend speakers for certain setups. Such as near field, living room sized, etc.

I favor the KEF model here.

Just an 8-inch woofer. I don't that's very large.

i understand that needs to be done, but for right now i think it would be best just to get a Version 1.0 list and slowly we can start adding in info about speakers and tweaking the list.

But i think we need at least 2 recommendations for each price point first before we post a pastebin or infograph

I'll keep suggesting shit then. HVL-1s and KEF Q-100 for 200 range. Mind you, I'm recommending shit that is easily accessible. Nothing made by some obscure faggots in a warehouse in leaf land.

i've been trying to have everything be based off amazon pricing for the U.S. Because of this i think im going to remove the Rotel from the list

I might remove the Rotel from the list because i cant find them easily online anywhere

And yeah, if you got any experience with a brand or specific speaker, recommend what you like.

If the Rotel are so amazing that you think they should stay on the list despite being difficult to find, keep them in a separate category.

>I favor the KEF model here.
Any reason why?

like i said, in a lter version that can be changed, but id like to get a list done by the weekend, so that people can quickly get a recommendation. Also i think Cambridge audio might be a better fit its close to the same level as rotel.

Attached: mms_img-508664087.jpg (540x960, 293K)

Also do we want to work on a component list for DAC's, Turntables, CD Players, and maybe some more obsolete formats like reel to reel and cassette.

Hey can I have some help. I think my speakers are picking up some line noise or something from their power. With everything turned off (pc, interface, everything else plugged in) i get a subtle hum/hiss from each speaker. even when only ones turned on. Its annoying because theyre nearfields. even when everything on, using balanced input i still get it. idk if its a ground loop since this is the only thing plugged in. I have a random monster stage 1 power filter that ive tried but that did fuck all. any help?

Here's a $50 entry.
parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

>ok guys we really need to start getting a list together

I wish I still had the list from Plebspotters days

Attached: implying you can open this image.jpg (1280x720, 163K)

Rate my most recent audio purchase

Attached: 20180622_230758-2656x1494.jpg (2656x1494, 711K)

Ok guys here's what we have so far, what do you guys think.

Official /ag/ Speaker and Amp guide Version 1.0

Speakers
Under 50
Dayton Audio B625-AIR ($49.88)
50-99
Micca MB42X ($89.95)
Polk Audio T15 ($99.95)
100-199
Definitive technology SM45 ($199.98)
200-499
Wavecrest Audio HVL-1 ($229.99)
KEF Q100 ($249.99)
500-999
MartinLogan Motion 15 ($657.94)
Bowers and Wilkins 686S2 ($920.16)

Amps
100-199
Yamaha R-S202BL ($149.95)
Onkyo TX-8020 ($153.00)
200-499
Onkyo A-9010 ($339.95)
Marantz PM5005 ($499.99)

Attached: 20180622_231018-2656x1494.jpg (2656x1494, 969K)

i was gonna ask about klipsch heritage, but mainly in there speaker lineup, are they worth the price, cause i am totally digging the vintage design and construction.

your cat looks pretty similar to mine

speakers with or without an inbuilt amp?

The drivers on the Kef blend together smoothly. That is, the sound radiation is fairly even over a broad range of frequencies.

Is this dac worth the price, or is it grossly out preformed by better 100 dollar dacs

Attached: audioquest_dragonfly_black_02.jpg (800x500, 41K)

depends on how much you want to spend. Many studio monitors are very cable with there built in amps, but if you plan on hooking up multiple sources besides one main computer, id recommend getting a nice pair os regualr speakers and a solid amp.

Also in terms of really high end, most speakers require a separate amp

Which one(s)? Because yes to every single one honestly. Legend and Epic series are pretty great also. You'll want a quality amp for best results. Some underpowered amps don't mix well at all with Klipsch. They are more picky about placement but worth it in the end

>bluetooth speakers
for what purpose

I didn't buy it because i would never be using a dac away from my desk.

I should add that I have owned Heresy, Forte I and II, Cornwall I, and CF4. All powered with a vintage Marantz 2270 or 2325. Plus I've been to their facility during the Pilgrimage event this year and heard every single speaker in the heritage lineup, RF7 iii, 1802 subwoofer, and Jubilee

hersey 3 because thats really the max budget i would go, but i love the style, size, and big as woofer like old 70's speakers. Im not in the market right now, but i could see them as the next speaker upgrade.

It has Wi-Fi streaming and phono input too

In terms of amp i got a rotel rx-604 with 50 watts of RMS power, so i figure i could make that work, what do you guys think?

Great "little" speaker. You lose a bit of the bottom end but if you place them on the floor near a wall it shores it up nicely. They have nice bass tbqh and was impressed with it in the listening room they had set up

Attached: 20180518_083711_HDR-2656x1494.jpg (2656x1494, 739K)

im assuming the forte 3 would be a significant upgrade?

moving off to college soon. gonna have my own small room. I want to get some craigslist bookshelf speakers and put them on stands, but space is limited. are there any good speaker stands that double as CD racks or something? If I could put my CDs, tapes and some other stuff below the speakers it would offset the space footprint of getting speakers on stands.

>college dorm
>speakers
lol

Should we just put the klipsch heritage lineup in the $100+ lineup?

Rotel should match well with any Klipsch. You won't be needing much power at all since all heritage are very efficient. Heresy are 99db @ 1watt and the rest are equal or better

sorry meant 1000+ lineup

wouldn't it be good or maybe even better to compile a list of good brands and things to look for or watch out for when buying things new and used, in general? lots of people take their first steps buying thrifted, ebay or craigslist stuff and a guide that says "buy X new if you have this budget" is less helpful

f-fuck off
forgot to mention it's an apartment. I'm gonna be sharing the general space like the living room and kitchen and washer dryer area, but I have my own bedroom and bathroom, and I don't listen to music too loud. I just don't want to be on headphones all the time. And I listen to music constantly, so having decent speakers for some background noise most of the time and for actual listening some of the time would be ideal for me.

Attached: 1473996309773.jpg (238x192, 14K)

More (deeper) bass and better midrange room coverage with the new horn design. Big price jump however. You can always find used Forte ii for ~600-850 and Forte i for ~500-700

If we're talking new speakers, sure. But you can find used ones for less. Thing is with Klipsch is you aren't buying tiny or thin tower speakers. They can be very big and super heavy. Pic related, La Scala, Cornwall iii, RF7 iii (left to right)

Attached: 20180518_084130.jpg (2667x1500, 611K)

Hey dudes, I have this creative inspire 5300 speaker set. The power/volume part just broke effectively making the entire set useless. I don't think they make replacements for those anymore and I don't really want to buy second hand. I'm a little new to audio but I wish to learn more.
Will I need a new sub and a new amp? Obviously I need something to plug everything into. I'm looking for something in the $200 range for both the sub and amp that can support the 5.1 setup. Everything is coming from my pc sound card if that helps.

get some hs5 probably

i want to do that, but as a separate list, completely agree with you thats it would be awesome to get that done, but id like to have a basic go to version.

Any recommendations you want to add

>They can be very big and super heavy
This is the size of Jubilee. Also easily the best sounding speaker I've ever heard

Attached: 20180518_124734_HDR.jpg (1425x802, 189K)

>This is the size of Jubilee. Also easily the best sounding speaker I've ever heard
ive wanted to hear one of these espcially after seeing gns video on them

>i want to do that, but as a separate list
yeah makes good sense. I was just trying to be constructive, no criticism by the way. of course I have no good knowledge myself. mine goes as far as:
>see muh 80s electronic device at an ewaste drive or thrift shop
>take it
so hopefully you guys can put together a good guide. oh also I generally like to stick to Sony stuff because I've had good experiences with it. pic related, I like a lot of old sony shit

looks good but I was more likely going to buy some older Sony speakers or something

Attached: IMAG0597.jpg (4224x2368, 2.03M)

>some older Sony speakers or something
does sony actually make anything worthwhile

Are those prices per speaker or per pair?

I got a pair of these for $50 but they are usually $100 for the pair
amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

Attached: 31iDtHu2uBL.jpg (500x250, 14K)

I'm no expert but I think so. Maybe their newer stuff is good but all my old Sony electronics work nicely even after 30 years and look and feel great to use. I'm probably just being a nostalgiafag though

if you like old sony shit, you should be on the look out from their ES (Evaluated Series) lineup. Its the best sony stuff they ever made (and still do)

I got a 5 disc cd changer for 6 bucks at my YMCA thrift shop (cdp-c75es), Listening to "Welcome to the machine" on it right now.

per pair

or you could just listen from a digital source, just get flacs lol

where can i buy digital speakers and digital ears?

not the same feeling, its fun to load in a disc and listen from end to end, and have a shelf full of discs.

a disk player is useless

so you see it the audio as a sort of reward for accumulating and setting up a physical collection?

not him, but the guy he replied to and I have 200GB plus of digital music. I am by no means anti digital. I'd have terabytes of music by now but my shit fuck internet has typical download speeds of like 200kbps.

Fuck, I'd love to have a full ES stereo system. and I wish I had ever seen ES stuff anywhere in person, but I haven't. Although I would be reluctant to replace my current deck, a 1987 Sony TC-R303. I love that thing to death and I don't know if I could bear to part with it.
pic is from earlier before I put a CD player on the same shelf under the deck

>it's a mad retard with untreated room episode

why not just rip your music?

are you fucking kidding me, fucking mook let me post my picture

a disc player is not useless since it plays music and does the job of bringing us enjoyment

Attached: IMAG0430.jpg (4224x2368, 2.02M)

I rip what I do have on CD and tape, but generally I just torrent or soulseek my stuff and wait however long it takes to download. plus it's free.

300 bucks for a good pair of WIRED headphones. Already have a DAC. Hard mode: P2 and P3 only.

i do like the styling, but the missing volume knob is killing me. You got get some type of replacement

/hpg/ might be better for that, this is more for stereo systems

Only shills on that dumpster fire.

yeah.. I hoped you wouldn't notice that. It's how it was when I found it and fixed it up. I actually made a replacement Rec Level knob in tinkercad or something a while ago, but I never got around to having it printed. I might see if there are replacements on ebay though

replace it for internet points

i mean i got a pair of HD600's and i enjoy them, but they might not be the best. I will say i have heard good things about the the equivalent hifi mans but i dont have the experience with them. I do know a shit ton a guys with sennhiser based products though, so the hype is pretty real.

I can hardly find anything online. I might just try to get this part 3d printed. Then I could use a dremel or something to shape it properly if necessary, cut a little groove in it, dye it black and paint the groove red so it looks like the stock knob. kind of a lot of work for a little thing but would be worth it for my prized cassette deck

Holy shit! That HiFi cat must have cost you a fortune. Dunno about the speaker tho

most likely a lot of the sony volume knobs from the era use that knob, so if you see a piece of sony equipment built around that time, just take the knob. Even if the physical size its right, the connection itself is probably good enough.

Didn't think of that. Good idea lad

ah, I see that you are a Patrician

Attached: Klipsch-Heritage-Headphones-001.jpg (1300x883, 161K)

oh fuck not this meme again

>useless disc players

certain optical disc players have excellent "preamp" components and produce better output

Attached: vinyl makes her lose inhibition.jpg (265x430, 69K)

very nice cassette deck

Those headphones are quite fantastic but I could never justify that price tag

Is there a way to solve "monitor too close would block any speaker behind it problem"? would speakers sound terrible if they are on the sides?
like directly left and right like headphones.

>Shared apartment
>I listen to music constantly

Get ready to be told to fuck off or use headphones. Those walls won’t be thick enough and it’s considered inpolite to play music all the time in shared apartments. The others can get you kicked if they say your music bothers their normal living.

I had my big speakers equally spaced from my chair on the left/right wall as you described and it does work well but sounds a bit odd at first

>implying you need to blast music to listen to it
Do you think people complain about their neighbors having the TV on also?

who else like this

Attached: O1yxo50aiVbISUI3c50anAYacQzwxcNJjBDHjV_Ik-w (1).png (717x720, 571K)

this is comedy?

hd600's are a 'reasonable' endgame as long as you don't need a ton of bass. They're an incredibly natural sounding headphone.