KDE Plasma is amazing

I just installed Manjaro KDE after 3 years of Xubuntu and HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHY DIDIN'T I DO IT SOONER. I have heard stories about customisability but this is just totaly next level from XFCE or Windows, you can change anything. Don't even start me on widgets, at first i didn't even touch them, thinking that they ware eather useless or buggy like on any other system that attempted it, then i realised that almost everything i saw initialy was a widget, next thing i know i spent an hour bullshiting with panels back and fourth, and there is so so much more. Even without all of that Plasma is so much better looking than anything i have tried before, and even without all of afformentioned things, the funcionality is outstanding, Dolphin is by far the best file menager i used, same goes for Ktorrent, KSysGuard, KGet and Spectacle. I can't think of a single thing that disapointed me in these 24 hours, even the installation procces was flawless.
So my question is, why aren't you using Plasma? Why isn't everyone using Plasma? Am i missing something major, some big problem with it that i still don't know about? I know people talk about performance issues but so far it didn't even flinch on me and yet i have everything on max. blur, transparency, Vsync, animation. And considering that most of Jow Forums users live in developed parts of the world and have much stronger machines than my 2GB desktop, this should be even less of an issue.
Litterarly my only problem wit Plasma was one instance of plasmashell crashing before i setup my drivers and that was it.

10/10 Bravo KDE!

Attached: Plasma.png (1680x1050, 608K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dyNVpWyVP-M
hooktube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not using macOS in 2018

Also the other problem i encountered is that i can't turn on spell checking

Attached: ZSaULYnwkmRyrfKnRTCc9oc9RQK43LfrRnJPdy18AxM.jpg (576x768, 60K)

>Tfw Plasma user in 2018

Attached: 1521548310382.jpg (500x375, 62K)

why it's still on 5.12.5
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh, i didn't even notice that, thanks alot gonna update it right now. Thanks to you it's about to become even better!

One thing i want to learn about KDE is how to remove the rectangle that you have by default on top in the right or the left corner.

Until i know how i can remove it, i will never try KDE, because having a rectangle in the top right corner is retarded.

It's the same level of faggotry with KDE, so i don't see why you are complaining.

can you really replace kwin with i3?
considering trying that out

just swipe it down right and it goes away

what's wrong with KDE?

still haven't tried

>what's wrong with KDE?

it's resource intensive compared to Mate or Cinnamon and basically does the same job

shouldn't be a problem you can change the wm in any de

Right click on the desktop, go to Configure Desktop, uncheck "Show desktop toolbox"

Attached: Screenshot_20180622_184349.png (806x630, 38K)

and I thought eyecandy/animationshit on linux had died down

The only eyecandy is blur and only animation that is noticable is the window snap

>He uses a GUI.

The state of Jow Forums.

Attached: tumblr_lzghcnAXUr1r2g7mto1_r1_500.gif (450x253, 103K)

pretty much all the animationshit is turned off by default. kde is fucking amazing and I've tried mate, mate+compiz, xfce, gnome, budige.... nothing comes close to what kde does (for me). I think mate and xfce are pretty fucking great but I use qt applications almost exclusively so there is no point in using something that I don't think looks as good.

>that 40 year old boomer who wont let go of CLI
Atleast stop half assing it , images aren't allowed. Nor are colors.

It is pretty great, but only now it is usable. I used kubuntu twice before and I always had some bug that made it unusable after a while. I installed neon this time, and haven't had a problem. It's just so much better than gnome, I don't know why people put up with that shit anymore.

I don't like KDE because it's ugly. They need to fix theming and inconsistencies such as the gigantic clock and panel states. The KDE devs need a designer because there are people who are extremely autistic (such as myself) who can't switch as a result.

I've been using Debian variants since 2009 on my laptop. I was a Windows gamer on my desktop since 2006. I finally gave up Windows entirely, and I have KDE Neon on the laptop, and Kubuntu 18.04 on the gaming/Netflix/Kodi desktop. I'm happy. Not only can I customize just about everything, I'm still playing all my favorite game titles thanks to Lutris/Wine/Vulkan.

I don't use GNOME but I like some aspects of it. The the UI is clean, theming works great, and the buttons on the title bar is a good idea. KDE has none of these and has other problems I mentioned in an earlier post.

Too bad it wastes so much space.
>has top bar
>no global menu on it
>bars takes 1/5 of the screen space

>666

OK Satan trip shill.

But KDE is much heavier than Xfce
(twice the RAM usage, about 4x more dependencies)

And before you mentioning the "tons of features included".
Remember that Unneeded features are called BLOAT.
And KDE is full of BLOAT.

Attached: 666 chrome.jpg (320x180, 11K)

Is your computer from this century? RAM and disk space shouldn't matter at all.

>it's resource intensive compared to Cinnamon
>basically does the same job
nice bait

you call it BLOAT, we call it a full desktop experience

Attached: bloated.jpg (510x288, 30K)

For some reason the drop down menus don't have shadows on them even with composite enabled, wtf is happening?

wtf, this is what happens when people judge things without understanding it
its just a fucking option under desktop settings as told you
this is the state of Jow Forums aggresiveness

>muh bloat
Do you have a machine made in the last 10 years that has 64-bit dual core CPU at 2GHz, 4GB of RAM, and a 30GB or larger 7200RPM mechanical disk? If not, just fucking kill yourself.

>Remember that Unneeded features are called BLOAT.
>And KDE is full of BLOAT.
Some of us actually prefer a good desktop experience, and have systems capable of handling what you call 'bloat'.

If there were heavy constraints, and I want exactly what is needed and nothing more, sure, I'd not want any 'bloat'. But I'm not under any such constraints.

One of the things KDE needs to work out asap is the fucking Discover program. It's in charge of software updates and program installing, but it sucks.

tfw package manager still on 5.12

Why do my fonts and font rendering get all fucked up on kde versus just a wm or gnome?

Yes and even then I choose to waste a minimum of system resources on the DE. You like eye candy, good for you.

>You like eye candy, good for you
You don't have to use all animations KDE offers, nor are most enabled by default. Also, KDE's resource usage has slowly declined to the point of it using less ram and resources than Mate and Xfce:
youtu.be/dyNVpWyVP-M

This is OP
hooktube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM

this better not be your actual terminal colorscheme OP, how the fuck do you read that shit for any longer than 5 minutes at a time

>hooktube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM
Tyrell always reminded me of Ozymandias.

Attached: the-indian-programmer-starter-pack-does-i-wsr-leave-it-26270725.png (500x622, 99K)

Attached: 1497141590652.png (1920x1080, 1.57M)

If you have an Android phone there is a good reason to install KDE: KDE Connect. 'nuff said

KDE Plasma is pretty great. A decade ago i would have laughed at the idea of using KDE but now it's actually pretty nice. Tried it out pretty recently and if i still cared about Linux it would be my goto rather than getting half-finished WM's, etc and having to waste my time to get them to look okay.

It's just a shame the design is a clusterfuck. Everything is just dumped wherever it'll fit.

U N ES T HET I C

I can confirm that KDE is currently the best desktop environment out there. Looks grate and the level of customization you can do out of the box is astonishing.

Anyone have a solution for performance issues w/ NVIDIA gpus?

Plasma runs a little choppy, no matter if I use official or unofficial drivers.
The main issue I'm having is with lag/choppyness/low redrawing speed/etc when resizing windows.

It's not a huge issue, but it's one of those things that is subtly annoying.

Any recommendations on solutions to this?

Attached: DOChpJJUEAUiJoM.jpg (400x400, 20K)

Yo man, how do you get that transparency/blurr on dolphin?

Is he gonna deep throat that?