Diablo 1 reverse engineered

GalaXyHaXz reverse engineered Diablo 1 and released the source code.
github.com/galaxyhaxz/devilution

Attached: diablo.jpg (859x483, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h9RG2DVqOsU
github.com/galaxyhaxz/devilution/blob/master/Source/gendung.cpp#L346
youtube.com/watch?v=95765adHBtw
osgameclones.com/
sourceforge.net/projects/mmario/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_rule_(attorney's_fees)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aureal_Semiconductor
github.com/rwengine/openrw
diabloii.net/blog/comments/blizzard-north-didnt-know-diablo-is-story-ending
github.com/galaxyhaxz/devilution
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hope he likes jail.

>that 23 year old boomer who thinks reverse engineering is illegal

save it, quick

>25 year old boomer who can't read
Legal

This work is being released to the Public Domain. No assets of Diablo are being provided. You must own a copy of Diablo and have access to the assets beforehand in order to use this software.

Not technology.

Diablo 2 when?

How is it different than private WoW servers that Blizzard shuts down?

WoW is still a game that is active and Blizzard still makes money off of.
I don't think they give a shit about Diablo 1

That doesn't have any bearing on whether or not it's legal to reverse engineer the game.

illegal =/= wrong, not in this case

blizzard would still shut it down you could make a game with the diablo1 engine that's better than diablo4

Online games the assets are sent to you in game, running the server means your using copyrighted stuff

diablo1 is better than diablo2 and diablo3
but they won't shut it down

native diablo for linux would be cool
especially if someone makes a brutal diablo

Got me curious, why do you claim it's better than diablo II?

darker mood
far better intro and cinematics
tristam village still remains the best music track in all the games

diablo 2 feels cheap and tacky, especially with all the colours later on
letting you pick a main character means there's no clear narrative

also I don't know if many people consciously realise this but dark souls is practically diablo x castlevania in 3d

I'll check it out then,
thanks.

>no clear narrative
Yeah, because Diablo 1's story was so well thought out.

Attached: latest[1].jpg (1439x689, 96K)

>darker mood
>far better intro and cinematics
>tristam village still remains the best music track in all the games
Hey asshat those things have nothing to do with gameplay, if you want to set a mood try watching a movie

lol retard go play tetris then

playing diablo 1 as a kid was terrifying

>OpenRA
>OpenRTC2
>OpenTTD
>Now OpenDiablo is a thing.
What a wonderful time to be alive.

>OpenMW

nice nostalgia goggles

yes they will if you make a game with diablo1 engine even with new assets (which they wont they will reuse old ones) it will get shutdown. you don't understand how strict blizzard is with IP blizzard even tweeted that it was ok to restream the MDI on twitch and then some one restreamed it and Blizzard lawers DMCA and banned the streamer and he couldn't even speak to blizzard staff only legal.

trust me it would get shut down as soon as its popular enough to be playable.

Do mods work with it?

Also I think there's a really unfinished project for an open version of the Neverwinter Nights Aurora engine.

that's not how this wrosk at all. See, for instance, openMW

for what purpose?

Portability, maintainability, modability and maybe a bunch of other bilities.

private WoW servers are essentially pirating their "service." With diablo you buy the game once.

any .esp file does, yes. Same with texture replacements. Any kind of scripting or injector, no.

nah, its still fun as fuck to play. Either "traditionally" or rushing it as fast as possible. Some people can finish it in less than 20 minutes

obviously its not a game you play everyday but every once in a while i find myself going back to it.

it was well thought out and clear
your guy decided to contain diablo within himself
there's no confusion what your guy looked like, or what he did in the story, if this was the canon ending

diablo's gameplay has not changed at all in 3 games, it's still point and click, enemy dead... collect items and gold
but diablo 1 had superior aesthetics which made exploring much more scary

Attached: diablo-poczatek.png (640x480, 319K)

Diablo games are so mind-numbing, dumb and slow. Just click here and click there, it makes me sleep like nothing else. Are RPG players basically robots?

>developer says their personality type in their GitHub profile
Why do people do this

>t. gen X faggot that grew up playing league of legends and call of duty

Attached: Untitled.png (146x159, 56K)

this isn't scary at all

Attached: Screenshot14.jpg (640x480, 128K)

>Just click here and click there
Welcome to PC gaming.

There's really not much to say if you don't get the appeal of collecting items and making your character stronger in your own way.

youtube.com/watch?v=h9RG2DVqOsU

nothing in diablo 2 or 3 comes close to this

yeah, they are
the shareware of diablo 1 is pretty much the best part of the game/series
once you've played that, you don't need the rest

Same why people announce their made up personal pronouns in their Twitter profile - attention whoring.

why are blizzard's character designs so soulless?

Attached: Diablo_II_characters.jpg (500x323, 42K)

I used to keep checking back in camp because the hirelings' names were randomly generated, I'd reset them until I could hire the one named Kyoko

>dhewm3
>openrw

i only played diablo for pvp, so d2 is the best.

the game is designed around the skinner-box principals of manipulation, which was designed around manipulating a bird

so technically they are literally bird brains

>reverse engineered
github.com/galaxyhaxz/devilution/blob/master/Source/gendung.cpp#L346

Does this really classify as being reverse engineered? Looks like the output of a decompiler, a complete clusterfuck

this explains a lot about blizzard fans
I could never get hooked on them
I need more substance like a nintendo game

Dont lump RPGs in with Diablo, please. I won't say RPGs are 'smart' games but Diablo and its ilk are literally at the level of a dog toy with more visual stimulation.

diablo pvp is boring, just two retards clicking mice furiously
go play a fighting game

>all these gotos

As points out, it really looks like a lot of the code was decompiled, not rewritten from being reverse engineered.

Those are actual running servers, not the source codes provided. There is a huge difference between reverse engineering and using that code with copyrighted assets for profit.

actually it's full of strategy, tech, speed, and control. Maybe you never got good just as a novice playing a fighting game might say they're just 2 retards mashing buttons.

here's a pretty good ww sin: youtube.com/watch?v=95765adHBtw you can see each click is precise.

I want to see Vice City reverse engineered one day.

>actually it's full of strategy, tech, speed, and control

This is what birdbrains actually believe!

Because i heard diablo 1 still does not run on wine.

"The sanctity of this source code has been fouled!"

>gameplay is same
Lmao that's some as calling elementary and university same since you are still taught

Diablo 1 works on wine. Even "The Hell" mod works

there was mods for vice city that changed the map totally and added the twin towers and other crazy shit.

Why is there a blue Kratos

Been done with lots of games before.
osgameclones.com/

this isn't a discussion of diablo, but the game's technology

nice
sourceforge.net/projects/mmario/

Diablo is NetHack for dummies

And thats a good thing!

It's just a pile of IDA-paste

If you take a single second to look, you will see that this was NOT reversed engineered. This was decompiled. If it was reverse engineered, it wouldn't have variables named v1 through v200.

bought fucking time

Oh dear, no one ever had The Talk with you, did they?

it had it's moments
>FRESH MEAT!
though d2 had the fucking barbarian screaming at full volume in the menu

This

It is clearly a Hex-Rays dump he has been adding back symbols to. Most variables are still 1:1 with register usage

But if this actually compiles and builds a functioning Diablo-game he must have done other work to it.

A multi-million company is going to poop all over what you think the legal boundary is

Whether the guy in OP's GitHub gets rekt or not is all in the goodwill of Blizzard

I wonder how much this will enrage the Russian modders.

That's decompiled, not reverse-engineered. All the variables are named v1, v2, v3 etc. I have no fucking idea what's going on in there.

This, do it NOW!

3, vice city, and san andreas would just be great to see native on anything other than windows

Hell yeah, I can _FINALLY_ play vanilla Diablo 1 in fullscreens on a modern PC.

I think only the scripting engine is not yet full understood.
The filesystem, texture, model and audio formats are very well documented.

Private servers aren't necessarily illegal. They always get shut down in the US though because the US justice system permits ruining the other part. For example:

1. Do nothing wrong.
2. Get cease-and-desist letter.
3. Do not desist, get sued.
4. Spend a gorillion dollars, IF you can afford it.
5. Court recognizes you're done nothing wrong.
6. Rich company has just financially ruined you and they don't have to pay for the cost of the lawsuit, nor pay a percentage to your lawyer because US refuses to follow English rule.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_rule_(attorney's_fees)

This is how Creative robbed Aureal in the 90s; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aureal_Semiconductor

In principle, a lawsuit in bad faith for the purpose of bankrupting another party, or forcing them to relinquish their assets, is legal in the US.

Try to make Blizzard shut down those servers in Northern Europe or Russia. Good luck.

>To top it all off, a debug build of the PC version is contained right there on your Diablo disc! Hidden in DIABDAT.MPQ -> D1221A.MPQ -> DIABLO.EXE.
How do things like this even happen

Incompetency?

github.com/rwengine/openrw

Incredibly primitive state right now but nice to see someone is making an effort

Are you retarded? The whole point of the many dungeon levels and cannon fodder enemies was that Diablo needed a strong host body but he couldn't corrupt it easily. That's why he needed someone capable to fight through all that shit so he has enough time to corrupt him to the point that he uses the soulstone on himself. Fucking retard.

He's talking about the ending, hence his picture.

diabloii.net/blog/comments/blizzard-north-didnt-know-diablo-is-story-ending

they explicitly say in the faq they won't do diablo 2 because its still on sale

reverse engineering / decompiling is technology.

>github.com/galaxyhaxz/devilution

This doesn't seem to be a pure reverse engineering effort but a combination of leaked assets and decompiled code. That is most likely illegal.

The 'leaked' assets are files released with the japanese version of the game.
As to the disassembly isnt the original source copyrighted but the binary allowed to be analyzed/reversed?

untrue. He is not infringing upon their services or goods in any way. He's not even making a fan game. What he's doing is essentially making a mod for the game

>Incredibly primitive state right now
it's one release away from v1.0 and already better than the vanilla game

isnt that a dos game

Now we can get Diablo I in HD.
Nice.

Attached: 1474604386518.jpg (200x252, 10K)

Analyzed and used to write something compatible, yes. Analyzed by an automatic program translating to something that can be compiled? Not likely.

The guy talks about being bug-for-bug compatible and this approach gives that. It also isn't legal in any place I know of.

look at these insufferable fucking faggots

Jow Forums was a mistake

Attached: 1529526925466.gif (190x199, 187K)