Are top exhaust fans necessary?

are top exhaust fans necessary?

Attached: GkzqG.gif (638x413, 116K)

I never install them; it means removing some kind of top cover which makes the system less likely to survive a liquid spill.

What kind of liquids does Satan leave around his computer?

Absolutely.

Blood of the innocent, tears of angels, etc etc

What kinda chode leaves there PC where liquid can get to it from the top?

Can easily happen assuming you keep your system on the floor instead of having it consume desk space.

the same kind of chode that cannot differentiate between there, their, and they're

course not OP, heat falls everyone knows that

I put mine under my desk, unless water is magically being sucked through my desk, it's fine.

My system is on the floor next to my desk, and it would be rather difficult for me to spill liquid on it by accident.

You don't think that stagnant air remains in your PC long enough for natural convection to have an effect, do you?

In a closed case? Where do you think that heat goes? Into the case and the surrounding components. When you have a fan and a vent it goes out the top.

> he doesn't use a passively cooled desktop

Attached: ea87fb213d8c.jpg (932x904, 91K)

But that's wrong. The heat goes wherever the airflow pulls it, because your fans are a lot stronger than natural convection.
In fact, for best temperatures you should want intakes in the top, rear, and side of the case, with exhausts in the front and bottom.
This may seem unconventional, but this way you're pulling fresh air from outside the case onto important components and exhausting hot air out the front and bottom where your CPU, graphics card, and motherboard aren't.
It's still limited how much of a difference this would make over the average front intake rear exhaust type setup because, regardless of how your fans are configured, all of the air inside your case is replaced in a matter of seconds.

Natural convection simply doesn't apply to an actively cooled PC. If you were to remove all of your fans it would be a different story, however.

How about dust? Front intake could prevent some before it could reached motherboard, unlike yours.

>what are dust filters

Still not 100% filtered.

I can see my cats laying all over this shit

Neither is a front intake. Anything that would prevent dust from reaching the motherboard is just a hindrance to airflow.
Sure, you could prevent dust from coming in through the front at all by mounting a solid sheet of metal or plastic right behind the intake, but then you no longer have an intake.

You put dust filters on your intakes no matter where they're placed, but no matter where they are they will never be "100% filtered" unless you're using literal HEPA filters, but then again you could place those anywhere and they'd have the same effect as long as the intake goes through them. Doesn't matter if it's at the front or rear/top.

as a non meme answer, Gamers' nexus on youtube has some really good content on the effectiveness of different cooling solutions

No

That's what I thought too until I saw surface tension come within millimeters of ruining my rig.

Well I mean dust filters for PC isn't that effective. But some hindrance in airflow could reduce the dust to motherboard, That's why I got the dust around HDDs cage and less with motherboard.

That is still not "100% filtered" user. And if you're not cleaning that out regularly, you're likely just harming your HDDs more than you're benefiting your motherboard.

doesn't matter
as long as you have at least one intake and one exhaust it's fine. adding more or changing positions makes minimal to no difference.
just mount a box fan with a furnace filter to the side panel desu.

My top is intake, front it exhaust.

>one intake and one exhaust

This. The trend of case-fan meme-magic positioning is marketing bull for gayming autists who can't into thermodynamics.

Attached: 1506346695924.png (451x451, 195K)

only if you have a front radiator

But it's not. You're not going to destroy convection with you XXXgamer fans. They're not going to create such a vacuum that all local pockets of heat will be pulled away (completely) especially between components. I will yield its effect is probably insignificant for the average user but fighting it doesn't help

this. you want as much of the case open as possible - cases with a lot of screens instead of solid panels is a good idea, and then have a large fan to circulate the air, plus your fans on your CPU cooler and GPU.

>You're not going to destroy convection
Temperature difference is relatively low. So yes, your fans are going to have a greater effect than natural convection.

convection is essentially caused by buoyancy which is caused by the difference in density between air of different temperatures. If you actually weren't a retard and did the math, you'd know that the difference is relatively very small and the effect of natural convection would be incredibly miniscule. Case fans may not be strong but they're strong enough that any talk of "convection" can be thrown out the window.

I'm sure cleaning HDDs cage is far more easy than motherboard.

My PC is on my desk, and with a messy desk I find that the only place I can put my plate of lunch on is the air holes of the case. If I installed a fan right in those hole as pictured in the OP, could my computer potentially heat up my plate and keep my food warm?

Some smaller cases it actually makes a difference in temps

Its not even out yet fa6ot

>spray HDD cages and the HDDs inside it with air
vs
>spray motherboard with air
It's pretty much the same, just do it regularly so you don't get enough dust build up to clog up your fans.
At least as long as you aren't smoking inside your home. Nicotine dust wrecks anything it comes into contact with and makes cleaning a nightmare, obliterating any resale value of components.

>not having your computer on a shelf above the desktop and screen.

It might not make much of a difference to GPU and CPU temps, but what about RAM and VRMs?

>implying that shit matters