Jow Forumss thoughts on the Librem 5

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

>Completely FOSS
>security and privacy focussed
>no Chinese government spyware

Sounds like it'd be perfect for Jow Forums, if only it cost less ($600 i think).

Attached: librem5-quotes-kde-bits-1024x603.jpg (1024x603, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thenextweb.com/mobile/2018/06/06/the-ultra-private-purism-librem-5-phone-is-a-step-closer-to-reality/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=The+ultra-private+Purism+Librem+5+phone+is+a+step+closer+to+reality
puri.sm/news/
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freescale_DragonBall
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Foundation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU
youtube.com/watch?v=SUJtMlEwd6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ckHGGjheIEA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It all depends if they can actually deliver. They're not the first to try this.

Instead of asking you could have just looked in the Jow Forums archives and see what people thought of it.
All i can say is if you want it , buy it.

Will probably be buying it as my next phone. Either that or some LineageOS android thing.

600 for that shit, are you insane?

>5" screen + huge bezels
>$600
nah fuck that

Freedom isn't free.

will it have a removable battery?

> if only it cost less ($600 i think)
Well yea, make it $200 or less.

> no Chinese government spyware
Unless you are in China, it'd seem to me that the US corporate spyware is more dangerous.

See,*that* information seems to circulates fucking everywhere, it gets bought and sold in bulk and retained forever. [At least until GDPR and so on is enforced by the EU; it also gave us some extra glimpses into how fucking bad the problem is. Pic related.]

Whatever the Chinese government gathers doesn't yet seem to show up everywhere, and maybe they'll keep it at least internal to the government forever.

Attached: botnet.png (446x9633, 275K)

>Buy this phone
>Use Google Fi
Am I still good?

i will never pay more than $200 for a cellphone. trying to remove the botnet from an inherently botnet device is just stupid.

enjoy wasting $600 for placebo.

> inherently botnet device
Wat?

I guess you have little control over conventional phone calls. But it can be a Linux machine that is rather secure against leaking any data from the programs you run.

>5 touchscreen
>i.MX6/i.MX8 CPU
This better have kernel source codes available.
>Vivante GPU
>3GB LPDDR3 RAM
>32GB eMMC
>MicroSD slot
>pricing starts at $600
Not the first to try it, but with this pricing their success is being held back two-fold.
>UI looks 5 years outdated at best
>being available worldwide is still a question
>all specs are subject to change until release
The manufacturer isn't the problem, choosing the talking point of preferring Chinese, US or Russia to data mine you isn't an issue, but this device actually being released is.

You need to have a Google phone to use google Fi.

Yes

It's CPU is backdoored, not to mention it's baseband.

I'd love to get one of these just to support the spirit of the project, but geez, six hundred bucks? I'm not paying that much when I barely use my phone in the first place and would much prefer if I didn't have to own a phone at all. I'll use the Lineage'd thing I have now until it dies, hopefully in three years there'll be a used market for these.

>privacy smartphonne
It's a juicero-tier scam

Brand new imx8 a literally Dragonball CPU successor
>backdoored

Can you run a virtual machine on that thing?

Let's see if it gets commercially released first.

>It's a juicero-tier scam
I wouldn't go that far, but on an inherently privacy unsuitable platform it's a step in the right direction.

>5 touchscreen
There is no point in a bigger screen. ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯
>i.MX6/i.MX8 CPU
Those are the only CPUs in the market where the modem is separate from the CPU, so it can actually be disabled without having to shut off the entire CPU.
>This better have kernel source codes available
It does.
>Vivante GPU
See the CPU point.
>3GB LPDDR3 RAM
This is a bare minimum. They will put as much RAM as the motherboard can take. It can take up to 8 GB, they're hoping to include at least 6 GB.
>32GB eMMC
And?
>MicroSD slot
This is a good point.
>pricing starts at $600
They don't have the manufacturing prowess to make a million of these devices as, say, Samsung or Xiaomi. They cannot sell as cheaply as them because they must recover their investment and make some earnings.

My only real complaints were about the CPU, screen size and the pricing. Others were just listed. I hope they can succeed with this, although I'm worried about the distro implementation.

>UI looks 5 years outdated at best
The UI on the pic is just a beta of KDE mobile, the final release will have a customized Gnome DE and KDE mobile

>I want this hobbyist kikstartered product the same price as a chinkphone
see pic

Attached: 1512864316596.jpg (645x729, 81K)

>The UI on the pic is just a beta of KDE mobile, the final release will have a customized Gnome DE and KDE mobile
I hope so. Are there any recent demo videos of it? And more importantly - is the device even going to be available worldwide?

thenextweb.com/mobile/2018/06/06/the-ultra-private-purism-librem-5-phone-is-a-step-closer-to-reality/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=The+ultra-private+Purism+Librem+5+phone+is+a+step+closer+to+reality

Attached: Librem-5-Case-Design.jpg (1024x576, 36K)

puri.sm/news/

Attached: Librem-5-Screenshots-796x332.jpg (796x332, 32K)

They should go with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage. Since it might support dual booting.

Purism always delivered.

Imagine being concerned about privacy and waving around unique "privacy oriented" device at every security gate. In the age when you get screened for wearing casio f91w watch.
It's like you deliberately ask to get a finger in a butthole every fucking time.

You bring the privacy-phone through the checkpoint as a decoy so that the government thugs think there must be something on it and concentrate on searching your phone when there's nothing actually on it and all your data is elsewhere.

That's what I call well spent 600$

I understand that, but most people can't do what Stallman does.

what Stallman does?

I hope it works well so I can have a nice distro like gentoo, but perhaps I will go with arch because of compilation on that cpu might be slow

stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

What sort of power level are we talking here?

>unique "privacy oriented" device at every security gate.
>you deliberately ask to get a finger in a butthole every fucking time.
'murica

Uh. I thought you were referring to something specifically related.
Someone is gonna get butthurt but I'm gonna say it:
Stallman is basically a blogger/spokesperson. He doesn't really DO stuff.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freescale_DragonBall

>He doesn't really DO stuff.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Foundation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU
I wouldn't consider this nothing.
youtube.com/watch?v=SUJtMlEwd6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ckHGGjheIEA
Isn't this worth of hearing and discussing thousand times over? Isn't this inspirational? I think this is valid and worthwile.

finally i will be free of botnet in 2019

unless it has at least the level or android virtualization sailfish has it'll crash and burn

you can turn off the baseband

>botnet apps
Not just sending gpg sms's from the tty

if it was isolated into containers i.e social, secure etc. it could be pretty good

I've been hearing about this fucking thing for like 2 years now

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Foundation
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU
>I wouldn't consider this nothing
Nothing that actually could conflict with his orthodox privacy choices.
You can be privacy oriented bus driver aswell. Being privacy oriented in a world where you actually have to digitally collaborate and communicate with other people and you're not in a position to state your own rules is not a Stallman's case.
Just like Chad telling you "just to be yourself and girls will come to you", he is a guy that sits on million dollar foundation and telling you to tell your boss to fuck off because you're not gonna use windows at work. He's not a role model. He's an idol.

Are you implying everyone should give up even with the ever growing number of hardware/software alternatives just because perfect privacy isn't possible?