Prev thread: >>66437358

Prev thread: >Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4&feature=youtu.be

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: 1496425230629.png (824x553, 731K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ
codepen.io/user/pen/XJZjBx.html
codepen.io/user/pen/GGGvxe
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>How do I get a web dev job without a degree? What online courses do I need to watch?

This question gets asked every single thread so I'll try and head it off now.
Yes, some high-profile bloggers etc have senior developer jobs without every going to university/college. They generally invented significant technologies though, or founded successful startups or otherwise made contributions that are recognised across the industry, especially by the big players.
You can get a job without a degree if you're someone like that, which you're not because you're asking how to be successful...without hard work...on Jow Forums.

The other way is basically nepotism, if your uncle owns a little software company, he might give you a job. If your family friend needs a website, they might pay you to build it. Once you have some experience, it gets easier to get a job.

If you don't have solutions like these available to you then you probably can't actually get a web dev job without a degree, sorry. You can argue about whether degrees teach you to be a developer and you can argue about whether the student debt is worth it but from an employer perspective, nobody hires someone because they have 'pluck' or have watched some online courses. And those online courses have a narrow focus that won't equal the breadth of skills and knowledge that university teachers, if you want some examples, check back a few threads for the user that tried to get a PHP job and failed the technical interview because they didn't have database skills as well. You need a lot more than just one or two languages to be a developer.

Is there any decent and reasonable case use for JavaScript? Because I see all these "frameworks" and can't avoid thinking they're the devil.

gz promoting getting debt and no actual skill. getting a job without going to uni is easy as long as you have work to show off.
t. el uni professor

>Is there any decent and reasonable case use for JavaScript?
Yes. It's the default language of the web. Applications are pretty endless. NodeJS on the backend, Electron for desktop apps, etc

>Because I see all these "frameworks" and can't avoid thinking they're the devil.
Learn one of React, Angular, or Vue. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, but frameworks are meant for scale, not microsites. Being allergic to frameworks as a whole will not do good for your career.

>tfw I graduated from a 2 year college course in web dev with a 65% failure/dropout hold-over rate with highest average
>learned everything from java to linux to python, asp.net,IIS django, php, swift, C#, frontend and backend js, SQL and ORM and how to set up servers and environments to run and host all this shit
>pretty much 75% of this github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
>get webdev dream job at vidya game company within a week of graduating
>tfw some guy idly googling css and wordpress "whenever he feels like it" thinks its unfair that he can't get a job because he has to compete with people with actual skills that cost actual money to learn and the youtube guy told him it was cheap/easy/free

Attached: DO02BhDX4AAyUdU[1].jpg (326x293, 13K)

I know you mean well but NodeJS and Electron are abominations that only serve to validate ignorant hipster faggots who think they're the code artisans or some other meaningless title. JS is plagued with problems on the web, why would I want it on the server or desktop?

>frameworks are the devil

No, frameworks are there for two reasons. 1. Multiple people working on the same code base on large apps can learn it quicker, because most frameworks (well, MV* ones) are pretty much the same and prevent people from fucking up. 2. If you can git gewd with a framework you can shit out webapps all day long by yourself.

>he doesn't know about EC6 or typescript implementations

Hows 2014 going?

I'm making the point that JS is flexible enough to be used in those contexts, doesn't really matter what I think because there are always going to be companies look for NodeJS or Electron expertise

>there are always going to be companies look for NodeJS
Yes
>or Electron
No

>>frameworks are the devil
>No, frameworks are there for two reasons
Wait, what frameworks are you talking about? If you mean things like ASP.NET MVC, or Symfony, or Ralis, yeah, OK, those are decent enough. What I meant was React, Vue, Angular and all those turds that are only good for providing a shit client experience.

Angular 5+ is not that bad.

Stupid question:

I got an app consisting of three elements, index.html, js folder and css folder.

Say I want to upload this to github. What is the common approach? Do I need to add a server, some package.json file or whatever? What am I missing?

>using that one guy with THREE WEEKS of programming "experience" who tried to get a job as an example of why other people can't get a job.
Fuck off dude. No shit he didn't get hired.

youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ
Watch this instead of this trash advice.

Every fucking day I see the same same shit, your advice is like that loser who knows his position is threatened so he pretends it's harder to do that job than it really is just to protect himself.

You're just as bad as the absolute flipside where people say "ANYONE CAN DO IT JUST BECUM PROGRAMER EZ 100K"

>Rails is decent enough
>React is somehow worse than rails
Suit yourself, I guess.

You don't need anything else. In fact, you can use github pages to host your code, assuming it doesn't need a server

it does need a package.json for that though, right?

>using that one guy
Every thread has a dude that thinks that that guy's strategy will work though.

But hey, feel free to correct me, write your own version of my post that is more accurate, show me how it should be done.

only to build/webpack it.
Once built, you can upload the js bundle and index.html and they'll work fine.

Like ^ said, only if you need to build it, or install npm modules

>JS is plagued with problems on the web, why would I want it on the server or desktop?

As much as I understand hating on the Electron trend, if you had to make a cross platform piece of software what would you do?

You can go and make native version of your app for Windows, OSX and Linux. You can use one of those C libraries that's supposed to be cross platform but never looks any good and leaves the app looking out of place on all three platforms.
Or you can use Javapoo. Or Javascript.

The difficulty of this choice is why we've had 20 years of Windows only business applications.

posted this in last thread and it got archived.
new to web dev, started with Eloquent JS and I find it hard and time consuming. Should I just keep at it or focus on learning from Mozilla MDN and FCC instead?

As someone who makes 6 figures without a college degree, I think you're right and you're also wrong. I never relied on nepotism, and I never had a blog or anything more than fizzbuzz level shit on my github.

But it was a shit ton of work, and the only reason I was able to make it work was because I enjoyed it so much. I spent a year doing nothing but ricing Linux, doing fizzbuzz in a million languages, and reading all the blogs I could find. I ended up getting recommended for an internship by a friend of mine and landed it.

From there I focused on taking care of all the shit the "real" engineers sucked at or didn't care to do. That made me invaluable, so they hired me on full time. Nowadays, I can walk into any company in a certain niche industry because of my odd, but vital skill set.

All that blogging is to say, yeah, you can definitely get the job without a degree. But, A) it will take time, and B) you're going to need to learn to love programming and computers because no one is capable of working that hard without being passionate about it.

Attached: the_risk_of_open_source_software.jpg (1140x1310, 229K)

Learn the basics and start doing stupid projects. Doesn't have to be original. Doesn't have to be intelligent. It just has to be. That will drive your learning faster than just reading.

If you have a hard time coming up with ideas, do project Euler problems as practice.

>I never relied on nepotism
>I ended up getting recommended for an internship by a friend of mine and landed it.

C) You also need nepotism

I mostly use JS for interactive data visualizations for real-time data. There's not much alternative there.

Note how I said that the post was both right and wrong.

It's a fine line between nepotism and networking, so it's a bit of a gray area. But we had worked on some side projects together before, though, so that friend knew I was capable.

If you're the kind of person who turns down opportunities for stupid reasons like that, then it's no wonder you're having trouble with your career.

Attached: StabHead.png (250x250, 136K)

>If you're the kind of person who turns down opportunities for stupid reasons like that
I don't turn down any good opportunity, we're not talking about me. We're talking about what some random user needs to get a job. Networking is close enough to nepotism, you can add it as a separate thing if you like but it's still not something they're getting from an online course or shitposting in wdg.

So, just if I get down HTML, CSS and Javascript and attempt some ideas It'll be a good start. I'm a neet with an EE degree. I'm doing this because I need a job asap. I don't feel passionate about it just yet but I'm thinking of ideas.

If you "just want a job ASAP" then take wordpress courses, becoming a real web developer is a much more time consuming process than you realise, however being a wordpress web developer is like..Being a bus driver but you have a self-driving bus.

Good advice.

I am someone who really loves web dev; I dedicate all my spare time to development.

What are some good recommendations for monetizing my passion OR landing a job?

All I want is to support myself 100% with web development. Currently I got some part-time jobs.

okay I understand.. it's more that I don't handle being at home well. I can't manage my time in your opinion how long would it take for someone to become good enough to start applying for real web dev jobs? at least I do not want to set up unrealistic goals and give up.

>I don't feel passionate about it just yet
> how long would it take
A long time

that makes sense. thank you. .

I've just started work as a junior django dev but I am struggling to get my head around MVP coming from using ASP.NET MVC at university. I've been working on a large project with lots of abstraction in the models, mixins, filters and views. I think I know my way around the project but I'm having some difficulty conceptualising what elements are M, V or P.
So the models are obviously M, the mixins also seem like they are M seeing as they extend existing models as needed. Similarly, the filters seem like P as they refind the model for presentation. The templates are part of the V, but I'm confused as to whether the view classes (in views.py) are presenters or views... It seems obvious from the file name but it's hard to conceptualise.
Also, how do you create a presenter to interact with a model through a template?

Attached: beavis.jpg (480x480, 29K)

It annoys me that some registrars don't have 2-step verification yet.

How hard can it be man.

In 2019, we are all going to wish we started learning Dart in 2018

it's just the next fadbro framework

Bump because I want answers

I don't really understand why you are even asking that question. There are only three options.
1. Get a job.
2. Freelance / Start your own business
3. Make money online

If you pick number 2 it's entirely up to you to decide which services you provide. And 3 is the hardest to pull off, but if it works then you're set.

>yeah bro, just make it so you can't read the text, they'll click accept anyway!

Attached: kek.png (645x243, 21K)

As a legalbro I'm fairly certain that this doesn't count as informed consent.

All the big sites just say "by continuing to use this site, you agree to ...etc"

Question. I've been rolling 2 years with WordPress, learn frontend and used plugins for any backend i lack at (form handling, https)

should I further my backend knowledge PHP or jump straight into JS Frameworks and learn backend from there?

really tired of using plugins after all these years
>inb4 gitgud

>2 years
>can't even send a form
this is what wordpress does to you

agree. im originally from graphic background and had no prior training or knowledge before this, been using wordpress as my bread and butter

I did apply some form to some simple job, but I lack the confident it would be secure enough for bigger job

You keep on saying those things each thread. Mind showing your portfolio and skillset?

What do you mean plugins for form handling?
If its a form validation plugin then its fine.
What kind of plugin?

>please dox yourself on Jow Forums
haha.
There is no 'proof' that you'd accept that I'd be comfortable giving you. It's irrelevant though because my portfolio and skillset aren't relevant to what I'm saying, which you know is true.

>Open source code for a plain webpage
>It contains over 8000 lines of code
What is the internet's problem?

link

codepen.io/user/pen/XJZjBx.html

PUT /wdg/ IN THE OP YOU FAGGOT

I do not see 8000 lines of code

>be webdev
>wake up at 7am
>shower and shit
>apply beard oil and do general grooming for 30 mins
>hop on public transport
>listen to on the way
>enter office
>it's actually a cool, whacky, modern open floor plan office with no seats and standing desks
>have a decaf s o y latte
>zone out and start thinking of a new business idea (CaaS - Cuckholding as a service) that would surely be profitable in my social circle
>spend 2 hours learning the new meme js library flavor of the month
>have SCRUM meeting like in sillicon valley
>suggest bbc.js to complement jquery
>adds another 20MB to page size but who cares lol
>manager wants to talk to me about my abhorrent performance
>forgot manager's pronouns so I am punished and made to help the other hipsters figure out how git works
>spend 2 hours trying to center a div
>spend the remainder of my day googling buzzwords used by colleagues to try and fit in
>take public transport back home
>feeling hungry
>grab a bottle of s o ylent from fridge
>hurt wrist trying to open it
>bf opens it for me
>tells me he is disappointed and refuses to uncage my trap benis

Such is the life of the average numale hipster web developer. Prove me wrong.

In react+redux, when i dispatch 2 actions in a row, is it guaranteed that reducer for 2nd action will have state modified by 1st action or there will be some racing condition?

Most likely your adblock has blocked css.

Why the fuck do you need to learn Linux for web dev. Also, why didn't you go to college?

>Why the fuck do you need to learn Linux for web dev
There are windows jobs in web dev but there a small minority anywhere I look

>be me
>website users google enterprise email
>client asks me to go through the website's contact inbox and see what problems users are having
>told to fix any that are actual bugs
>every second contact email is 'noname.eml'

Did google change something that would mean all the PHP sent contact emails are coming through as attachments? I'm sure this didn't used to happen, plus it's only every second one.

>PHP sent
How are you forming those emails in php? Are you doing it manually by making header and body from strings? Try something like phpmailer or swiftmailer, your emails are malformed.

>contact form 7 (create form + send email)
>contact form database (form submission goes into mysql, cms with comes with filters, export function for clients)

I'm fine with creating a form with validation, but im pretty much shit in the backend. Next I would want to learn the backend proper but just not sure if php+mysql is right path towards JS framework

I'm using zend mail and attaching headers to it.
I guess it's something to do with mime types but it used to work. I guess I'll just fuck around with it until it works again but I'm wondering what google did that stopped it working, they must have tightened up their tolerance for sloppily built multipart mails or something.

Currently working on a website for fun with an older look and feel (posted an image of it last night but added the other non-default colours now).
What other things could I add to it to give it an authentic late 90's website feel to it.

Attached: gay sheep.png (3592x3700, 495K)

blink tags

Already have those for the link colours, they pulse ever so slightly as to not be too obnoxious.

I'm practicing my javascript/react.

What does /wdg/ think about this tic-tac-toe app I made? I'm sure there is some more efficient way to check the board state but this is what I came up with.

codepen.io/user/pen/GGGvxe

It works pretty well for me (as someone who knows jack diddly shit about javascript/react).
Good job user

A pixelated spinning globe that's far too large.

The dark background makes me think they didn't take into account the white popup (a lot of companies rushed that shit out to comply) but the text color is still being applied as white.

I completely forgot that was a thing back then, also an under construction sign at the bottom that never gets removed in the lifetime of the website.

Attached: you seeing this shit.gif (500x249, 407K)

Attached: EARTHROT.gif (100x100, 113K)

Attached: hevequip.gif (413x100, 6K)

>Why the fuck do you need to learn Linux for web dev.

I didn't *need* to. I wasn't really thinking about getting a job when I was learning this shit. I was just doing what interested me.

That said, my internship started out as a Linux kernel development thing. Then I gravitated toward web dev because it needed doing and all my teammates hated it.

Once I started looking for other jobs, I found a small handful of jobs looking for web devs who knew Linux really well. There's not a huge number of them, but they usually have a hard time finding good people who fit that description. Having substantial skill/experience in both Linux and web dev puts me well above the competition in interviews.

>Also, why didn't you go to college?
I tried, but I never settled on a major and ran out of money pretty quick. I also failed most of my classes.

Look into internships. They pay better than you think, and they're a good opportunity to learn and prove yourself.

Attached: 1518626495392.png (1000x669, 950K)

>Already have those for the link colours, they pulse ever so slightly as to not be too obnoxious.
If you're going for 90s cyberpunk then that will be cool but if you're going for 90s web design then blink is supposed to be obnoxious.

Attached: html_animation.gif (81x81, 7K)

marquee tags, guestbook, hit counter

Don't forget a "built in notepad" or whatever. Ideally as a jpg badge.

It's not bad. You could use some subcomponents here and there, one for the board itself (pass board-state as props) and the squares themselves can be sub-components of the board that render X/O depending on state, which is again passed down as props.

Since checker moves can only tie or win, not lose, you can check for a win state using the last move rather than the whole board. It doesn't really save you much code or processing in that example since the board is so small but in slightly larger games like connect4, it can be a more efficient solution. All you need to do is check the possible win lines that include the last moved piece. That's fairly easily to do in something like a couple of for loops (one for each direction probably) or a function. You'd do something like count horizontally left until you get a board edge, empty square or opponent piece, count right until the same, see how many pieces you counted. Then do the same for each diagonal and vertical.

You can simplify the render method too, do all the conditional stuff at the start, outside the return statement, then just reference local variables. You might find a few of them can be efficiently stored in state and updated elsewhere.

In general, if you can avoid doing processing in render methods, do so, render methods are an expensive place to do processing. Doing it outside the render method also gives you a chance to use the lifecycle functions to avoid updating components unnecessarily.

i agree with you, i'm a web dev that was NEET college dropout at 25, started fooling with red hat, got my rhcsa, started fooling with js, php, mysql. got offered a junior dev spot from a friends mom and during the interview they seemed surprised i was familiar with linux and i think that's how i got on, because i had no experience with angular or react when i started, and i had to learn react in a very short time to become useful but i made it i guess.

i disagree with posters saying you have to have a "passion" for this stuff though. i deliberately set out to get a job making 40k or above when i started, just genuinely trying to get out of neetdom. nowadays, i set aside 3 hours a day on weekends to catch up and learn any new stuff that's becoming trendy for job security. but there's no enjoyment in it it's just work, i would imagine during the neet time before i had a job i was going 8+ hours a day tinkering and learning because i was desperate for stability and structure in my life. the passion and romantic talk about IT work isn't very helpful because you'll rarely experience happiness at the office, it's just getting shit done desu. anyway, thanks for reading this blog post

I could put the time for the animation to finish on a lower amount. 90s cyberpunk would be a good description of what I'm trying to accomplish, instead of epilepsy inducing blink tags I'd like to see it like the dim humming glow you'd get from old neon.
I could post the css3 code I cobbled together for the default style in the next post.

hah I completely forgot about marquee tags, i'll put those in when I get the time.
I'll need to look on how to inplement a guestbook and hit counter (since I never got to use those on old websites I made) but it shouldn't be too hard.

I was considering compliancy badges on the bottom on the page, I should look for a built in notepad++ jpeg if it exists.

It probably looks terrible though.
table {border-collapse:collapse;width:100%;}
td {border:6px double grey;padding:10px;}
ol {margin-left:1em;}
body {
margin:1em;
background:000;
font-family:'courier';
font-size:large;
color:grey;
background:#000000;
img {max-width:100%}
}
a {background:grey;color:black;font-weight:bold;padding-right:.25em;}
.blink {background:grey;color:black;font-weight:bold;padding-right:.25em;}
h1 {text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold;font-size:300%;
color:grey; background:black;
}
img {max-width:100%; max-height:100%;
}
.blink {
-webkit-animation-name: blinker;
-webkit-animation-duration: 8s;
-webkit-animation-timing-function: linear;
-webkit-animation-iteration-count: infinite;

-moz-animation-name: blinker;
-moz-animation-duration: 8s;
-moz-animation-timing-function: linear;
-moz-animation-iteration-count: infinite;

animation-name: blinker;
animation-duration: 8s;
animation-timing-function: linear;
animation-iteration-count: infinite;
}

@-moz-keyframes blinker {
0% { opacity: 1.0; }
50% { opacity: 0.75; }
100% { opacity: 1.0; }
}

@-webkit-keyframes blinker {
}

@keyframes blinker {
}

I don't know how you're building this but ideally, implement all these horrendous things in React components or something and then throw in some responsive design and some reactive components that makes it clear that this atrocity of a website is actually a modern design using the latest in meme technology..

I've never touched django and have very limited python knowledge, but the concept of MVC tends to be pretty much the same across most languages and frameworks(I personally mostly use PHP/Laravel).

It's pretty straight forward once you get the gist. The view is anything that pertains to the DOM. Html and all the elements around it. In laravel this is usualy .blade files (a laravely HTML file type), I don't know if Django has a similar thing.

The controller is where most of your logic SHOULD go imo. Route functions, queries and all that jazz

The model is basically your data turned into an object class. It can contain some logic but it should only really be logic that alters how your data is represented or pulled through. In laravel for example, this is where you might change formatting if you don't wanna do it on the view, or where you define relations/pivots between your models.

That's how I see it but I could be chatting shit because I'm also just a junior myself

Nevermind, misread your question ignore this post

2 late fag

from reddit
>First day on the job as an intern. Here is a snippet of the codebase I'm dealing with

Attached: io1wii3cvr511.png (708x726, 75K)

>link a site I made to a friend
>it's full stack and the very first page is just a login screen you have to go through
>he says its good
>decide to check database later
>still only 1 user

damn wtf, it's not even like you have to put in real info or anything, and the whole thing would only take like a minute to see what's going on at most

why don't you post here retard?

I'll write a script that inserts 500 users in a minute crashing your website

>500 users in a minute
>crashing anything
go away skid

>his website doesn't protect against automatic queries in a short period of time

you're not worth my time anyway

go back

upvoted

And? Looks like some complex query logic

t. enterprise dev

If it's in production, it's been battle tested

Why do people use WordPress for static websites?
Okay, themes, whatever, but you could just as easily download a website template and customize it much easier than using the bullshit WP Dashboard.
Makes no sense.

Anyone ever been part of a code review? What is it like? What are the key things to not do in code that has to be reviewed?

Plugins, content management, easy for non devs to use, etc. Makes plenty of sense.

>Plugins
Sure, i'll give you that.
>content management
What kind of content management could be needed for a static business website?