/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in boards.Jow Forums.org/g/#s=csg

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Umi a best. A best!!

Previous thread:

Attached: 1509786593026.jpg (2012x2016, 514K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report//amp/meier-audio-3-move.php
dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-blue-box-thinksound-iems?mode=guest_open
youtube.com/watch?v=82n0-hxDDVY
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1524070126665.png (1870x1049, 2.52M)

meier audio amps good?

>meier audio
Never heard of. Probably not a good thing.
>quick look
Expensive AF. Seem boutique.
>measurements
A random device that's been measured isn't flat:
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report//amp/meier-audio-3-move.php
That's not a good start. Device isn't cheap either (at ~$500).

HD580 are basically the same thing as the HD600 right?

Attached: Senn PNG.png (561x369, 264K)

No, the FR is different. HD580 are good but HD600's better.
HD580 were released first in ~1994 and HD600 came latter in 1997.

some would argue 580 is better than 600
580 is true neutral, 600 is warmish neutral?

HD600 is neutral-evil.

you know everyone told me not to get anything aside 600s, just stop there be happy
but I didn't listen like a retard and paid $600 for 10% improvement and 20% less comfort.
got pretty nice wake up call saying "fuck audio world and everything related to it!"

Attached: 1516036525492.jpg (1920x1080, 977K)

I'm looking for a pair of in-ears under 100€ to listen music on my phone.

I mainly listen to electronic music

I read that the 1More are the best overall headphones for this kind of usage

Thoughts?

Attached: 51EPljWJgyL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 16K)

to get a few pairs of cheaper IEMs to replace them as they go would be a better use of a €100

I wish she were my gf.

Umi a slut

Thinking of ABXing E10K alone vs E10K+Magni 3 on my HD6XX

Such as?

What DAC would fit the HD800 just right?

and which were those $600 headphones?

Here are my problems with stax:
>no warranty unless you don't import in which case it gets too expensive (in europe at least)
>hard to get replacement parts
>always gotta be paranoid about dust degrading your sound
>uncomfortable stock pads (unless L700 I guess)
>fragile construction
>fatiguing (~10db more than HD600/650/660s in the 6-10k region, basically the same reason DT1990s are bad for 8-18h per day NEET sessions)
>you will never be comfy with these because you will constantly have treble energy smashed into your brain
>using electrostats for things that were recorded/mixed/mastered/intended for dynamic technology, topkek
inb4
>yuropoor
>hurr durr dust cover, have fun having one more unnecessary thing on your mind
>what is EQ

change my mind

dude who cares about what /hpg/ thinks. just get senny hd650 + hd600 and be done with it. that's my endgame and i literally can't care less.

why are you asking people to change your mind when you think you are correct? either state facts or ask a question

Would picking up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 for half price be worth it?

Attached: 414uYGUT4TL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 15K)

piercing treble. bass is a bit lean. not bad if you don't mind that. it's pretty "detailed". decent for a closed back. used to own one. moved onto IEMs instead of closed backs but headphonesa re more commfy.

how much do they differ?

>no feet
garbage

What would you replace jbl E45BT with? Can't turn them on even tho they are fully charged

bumping

Umi is pure

Most of it is bullshit, you're a dishonest retard so there's no changing your mind.

Hmm... how better? I really dislike that kitchen top finish on the HD600.

What are some good headphone/audophile forums?

I have a crack in my headphones, and I'm looking for some advice how to go about fixing it potentially.

Attached: 20180623_092221.jpg (3024x4032, 2.63M)

Superglue it faggot, you shouldn't need the input of 6 million idiots online. In fact you should've just superglued it before you even asked /hpg/.

Have you actually seen them? It looks bad in pictures, but I do actually like the pattern.
And HD600's blue logo is chihaya's and umi's image color.

pretty much

just looking for things I may have missed/not considered, I wanna give stax a shot but the reasons I stated are stopping me

kill yourself

600 has better treble and sounds clearer imo. 650 isn't neutral and is a bit warmer. Some people say 650 has forward mids but I feel like the mid bass is more overpowering so the vocals aren't that great. I don't feel like the 650 is as resolving as the 600 but it's still solid.

You're a disingenuous fucktard. Remove the obvious lies and we can have a discussion.

what are you talking about lol

She has feet. And likes HD600.

Attached: 1508070064355.png (1000x1593, 1.54M)

I don't watch to get into sound which is a personal domain but the biggest issues for me are:

>1. needs special amp which restricts choice
>2. somewhat higher failure rate/defects for current production models which leads to...
>3. after sales service. The rep in my store informed me that STAX won't repair anything bought outside the official distributors

Attached: IMG_20180212_205929.jpg (1600x1200, 1.32M)

>no warranty unless you don't import in which case it gets too expensive (in europe at least)
Not true in the US.
Not true in the US.
Not true at all. Modern stax have built in dust protection membranes (we've been over this multiple to times you lying faggot).
Only true for L300.
>fragile construction
Not true at all.
>fatiguing (~10db more than HD600/650/660s in the 6-10k region, basically the same reason DT1990s are bad for 8-18h per day NEET sessions)
You've never heard them.
>you will never be comfy with these because you will constantly have treble energy smashed into your brain
You've never heard them.
>using electrostats for things that were recorded/mixed/mastered/intended for dynamic technology, topkek
Retard logic. Go buy MDR-7506 then.

they are easy to get, stax sells parts for their decade old stuff
dust does not degrade the sound whatsoever, it can cause a channel imbalance because it makes the membrane heavier. just correct it
the only uncomfortable stock pads are the L300
>fragile construction
no
this is obviously wrong, post measurement comparisons
people report stax to be comfy
they were intended for speakers topkek

These are somewhat more honest criticisms. If you can't afford to get an amp with your headphones then maybe you should be looking at more budget options. Or if your local dealer is shit and won't provide warrantee.

they sell replacement parts.

If you live in NA or Asia it's not so bad since the prices match Japan quite closely but not for us in the UK or Eurozone.

Fuck, I was eyeing the OPPO PM3 for months and now they're out of business. What's the best closed back isolated can now for office and train use?

You can always buy used, it's just harder to find specific models and it takes a bit of patience to get a good deal depending on where you are. If you live in Serbia or something it might be tough but any of the big yuro countries like UK or Germany it should be possible to get a good deal on a used stax system.

Just buy the slider repair kit.

Any thoughts on the Cavalli LCX + SDAC on Massdrop right now?

SONY W1000XM2

HD580 is classic though, which is good

what are you? retarded or something? just glue this shit my dude, are you afraid it will remove some acoustic properties from your device and make it sound like shit? guess what? this shit is all placebo anyway, so kys

pls

LCD2 is great for shitty pop rock with girl singer I like it

Attached: Pudeze.jpg (2283x1285, 1.68M)

does plugging my headphones into an amp give better sound?

Attached: 1524416550431.png (750x1334, 862K)

Probably. It's case per case, but it's way more likely to help than buying a discrete DAC.

Ok then, i have this Rotel amp my dad bought in late 90s and my sister kept fucking leaving it on and it broke, how would i go about fixing it?

You're better off buying a modern amp designed for headphones.
90s is antique. There's chinese amp chips that cost cents and perform better than 90s amps. Even smartphones use them, except the lower end ones.

I generally quite like my LCD-2 for rock and metal.

I looked into them, but that massive dip in the upper midrange/treble scared me away from them.

Attached: 1501044244687.jpg (630x700, 561K)

>chihaya
>umi

Attached: I knew.png (500x350, 45K)

>>fatiguing (~10db more than HD600/650/660s in the 6-10k region, basically the same reason DT1990s are bad for 8-18h per day NEET sessions)
I wear 009 the entire day sometimes

>day 2 of saving up for my orthodynamic planar magnetic HE-500 headphones

Attached: 1522755260802.png (931x693, 1.08M)

shouldnt you buy 2 for when it breaks

Pure slut, yeah

No. Umi is a pure yamato nadeshiko and is the best raburaibu, surpassed only by Maki.

I quite like the Massdrop SDAC. Balanced one is in the works.

52 will last you a year

I don't think /hpg/ knows how potent the HD600/650 and BH Crack combo is. Quite a big jump from the Magni 3 for my HD600 because everything sounds more intense and open if it makes any sense.

One of these days you guys are going to convince to try out the tube meme.

Whats the best sport ear buds?
The last pair I had was the MEE sport M6, and I really enjoyed them

True but I'm not comfortable buying someone's used goods. I'm at the crossroads now, it's either entry level SRS-3100 or tube meme for my HD650 but leaning towards the latter since it's a safer option. I live in Scotland, anything imported is expensive af here.

good choice

Attached: bc196c163979f2960b860527e9640878.jpg (2281x1286, 1.72M)

It helps when 66.6% of metal albums have shit-tier recording.

I'm not him but you could try out this EQ profile for your HD650 for free with your current setup
dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0

Is E10K good enough for HD6XX? I'm getting in on the drop rn

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-blue-box-thinksound-iems?mode=guest_open

Should I buy this? just looking for good iems around $30

Temporarily yeah, but I'd recommend upgrading to a better amp when you can. Do you already own the E10K?

How would you guys rate the ATH-M70x?

Maybe we enjoy metal differently.
To me, metal is the most enjoyable with headphones that are as flat as possible.
Any colouring means the pitch of high-bandwidth strings like the textures used in metal is dragged around, making the strings sound off tune.

terrible

AD-700x plus mod mic, or sennheiser game one (598 with kinda bad mic, at least compared to mod mic)

DT1990
separation,imaging and voices are better for music,anime,tv, but they sound weird in games which is killing me.

how long have you had them for? Every headphone sounds weird until you get used to them.

yes
why do you mean by "better amp"?

I think by better amp he means more powerful

some random's measurements.

Attached: hd 600 series.png (1024x573, 73K)

The difference between being driven "loudly" and driven "properly" is just an audiophool meme right that doesn't stand up to AXB testing, right guys? Wil be my FiiO E10k be enough to power my Audeze LCD-2C?

Someone on reddit said he could get them to a comfortable volume on high gain at 40% of the nob, that means that there's enough headroom for it to sound fine right?

Attached: 1506927961577.jpg (639x960, 62K)

600 > 580 >> notreble veil cannons

Post whatcha listening to!

youtube.com/watch?v=82n0-hxDDVY

Sounds amazing with my HD6XXs.

You know, you could just sell them and feel better knowing you already have the perfect headphones (HD 600).

4 days, been A/B/Cing them with 600s and 598s today apparently 598s are sibilant as hell with some voices, very unexpected, I thought 1990 supposed to be harsh, but they aren't at all they sound very similar to 600 but with better separation.
Maybe they sound odd in games due to being wider, I do not understand yet. I hated 600s in games at first too, but for other reason they were too cramped after 598s.
I really hope these will grow on me too, it is very hard to find high end headphones for games, people talk about separation and soundstage but never test them in games, they are more than fine for music and tv shows/anime.
I really really hate headphones review scene.

Attached: 1509591015310.jpg (1920x1080, 371K)

no real second hand market here in russia, at least I've no clue about it

E10K is USB powered

So what?

That's what I have and I'm done. Now I just need to find speakers that I can afford eventually ;_;
Actually thinking of saving up for Neumann KH 120s. Anyone know if they're worth the cost?

>That's what I have and I'm done
660S.

I feel you. Personally don't think any headphone has the soundstage to replace immersion that speakers provide in games. Most people only think of e-sports competitive games when thinking of headphones. And your desire out of headphones is pretty niche. Most people have only heard shitty speakers and have no idea how better ones can sound in comparison.

Can't run speakers for couple of reasons. I would if I could.
I wonder how are stax for actual games(csgo and the like do not count as a games), my bet they are terrible.

I would recommend this monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567 over it, but it's up to you

aren't they overpriced? when they drop the price like they did with the 700 then maybe we'll talk.

they cost less than 600+650.