Jow Forums approved software recommendations

guys, I'm just a noob and wanted to ask whether my assortment of programs is Jow Forums approved? what programs could I change for better? I thought of changing VLC.
also I guess using an antivirus is my biggest crime

Attached: am i a pleb.png (430x302, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:Windows
spyware.neocities.org/articles/vlc.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>winshit
>antipoo
>ccleaner
>qbitstalled
>revolveruninstaller
>vlc
retard

>caring about waht a bunch of anonymous 15 year old phoneposters think

I get you, but so far I've really liked the Jow Forums recommended software like SumatraPDF is so much better than Adobe, 7-zip than Winrar and foobar and VLC were also a change dictated by Jow Forums's threads

>antivirus
>avira of all things

Attached: 1526148646144.jpg (960x721, 57K)

>installing literally everything you see on ninite
Just stop
You most likely need almost none of that

Sumatra is crap, it barely implements the most basic features

Attached: 1529231132000.png (656x621, 188K)

Uninstall avira and just leave windows defender enabled.
You could check out MPC-HC instead of VLC, but development has stopped now. Otherwise it all looks good.

What basic features do you require from pdf reader, other than reading pdfs and supporting bookmarks?

OP here, the only downside to Sumatra that I see is the lack of an option to highlight text.

We're on board with socialjusticefox now?

Remove avira and foobar. Replace with ClamAV and Audacious/Clementine. Add MPV next to VLC due to being less buggy and having a less intrusive UI.

OP here, last question: what should I use for simple backup of folders? I used EaseUSBackup but I had problems updating it and got rid of it.

Attached: EaseUS-Data-Recovery-Wizard-Free-ikona[1].png (720x370, 51K)

>windows
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>LibreOffice
Cringe, use MS Office instead. Everything else looks fine.

Syncthing

install gentoo

>MS Office
Kys

does it work perfectly offline? i won't have to register or anything?

>offline
Wait, you intend to make backups on the same drive as the original files? What?

Only person who do not use office on daily basis for work would ever recommend LibreOffice.
Recommending LibreOffice over MS Office is like recommending GIMP over Photoshop.

on an external drive

>7zip
Good OS's can do that without external software.
>antivirus
brainlet lol
>calibre
It's alright for freetard software
>ccleaner
top placebo for brainlets
>fooBloatNet2000
no comment
>HexChat
not bad but not really good, use irssi or whatever
>libreOffice
shit
>sjwfox
shit
>mp3tag
use ffmpeg
>netbeans
shit for brainlets
>notepad++
shit for brainlets
>qStalledMeme
doesn't work
>uninstaller
probably malware lmao
>sumatrapdf
bloat
>vlc
shit quality video

2/10

I open pdfs in my browser. Why do you need another program for this, again?

>Recommending LibreOffice over MS Office is like recommending GIMP over Photoshop.
yeah, absolutely suitable for 99% of users

>office on daily basis for work
Less than 1% people do this. So yes, LibreOffice is quite enough. Not to mention that only niche shit is unsupported by it so the chances that you actually need MSO are one in a million.

The problem I have with MS Office is the same as the problem I have with Windows in general: its quality has simply gone down the shitter over time. Office 2010 was top-notch, as was Windows 7. However, Office 2016 is simply a downgrade, as is Windows 10. Meanwhile, LibreOffice and many Linux distros have simply gotten better over the same period. And I don't know about you, but personally I don't see this trend changing anytime soon. I'd rather just switch now to something that is continuously improving, rather than cling to something that simply sucks nowadays.

>Good OS's can do that without external software.
name one

ccleaner is the software equivalent of snakeoil

This.
I had Win10 + Office2016 running on my machine and I switched to Win7 + Office2007 because I couldnt take the pajeetness of modern Microsoft anymore. Win7 and Office 2007 are using way less resources and its also running more stable.
I run Linux Mint 80% of the time anyways but the MS downgrade was still needed.

>no discord in the year 2000+18
topkek

Attached: 1522366280814.png (500x500, 125K)

Holy fucking shit this board is full of script kiddies

MS Office is fucking STANDARD. 99% of people in an office environment use MS Office on a daily basis. And a lot of them are starting to integrate into collaborative platforms like OneNote, Teams, not to mention the plethora of users that use Skype constantly. Add to that the fact that you can de facto install Office 365 to five devices, meaning you can have it at home, Office is a fucking monster. Libre Office is good if you're a student or NEET, but if you have a job, you're going to need fucking MS Office you fucking retards.

>2/10
Right back at you. Half of your "recommendations" were "shit" and "shit for brainlets". Surely improved the thread a lot.

I used it a lot when I had a lot smaller partitions and fought for some free space - it could save a lot of space with a few clicks.
Nowadays I actually don't use it at all, I'd only use it if I wanted to clean history of my activities on my PC for some reason

Nobody is talking about office environments, though.

"pdf reader" is a misnomer
if you have a job you're using pdfs to fill out and sign forms

>all that proprietary malware
OP is a faggot as always.

If you're looking for a pdf reader, sumatra does the job perfectly. If you're looking for more, you're not looking for sumatra.

Fuck off.

Replace:
Revo Uninstaller > Bulk Crap Uninstaller
CCleaner > Bleachbit
VLC > SMPlayer
Avira > Immunet or Clam Win

And I think Tixati is better than qBit, but it's proprietary.

Wondered why you would pick popup filled avira, then I saw VLC and realized it was a troll list. Cute

Most people look at white sheets, specs, gant charts, manuals, and tons of other stuff. If you are doing forms, you have a shitty cubicle job.

avira is shit
libreoffice is shit
vlc is shit
disk encryption on a desktop is pointless

>>mp3tag
>use ffmpeg
nigger what

is uninstalling my antivirus and installing Malwarebytes a good path to choose?

I've heard the same from brainlets using Edge to open long single page pdfs amd complaining because they can't read the blurry mess it renders.

I downloaded Calibre for a little bit because somebody made a plugin for it that removes the DRM from kindle book files. Good shit.

Tixati is ponyfag garbage that isn’t allowed on even the worst private trackers.

Tldr, mso is irrelevant for regular desktop use. If you're using it for work then it will likely only exist on your work computer, in your office, not in your home.
>skype
Again proving you're the 1% of the irrelevant people stuck in their own bubble.

>microsoft office is irrelevant for desktop use
Do freetards genuinely believe this?

>Tixati is ponyfag garbage
Arguments, barneyfag. I want arguments, not boogeymans.

>that isn’t allowed on even the worst private trackers.
And private trackers misses the point of torrenting in the first place, not to mention the forced tedium to download what you don't want just to reach the required ratio. Private trackers are a mistake.

I've only ever used MBAM when I shared a computer with my sister and she got some kind of malware.
For real time protection honestly windows defender is all you need, as long as you're not a moron.
MBAM is helpful once you actually have been infected with something though.

>Supporting layers
>Adding ocr layer to scans for searchability
>Avoiding obfuscators
>Advanced print layouts
gee that was hard

>not using google docs

Meant for:

>google docs

>headless chromium redistribution for talking to kids

roflmao

ffmpeg can modify tags
literally any bsd

>>skype
>Again proving you're the 1% of the irrelevant people stuck in their own bubble.
this is what the blue-collars actually believe

Yeah but why in the fuck would you use a command line tool for something like that

>microsoft office is relevant for desktop use
>Stockholm syndrome this deep

enjoy "your" computer as a service

I use EaseUS to backup my files and it works fine and there's not really a reason to update it

Google docs doesn't even support fucking hyphenation. It's impossible to make good looking documents in Google docs. No one should use that piece of shit website. If you want collaboration there are better alternatives, too.

Enjoy having all your info sold, goy

Go on, how many average home users use LibreOffice for example over office?

yeah fuck that, I tried to find some alternative but ended up just reinstalling the latest version of it

>CCleaner > Bleachbit
>VLC > SMPlayer
Lol no.

I tried other software too. If you don't care much about your OS since Windows 10 is free and easily reinstalled and activated, EaseUS is all you need.

zip
>OK
>>antivirus
>Defender
>>calibre
>OK
>>ccleaner
>Garbage
>>fooBloatNet2000
>aimp
>>HexChat
>
>>libreOffice
>
>>sjwfox
>Chrome
>>mp3tag
>OK
>>netbeans
>OK
>>notepad++
>vs code
>>qbit
ok
>>uninstaller
>geek uninstaller
>>sumatrapdf
>foxit or edge
>>vlc
>PotPlayer

You don't need to validate yourself in a mongolian tool making technology board. If you are a normie and just want to do what normal people do in a computer then this list is okish I guess.
>Antivirus
Windows defender is more than enough.
>Archives
7zip
>Cleaner
ccleaner is ok I guess
>Music
If you really need one, then foobar or musicbee
>Office
LibreOffice or chinese botnet WPS Office
>Internet
Firefox but botnet chrome is faster
>IDE
I remember netbeans being slow as a turd but that was in windows 2000. Try not to rely on IDEs and use Notepad++ for editing.
>Torrent
Qbittorrent or utorrent 2.2.1 build 25302
>Uninstaller
You don't need one. Use the registry cleaner of ccleaner if you are this paranoid.
>PDF
SumatraPDF
>Encrypted container
TrueCrypt
>Audio/Video
MPV. Lurk in those mpv threads and make your own config according to your preference. Or MPC if you are lazy or want a GUI.

Also lurk more and next time post these stupid shit in /sqt/ instead of killing a thread.

>lurk more!
>spoonfeeds anyway
retard

Why would you need anything more complex than a command line tool for such a basic task? How much of a brainlet does one have to be to need a GUI wrapper around a small family of compression algorithms?

If no one cared, Jow Forums wouldn't exist

>literally any bsd
packaging in the 7z library, right? external software?

Not sure what you're looking for, but I think this thread can help you Pic related, its my post

Attached: tools.png (1000x400, 153K)

Nobody uses Firefox anymore, install Chrome or Edge.

OP here, I threw away my antivirus and substituted VLC with MPC, I think albeit Foobar is something crashing I like it too much to change it
thanks

All average home user needs is Google Chrome. Youtube, Facebook, Netfllix, GMail, Google Docs, etc. all work inside web browser

no "average home user" uses google docs lol

Where is:
Photoshop, Premiere pro, VS code, Bitwise SSH, Powershell, VMWare and Tor?

This is what you're looking for
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:Windows

I've tried firefox these past few weeks, but it's actually slower the chrome. it just end up hanging a lot when refreshing pages, unlike chrome.
what should i switch to? i used chrome before, is it really that 'bad'?

>he fell for the "chrome is a botnet" meme

Attached: 1511203308940s.jpg (61x48, 1K)

edge

No
How much ram do you have? Maybe you have to tweak your browser

why not

Windows? Why not Haiku? TempleOS? OpenSolaris? You must be gay.

Botnet, and in general is inferior to any other browser

I can understand the botnet part but its on par in most regards with others
what specifically?

It just worse than other browsers. It's slower and it doesn't let you install extensions.

it has extensions and speed is on par with other browsers

>Any music player not musicbee

Let's do the botnet count

>ccleaner
>(((mozilla))) firefox
>qbit
>VLC

Kill yourself, disgusting newcomer

Attached: download.png (645x729, 70K)

>he thinks chrome 'botnet' is a meme

Attached: 1425956529574.jpg (639x481, 29K)

What's wrong with qbit?
>inb4 stalled

VLC it's not botnet, all the internet features can be disabled and it does respects your decisions
spyware.neocities.org/articles/vlc.html

Nothing, this guy is stupid

>DDG
Not even once. They sell your info just as much as google.
Use searx.me instead

Very good articles on there but I have to disagree with them having a software phone home to see if there's been an updated version released "spyware".