Just moved from a MacBook 2009 to a ThinkPad X200, not shilling for apple here, but how the fuck can you use that thing?

Just moved from a MacBook 2009 to a ThinkPad X200, not shilling for apple here, but how the fuck can you use that thing?

>Screen is fucking dogshit, i cant look at it from more than one angle without it washing out and looking like vomit
>TrackPoint is retarded, its hard to get used to but is possible and it wouldnt be an issue if it didn't give me fatigue after more than an hour of use
>Thing creeks and makes weird noises when i type on it
>Line out is muffled and sounds like a dead tv is shrieking its guts out at me when i play any song
>Thing is overheating like crazy, temps when i watch a single youtube vid in 720p creep up to 85C. Not that i was able to notice it because of the thick plastic, i figured it out when it started shutting off because of it

Other than durability and linux compatibility why the fuck are you shilling for this dogshit computer?

Attached: 188236-lenovo-thinkpad-x200.jpg (275x250, 12K)

i've seen what happens to macbooks that old, they literally start falling apart from normal use.

Mine was fine lol, i guess its a lottery with every computer you buy... I wanted to move from horrible OS X so i figured it would be better to get a computer that works best with Linux

Why did you choose the X200??
I have a HP Elitebook 2560p but I think about switching to a X230 with IPS Display.
The 2560p is a TN panel that is dark af, completely unusable since I use a Lenovo 710S ultrabook with a bright FHD IPS as my main computer.
The X230 has the same IPS display like the X220 but the X230 is a more stable device with a backlit keyboard.
I think the X230 is the perfect device - sturdy, good support, good display.
The Lenovo 710S sucks because the bios doesnt allow running Linux (and it doesnt have removable battery)
thanks for reading my blogpost

macfag can not appreciate real technology

Because i sold my MacBook for 200$ and that was all i could get... I bought it from a refurb store on ebay

> poorfag

never buy refurbs, just get a ****used**** x220 off ebay for like $100, give or take

sounds like you got a good one, what's the problem?

Whoever decided on the fn key placement is a certified fuckface. I have had mine for 5 months and my success rate on hitting the ctrl key is like 83% it's the only keyboard I've ever used that is set up like that.

>buy dinosaur computer
>waaah the screen is bad
what did you think would happen

should've just installed linux on the macbook

>get broken old as shit cuck2duo thinkpad
>doesn't even do the absolute bare minimum and replace thermal paste and dust the vent ports
>"oh no, how could this bad experience happen to me ;_;"

Attached: 1528933045197.jpg (568x574, 68K)

I once wanted a thinkpad, but something like the X220t barebones costs $430+ USD here.
I really want the wacom support though.

>didn't upgrade to the ips panel
>basedfingers over here can't move his finger for more than an hour
>creaking is pretty normal
>audio on a business machine
>didn't replace thermal paste

Actually all of your criticisms are pretty valid except for the overheating, you do need to maintain you stuff.
>shoulda gotten an x61

Want something to get shit done? Buy a P series thinkpad. Looking for a media device but want to stay away from Apple? Get a Chromebook. Seriously. The $250-ish models have some insane build quality, screens, sound, and battery life. Literally untouchable by anything else in their price range (barring some crazy good deal on used tech).

t. Thinkpad T420 owner since forever and I see all of it's glaring flaws.

Works fine on my machine

Attached: dance.gif (149x175, 754K)

I love the trackpoint, I don't even use Thinkpads but I wish all laptops had trackpoints and no trackpads at all.

Same here, and because of that i can't upgrade my X61t to anything, literally 0 suitable replacements.

lmao i bought my x200 for $80 off criagslist

tfw got X200s for 40eur in eu

Attached: 1526760414879.png (1920x1080, 934K)

I hope you're joking
Refurbished electronics usually come from prestige companies (airlines, wall street, etc), at least it's highly unlikely for someone to have done pic related on it while in the office

Attached: 1497596879922.jpg (1200x1600, 862K)

>>Screen is fucking dogshit, i cant look at it from more than one angle without it washing out and looking like vomit

>Not upgrading to an IPS screen.

>>TrackPoint is retarded, its hard to get used to but is possible and it wouldnt be an issue if it didn't give me fatigue after more than an hour of use

Lol

>>Thing creeks and makes weird noises when i type on it

I'm guessing you got this one in pretty bad condition. I've yet to have this issue.

>>Line out is muffled and sounds like a dead tv is shrieking its guts out at me when i play any song

It's ... a laptop speaker. My mac isn't much better.

>>Thing is overheating like crazy, temps when i watch a single youtube vid in 720p creep up to 85C. Not that i was able to notice it because of the thick plastic, i figured it out when it started shutting off because of it

New thermal paste, mate. It's an old laptop.

it would indeed be better with a high resolution screen and proper dac instead of the shitty hda chip.

the pre intel apple laptops look really bad because they used some really low quality plastic on them while thinkpads that are much older can look like new.

there were thinkpads with high resolution screens when they were still made by ibm. that was when almost every laptop had 1024x768 screens.

i like using the trackpad with the trackpoint buttons.

I got memed into buying an x220. I regret the fuck out of it: terrible screen, getting the drivers was a bitch, ancient hardware, the bub feels like shit, stupid key layout (fuck the fn key placement) and the battery life is low and replacement batteries are expensive.

mine has a good screen and gentoo has all drivers and the battery lasts 10 hours and the keyboard is better than anything new laptops have.

I don't even understand why people are so obsessed with Thinkmemes, when Dell Latitude laptops are better and cheaper.

the fact you bought a 1366x768 laptop proves what a worthless retard you are

Guerilla marketing campaign banking off thinkpads being available for extremely cheap on ebay.

Jow Forums is a marketing board, just like /v/, it's not about technology, it's about advertisers selling you products.

x220/x230 would be ok if they had at least 1440x900 resolution. since they dont, the x200s/x201s are better

youre a fucking retard. you could get an x200s with 1440x900 display for like $150

Can you core/libreboot (((dells)))?
No? Then shut the fuck up

Attached: librebootJpg.jpg (1200x1200, 31K)

>buying an x200 for 200$
I could see it for a fully spec'd out T420 but not an X200.

>x220/x230 would be ok if they had at least 1440x900 resolution. since they dont, the x200s/x201s are better

The FHD mod for the x230 is great. It is a completely different laptop.

Attached: photo_2018-06-22_23-56-10.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

you bought something without researching the limitations of it. you're on Jow Forums acting like a 52 year old women in a retail store, get ahold of yourself.

x200 is 1200x800

Which Chromebook do you recommend that has good Linux compatibility? Do any Chromebooks have dedicated home/end/pgup/pgdn keys?

ITT: op falls for Jow Forums memes

first of all, 1366x768 is fucking retarded. the only possible excuse to buy a laptop with such a garbage resolution is if you are at least getting the ips model. since you said the screen sucks,, its obvious you got a fucking laptop with a 1366x768 TN panel. How fucking retarded can a person be?

I did too, and my thinkpad died because water spilled on the keyboard

I've now realized all laptops are fucking trash.

>Get a Chromebook
I can never get a straight answer on this:
Can you, regularly and normally, boot a regular linux live usb on an ARM chromebook, install it on to the device's internal storage, and thus completely wipe ChromeOS off the device permanently?
If so, please explain the steps by which this would be done. Until then I consider you a shill for the Google botnet

someone plz answer

right, sorry, still below the minimum acceptable of 1440x900

is it one of the weird hacks that use the displayport connector

Can you core/libreboot (((dells)))?
No? Then shut the fuck up

yeah but how hard is the mod? when i looked into it it looked like a pita. and i repair electronics 40 hours a week.

>implying Jow Forums ever recommended a 1200x800 thinkpad

>thinkpads being available for extremely cheap on ebay

They aren't even that cheap anymore, at least not the good models in decent condition.

It uses the secondary displayport from the docking connector. It doesn't do anything to the displayport on the side.

The tricky bit is the sense wire. You have to solder a wire that looks like a strand of hair to a resistor the size of a grain of sand. The rest of it was pretty easy.

Attached: photo_2018-05-22_18-50-51.jpg (1280x720, 94K)

2 things
1st, many chromebooks are x86
2nd, yes, you can run linux on an arm chromebook. however, each arm device needs its own specific installer, generally

You must have one that wasn't cared for or abused. I have 3 X200 all with libreboot, and they work great for all my tasks including FPS gaming. I have the dock as well which lets me output to a 1080p monitor over displayport.

>yes, you can run linux on an arm chromebook
with that linux being installed on the internal storage? removing any and all traces of ChromeOS?
I've seen at least 3 ways to "run linux" on a chromebook, and they all seem to amount to some kind of soi 'dual boot' setup.
Another thing. Libreboot has pic related in their documentation for the C201 chromebook. Does this mean that it would also be possible to flash a different coreboot onto any regular chromebook, possibly with a different payload?
Also, there would be no point in getting an x86 chromebook. My entire interest in the matter is due to the fact that these are non-x86 laptops that on a hardware level would be free from the Intel and AMD backdoor shite.

Attached: screw.png (1056x393, 129K)

I connected my libre x200 to a 2560x1600 monitor. It worked well, but I upgraded to an x230 so that I could hack in a 1080p screen and the classic keyboard.

I compiled and installed coreboot, but you still need a couple nonfree blobs. I've stripped ME though, so most of it is gone.

maybe you should downgrade to the X60s, OP

Attached: DSC_6502.jpg (2000x3008, 1.14M)

Even for a tb panel it's terrible: it's grainy as hell and doesn't even look right head-on.

What is it called when men feel sexual arousal from laptops

autism

What if you have autism and sexual arousal for laptops?

nice botnet. It's a shame too because those are super easy to libreboot

>>TrackPoint is retarded, its hard to get used to but is possible and it wouldnt be an issue if it didn't give me fatigue after more than an hour of use
Your other criticisms are valid, but this one is retarded. Everyone who has ever actually gotten used to the trackpoint (only takes a week of forcing yourself to use it) knows that this is the optimal way of using a laptop. The idea of integrating a mouse into the keyboard environment is a great idea and the main reason to get a ThinkPad.

>Screen is fucking dogshit, i cant look at it from more than one angle without it washing out and looking like vomit
Check which type of screen you're getting before you buy next time. Buy an aftermarked one that isn't shit.
>TrackPoint is retarded, its hard to get used to but is possible and it wouldnt be an issue if it didn't give me fatigue after more than an hour of use
git gud. your clit-teasing game must be weak as fuck
>Thing creeks and makes weird noises when i type on it
Welcome to last-gen Thinkpad keyboards. Some like them. I think they were shit.
>Line out is muffled and sounds like a dead tv is shrieking its guts out at me when i play any song
Fix your drivers, probably.
>Thing is overheating like crazy, temps when i watch a single youtube vid in 720p creep up to 85C. Not that i was able to notice it because of the thick plastic, i figured it out when it started shutting off because of it
So you probably didn't buy one that had been cleaned. Tear it down, clear the dust out, and apply thermal paste

Also why the fuck would you buy an antique. Fucking T430's aren't that expensive.

he got it refurbished.

refurbished literally means nothing

The X200 has no trackpad.

Threads like these show that modern laptop makers are intimidated by Jow Forums and our love for older Thinkpad from the era of real actual keyboards.

There is metadata leakage here from the shills. Shills never shill against stuff that isn’t important to their bosses. There aren’t the resources. Threads like these are a worried whinge from (((retailers and manufacturers))) and it’s hilarious.

Attached: 62725A29-21AE-4FCA-B6EA-ADC227B8B1F9.jpg (2048x1365, 437K)

You got ripped off. I'm using a x201 (which has better specs) right now I got for 100 off ebay. Yours also sounds like it's in horrible condition while mine looks new and runs cool.

X201 is hardly any better and you can't libreboot it.

"refurbished" means
>changed the thermal paste
>installed windows

it's a complete meme and only fallen for by someone who's so stupid they can't change some paste

x240 for 200€, e480 on the way

>buying an old piece of shit and surprised when it's an old piece of shit

Attached: image.jpg (424x307, 39K)

uh, you realize you can swap that in the bios, right...

i got refurbished x240 for 200€
new paste, new keyboard paint,ssd(mby used but low TBW),new battery, carbon skin on lid.
windows 10/7 code taped under battery.

looks like new and i would rather go with refurbished than used

based

>x200
core2duo P8600 (in mine at least)
2gb RAM max
Comes standard with a 160gb HDD

>x201
4gb RAM
i3 330M, i5 540M, or i7 640m
most sell with larger hard drives but there's still no reason not to just put an SSD in it

I own both and the x201 is much better.

Sometimes you get a better price.
Then should've gotten a new one, don't know what you expect for something that old.

You're a fucking moron. My X200 has 8gb of ram. And a first gen i series is barely an improvement over a p8600