I'm an unemployed sysadmin in St. Louis. I havn't been able to find a job in over a year. I've gotten a Sec+, CCNA R+S...

I'm an unemployed sysadmin in St. Louis. I havn't been able to find a job in over a year. I've gotten a Sec+, CCNA R+S, and CEH in the last year on my own time since if I'm gonna be unemployed, might as well be unemployed doing more fun shit than sysadminning or devops faggotry.

I got a junior pentesting offer from a company in NYC. 85K. Should I take it? Is COL there that insane? Is it better than being unemployed in St. Louis? People who have moved across the country, did your social life recover? I really dont want to leave my family and close friends behind.

Attached: business.jpg (600x913, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

smartasset.com/taxes/new-york-tax-calculator#AD2XMrHv5e
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>People who have moved across the country, did your social life recover?
This is Jow Forums you are talking to.

85k NYC is way too low user. you need to look for $110-120k range at least. I didn't have a social life to begin with so it wasn't an issue. 85k is them low balling you.

I also live in STL. I went to Launchcode to get programming training if you have heard of it its off delmar loop. Its an 8 week coding bootcamp. Unfortunately I am still unemployed. I have been going back to school for my business degree.

So even though I don't have much, if any, infosec experience (just 2-3 years as a sysadmin), 85 is lowballing me? Shit man. Salaries there are fucking insane. I'd need to work for at least 5 years, probably more like 7, here to get to that range.

Dude, we might have been in the same LC class. I left after the second segment since codemonkeying isn't something I want to do. I also got my Info Systems degree from UMSL.

Not surprising the Launchcode thing hasn't worked out. The program seemed really sloppy.

All in all I'm getting really jaded on the STL tech job market.

Attached: 1504975918444.jpg (613x1024, 90K)

lol /thread

yeah it was sloppy. I was in the program last year and then i was a teaching fellow for the class earlier this year.

I have had a few interviews through launchcode but i suck and nothing panned out.

I am getting my business degree through Mizzou online.

Attached: 2d12d2e7c4afae49d5f7cb21ff1dfd4f--google-search-the-great.jpg (236x175, 11K)

>People who have moved across the country, did your social life recover?

No, not on satisfying level. It get's gets hard with age when more and more people you work with either have families and those who don't are most of the time are incel gaymers.

Attached: 1528392330154.jpg (670x671, 79K)

>CEH

Attached: snappy.gif (1080x793, 1018K)

Fuck, yup, this is what I'm worried about. All my friends here are really close, known each other for a decade or more. Having that has helped me though some tough shit.

At the same time though, unemployment is a bitch. Dating life is frozen. Just bad.

It was ezpz and HR cunts seem to like it, suck my dick shrek

Attached: waterfilters.gif (480x270, 2.25M)

should've went for the OSCP if you really had that much free time

By the way, what company in New York? Too many shitty money grabbing companies in infosec these days.

Yeah I was thinking about the OSCP, didn't know how difficult it was or wasn't. It's also expensive as fuck.

It's a hospital, don't want to get more specific than that. Probably explains why they offered 85k which someone else said was lowballing.

I plugged in 85k here:

smartasset.com/taxes/new-york-tax-calculator#AD2XMrHv5e

That's about 59k left after taxes, not calculating 401k contributions or anything. A 1 bedroom is around 2k per month, more actually in better areas, but we'll say 2k, which is 24k per year.

That leaves you with 35k left to spend, save, whatever. Assuming 50/week on groceries, which is a bit high, that's another 2600 gone. Factor in transit, hydro, and internet, and you're probably down another 5k a year. So if you're happy with 28k disposable income after tax, sure.

That sounds like a lot to me, but I'm used to living on a 35k salary here, and made 54k for a bit and had more money than I knew what to do with.

If you're below 30 and have no long-term girlfriend, wife, or kids, absolutely go for it.

op i went from memphis, to stl, and now im in seattle. you're correct that the stl job market is shaky, and im just a webdev code monkey. your social life will never be the same, and 99% of people that move for better opportunities don't have close friends, they're all acquaintances based on utility. your family and close friends from childhood should be held onto if you can, but having income is important too.

most people feel the void and rush to start a family to fill that social void at home, other completely isolate and either sexpat, or try to bang tinder whores. i chose the sexpat route based on what was in front of me and the fact that despite being tall i'm pretty average but i can get laid in asia. take inventory of what you want/your strengths and weaknesses and act accordingly. the world is a cold and bleak place, i shouldn't have to tell you that family, whether you create one or your mommy and daddy can turn on you, and so can old close friends.

Attached: tsstu.jpg (559x568, 19K)

I think that's the problem with all major tech cities like SF, NYC, and Seattle. Everyone's only there to climb the ladder and then get out after a few years.

Why do you say that? Yes, I'm 27 and have none of those things, and not much of a prospect of gaining them while I sit here in my parents house. The main thing giving me pause are friends and family.

>and 99% of people that move for better opportunities don't have close friends, they're all acquaintances based on utility.

jesus christ this is bleak. Doesn't sound fulfilling at all. Am I basically just fucked?

Attached: 1507064719258.jpg (2048x1581, 322K)

I will say that I don't intend to stay there for life if I accept the offer. I can't see myself raising kids in a place like SF or NYC.

I say that because the offer is not bad (it's not top-of-the-line, but you won't be a pauper either), and will help you potentially be competitive in the market back in St. Louis if and when you go back home. Go to NYC, see the world, get a chance at going even higher, and when you've had enough go home.

This seems like the best case scenario. Thanks user.

>Sec+, CCNA R+S, and CEH
What does that qualify someone for? Clicking through installers?

Sounds like a decent gig. I can't comment on the pay as I live in LCOL. I work infosec at a hospital. Typically hospital security is very poor and you will get a ton of experience but I would plan on hopping after a couple years.

>is a sysadmin whose profession has been shrinking for over a decade
>yet scoffs at developers making actual money
kys yourself flyover fatass

>Go to NYC, see the world, get a chance at going even higher, and when you've had enough go home.

user you should do this. Most men who have made something of themselves have had to do this at some point in their lives. Your friends and family will always be there for you. Don't be scared of this.