*Doubles your power bill*

Attached: Window Unit Ac Repair Cost Factors.jpg (1000x667, 687K)

>being poor

no joke in the summer I pay10 times more not double

>paying for private corporations

Attached: 1524414197700.jpg (356x425, 33K)

>not living in military barracks so you dont have to worry about paying off the electricity bills
top kek

Canadian summers are comfy, rarely feel the need for more than this lil qt parked next to my battlestation.

Attached: honeywell.jpg (1200x1200, 114K)

+1 Honeywell

>pulls air from other apartments, defeating the purpose

>He doesnt have central air

Don't tell me you're living in an apartment, user...

Only happens if you have negative pressure.
Pic doesn't create negative pressure.

I have both a room a/c and central air.
Depending on the setup you have and the distribution, you need both. This is why I laugh at overclocking. The heat a serious rig dumps into a room is massive.

It's not that expensive though. Space heaters on the other hand.

Attached: 044387975070.jpg (900x900, 55K)

then you get shit on by rain/snow

Link me

>mfw I have state-funded solar panels and therefore free energy
I should run a crypto farm.

Attached: muskdance.gif (287x713, 320K)

Attached: 1522804814552.jpg (640x360, 53K)

the ones I have had do, where the cooled air is less than half of the volume of the intake, and the rest is exhausted through a hose. It's literally just pissing money down the drain.

It only goes up by about $20-25 a month. I think the comfort is worth it. To put that in terms Jow Forums will understand: "It’s less than a coffee a day at one of these nice coffee places."

I got a central air unit installed and my summertime electricity bill has gone from $45 to $60. Percentage-wise, yes that is a big increase, but I'm not so poor that I would spend 3 months of the year living in misery just to save a few bucks.

>Canadian summers are comfy
Where the fuck in Canada are you? I live in Ontario and the summers here a hot, muggy and humid as fuck. Everything sticks to you. The sweat doesn't evaporate. You can't sleep at night because the air inside your house/apartment, which has been heated all day, is so fucking stifling. That being said, when I lived in Airdrie (Alberta) for a year, I found the summers generally pleasant. It could get really hot but it was a very dry heat.

as someone who buys the cheapest generic-brand coffee at the grocery store, I just leave the AC off and open a window. Even in a midwestern US summer where it's 90-something degrees F and humid. There's a lot of nice things that I'm way too cheap to spend $25 a month on, even when I have plenty of cash.

>The heat a serious rig dumps into a room is massive.
so this is the power of Nvidia

Some portable A/Cs have dual hoses and thus work like central AC units. For the ones that don't, you only need jimmy rig a feed house to outside and shroud the hot air exhaust portion of it. Speaking of which I need to make this more efficient this weekend.
Not sure about the window units... I thought the benefit of them was that the hot section is completely outside and has a fan for that whereas the inside is sealed off thus having zero air exchange w/ the outside? My only problem is that you can't have such shit hanging out of a window where I am located. The stand up portable units have a seamless external interface

How good are these newer window units? (Ain't used one for about 15 yrs due to central air). I know the older ones would last like 20+ yrs before taking a big shat.

>Not opening the windows on either end of the house with box fans in each window drawing air through the house

Air conditioning is for rich 1st-world degenerates with such narrow comfort zones that they shrivel up and die if they detach from Facebook or Tumblr for more than 5 minutes. Good, consistent mass air flow is all you need to feel cooler, user.

I think its ridiculous that some regions don't have A/C. I indeed experienced this staying at a condo in Canada. I was shocked that such a nice place had no A/C. Shit was a fucking swamp in the summer. Night-time was unbearable as the heat/humidity seemingly didn't subside. Shit put me into RAGE MODE

Yes user. I have about 38 cores of computing power and 5 GPUs among them. I don't run them flat out but they do put out a sensible amount of heat. So much so that it makes sense to pull and vent the heat at night while pulling in outside air. I have a ghetto cold/hot aisle setup

seems like I live in the best zone, goes barely over 30 °C in the summer and -5°C in the winter

my apartment complex has one port for a hose, which is shrouded, but not a second one for the intake. Also with multiple floors of units under me likely running ac, the intake would be fucked anyway.
funny thing is the cooled air vent and intake both face the same way so if you pointed it at an open window it wouldn't work at all

>doesn't use split unit with inverter
nigga window unit are the worst

Not everyone can get 220v.

Those suck without a good fan blowing through them.

they tell you exactly how much power they draw when you buy it.

A minisplit system is the most effecient. its like a window ac except the compressors are outside, separate from the silent fans inside. compressed and decompressed coolant is piped back and forth through insulated in-wall pipes. no window necessary

Can't do this shit if you live in a noisy area.

maybe you missed the part where he mentioned narrow comfort zones and first world problems.

Continuous exposure due to noise will literally make you sick and shorten your lifespan.
It will affect even those with bigger comfort zones eventually. You probably don't want to shorten your life even if you're a 3rd world country cockroach and poorfag.

A/C is a necessity in Eastern Canada and a "should-have" in the BC lower mainland. It gets quite cool at night in the prairies and the BC interior, so you can do without by closing all your blinds during the day and just opening the windows around ~6pm. I lived in a low-rent apartment when I was a student/intern in Toronto and it was just fucking unbearable in the summer. Thought I could deal with it but 30 degrees at 10pm was just not cool. I eventually caved and bought a portable 5000 BTU A/C unit from Costco when they went on sale.

If only the entire planet were this comfy

My window unit only had one hose, not entirely sure how it worked to be quite honest

>Not sure about the window units.

I assume they work exactly like split units?

> mfw city fags never will understand this thus why raging impatient and inhuman cultures pervade major cities.
Yeah, the compressor and heat coil portion sit in the bottom and have an intake compartment. The top has the cool coils and an intake compartment. For single hose, just throw insulation around the exhaust pipe and put a ghetto shroud around the bottom and attach another hose and put it to a window w/ a nice seal. The top part pulls room air. So, it pulls outside air to cool the bottom hot coils and exhausts it right back outside. For the inside air it just circulates across the cool coils. Its shit they even sell single hose but you can ghetto rig it for way cheaper than dual hose. If you take a dual hose apart this is essentially all they did. You get a huge efficiency bump by putting insulation around both hoses to keep the heat from transferring into the inside of your place.

WINDOW units don't have any hoses do they?

We're not talking about PORTABLE units.
If you rig a second hose to a PORTABLE unit designed with just one (exhaust) hose you will only make a bad situation worse.

Attached: window-air-conditioner-buying-guide-hero-572247955f9b58857db37ff0.jpg (735x418, 56K)

>living in the barracks in 2009 when I first learned about bitcoin mining
>shrugged it off as a fad

Anyone ever experience a Mississippi summer? The average temperature is around 95, which isn't too bad, until you factor in the ever present 100% humidity. If you go outside, its difficult to draw breath. You might feel as though the air itself is trying to crush you. Not a single person is exempt from infinite swamp ass, sweating out any liquid the body has ever taken in, leading to lethargy and dehydration.