Bought additional GPU

>bought additional GPU
>spent entire day dicking around with Linux settings
>that's just to get virtual OS to boot with the gaming GPU
>another whole day dicking around with VM settings to get it to run better
>main monitor is dedicated to VM and even if it's available to main OS it updates at 15 fps over the PCI bus
>ultimately cucking out and using Windows
>benefits over just using Windows are marginal at best
What Jow Forums memes did you fall for, m8s?

Attached: 1454058170644.jpg (528x480, 37K)

>ShitLI
>windows
>gayming
You check all the boxes, welcome to reddit!

Why would you get a gaymen GPU let alone two if you run Loonix?
There's literally no reason to.

All good games and professional software is Windows exclusive or Windows/macOS at best.

>guys i didn't check compatibility before i bought something this is linux's fault
ok

One game I like gets a sequel soon but it doesn't get native Linux build until much later, so I thought I'd give GPU passthrough a go. It works fine but god damn you might as well just use Windows.

>SLI
why

gpu passthrough has made great strides but it's still a very new concept
Before you do it you should have checked your hardware for compatibility, installed fedora and if you use looking glass you don't need another monitor or anything

Keep in mind only a year ago this is fucking wizardry and now you can mostly get everything working by just copy pasting a few commands into a script.

I did and it works, my point is that it's a lot of effort and all of it amounts to installing a slightly worse than normal running Windows. The whole thing strikes me as pointless, you basically get all the inconvenience of having separate machines and all the inconvenience of having them run on the same hardware simultaneously, with the only benefit of not having to buy a dedicated Windows (or Linux) machine.

No, you get the benefit of a sandboxed windows that can play and stuff without the botnet.

>windows
>sandboxed
>without the botnet
Yeah nah. It's the same virus and anal probe ridden crap like bare metal Windows. But I guess you can play the solitaire on the host system while it reinstalls, yeah.

Attached: 1396899653291.png (583x556, 206K)

Nice blog
>SLI
Whom'st'd've are you quoting?

only stupid people and people working with computers(probably hourly pay so they do everything as slowly as they can) manage to use so much time for simple things.

>I don't like anything, am I cool yet?!

Attached: icon.jpg (600x600, 55K)

>trying to justify the trifecta of shit
Hilarious and pathetic

Attached: 454F15D8FDFF4D9788F1F8C2BA110F8D.png (746x629, 157K)

Windows is objectively the best stock rating system with the most and software compatibility, and video games are fun. stop trying so hard to be ironically detached from everything.

Just dual boot and have your Linux partition encrypted. If some botnet shit gets into the Windows install, it's not going to be able to fuck with the Linux partition.

I like videogames, I'm just laffing at you switching to windows just for video games along with meme SLI.

Attached: 1.jpg (286x327, 20K)

>we're hitting levels of lack of reading comprehension that shouldn't be possible

>He uses expressions he doesn't know the meaning of

Attached: 1529362786542.png (925x711, 32K)

your mobo a shit and/or your cpu a shit
gpu pass through with a 5820k, HD7970(gen2) and 1080ti(win7) here, works fucking flawless, getting 5 frames less than native performance on all gayms

Attached: 1529552688254-g.png (1600x960, 403K)

>want wife to play WoW with me
>get two 1080 tis, for ultra framez
>get two keyboards, two mice, make sure hdmi can connect to tv
>awyeah.jpg
>figure out how to get two keyboard/mice running at same time
>keybinds only work on one keyboard and mouse, oh well
>have to use wayland or some shit i believe, set up the files myself for it to work
>my frames arent optimized, cant get that "just right" feel
>aster on windows is okay but still only uses one gpu like my last setup
>try to get gpu passthrough to work
>just doesnt werk
>fuckyou.jpg
>spend a week straight trying to make it work
>still just doesnt
>FUCKYOU.JPG
>sell one gpu because WoW runs good enough and wife is on mobile game now anyways
>tfw linux just wont werk with my obscure setup

feels mediocre man

Are there any benefits other than obviously not having to reboot to switch OS?

No. That's literally the whole point. There's also a drawback - you're only getting a fraction of system resources, plus the VM overhead.

did you ever consider 2 computers?

Holy fuck your brain must be tiny

Attached: zebramistake.jpg (480x316, 37K)

What virtualization software did you use?

There is only a small selection of non-server motherboards that actually support IOMMU - some claim they do but they really don't.

not having to use windows for anything but the necessary
after how much I've riced my install, not just with looks but function, I can't use windows anymore, I find it way too inneficient
plus running it in a VM allows monitoring the traffic for telemetry and data collection, and windows runs MUCH better in a VM than it does on bare metal for obvious reasons
plus the second gpu only boots up(spins) when the VM is running so you don't have to worry too much about power consumption, you can also integrate a ton of features easily like virtualbox seamless mode and shared folders to make it extra easy to use both OS's at once with professional or office.programs for example
this guy doesn't know shit lol, you only lose 10 max frames, and that's only if your cpu is sub-par or you're running other vms too, since Linux barely wastes any ressources(if you're doing it right that is)

Attached: 1527690822690-g.jpg (474x530, 44K)

> mfw poorfag who doesn't have multiple rigs
> falling for the vm meme
> GPU sharing
I don't fall for any Jow Forums memes because I'm not a brainlet and am informed enough to make my own decisions

QEMU/libvirt. Most of the problem was getting vfio-pci to load before radeon, and it just wouldn't fucking do it no matter what I tried. After hours of fumbling I've accidentally found out that you can require that kernel module depends on another module being already loaded, so if you set radeon to depend on vfio-pci then it loads properly. As for VM itself, first I couldn't get it to boot and it would drop into BIOS console, and then I couldn't get SCSI storage driver to work, it needed doing shit in very specific order. None of that crap was discussed in any of the manuals or walkthroughs so it took a bit of trial and error.

As far as I know gpu passthrough should be pretty straightforward provided all your hardware is compatible. If not it may be a pain in the ass applying hacks and patches and shit.

I'm paranoid but for me it's mostly the fact that it allows windows to run isolated and offline and still be convenient. Offline for the botnet and isolatef for worry free pirating.

>you can also integrate a ton of features easily like virtualbox seamless mode

How does that work alongside passthrough? Does Windows see it as a 2nd graphics card?

I'm a ML major so I got a big desktop with all the latest shit, 32gb ram, awesome multi threaded cpu, the werks. Our laptops ran WoW at 20fps because they're old as fuck, so the best option would be to run two at once on the desktop to get at minimum 70fps.

Yeah, when I found this out I fucked back to aster on windows because it was faster

Why would you use Linux to play modern games?

Yes, windows sees it as a regular graphics card like it wasn't running in a VM and can run it with no performance penalty.

All in all it seems like the OP's problem is that he's somehow messed it up or is trying to use it on incompatible hardware so it's not even using the GPU like it should.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

Doesn't the chipset and CPU just have to support it? Or am i missing something?

Yes, CPUs that support it normally do it properly but most motherboards just have no support whatsoever, and a lot of those that claim that do, have piss poor support that you can't do crap with, it might as well not be there. As a rule of thumb, if your mobo is cheap then it doesn't support IOMMU.

Mine - Z97 - seems to work fine, but i've never seen any marketing for it, nor it even mentioned

checkout Jow Forumsvfio faggot.
gpu passthrough is 99% native perf but you need to have IOMMU support on your mobo and your CPU needs vf-d support

best mobo with iommu support that supports the best multithreaded cpus? best multithread cpu with vf-d support?

Since Windows is in a vm, can you pass through your linux /home/ folder and such and have access to all your files natively in Windows?

I'm thinking about a setup like this myself, seems way better than dual booting

No idea.
I do like that the newer Ryzen mobos have encrypted UDMA IOMMU though.
Intels are a bitch because intel doesn't want its consumer CPUs/Mobos being used for virtualization so they remove it.

AMD's are slower but even the consumerist CPUs have virtualization support.

Jow Forumsvfio has much more info than I could give.

Your fault for buying a "gaming" CPU yet alone two of them

read up a bit on gpu pass through, it really is the gaymer/professional gentooman's solution
in short, it makes it so the CPU is shared with the VM and host while the GPU is dedicated for each, making it possible to do video intensive shit in a VM

having a super pc running with gpu passthrough to windows vms for production testing... wet dreams

does ryzen support intel cpus? got corsair ram and 1080ti

>2016+2
>Not running Windows 10
>Not running your riced arch setup on it's own virtual desktop through WSL
Plebs

I've got something of the sort, dual 24c ES xeons bought off eBay for 1k, mobo as well as ram bought used off amazon
the unparalleled feeling of both CPUs working knowing that I could have very easily gotten chinkd made my month, gpu passthrough was a breeze to set up in arch(I run arch btw), even if I was using two identical gpus for host and vm (gtx 1080's) under win7
since I've got two CPUs I was able to allocate one cpu to the VM, as well as 16 out of the 64 gigs of ram I got
I was extremely lucky for both the mobo and the ram, I got the mobo for 214$ and the 64 stick for 350, which is pretty amazing considering they both have lifetime warranty
the only complaint is that they are both server hardware so they have that ugly blue/green no backplates look that doesn't fit with the graphic cards or case
pic related is as I was testing the first CPU with an old card and an AM3 cooler just sitting on top

Attached: IMG-20180612-WA0005.jpg (899x1599, 242K)

two cpus? holy shit
ive got a i7 6850k, will it work?

depends on whether your mobo properly supports vt-x and vt-d, you should check that and more online ressources if you're interested
you really don't need two CPUs for it at all, it was just my overkill dream build, you'll be more than fine with a 6850k

had i known about this mobo i might have gotten it

thank you user i will remember this next time i build a 3000 dollar computer