All-in-one PCs

Why did this idea die out?
The concept of having a full desktop be almost as portable as a laptop is pretty great, especially back in the day when LAN parties were a thing.
Anyone on Jow Forums using one?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1000x723, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

artlebedev.com/ivoska/process/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump
im actually thinking of buying one of those cheap HP ones on ebay, would make a nice arch machine

iMac rekt them all and they just looked like cheap knock offs at that point.

They had the computing power and unexpandability of a laptop while sucking down as much power and taking up only slightly less desk space than a traditional desktop.

Did it though?
They were always too big and heavy, killing the whole point of it.
AIOs should be 19"-23", not those fucking 27" monsters that somehow still have laptop hardware inside.

>AIOs should be 19"-23", not those fucking 27" monsters that somehow still have laptop hardware inside.
I think a lot of manufacturers didn't understand that. They thought people would be buying AIO's to fill the spot in the entertainment center where the 1996 tube-type TV was supposed to go and so they loaded them up with a bigger screen and a bunch of media features. When in reality most people probably just wanted them to use in their office or bedroom.

I'm thinking of a bed stand with a VESA mount, getting a cheap AIO and making the ultimate comfyposting machine.

Shitty laptop specs throw in a shitty monitor and full desktop price. Why did it die out?

It didn't die out, they're still being made and sold. They've always been a niche and they still are. Just like NUCs.

AIOs didn't die out they're seemingly more popular than traditional desktops with normals i.e moms.

AIOs will never have an enthusiast market outside maybe Macfags because they're made of laptop-tier components. It's the "gaming headset" conundrum where you make everything shitty & cheap to fit it all in one purchase.

There are no expensive PC AIOs because their market is pretty much 99% normals. And the only reason normals will ever buy a PC is because they don't have enough money for a Mac, the ultimate Facebook machine.

I'm surprised there's no good cheap "AIO" cases though for hobbyists. It'd be pretty cool to have some boxy case with a 4:3 screen pre-installed that sort of knocks off the Macintosh 128k.

Attached: 300px-Macintosh_SE_b.jpg (300x311, 11K)

They're very cheap actually
I had one because it was all I could afford as a teenager.
It had a full desktop P4 too, used it until 2009 when I foolishly sold it to fund PC parts.

This is the answer. I'm stuck with an old all in one right now, and shit sucks senpai. Literally can't upgrade anything but memory which is pointless when I can't upgrade the processor and the integrated gpu might as well be an actual potato.

post your specs
I was stuck with an EeePC as a main computer for over a year, it can't be that bad.

>Why did this idea die out?
Did it?
There are bunch of those on the market.
Also there are things called mini pc which screw between monitor and monitor stand having vesa mounts on both sides

Attached: 1529698520836.jpg (750x946, 103K)

yeah but those are stuck with very low TDP chips and are usually fanless.
A proper all in one seems like a better solution to me

Attached: 61pIubgyIJL._SL1240_.jpg (1240x874, 124K)

It doesn't even look hard to DIY

Attached: 329848.jpg (600x575, 146K)

Alive and kicking.

Attached: surface_pro.jpg (600x420, 18K)

Ordered an Ataribox, it'll be a good mini PC.

It's my idea or the tech overlords of Jow Forums believe that iMacs have laptop CPUs inside?

>The concept of having a full desktop be almost as portable as a laptop is pretty great
That's not the idea behind all-in-one PCs.

>Why did this idea die out
replaced by mini pcs and the like.

need to show that logo you know its very important for the future of earth

artlebedev.com/ivoska/process/
FOSS
O
S
S

Attached: ayvoska-process-06.gif (900x872, 34K)

I think that aperture is more to let pass the stand of the imac, user.

>that fucking pose
:;:);;):);:);):);:);:)

Attached: 2018-06-23_23h27_26.jpg (946x757, 142K)

>love me to carry 7kgs of bullshit everyday to wherever with me

Attached: 1424909191795.png (591x687, 601K)

They do

This is basically what happened.
Apple as a "premium brand" in very loose terms, means that people is willing to invest into the cost of monitor + PC as one piece.
Outside of that, a lot of PC sales is 200-300€ cabinets and 150-250€ monitors. Where a reasonable monitor will be 300-400€, and on the PC side of things are a bit more awkward due Windows being a piece of shit in terms of performance.

Basically, you end up with:
1. Cheap laptop parts and a screen, basically kills itself off
2. Good expensive screen, but crap components. Might be really expensive for the screen
3. iMac or similar ideas, where the form factor isn't crippled.

> because they're made of laptop-tier components
Also this.

Its completely fine to DUY until you remember you want a reasonable GPU in it.
And then it becomes a slight problem, even if you go AMD setup for the APU.