PC

Let’s say someone offered you a PC with an AMD Athlon X2 5200+, 3gb of DDR2 RAM, a 500gb HDD, a working motherboard, with Windows 7 ultimate and Office installed, for $30, would you take it, Jow Forums?

Attached: $_84.jpg (498x374, 37K)

Pic related, by the way

No, I've bought better computers than that for less at the thrift store.

Attached: dze5MtP.jpg (748x630, 30K)

For 30€ I could get a old office machine like a i5 or i7 ThinkCentre.
I have several I bought for that amount. (They make good Hackintoshes also.)

Sorry user, we throw out newer gear than that.

do you need it?
does $30 mean not much to you?
if yourr answer is yes for both questions then go for it

I already bought it. but mine was 50 bucks and only the case without gpu and hdd.

Attached: 2018-06-23_20h43_06.jpg (674x532, 71K)

I used a core2duo from 2008-2017 overclocked to 4.5ghz.

I'd offer him 15 and if he accepts 20 then sold

I already own one, athlon 240, geforce 6150se, 3GB DDR2@200 Mhz, 500GB seagate.

I bought it when I was young and stupid, it was $500 plus tax, real piece of trash.

>30 dollars to deliver it to the dumpster
if I wasn't too busy, sure

It might make a passable low end home server as an alternative to a RPi with more SATA ports, but other than that it's useless.

if it comes with a GPU sure, those are great for Win XP and '00s gayms. God knows current hardware/Windows 10 won't run it.

For $30 I'd Ressale the ram for $60.

Maybe for 3$
In fact i do have myself an X2 4200+ 4gb 320gb rig, i know how worthless it is

I've given away Core 2 Quads and Athlon II X4 640 systems running 4GB DDR2

Anything that doesn't take at least DDR3 isn't really worth keeping anymore.

Even 775 has DDR3 16GB support on plenty of motherboards. It's actually cheaper to go with X58 rather than 775 these days because the chinese are making brand spanking new X58 motherboards today and often bundle them with 6 core xeons.

Saw a deal the other day for a prebuilt down at the local small time shop for $160 USD.
Some 6c/12t xeon, brand new x58 huanan motherboard 8gb DDR3, 320G HDD, random 1gb old GPU, 500W 80+ PSU and some bling bling case.
Granted they probably bought the CPU/mobo combo off aliexpress and then sourced some random parts to complete the build but hey, it seems decently competitive with the $150 ish Dell Optiplexes without the proprietary PSU or form factor bullshit.

Sure, could be good for an emergency backup if my main rig shirts the bed

>>Even 775 has DDR3 16GB support on plenty of motherboards.
the problem is that it has restrictions on what kind of 4GB DDR2 DIMMs it'll talk to. It's easy to get 4x4GB DDR2 kits for AMD systems, they're cheap. 4x4GB that'll work in a P45 board costs like $150.

What country are you from? Did you buy them off ebay?

Um... I said DDR3
With DDR2 you're limited to 2*2gb or 4*2gb

This gigabyte board was awesome back in the day and was pretty cheap too.

Attached: 3120.jpg (500x370, 65K)

Nigga u wot?

Attached: 1526954437853.jpg (620x620, 234K)

Why would I pay a single cent for an obsolete desktop computer?

Sure? Why not. Might be useful someday.

redbull me on buying shit old computers.

For $30? Why the fuck not. Heck, I'd probably even consider it for double that price.

Though Win7 is still a little too botnet-ish for my taste.

They use a shit ton of electricity I don't get why anyone would want one

>mentions price in €
>What country are you from?
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that poster is from Europe

I would just buy some new earbuds if I had that kind of money to throw around
or another thinkpad

>Yurop is a country

Attached: 58c.png (1052x1137, 287K)

sure. install void linux on it or try to run hackintosh or something, might be fun

You could make a nice XP era gaming PC with it. I don't really no much about that period and what from then doesn't work though.

i had this exact pc i got from a friend for free.

it wasn't great.

for 30, hell fucking no.

No, old as fuck. Ive seen i5-2400 bundles gifted. DDR3 and 1st gen Core i parts are usual for gifting. Yours looks like it was taken from scrap, so I would not pay for it. If you get it for free, why not.

I still have my old Phenom 9600 / 4 GB / Vista build here, I don't use it anymore, but its good to have it around. I'm thinking of installing XP as a dualboot for compability.

Not necessary. They are slow as fuck. 4 GB is plenty, I used my Phenom for browsing. But then I bought a Pentium G bundle for 15 € which outperformed it at a lower power draw and no noise.

It feels much better now, I sit on a Ryzen 1700 now. I would only use such hardware if I couldn't afford better, as a bed computer. I used it for browsing and videos. But the high power draw makes you think, nowadays a cheap 2200G system is worthier unless you got the hardware for free.

Fund the stupid amerilard.

I know plenty of people IRL still gaming with Core 2 Quads with 8gb ram, Overwatch, GTAV, and even fortnite and shudders, PubG.
With modern GPUs you don't even need to use the CPU to watch 4K videos.
775 platform just refuses to die and people shy away from building new DDR4 systems because of ram prices.

At least with DDR3 you can grab 8gb 1600mhz ram for less than 50 bux if you know where to look, and i5 second hand systems for like $150.
More and more people are just buying second hand i5 or xeon systems and just slapping a 1050/1050ti/1060 in them maybe upping the ram from 8gb to 16gb and happily playing their games, some even forgo the SSD in favor of a larger cheap 2TB harddrive to house their games.

While the 2200G is decent, it's $100 bux for 2x4gb DDR4 3000 and $160 for DDR4 2x8gb DDR4 2666, quite a lot of people scoff at the idea of spending more money on ram than the CPU or motherboard. Some of them are also on the OMG why buy expensive DDR4 now when DDR5 is being touted for 2019/2020.

the phenom 9600 quad core 2.3 was my first gaming PC. I had a 9800GT in it and 8gb of ram. I thought I was an absolute badass. Thanks for bringing back memories man. My dad ended up smashing it all over the living room floor because he found out I still had utorrent installed with a password prompt on it. He was pissed because he kept getting cease and desist orders from comcast and he thought there was an actual threat to his freedom there lol. I'm still bitter about it.

Trust me it's not worth 30$

It's fast enough to be usable for shitty stuff like NAS etc. But the power consumption would definitely be an issue, so no.

Attached: 1529713514162.png (1640x800, 560K)

no
>additional information: already have full function AMD Athlon X2, 3Gb DDR2, 2 or 3 old HDDS installed, Win XP
30$ hey? You think I could get that for it? been sitting there for years gathering dust

You could probably sell it for $50 if you find the right guy. People are stupid, you know?

Nah they'd have to give me more than $30

I run that CPU on my desktop, still working good after 10 years running Ubuntu. Now 6gb ram, 2tb HDD.

Good for shitposting.

There are two countries in Europe: (((EUSSR))) and (((Russia))).

this is not true

Nope... maybe if I had nothing but even then my phone is more powerful

Northern Europe. The prices are pretty much the same all around here (when talking about used technology), no need for specific country.
No I got them off a local sales site, kind of like eBay. Old companies selling their old shit in bulk and for cheap (but you can still pick up one or two if you don't want more).

I'm litterally posting this from the Intel equivalent. With a cheap SSD and Loonix everything is fast, even 24mp image editing is fast. I dont game. For video conversion I queue up the tasks and leave it to work overnight.

>even 24mp image editing is fast
At 10 DPI?

I don't use more than about 6 layers but the write to SSD so fast it feels like 1 layer. If it is just filters or stacks of filters then its in the RAM so very fast.

For 30$ you can get a ThinkPad laptop with slightly better specs. X61 or an x200 or something off of eBay.

This meme again

American education.