NEMA working on compact 240V plugs for American market

Due to increased demand for portable high-power appliances (e.g. Instant Pot, portable induction cooktop, etc.) and an emerging demand for portable electric car chargers, NEMA, the North American electrical plug standardization body, is studying smaller plugs for 240V.

The design process in early stages, but the aim is to have something smaller but more durable than German "Schuko" 230V plugs. The standard adoption goal is not to replace 120V sockets, but to have a few of these new, smaller 240V in the kitchens and garages of newly built homes.

How do you feel about this?

Attached: adapters-graphic-all.jpg (2000x900, 481K)

Other urls found in this thread:

screwfix.com/p/british-general-22-module-16-way-populated-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/7300g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wish they'd replace the garbage sockets we use in the US in general. There are so many better designed plugs in use in the world.

UK socket best socket

Fantastic. The more 240v outlets in homes the better. I don't want to use adapters for my euro shit.

230V devices may or may not be able to use 240V.

I want a swiss style plug but miniturized.

You can plug it in either way and maintain a middle ground.
Make it smaller than the grounded American (4 plugs in a 2 plug spot) and it will kick off.

Idk how brit tards handle that fucking mace.
>inb4 muh fuses
How about upgrade your infrastructure to using breakers instead of the fuse filament jew

Just use the Nordic standard

5-20 is the best option as it is able to measure the power level.

>230V devices may or may not be able to use 240V.
Mostly can. You'd be a fooll to design something with no tolerance for a 10% overvoltage.
The nominal mains voltage here is 220-230 but, because of an alumina smelter on the doorstep, a neighboring city runs 250 +/-10%. Our office equipment needs the transformer taps adjusted to work there.

Underrated post.

>implying people will install this shit in their homes or businesses
Gay.

>The standard adoption goal is not to replace 120V sockets
What a fucking waste.

what can't?
even car adapters are 8-22 volts

>finaly the only country that manage to put on fire power strips decide to do something about it
>but they decide to design a bunch of retarded sockets instead of adopting one that work well like the 16A
geez, why do you guy need to always be different

Just in case I need to put a washing machine or oven in my bedroom.

are USA vacuum cleaners and kettles weak?

Can't make business selling new plugs if you can import them for cheap. Of course, once the chinks start making them, importing plugs will become illegal because of (((regulations)))
No, they just pull twice the amps from the socket.

Attached: 1528941675136.png (559x527, 43K)

>another new standard
Just fucking use Schuko for 240V

Also, out of interest, how would this be delivered to homes?
I'm assuming electric lines to American houses come in at 120V, and then have a transformer on site to up it to 240V?

>more durable than German "Schuko"
with that junk in the pic? lolno.

>Just fucking use Schuko for 240V

But then they wouldn't be able to patent parts of it and license out the design.

Most American houses already have a 240V socket for high power appliances. The best part is how they deliver it. I shit you not, they run a second 120V live but 180° out of phase.

>not wanting to use bs1363 to defend yourself from niggers and spics

nobody wants your shitty bong plug, bong.

A bong plug without the annoying 90 degree angle would be objectively perfect.

are you a vegan?

do you suck dick?

i see you have a problem with yes/no questions.

yes. so that means you are a vegan

that's the best thing about it though.

you can't put furniture against the shitty US plugs without snapping something

75 years too late is how i feel about it.

And don't go half way, that's how america is officially utilizing the metric system in all applications today. That is, all imperial measures was respecified to a certain amount of metric/SI units. You don't need more plugs, you need new.

>But, that will generate much hassle!
No, almost all products are made to function on both 120 and 230 volts, so it can be sold in the whole god damn world instead of manufatoring a product limited to certain markets.

Also, damn those are some ugly plugs...

As someone who does a lot of construction/taping/boarding, this will be a lot nicer to route holes for and tape around.

Hopefully it doesn't mean I have to rewire my AC sockets again next time I have to buy a window unit. We use 220V for ACs and 110V for standard things.

Attached: 000000000000282378-gallery-01[1].jpg (450x450, 12K)

Attached: 8c70.png (480x360, 87K)

>using a window ac that requires 220

Attached: sloberin_joe.png (645x729, 90K)

>america
>imperial

It's not better just because your ancient installation doesn't have a central fusebox.

>reading

Basically everything made in the last decade or so can run on 100-240v.

Why don't we repatriate this instead?

Attached: australia-outlet.jpg (500x241, 17K)

>all imperial measures was respecified to a certain amount of metric/SI units.
That's why it's USC, not imperial units.

because fucking huge and retarded

schuko, uk plug, australia plugs were all designed when plastic molding tech was shit and you needed to make things fucking huge to guarantee durability. now, you can make plugs smaller and still be more than sufficiently durable for power plug application.

we have these - screwfix.com/p/british-general-22-module-16-way-populated-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/7300g

Window units are much easier to maintain, and the condoplex I live is old and designed with Window AC cutouts.

I got the older NA R410A refrigerant model but it's still pretty good, DC inverter is alot more power efficient than the old Teco I had which took 30A to start.

110V AC units use a fucking ton of power.

Attached: hitachi.jpg (600x600, 49K)

The reason often cited for the alleged superiority of UK plugs is the fact that the plugs have fuses integrated.

>be american
>take hours to boil water

HAHAHAAHHAAHAHA

Americans Voltlets BTFO

The Brazilian plug is the best. It's like the Swiss one, but compatible with Europlug.

Attached: wFifa.jpg (800x398, 27K)

Is plug size even particularly important? As long as you don't have massive fucking bricks hanging off the socket (pissed me off to no end), the difference between something that requires a 3cm circumference and something that requires 5cm circumference is pretty inconsequential.
I think you're just jealous of our spooky ghost face.

Doubt

>because fucking huge and retarded
Yes, but it's also an established standard. Whatever new plug NEMA is designing better be fucking good for the hassle we'll all be going through.

pins look feeble

It's because they're sturdy as fuck and built with a ton of safety features.

Just go with Schuko and be done with it

Most Americans don't use electric kettles. When we want to boil water, we use a gas or 240V stove.

Some stuff is only made to run on 110-240v since 100v is only used in Japan, but I get surprised if I find something made since the turn of the millennium that doesn't say that it runs on at least that span of voltages. I have an electric toothbrush charger from Braun that only says 220-240v, but that's it.

Yeah sure we'll get right on replacing 200 billion dollars worth of electrical infrastructure that works just fine overnight with shit that's a mere twice the voltage simply due to autism.

Almost every American home has 240V via two 120V legs out of a center tapped transformer on the pole.

Nothing wrong with that setup. You get 120 for when you don't need high power, and 240 for when you do. The only issue is that 240 sockets have traditionally been reserved to oven, dryer, water pump, and garage use, and the sockets are completely retarded. This new standard, supported by new NEC rules and appliances that actually use it, would solve boot problems.

>How do you feel about this?
It's about fucking time.
Go step on one.

They don't have any safety features that aren't featured on every single other plug standard besides the US and Australian one. They're also not really sturdier than day Schuko.
Schuko is unnecessarily clunky due to reasons mentioned in

Most anything the nips make is 100-240V 50/60 Hz.

We already have a small 220 v plug. My compressor uses one of these.

Attached: _20_amp_220_volt_657574393.jpg (300x300, 4K)

Most stuff made by any company today runs on that full span.

>240V stove

Are americans too retarded to trust them with 240V everywhere?

They're not. They are thicker than american plug pins.
I have both types of cables next to me, and the AUZ/NZ pins are about 0.5mm thicker.

that's the point.

>that's the point.

Attached: carlos.jpg (500x367, 19K)

240 wasn't necessary when we were building our electric grid while yuros were still using fire.

>Nothing wrong with that setup.
No, absolutely nothing. Two live wires? A problem? Why would that be a problem? I mean, it's not like literally doubling the risk of electrocution or a live ground is a problem. Especially in America, where most "ground" connections rely on a cable tied to a water or a gas line. And where they haven't even heard of an RCD.
Darwin doing his job right here.

Based winky boi

All of them are shit as all of them expose live conductor while partially plugged in. Easily fixable, refer to exhibit.

Exhibit a.

Attached: Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg (1024x576, 100K)

>be american
>be afraid of police
>be afraid of plugs

No one will die for that

Is the difference in "clunkiness" really significant enough to design your own shit instead of using tried and true schuko?

consider crocodile clips.

>the aim is to have something smaller but more durable than German "Schuko" 230V plugs.
That's as far as they'll get, aiming to come close to Europe.

Didn't you just say how you're still using gas stoves lmao

They should just use the Brazilian connector which is really just a Europlug with a grounding pin.

My 110V cawfee maker starts dripping within seconds.

It doesn't take much time at all to heat water.

its AC so you don't even fuckin need a single phase of 240, just splitphase 120 x2 et voila fags.

we have 4kW double wide microwaves if we want to use pussy electrics to heat water fast. We use fire to heat it with violence.

>being proud of having an inefficient electric stove

Attached: nagatoro.png (1600x871, 351K)

Are those Tesla logos on those plugs?

>We use fire to heat it with violence
You can't insinuate that Europe was a backwards place and then describe how you're still doing it like the cavemen
See above

Most Americans use electric unless they live in an area with centralized natural gas. I don't know anyone with a gas stove.

holy fuck you are spreading misinformation hard. most homes have a ground rod or loop around the house outside, which then gets tied to the service neutral and that neutral is attatched to the TX ground which gets meggered at the pole. also having two legs out of phase from each other is not big problem, once they hit the panel box which has BREAKERS it goes on to normal 2 wire plus ground setup

You pretty much need a good gas range top to get a good fire for making good fried rice with a large wok.

Rinnai even makes good mini ones for people who don't have space.

They even put safety features like turning off if it detects a dry burn for retards that leave t
heir stove unattended.

Attached: rts-336-2fts-sl.jpg (900x900, 89K)

>breakers are now RCDs and prevent ground leaks
'murikan safety everyone.

Gas stoves are objectively better. Go to any fine dining restaurant and they will be using gas.

I don't know anyone who has ever shocked themselves on an American plug. Actually I've never even heard of it happening, and the only time it's brought up is when a euro goat fucker claims it happens all the time with no evidence.

Gas stoves are clearly superior. Anyone who has ever used both gas and electric knows this.
user was clearly referring to lighting, not cooking.

You're talking to two different people. Also was directed at (You). Gas is way more efficient and it makes more sense to use it where needed instead of "expensive" resistive heating.

>strongest plug
>strongest socket
>switch at socket
>technically superior to every other standard on earth

Just use ours you dumbfuck burgers.

Attached: plug-691x460[1].jpg (691x460, 34K)

>can be used as a manriki
>can be used as makibishi

>technically superior
bongs delusional as always

>needs a fucking fuse inside
>fuckhuge
No thanks.

Are you scared of fuses?

i have a 5-20 in my apartment and i'm sure it's completely pointless. it's wired to the same type of breaker as the rest of the place.

Why the fuck do I need a fuse inside a plug? That's why I have a breaker. Lmao, afraid of having smaller plugs?

Link?

They can. If they couldn't, shit would get fucked up quickly cuz UK is running 240V, and they aren't gonna make special snowflake devices that work in all of Europe but not UK. UK specification allows for voltages as high as 253V. (+10% of 230V)
Most full range active PFC devices, which includes computer power supplies are good for something like 80V to 260V.
I'm not in the UK, but elsewhere in Europe and at my home I occasionally get ~235V from the wall.

being as the NEC standard now requires GFCI breakers in most rooms of the home, yes it will prevent ground leaks

>Using expletives and LMAO
Your acting tough cannot hide your fear of fuses.

>afraid of having smaller plugs?
No. I have to use nema 1-15, 5-15 and Schuko/europlugs depending on where I am in the world.

We sure will need 240v for the next intel cooler
Looks like a chinked plug

Where do you think we are?