Why is Linux having such a hard time gaining support and popularity in the desktop realm?

Why is Linux having such a hard time gaining support and popularity in the desktop realm?

Attached: 220px-Tux.png (220x261, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apnews.com/41817339703440a49d8916c0f67d28a6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's shit.

/thread

It cant play games

Chromebooks have replaced Macs in US classrooms everywhere. Perhaps you mean GNU/Linux?

Each distro is a different set of terrible compromises
Each desktop environment is a set of terrible trade offs
Even Xorg vs Wayland is a bad trade off
Can’t run Android apps, even though it should

Too confusing for normies to just pick up.

No MS Office suite, no games, no support for industry standard software in most fields, etc.

Also, the lack of any kind of standardization isn't helping. While there are many versions of Windows, they pretty much backward compatible. The same can't be said for Linux where there are different PMs, WMs and so on across multiple distros.

To be objective, Linux cannot achieve the mass appeal that MS has achieved. The best thing that they can hope to achieve is to carve a niche for programmers and more specific CS oriented roles. Which is already in progress but needs more work in regards to standards.

As if.

Linux isn't completely terrible.
Almost everything on the userland-side IS though.
Still no decent window system.
Audio is a complete mess thanks to poettering and others.
Now he even fucks up Init and other systems.
Gnome/GTK is shit. KDE/Qt is shit.
All GNU tools are kind of terrible versions of what they are supposed to be.

If Linux had just copied every userland design decision from Plan9 it would be good.
But Linus, the only guy who could steer shit in a good direction, doesn't care at all, and just lets everyone do whatever.
This is why Linux won't win. This is why there will never be the year of the linux desktop.
Even when MS fucks up everything that is upfuckable.

>no ms suite
ms suite is horrible lmao
>no games
how old are you 12?
>industry standard software
name one faggot
enjoy your bloatnet piece of shit called "windows"
also
>reddit spacing

Attached: back-to-reddit.jpg (500x614, 123K)

he's right though you 15 year old arch ricer
what is: Adobe products, media creation tools (FL Studio), etc?
>reddit spacing
he doesn't have 2 spaces anywhere, he just entered a blank line
how far are you willing to go with your bait?

Attached: 1529329922606.png (3400x3104, 1.11M)

Give it 5 more years. Linux is always getting more and more shit. Look at gaming on Linux/software 5 years and look at it now. There have been very big changes in the past 5 years and it'll keep growing.

>adobe products
all have better free alternatives
>fl studio
your joking r-right?
>not knowing what reddit spacing is
how new are you?

No one is saying Windows is better than Linux, just that for the reasons posted above, Linux will never reach the mass appeal that Windows has.

Only autists have the patience to look up every little problem that comes with using it

>He thinks reddit spacing is the same as using paragraphs correctly.

Oh nonononNONONONO

I unironically used reddit in 2009 so I know far more than you

Kinda weird huh?
apnews.com/41817339703440a49d8916c0f67d28a6

Not him, but you reek of reddit.
Shitty opinions. Reddit spacing (Yes, thats what you did. If its always '\n\n', and never '\n', it IS reddit spacing). And dumb memespouting.
Just go back.

I have been using Linux for 10 or so years.
It hasn't become better. At all.
Even back then people used to say: "Just give it some time. 5 more years!".
I was one of them. Now I know I was wrong.
There is nothing that can make Linux good. At least not with the Bazaar system that has been going on.
For Linux to become good, the whole Userland has to become a cathedral too, not just the Kernel.
But please keep the retards at redhead, gnome and KDE away from it.

Not even him mate. Didnt your mum call you for dinner already?

Linux is a kernel.

Because proprietary operating systems have seeded themselves in the user world for awhile. They've been around longer than Linux. On the user side, there's usually one "Windows" or one "Mac OS"; you know where to buy the machine, you know what it looks like. There's little choice to consider or overwhelm. The problem with desktop Linux adoption is its most valuable strength. It doesn't have one monolithic face to be marketed or recognized. It doesn't have a centralized company to represent it. We can't have it both ways without Linux being diluted and raped by corporate and capitalistic interest.

>install linux
>it just works

i feel bad for graphics designers and other professionals who are effectively locked in to mac os or windows

This, even Gentoo, when configured correctly it just fucking works.

the main reason is becuase windoze is preinstalled on 99% of modern pc's and normalfags like you don't know enough about computers to swtch an OS lmao

Attached: ba-dum-tiss.jpg (600x538, 54K)

just go back you don't fit in here lad

Bull fucking shit.

>No MS Office suite
this is the only reason

>t. retarded boomer

>when configured correctly it just fucking works
>it just fucking works
>when configured correctly

We don't want normies

>muh sikrit kluv

Not him, but contrast this to windows, where you can configure absolutely every option exposed to the user but still don't have a well-running system.

It's the opposite for Linux in 2018. It gives a couple orders of magnitude more configuration options than windows, but you hardly need to touch anything to get a really smooth system

Please explain to me why linux isn't popular on desktop then

I have no idea what anyone ever means when they say "there's incompatibilities between different DE/WM/Distros" they literally all run the same software and have the same user-level code
A program written in Ubuntu MATE will work on Fedora, will work on Gentoo with i3, etc.
Who cares

also
>installation
>d/l a Solus iso
>installer is easy to use
>finishes in 15 minutes
>everything Jus Werks ootb
>even comes with tailored defaults to my X61

He's not wrong. Take a look at the ubuntu support forums. You will immediately understand why long-time linux users cringe at the idea of pandering to newbies.

It's not a matter of people being new and asking lots of questions, but rather about this specific crop of "normie" users from the windows ecosystem that feel very, very entitled to getting help from developers whose time would be better spent on actual development.

Windows makes it possible for half trained retards to be helpdesk and sysadmins for the full retards. Linux is more capable and powerful in most ways, but that's a killer. It allows businesses to save tens of thousands on payroll every year, since Linux talent is rare and thus expensive. They'll pay thousands for software if it means they don't have to hire a Linux wizard to manage it. This isn't based on market share but the basic competency required to administer Linux systems at scale.

Really, I suspect Linux won't ever take off. It's got a lot of ancient Unix assumptions wired in to the basic design that get in the way. Android and ChromeOS are switching to Fuschia, and a new generation of hobby OSes like Genode and RedoxOS offer more modern architecture.

Schools train students with Windows
Adobe, Autodesk and many other professional software are not natively supported
People believe they NEED specific software in a different way than they do with other stuff. (e.g. MS office, despite not even touching advanced options)
No pre-installed systems in stores
PC stores make money from anti-virus licenses and fixing shit that happens with Windows
Too damn many options for an OS, when you say "try linux", they expect one thing, not hundreds
Elitist fanbase

Honestly, Linux need more support from vendors. I myself have Ubuntu (yeah make fun) and I'm having such a hard time with the Intel and Nvidia combo on my laptop. It works so far until something decides not to.

Stilll? Damn that is never getting fixed. No wonder Linus Torvalds put up the middlefinger

Yup, fucking Nvidia prime bullshit. Everything else works great.

already did that here

>immediately spouts what I assume is a reddit meme
Good job there buddy

Attached: autism.jpg (501x591, 37K)

>>d/l a Solus iso

Attached: myman.jpg (600x537, 33K)

>industry standard
you mean 'vendor lock-in'?

You need to be into configuring stuff. Even in something basic like Firefox you have to toggle urlbar.clickSelectsAll and/or context_menus.after_mouseup to get the same experience that Windows has by default.

Then there's the file picker.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1529582536994.jpg (580x346, 47K)

Fragmentation.

I used to ask this myself, but now I realize that I don't want normal people using Linux. I know that that will be the quickest path to ruin, and to be honest, I don't want it to change that much.

You mean professional software companies that make software for profit and don't just want to give their hard work away for free for other people to make money off because it doesn't fit with some hippie philosophy from the 60s where computers were the domain of academics?

drivers, lack of professional software, really garbage DEs. i3 is good, though.

the theming community is more autistic than the rainmeter community.

web browsing is a goddamn nightmare.

bluetooth and audio still broken as fuck.

game support varies vastly from distro to distro.

peoples workarounds usually involve running windows in a VM. why bother on linux then?

bro legit i gave my mom solus on her old craptop and installed chrome on it.

never had a single issue. never got asked a single question.

technically she's used to gentoo though because she had a chromebook.

yes because lightbox and blender are very good alternatives to after effects, the best fucking software on the market.

people still use ms office? even i just use google docs these days. and google docs is ironically less confusing than ms office, and the american highschool system drills that into our heads every fucking year.

MS Office is the reason most people use computers.

Most people do their E-Mail in Outlook or O365, write their speaking decks or presentations in PowerPoint, do any kind of data analysis or reporting in Excel and write any supporting documentation in Word.

Outside of the programming world, it's the only value in computers outside of the internet.

lol no they haven't

they are quickly though. chromeboxes replaced the pcs in the DMV here and theyre very suitable for school testing.

>US classrooms
So, nowhere important or for sane people. Got it.

Because it offers no benefit to normalfags. They don't care about their privacy and the ability to tinker with an OS however you want.
Additionally most people don't know alternatives to the software, they're using. Do most people on this earth use e.g. Adobe Reader, because it's the best solution for them? Hell no. It's widely known and they don't bother enough to look up anything else.

Do you guys really think your average Joe knows about any specific bugs, problems or shortcomings? If somebody never entertained the notion to switch, they most likely don't even know that there are different distros.
Switching to Linux is not a question people ask themselves eventually. Linux is an alternative, not a default, and like I said, people don't care about alternatives.

Too much freedom. Instead of having one or two strong systems with strong support you have a couple of mediocre ones and several hundred that are all shit.

It is such a waste of time to develop so many different distributions, when most of them only have slightly different desktop arrangement and color scheme, but the same crap underneath. And don't get me started on all the time wasted on all faggotry of "Linux is a kernel, not an OS" or how you should spell MATE - no ones gives a shit.

And for me the deal breaker is the lack of proper support. I install Linux, after of couple of weeks something starts crashing and I'm fucked. I'm an accountant, not a programmer, and after I google the problem all the solutions I get are - you need to recompile the kernel, you need to write a python script to bypass something and so on. And that's when I reinstall the Win 10 back again. Because I just don't have the time to learn a whole programming language to keep my PC running smoothly

You could have just written "just werks", tho I understand your need to vent

Faggots like this are part of the problem

because normal people don't want to deal with terminal, sudo, repositories and other things needed to know to use Linux to the extent it's capable of. To you it may be easy to google, remember commands, type in terminal, but most people just want to click net next next and be done with it.
Plus, no good enough profesional grade software (no, GIMP can't replace Photoshop, Libre can't and never will replace Office, lack of good audio recording and music making software, lack of good video editors, don't get me started on CAD... the list goes on). Yeah, its great if you're a programmer / developer, run a server... but outdise of that... not even old people that use PCs only for browsing / email aren't confident with Linux because they can't call the next door neighbours kid to help them when something fucks up, cuse they WILL fuck up something.

it's a scrapyard and as such it's difficult for a desktop application to target.

in 5 years there will still be inconsistency galore

*sambas your path*

I am reading up on this slap fight, and am curious why anyone would fall for this middle school tier shit flinging by Stallman. Those who refer to Linux as gnu/Linux, I have a few questions

Why is gnu before Linux? Isn't Linux inherently more low level? This seems to intentionally make Linux look like an add on to gnu, or worse a gnu package outright.

What is an acceptable use case for gnu/Linux? For general systems that use the Linux kernel, it seems really dumb to assume that they use gnu userland, c libs, etc. So in that use case it's not appropriate. The next use case is distributions, and I feel like it is the distribution creator to decide that. For instance, Ubuntu isnt even called Linux at all, it's just "Ubuntu". Or is that terrible ethically?

This whole thing seems like a lame popularity contest from the fsf and an ugly one too. Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here, but it just seems that this convention is obviously flawed.

Terry is unironically right. Linux is trying to be an OS for mainframes with hundreds of users. This results in things like file permissions and other complications that will just drive normie users away. It's overly complex for simple desktop use. In some ways Windows has been heading in that direction for the last 15-20 years. When its hegemony was being established, Windows was way simpler than it is today.

rms is patently a sperg; he has no self awareness

there's nothing wrong with unix file permissions, they're simple. do you just mean normalfags are just going to see "no permission to run this executable" and give up? i agree there. smarter tools is probably the answer, users shouldn't have to run into problems like that for shit they install themselves

So true.

>Silly user. You don't need all those things you think you need.
Yeah, that's basically the reason. Linux has to be significantly better than Windows to even have a chance. It's not.
>free alternatives
nice bait

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed. I really don't like using Windows anymore and a couple of weeks ago I've tried 6 or 7 major Linux distributions and they all keep crashing randomly and there doesn't seem to be a reasonable solution for it, so I'm back to Windows again

>install Windows 10
>Spends ten seconds entering in wifi pw
>Double click edge

Wow I'm on the internet

>Install Linux
>Spends 30 minutes setting up conf files and other shit

And that's just the beginning of of your issues (assuming your WiFi card has a decent driver, and most don't from my experience). When they just get the basics down, that will help significantly.

>there's nothing wrong with unix file permissions, they're simple.
You're missing the point. File permissions etc. serve no purpose for the average normie desktop user. They only get in the way. Linux needs a "shut the fuck up, I'm not running a server here" mode for desktop.

I feel you, bro. I hope the future of operating systems isn't as dark as it seems.

Because the devs of it (specifically) don't (want to) think about the user.

I don't know why people get so much problems with WiFi. Mine works out of the box on both Windows and Linux.

Just run your entire system from the root account.

Windows users being able to run whatever random .exe or .bat they download from the internet is one of Windows' biggest problems. Keep that shit away from Linux

Windows emphasizes convenience, Linux emphasizes security. One is popular in desktop use, the other is not.

wut

>Install Ubuntu
>Wifi works out of the box
>Install OpenSUSE
>Wifi drops 100% of packages for no reason

DE's are also a joke
>GNOME
>Extract a zip that contains a folder with 39gb of files, and a readme
>The progress bar insteantly leaps to 90%, stays at "2 Files Remaining"

>KDE
>Stuck in 90's design of everything being customizable to a fault, still has antiquated design like a "What's This?" button that went out of style with Windows XP

The funny thing is how these neckbeards respond whenever you tell them that you depend on professional software events though have no clue about it. For example if you're a music producer, a Linux fag will start googling "Linux daw" and respond "bigwig exists" .. Yea? And how many plug-ins exist for Linux? Fuck there isn't even an alternative for Melodyne or VariAudio.

It's made by autists for autists.

Did your brain fall out? Convenience vs. security is a very common trade-off in software.

On the other hand, considering how normans use Office, Office online is sufficient for 90% of all users

they're important if you don't want other pleb users on the PC to open your folders

if they can't they'll just go elsewhere

thread/

that's because they've never used Linux. And those who have use some shitty outdated Ubuntu ISO.

literally this
nobody cares about linux or windows. It has to work for normies with ease to be popular. 90% of people dont give a shit about privacy or security. It's sad, I know but it is what it is. Humanity is doomed but we have to make the best out of it. If normies want ease and comfort, they will go for it, install spyware and use NSAbook. they dont give a shit.

>pirate windows and office vs pay for office online
sounds like a typical freetard idea, and libreoffice calc is trash

Linux has shit security though.

Lack of PCs that ship with it preinstalled.

Because the Desktop Realm is losing momentum due to mobile devices.

Too much hardware to support. Too much diversity of configurations, which makes it a hell for businesses and their customer service.

>infect the renderer
>whoops, that means we infected at kernel level already
The only thing secure about it is the price.

no good file manager
no file tags
think of mum user jesus

>why anyone would fall for this middle school tier shit flinging
it's a meme
>Why is gnu before Linux?
I think it was written using Gnu tools.

>none of it matters
:^)