Haskell Language

What is Haskell good for? For what reasons should I learn it?

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg (550x416, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/erkmos/haskell-companies
wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry
github.com/Gabriel439/post-rfc/blob/master/sotu.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Haskell is general purpose, you can do whatever you want with it.

I heard it is used a lot in mathematical research, what can you tell me about it? Also, how hard is it?

I think it's to learn how to use functional features in other languages such as C++ and Python

The jobs I've seen in Haskell are usually bio-pharma, fintech or anywhere that culling big data counts.

It's not so much hard as very different & the learnong resources aren't good for novices or passive hobbyists.

If you have the drive, learn it.

I'm a mathematician, I've heard it was used a lot in mathematical research, I just wanted to know more about that, currently looking for languages related to that area.

If you just want straight up math you could learn Agda or Coq instead.

nothing

It's probably a good fit for you desu...
With your background it'll prolly be a snap to throw you mathematical wizadry into ghci & do your thang

Insteresting, didn't know about those.

Thanks.

Based on what I've seen, shitposting in fizzbuzz threads

It's a fun language and I enjoyed learning it. It's not widely used because it's an academic language first and foremost but it's been being adopted in a few places and has been growing quite steadily recently. I've mostly seen Haskell used for large data processing jobs and well as making compilers.

A lot of mathematicians like Haskell because it's like programming with mathematical structures. It allows us to program using the same mindset we use for proving theorems (if that makes any sense, I'm just and undergrad and that's how I see it).

People that work on correctness, model checking, theorem-solvers, and that sort of mixed math-cs fields use it a lot for proof of concept implementations.

However it's not particular great for statistics and numerical stuff, it doesn't have the kind of high performance libraries for that.

Haskell is good for nothing.

>good for
Nothing. It's an academic project which has been blown out of proportion. The only real use I've seen for it is C++ templating, but even that is done better just using C++.

>what reasons
There are no good reasons. Whatever case you could make for Haskell you could make for any other abstract language. It's a fun language to pick up for curiosity or some pet project but it's not worth taking seriously.

>big data
Big data is pretty much the realm of the JVM. Haskell doesn't have a native interface to any of the standard tools and it's inclusion is just a recruiter throwing a wide net across anyone who knows how to program in modern languages.

>i'm a mathematician
You aren't, but if you were. You'd realise that academics dabble in anything they can find interesting to them. There are some academic still working in CL, FORTRAN or other antiquated languages because all of their projects are their own.

I don't do any programming, but i'd suggest you base your language choices on whatever tan is the cutest. C# is by far the strongest choice in this category.

github.com/Gabriel439/post-rfc/blob/master/sotu.md

This person is not saying wrong things.
I'd like to point out explicitly though that one doesn't have to be a mathematician to use Haskell by any means.

I am implementing a distributed wireless network that involves communication between nodes via message passing.

Is Haskell or Erlang better for that?

YOU ARE IMPURE

Ada

it's a toy sweaty

>haskell has a practical purpose, it's not just a toy language
>...
>o-oh.

Attached: logo[1].png (242x79, 10K)

>> Distributed
Erlang. Haskell could do that in theory but Erlang will have tooling that is actually good.

HA HA HA

being edgelord

>Which is better for distributed systems
>A language literally built for that or an unproven meme

People seem to hate Haskell for some reason, is it just the usual Jow Forums baseless hate for everything or is it justified?

Attached: The_Fox_and_the_Grapes.jpg (400x624, 59K)

It's a combination of Haskell users being smug about how great their language is and non-Haskell uses refusing to accept this fact.

accurate

Erlang > Go > Java >>> Haskell
Go was made for internal servers of Google.

The same happens with Python, Rust, etc. Faggots around here just love being contrarians.

>Python

This.

Using Haskell is a good way to ensure no one will try to collaborate with you.

>using haswell in 2009+9
>upgrade to ryzen poorfag

functional programming is only popular because it lets its users pretend they know math

I don't know Erlang, but Haskell is great for networks with weird topologies.

You shouldn't, unless you enjoy unnecessarily complex things

Recursion makes certain types of code 10x shorter to write. Recursion is usually a nightmare to write in imperative languages.

What's wrong with python, contrarian-kun?

>Recursion is usually a nightmare to write in imperative languages.

Not really. Recursion just became obfuscated on classes based languages like C++ and Java.

But before for and while loops people used gotos and labels.