Does anybody still use a TV antenna? If so which one do you use and what kind of area do you live in?

Does anybody still use a TV antenna? If so which one do you use and what kind of area do you live in?
>inb4 people amused that someone might still want to use a TV in 2018

Attached: Rabbit-ears-290x300.jpg (196x202, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
i.imgur.com/G1nZ0hb.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well you big dumb fatass, they converted to digital nowadays so fuck yourself and your fuzzy ass bullshit you fucking broke ass loser

Attached: 1525334805940.png (399x322, 42K)

I mainly stream to my TV, so the antenna is just for local channels and what not. That being said, I am lucky to have the antenna on my house from the 1950's. I can pick up channels in the next state over.

It really depends where you live and your living arrangements. If you live in the city, rabbit ears should work just fine (or those ones that you can stick to the window). If you live out in the country, I would look into getting a roof antenna or something more substantial.

If it's only for TV, the best is probably a yagi as high up as you can get it pointed at civilization.

They have fucking digital free broadcast these days you know. It's called DVB

I use this as I'm in the middle of the city and don't need an outdoor antenna to get a signal. I got it for free, it's a magnetic digital antenna for cars, hooks straight to my TV though which has a built in DVB-T2 tuner.

Attached: digital.jpg (360x360, 14K)

When I lived with my parents I had a cable to their antenna. Which was nice, I had a tuner card hooked to it, and VLC let me watch and record TV through it.

Then I moved and now I'm too far from the city to get a decent signal with an indoor antenna, and my place is a condo so I can't just put an enormous aerial on the roof. But I object on principle to paying for television, so I just go without. I'm thinking of buying a good directional antenna and mounting it high up on my wall, but I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble and expense for something that might not wind up working well.

I mean all channels are available online so i dont see a point

DVB is only used in shithole countries.

ATSC is the standard used in the United States.

i've got rabbit ears hooked up to my 27". i mostly watch a digital broadcast sci-fi channel and a 24/7 westerns channel. pretty great and it's all free. of course i get the local nbc, abc, fox, etc affiliate channels as well and a public broadcast network with a bunch of programs. i live in an upper southern city.

Most Tv station are dead since digital transition, upgrade to 1080-DVB equipment is expensive, I only get one (1) fucking Tv channel in my location. Our "local channels" just upload videos to Youtube

Attached: remember_human.jpg (720x720, 107K)

You don't live in Memphis, do you? I watch those exact same channels...

Go to this site and input your address, and you'll get a map of stations you can receive

tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Attached: Capture.png (1288x888, 399K)

no comment, glad i'm not the only one watching those though!

I like to use my ancient roof antenna, but I can pick up some weird channels. There is one that only plays 1920's-1930's cartoons and other obscure media. Its a low power station.

I kinda equate it to all the weird stuff I listen to on my shortwave radio..

what sort of stuff do you catch on shortwave? i've been curious about exploring it, my dad's casually into listening to ham radio

I'm glad there are so many people that still enjoy finding weird shit on their antenna. Who here /svengoolie/?
You're a little bitch cunt

3rd worlder here yes, my cable company somehow don't wanna pay loicense so any sport's show on local tv are complete blocked.

It really depends on where you live in the US and the radio that you have. I can sometimes pick up pirate stations around holidays, but the Cubans are the most active to the US. Additionally, you can pick up the religious stations broadcasting from the Nashville, TN area. With a better antenna, you can catch stuff from Europe fairly easily.

It is far cry from the Cold War era, but there are some good stations left. CB radio is another interesting device; I have one in every car.

I get 102 channels OTA. Most of them are shit though.

They're still useful for sporting events, like watching the World Cup for free.

Is that a buttplug

i need to explore it. i've listened to a european software-defined radio that picks up european/asian shortwave stations but i haven't listened to anything local. i remember coming across several religious channels, a rock station of some sort, state media outlets, etc

Can you SDR a tv channel?

Well you big dumbass, converting to digital has no bearing on OPs question since you still need an antennae to pick up digital broadcasts if the signal isn't strong enough for the television to pick it up on its own. Also: OTA television is often the simplest and fastest solution to watch a television show in the highest video quality possible (it beats almost all streams, satellite, and cable services in picture quality) so go fuck yourself you stupid ass loser

>inb4 hurr enjoy your commercials
if you're too dumb to set up a DIY DVR for OTA broadcasts you should not be posting on Jow Forums

Attached: OOvAwMq.gif (250x188, 959K)

god damn, where the hell are you?

and where are the fuck you?

satellite and OTA use the same exact protocols. It's just a matter of where the signal is coming from and the encryption used to unlock it.

>satellite and OTA use the same exact protocols.
There are a lot of different satellite standards, but in the case that they are the same as OTA you still have differences in picture quality due to the way satellite providers set up their video streams. Almost everything on Dish Network is bit-starved and looks like shit. Only premium networks like HBO get fair treatment.

Svengoolie was my shit for the years between 2002 and 2009.
>Berwyn

>since you still need an antennae to pick up digital broadcasts
Wut? No you don't, the signal goes through cable here.

hey brainlet

we're talking over the air broadcasts in this thread

You don't "pick up" a signal through a cable even if you live in a place where local channels are provided via a cable network

And it doesn't have anything to do with digital in that case either. Local channels over wire have been a thing in some cities since the 50s.

>be in the one area in Canada with dozens of OTA channels
>they're all shit so there's still nothing to watch
I miss the 2000s so fucking much.

I've moved over to Satellite since beams from other countries cross over allowing you to watch 100's of foreign channels, many of which have English tracks. Debian server has multiple tuner cards and video is streamed over LAN so can watch on any device that's capable. Even with all these channels I still don't watch anything though.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-06-24-06h49m10s034.png (1920x1080, 1.37M)

>allowing you to watch 100's of foreign channels, many of which have English tracks.
For free?

I live in Southwestern Ontario and have a shitty QFX ant-19 antenna I bought at a liquidator.

>Picks up a grand total of 5 channels
>2 of which are the HD and SD versions of one another
>Other three channels are all housewife talk show shit during the day and false flag Trudeau-pandering news at night

Living in rural Ontario during the 1960s with no running water, no TV and no anime must have been suffering

There are lots of free to air channels (Disney, MTV, Nickelodeon) but many are still encrypted.

I don't get it, are those ones encrypted or not?

>all housewife talk show shit during the day and false flag Trudeau-pandering news at night
>implying all the Canadian networks aren't unironically this

WTF you see these antennas all the time on cars.

No, here in Europe those are free-to-air so if you live somewhere that can receive the signal from 19.2E then you can watch them. Some Satellites have C-band transponders that can cover half the planet but you need a dish the size of a car to receive them. That's why in Arab countries the roofs are littered with huge dishes.

I assume you're talking about ATSC because those Realtek SDRs are DVB tuners. ATSC requires more bandwidth than DVB so you'd need better hardware. You'll also need a fast CPU to demodulate and decode the signal in software.

I have an amped antenna in my attic that pics up about 50 stations and i have an old PC running media center to DVR them.

>this faggot fell for the ‘digital antenna’ meme around 2008

Fucking RETARDED frogposter.
You need to go back.

Dallas Area.

I did a scan recently on my TV tuner and saved a VLC type playlist. VLC won't open the channels though but I think they removed the features.. Maybe if I use a VLC version from like around 2010 it might work.

All channels and frequencies are here. I couldn't upload Jow Forums because image dimensions were too big:

i.imgur.com/G1nZ0hb.jpg

Idk if you're in the US, if you are, the FCC will fine your complex for not allowing antennas.

Search StartPage or DuckDuckGo for "DIY HDTV Antenna" and make one of those. I made one and it works fine for me. It takes about twenty minutes to make and you have nothing to lose by trying it. Putting it beside the window can help and you can get an amplifier if you need one. Loads of help online.