Why don't poor countries get into Jow Forums fields?

Why don't poor countries get into Jow Forums fields?

Since the cost of living in poor countries like those in Sub-Saharan Africa is at least 50-100 times cheaper than in developed Western countries and many/most tech jobs like software engineering, web development, database management, 3D modeling, graphic design, and game design & development can be done remotely by anyone with a brain and an Internet connection, couldn't a poor country boost its economy enormously by simply teaching their kids to code from a young age?

Currently, programmers earn roughly $50-150k per year with some (e.g. senior Google engineers) earning far more. What would happen if the President of Liberia decided to import a bunch of old computers running on Pentium IIIs from China, put one in every classroom and have their kids learning Python at the age of 12?

Would programming then turn into a $500 a year profession? Otherwise for what reasons would a tech firm hire a coder from a Germany or Silicon Valley over a Liberian one that costs 1/100th the price?

Attached: olpc-rwanda.jpg (500x377, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO
theverge.com/2018/4/16/17233946/olpcs-100-laptop-education-where-is-it-now
youtube.com/watch?v=6SJNVb0GnPI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP, imagine someone is paying you $1000 to eat shit. Not figurative shit, literal shit, the kind that comes out of your butt. Are you going to eat it? That's the experience someone paying 1/100th the price of a service will get. You get what you pay for. And that's why I blow off my work for a few hours every day.

Why is there such a big difference in quality?

You don't need a good computer to learn programming (a Raspberry Pi could do 99% of the stuff taught in beginner programming classes) and textbooks and learning materials can be found online for free or very cheap too.

If I was stuck in a poor African country with no hope of ever escaping then this is what I would do. Even if I priced my services at 1/10th the price of an equivalent German or US programmer, I'd still be making over 10 times the average Liberian wage.

Attached: moocs.jpg (611x379, 31K)

where do you think email spam comes from?

>Why don't poor countries get into Jow Forums fields?
eastern europe and hindoostan did
what's different about people in sub-saharan africa...?

>by anyone with a brain
this is why

Without getting into the eugenics argument.

The biggest issue is the lack of stability in Africa in general. Ghana and Nigeria proves there could be something resembling a tech sector in Africa, but when you are competing with Asia and Eastern Europe for work it's a hard market to break.

not if you're charging 15% of the price for the same quality of work

>he doesn't know about indian teg sabbort

tex sport*

hello welcome to teeg sabort my good friend

how you do?

>quality
That's the problem.

Any developing country will suffer from brain drain as the salaries that the developed world will always lure them away. Therefore the measure of growth and development from the services provided which are possible in a developing country will be dependent on the average of the population left behind.

While there are smart Africans, the base population just isn't that great. The standard is far higher in Eastern Europe and Asia. So, what's left after the good ones are bought just can't compete.

It's sad but true and probably why African countries have this cycle of poverty and instability because the people running the places are idiots and there is just too much work required to fix the place.

They do.

It's a country called India, and it was a complete disaster for almost everyone that involved themsleves with the country.

learning starts when you are born people in rich countries educate and take care of their kids since day 0 also to get a good job you need to have experience in the field, if you don't you are stuck with internships and shit jobs
africans and indians dont have a proper uprising or companies in their country where they can get experience in the field to move to important positions
sure you have the ocasional indian genius but theres more than a billion indians someone good is going to appear at some point but the average is way below someone that is considered useless here

>many/most tech jobs (...) can be done remotely by anyone with a brain
>by anyone with a brain
>Sub-Saharan Africa
>brains
Found your problem

Attached: 1514360973204.jpg (640x330, 31K)

Not even going to get into the poor quality work that tends to come out of these countries, so...

It's a difficult proposition for countries in the developed world. Not only is there a language and culture barrier, but you also have to deal with the fact that the people you're working with are probably immune from any legal ramifications that may arise during the course of their work. Imagine they work for you and then decide to rip off your IP. What will you do then?

You can already get Americans from flyover country to work for about 1/3rd of what it costs to hire an SV engineer, so what's the point of potentially dealing with all these issues when Cletus, the reasonably skilled software engineer in Alabama, will suffice just fine and give you a good deal because he doesn't have to spend $3000 a month to live in his studio apartment.

>India doesn't exist

Great thread OP. Truly great.

Poor country = malnutrition = bad development = lower IQ.
1/10th of German wages is closer to Eastern Europe, which doesn't have a problem with things like food or safety.

>You don't need a good computer to learn programming
>(a [computer] could do 99% of the stuff taught in beginner programming classes)
are you braindead

whats your point?

They'd have less malnutrition if they had lower birth rates. When you learn that during food surpluses they have a massive birth rate because they don't recognise that like the other 5 times over the past 20 years there can be a bad harvest. Especially if they don't bother buying fertiliser since they spend the money on jewels and shit.

These countries have almost no social services. In the developing world, children are both your main labor pool and your retirement.

Birth rates won't be brought under control until government services are improved.

What are the specs on those laptops? Are those the solar powered ones?

But that's just because they have no education and low IQ. Also adults secure their future by having plenty of children.

You think that "quality" is exclusively something measured in tech terms. It's not. It's measured in culture terms. In those shitholes people have sucked up the corrupt and rotten culture since they were born, and 99% of immigrants are mentally unable to change when they move to a first world country. Just go out and have a look at your typical eastern european/niggers/whores. There are more ways than you would imagine to do well by lying, extorting, being corrupt, etc etc in those places where they come from. Ordering quality work by email or phone is a first-world fantasy. These places put up a screen of sharply dressed pajeets who look like they will deliver; what you never get to see is the sweatshops that perpetrate the code you are buying, written by copy-paste heroes and code monkeys. Even at 15% from first-world rates it's not worth it. The misunderstandings, the botched working hours, the travels, the code rewriting because it's all shit and nothing works... it goes on.

Many countries do.
I've worked with people in India, Romania and Moldova.
China is educating literally millions of programmers as we speak.

Yes, in theory anyone in the world could learn an IT job and make a decent living.
But if everybody was intelligent, dedicated and hard working they wouldn't be poor in the first place.

Let's be honest here. They don't even wear shoes. They probably don't have access to drinking water, or a stable supply of food. How or why would they spend 10+ years in education to become programmers, instead of killing and robbing their neighbours, and stealing and raping their women to survive?

I think they're similar to the old, old netbooks. They typically have low power processors and tiny solid state drives and run on Linux:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO

Attached: original-asus-eee-pc.jpg (450x383, 23K)

we do
sir i can work remotely for 150$ month please contact me [email protected]
im not joking please contact

No solar panel and very poor specs.

Their main selling point was some kind of mesh network that would allow everyone share a single shitty internet connection so no need for WiFi access points.

they do, India is the most noticeable one because they are one of the most populated countries but they're not the only ones

China doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

Their per capita income is too high (>$8,000), their Internet is too heavily censored, and the language difference would cause communication issues between the programmers and the Silicon Valley team.

The Verge actually had a very good post mortem on the project - theverge.com/2018/4/16/17233946/olpcs-100-laptop-education-where-is-it-now

Basically, the project was way too ambitious and too tied up ideologically in the notion that simply giving people computers instead of investing in education and social services would improve their lot in life. The laptops were overpriced, barely usable, and there were problems with them being given out and then sold by families looking to make ends meet. What remains of the organization is almost entirely focused on building graphical systems for education like Sugar.

I don't know, lately I've been seeing a lot of interesting GitHub projects that were Chinese first with an English translation added later. Waiting for docs to be translated into English is definitely a new experience for Westerners.

I don't think China plans to sell their capacity abroad.
Just for internal use: become the worlds #1 in tech.

>What would happen if the President of Liberia decided to import a bunch of old computers running on Pentium IIIs from China, put one in every classroom and have their kids learning Python at the age of 12?
The smarter kids, who would have done better than the rest anyway, would learn programming, but most would not have the IQ and the conscientiousness for it. You aren't allowed to say this in public right now, but if you want to solve third-world poverty and drive down programmer wages, the best strategy is to invest in CRISPR and embryo selection for intelligence. If you don't, the Chinese will.

>literally what is India
t. OP

>Romania and Moldova
How are they to work with?

This WILL happen, probably before 2030, and how I long for this day. Coding is the new manual labor and tons of people working in it are retards. Their salary should reflect it.

Priorities.
History teaches that you must get into /ck/ fields before you can actually approach Jow Forums fields.

hello im need you do the needful for mine combuter pls is no werk

>can be done remotely by anyone with a brain

And that OP is why Africans can't in Jow Forums fields.

Now check the median wage, average wage and especially GDP per capita (as they are further skewed by foreign investors, dividends, etc) are a shitty metric. E. g. a country with 9 people earning 1 dollar a year and 1 person earning 10 billion USD will have average wage of 1 billion. Does it mean the workforce is expensive or that people there earn a lot? On the other hand median is 1 dollar and from the median you know that at least half of the population earns less than a dollar.

Low intelligence

people have been saying this for decades

Then maybe we should stop dumping 'aid' into these countries and let them figure it out for themselves.

Literally because they are black.

What's the difference between someone "coding" and someone with a Bachelors in Computer Science?

>But why don't Africans just enter cognitively demanding fields?
OP, did no one ever teach you about race and IQ?
youtube.com/watch?v=6SJNVb0GnPI

Attached: 1525934166832.jpg (1044x1103, 159K)

Is your office open or a lab?

often negligible

Gibsmedat

You cannot code if you don have electricity in the first place

So your saying that people with a BS/MS in CS will have no jobs in the next couple years?

I sometimes hire content writers from third world countries online.
I just give them a subject and a few talking points for a blog. And then they can fill in the blanks using wikipedia, or whatever. It takes no brains.

And they still manage to produce pure shit and plagiarize constantly.

Note they can earn a local monthly wage with me in 2 days, if they don't produce shit.

Sub-Saharan Africans have an average IQ between 60 and 70. That means that the average Sub-saharan African is less intelligent than somebody in the lowest 2% of an European country.

Would you pay them to code?

Attached: iq_by_country.png (1357x800, 25K)

They do, it's just they're shit at it.

what's the point of this

in most of these countries you have to pay for schooling, your dumb ass master plan is "what if there was even MORE SCHOOLING that nobody could afford?"

if it was going to happen it would have by now. for decades we had free software that you could literally use to do anything. even nonprofits were sending pcs to africa. golden opportunity but nothing happened.

source on that image?

They bathe in giraffe piss

I kinda feel bad for OLPC desĂș
their hearts were definitely in the right place, and they probably could've succeeded massively with the project if they waited a few more years for cheaper hardware to come out so they could make a genuine $100 laptop
shitty move on Intel's part to steal their thunder and make the laptops 2x more expensive as well

The legal issues are a big deal, although you can always hire lawyers in the foreign country to go after the person who stole your IP. If it comes down to it, bribe the police and judges to make sure that everything goes in your favour. Most places are not like China and these sorts of things can be dealt with, it's not some sort of insurmountable barrier. Having actually worked in Subsaharan Africa, I can say that your BIGGEST issue is the culture and work ethic. People have absolutely no concept of deadlines or quality. To work is to show up at some job an hour late, half ass your way to lunch, leave for 2 hours, come back, banter with coworkers for a few more hours and then leave an hour earlier than you are supposed to. And these are the reasonably good employees, there are others who don't show up at all and then act surprised and indignant when they're fired. What took my team two and a half years to accomplish could have been done in about ten months by North American or European workers, or in about 6-8 months by Chinese.

>Cletus, the reasonably skilled software engineer in Alabama
This made me chuckle for some reason

Superpower by 3200

Attached: TELEMMGLPICT000155971211_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqbDMv8JwwlDswndjPykimvxD3yQI4knTN7yOgVRnPgxc.jpg (480x300, 34K)

The data comes from this book

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-24 12-21-25.png (379x538, 147K)

Nogs are too stupid

iq
education
infrastructure

>This made me chuckle for some reason

It's cause it simultaneously confirms and contradicts the sterotype. For real though, these guys who grow up in flyover country are insane coders sometimes. I think it's because they had nothing else to do while growing up so they just spent all their free time getting gud at programming.

Third World Nigger here. To answer OP, the reasons are, educational curriculum, taxes on equipment and infrastructure.

If you go to , say black Africa, you 're going to have issues with bandwidth (East Africa just had a crazy fiber link installed and West Africa is Eurolinked , so that just leaves Central Africa) electricity interruptions and transportation issues. Some countries like, Nigeria can have serious black out issues in residential areas. If you have high electricity costs, like some island nations, having a bunch of computers running is going to be a real cost issue. The issues are less in the Caribbean and South America, but they are there, in the sense that the infrastructure is not as robust,especially with global warming and superstorms.

Now, lets say you want to bring down some Chink Shit or some of them Thinkpads. You happily point out that these are less than 300 USD each. The fuckers leave you alone are all butthurt because the price is not high enough to make you pay them the bribe to avoid the tax. Then you want to get some Ciscos to practice for CCNP, or a proper home lab because that's what it takes to get up the upper middle class (CCNA+CCNA security+ CCNA Voice with some Python/Powershell/TCL scripting at one of the local cell phone companies can land you with 20,000 USD a year. Solidly middle-class! ) Then those 30% import taxes, plus taxes on weight are going fuck you and fuck you hard. Microsoft does really good here because they give discounts and half/offs on certs. And remember, being a poorfag in the third world is nothing like being a poorfag in the first.....

Now Anons, you may notice that I have been talking a lot about certs. Why is that ? See, in our (black) countries, our technocrats noticed that a Microcomputer Revolution was coming. But due to Development failures, the fall in prices in commodities and the Volcker Shock, we couldn't not hire the top computer exports from the Soviet Union, the United States from Japan. And with incomes being what they were, you can forget about shit like Commodores, Ataris, Apples or IBM PCs. So by the 90s it was thought that there was a second best thing we could hire. A people who not only got the high tier coding jobs, but were expert on the Call Center/BPO market and could assist us with setting up our education system and industry.

Yup. Our education system got Pajeetified. They have basically taken over the heads of computing at our lower-- and mid-tier universities, and have drowned us with Java and mandatory two semester OOP courses. People just got so fed up with the Pajeets, that they just went and self-trained in sysadmin certs. And the HR department is far more interested in certs that can be verified than they are in code that can be cut and pasted.

Change is coming, somewhat. I'm seeing a lot of governments supporting Graphics coding and Animation with grants, though the educational system and imports still have to be reworked to focus on Algos/ ToC/ Architecture/Graph Theory, and not Pajeet shit

t. non developer who thinks you can make a 6fig salary by completing 2 coding bootcamps

Average IQ is in the 70s or something, are you dense? If those retards were smart enough to program africa wouldn't be third world in the first place.

>if they had lower birth rates.
Not gonna happen. Poor people fuck all the time because it's free and fun. And because being poor and being stupid are almost synonymous, you get an explosion of children.

You'll find the same thing in the USA. Go to almost any trailer park and you'll start finding families with 4+ children, even though they can't even afford to support 1 or 2 kids.

sorry, I know too many brainlets with compsci/software eng degrees

>erryone is dum
>I is only smart one

Dumb people would be useless progremers.
Poor countries have a lot of niggers.
Niggers are mostly dumb.

Ever heard of India?

Not only do are they btfo whitey in STEM, but also business and medicine.

4+ children is actually beneficial for the economy, since those kids actually grow up and tend to get educated and have fewer kids themselves. The US could easily support a population 4-5 times its current size.

The problem is that Africans frequently have 6+ kids.

Low IQ.

basic programming competence is hugely overvalued, just enjoy it while it lasts

T. Kike

Clearly you've never worked with Pajeets before. Maybe work a bit and you'll see.

All firms I worked for tried outsourcing programming tasks to shitholes like India and all stopped doing it after no more than 1 year.
Mass outsourcing to low IQ countries will never catch on in the long run.

tl;dr they should have been left alone from the start
if you left them alone, without any outer contact they would just stay hunters and gatherers forever. if they were however regularly visited by tourists and whatnot, they would demand the comforts of the western civilization which would result in the situation we're in now

>basic programming competence is hugely overvalued
Writing "for" loops and claiming you're hot shit is overvalued, sure.
Actually building solutions that work - isn't.

No infrastructure and computers cost 3x your yearly salary.

It's not about that... It's about the things you take for granted. It's about cultural differences, ways of doing things, integrity, etc.

It's also not easy. People just don't "do computers", OK? Some people are good at it, others are not. This holds true for any other country. Even India, which has tons of "engineers" who don't know jack shit, but do know basic English, so they're good enough.

because lack of infrastructure

this teebeeh

They already are, they're just pretending to be poor and are hiding their wakadan technology from colonizers (non-niggers).

They were heavily on the nurture side of the nurture vs nature debate. They believe in the Blank Slate Theory and never run out of excuses when things fail.

>t. non developer who thinks you can make a 6fig salary by completing 2 coding bootcamps
In some markets you actually can. Problem is once the framework that the boot camp taught goes out of fashion or even has a major new version released, the code campers become useless. They are little more than copy and paste monkeys who don't understand the underlying concepts. As a result once their knowledge of that one version of that one framework is no longer useful they are unable to adapt. Unfortunately they usually don't understand this reality so they adjust their life style to their new $125k salary instead of banking it for when they're canned once their usefulness is over.

yes my good friend is it plugged in?
make sure monitor on my friend.
Sometimes these things are off you know.
Restart computer my friend.
Yes you must do this now.
Are you doing this?
Good good.
It all work now yes?
Hm.. no?
You use window or mac?
Oh.
I know only window my good friend I sell you window now.
Mac broken i sell you now. okay?
Good.
You are my good friend.

This is why I'm going into electrical power engineering, that shit will never be obsolete or outsourced on a large scale

thx fren :)

Attached: bff.jpg (299x168, 12K)

No need to go that far into Africa, just take a look at southamerica, check the students handbook or courses in Peruvian universities, is a fucking joke.

These images always feature English on the board instead of some African language. Could this be the work of (((christian missionaries)))?

*outsources it to canadians*
psssh nothin personel

Peruvian? Have any interesting examples?