What's the point of this """""""""feature""""""""?

What's the point of this """""""""feature""""""""?

Attached: windows-10-virtual-desktops.jpg (1366x768, 155K)

it lets you have a multi-screen setup with only one screen, and it's a feature that's been on GNU/Linux since 1990.

just about to say this
the number dont lie

but you can't see them bout at the same time so what's the fucking point

In a multi-screen setup you still have to turn your head.

i have a revolutionary "multiscreen" setup too

it's called alt-tab

>t. stupid millenial thats never used linux

Pretty much the same as this.

Attached: Debian_8.2_GNOME_desktop.png (1920x1200, 470K)

Win10's version sucks though. I like having the multidesktop widget because you can just use your mouse scroll wheel to move between desktops. Also it shows a thumbnail of what windows are open in each.

It's great. Especially when you're on a laptop with only one monitor, but even on multiple monitors it's great.
The secret is that there are keybindings to switch desktops. It's almost as if I'm using a real DE with workspaces.

>Dock+screen overview
Either you have a very big monitor or you do not need a lot of things open at the same time. Seems like an absolute waste of space. I already hate docks, but this is another level user

YOU CANT MAKE THIS SHIT UP

Attached: brainlet-black-hole.jpg (1024x595, 74K)

i was actually legit hyped for that. i used it a bit but i3 does it a ton better. on i3 i could have a full screen video player, switch to maximized irc and switch back seamlessly.

>what is gnome

heres your (You) retard

Attached: wow-stop-posting-anytime.png (361x691, 187K)

That's the entire point, keeping different workspaces separate, I can keep my shitposting in one workspace and my actual work in another and another for my music. I don't need to interact with programs I'm not currently using and I don't necessarily want to close said programs.

minimize is your friend if you arent interacting with them. i only use workstations if i need to interact with them but i have like 4 windows i already positioned

The advantages of using multiple workspaces is immediately clear if you've ever used them on OSX. If you have multiple projects going, you can use workspaces to organize windows and extra material. Even tho I've since upgraded to dual 4K displays, workspaces still keep clutter to a minimum.
You can write a quick AHK script to make the keybinding more accessible too.

Attached: 666193-800w.jpg (800x543, 45K)

I've had exactly one instance where it was actually useful for me.
I was at work and one virtual desktop was my normal work environment (email, live logs, etc.) and the other was a dev environment (with about six different terminal windows) for an extension to our clients.
Unfortunately, our virtualization software fucked that approach over and caused windows to constantly switch desktops and shit.

Other than that, it's fucking retarded.

However, Task View is even worse on tablet. Windows 8 had a similar interface that also had an equivalent of alt+tab and could be controlled with a single thumb.
This abomination instead has hitboxes in the middle of the fucking screen, requiring you to always use two hands unless the tablet is stationary.
I wish I could bring back the Win8 behavior here, but apparently the world is content after having destroyed a good thing.

Never used it turned it off

Kill yourself you retard.

Someone suggested it to me some time ago on Jow Forums and I gave it a try.
It's completely useless.

You mean Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 727397_richard-stallman-one-of-the-linux-founders-gestures-during-a-speech-in-taipei-june-8-as-the-s (605x400, 57K)

He meant CDE

Attached: 1nq47gvo6e2y.jpg (1024x769, 158K)

It's an incredibly niche thing that might save some time in some scenarios. It's basically just a macro for minimizing/activating a certain set of windows, in case you have 26 things open and you don't want to alt+tab to each thing individually. Same with "sets", i.e. letting you tab regular applications into a window.

In the new Windows 10 version it acts like a history of current and previously opened programs

I use it at work

One desktop for BAU work/general web browsing
another for project work

>keep minimizing, un-minimizing and moving around multiple windows separately
or
>have different workspaces with their own windows all visible and positioned like you want them, and quickly switch between them with ctrl+win+left/right or alt+tab

I actually went to use this for the first time for work purpose (wanted a clean desktop)... nope. It keeps all the same icons as the other so useless

Linux.

>fucking retarded
>incredibly niche
I can't believe you are for real. It's one of the handiest features implemented in Windows, and of fucking course people on this board have to complain about it and argue its usefulness.
>Why don't you just constantly juggle all of your windows or force yourself to only keep one or two open at all times?
I bet you argued against fucking tabs in web browsers at the time they were implemented. Why don't you use an OS that doesn't allow you to open more than one window at a time too?
>inb4 I use a smartphone ;^))))

Justifying another windows release with more backdoors and unwanted spying fuctionality.

Because you don't usually have 26 windows open. And if you did, you'd buy a second monitor.

This only makes sense if you never turn off the PC.
Otherwise you'll have a fucking annoying startup process.

lrn2gnome