/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in boards.Jow Forums.org/g/#s=csg

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: __ayanami_and_terebi_chan_azur_lane_and_niconico_drawn_by_yukiyuki_441__81600c99c7ecf882d6752dfaebe2 (878x1239, 739K)

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements/
rtings.com/headphones/
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/
ohm-image.net/data/audio/
geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/review.html
audiobudget.com/
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/
verumsonus.com/category/headphones/
head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-fr-measurement-database-20-06-update.830062/
en.goldenears.net/GR_Headphones
ko.goldenears.net/board/GR_Headphones
graphs.headphone.com/
rinchoi.blogspot.com/
headphones.reviewed.com/reviews
sonove.angry.jp/
seeko.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review
lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/actualites
sclibrary.net/headphone_review
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/
geocities.jp/mister_terch/MemoMain.html
archimago.blogspot.com/2018/06/musings-why-do-people-equate-high-end.html
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
digizoid.com/power.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>canpicker
delete this

if you don't like it make sure to be the next OP

Why do you enable some bullshit scam?

name a better alternative

You don't need an alternative to cut out a tumor.

fine, next time i'll post Zeos new site
i hope you're happy

Hows gustard's product
compare to audio gd

Attached: __yumi_hmv_and_senran_kagura_series_drawn_by_yaegashi_nan__fbd32996406adfb33ad663059b5d8d21.jpg (2884x4064, 1016K)

Jow Forums helped me buy these headphones with a 20% discount and they're great to use. Just got these yesterday

Attached: 20180622_160851.jpg (4032x2268, 2.21M)

first for """Semi-Open""" Superlux headphones

Attached: aaaaa (1 of 1)-100.jpg (1000x642, 114K)

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Is there a chance these are even comparable to the HD 650s or 600s or is this just some scam?
the price seems insane

that's because jewheiser sells overpriced headphones.

there is literally no reason to get those when the hd6xx's are available at the same time

Edifier Stax has gotten too good at sexing up their products. Lambdas are supposed to have brown plastic, black stators and a foam grille.

Attached: l700pro.jpg (969x889, 104K)

they're HD650 with a different pain job, lower price comes from large production volume, direct sales and lower profit margin compensated by larger sales volume

yeah the 6xx's are on massdrop for 200USD MUCH cheaper than the 650s
if theyre a straight update to the 650s its a sick deal I'm wondering if it's a safe buy

holy fucking shit I'm retarded, I didn't actually look at the link, and thought you were talking about the akg k7xx's

those are worth it, don't fall for the other jewheiser scams, since these are just rebranded 650's, but a lot cheaper

it is a safe buy, they're being released by Sennheiser themselves as a marketing gimmick to sell off excess stock, and encourage people to buy their high end headphones, or bring people into it, so more people stay in their brand when they decide to upgrade

They sound identical to the HD650. They are bar none the best headphones at that price for music.

thanks a lot guys

On the topic of HD6x0s. I'm set on getting a pair of HE4XXs for fun/portable uses. What's a great complement to these for serious (jazz/classical) listening? Are the massdrop HD6XX good for this use or should I shill out for something more expensive like the HD660s?

the 660s's only provide a super slight bump in sound quality over the 6xx's not worth the hundreds of dollars for what's essentially the same headphone

and yeah, they're great for instrument oriented pieces

>(jazz/classical)

Stax

Attached: I got mine brand new and always stored them under a dust cover. However a few weeks later I noticed (1547x1060, 438K)

Loving my wh1000xm2's. Finally got to try them on a plane and train and its ridiculous how big of an difference they make. Is it only this gen of noise cancelling thats actually effective? I remember trying some cheap shit years back and it made 0 difference.

Noticed that listening with noise cancelling off removes almost all the bass which is bit weird.

Attached: aussi.jpg (680x534, 105K)

They've been pretty good since about 2013. Strangely a lot of noise canceling headphones sound worse with the moose canceling off. Something about the tuning I'm sure.

Honestly if those make up the majority of your listening I'd recommend AKG 7xx over HD6xx. I've owned both and classical is the only genre of music the AKGs best the Sennheiser but they are truly fantastic for it.

How does /hpg/ store their headphones? Do you leave your headbands stretched out or do you put it back in its regular position?

I keep original boxes. I got only 4 headphones though.

I keep them inside bags. I leave the HD600s headband stretched while I return the Pro 82 to its regular position, as it won't stay in place.

KZ IEMs are unironically good enough for "fun" sounding casual listening and cheap enough that you don't care if they break.

Are PRO 82 better than HD600?

Not even close. I just use them for my commute or for when someone is making a lot of noise around here.

Share your measurement sources, please

innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements/
rtings.com/headphones/
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/
ohm-image.net/data/audio/
geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/review.html
audiobudget.com/
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/
verumsonus.com/category/headphones/
head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-fr-measurement-database-20-06-update.830062/
en.goldenears.net/GR_Headphones
ko.goldenears.net/board/GR_Headphones
graphs.headphone.com/
rinchoi.blogspot.com/
headphones.reviewed.com/reviews
sonove.angry.jp/
seeko.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review
lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/actualites - choose "TESTS"
sclibrary.net/headphone_review
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/
geocities.jp/mister_terch/MemoMain.html

more questions about Superlux:

they make fake AKG and sell it for $40.
you can get real AKG for $50.

???

fake Beyerdynamic at $60-70 makes more sense because real one cost at least double the price.

obviously the sound is different - China only makes good copies of electronics.

Are there actually any benefits to these high-end CD players or are they just snake oil?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

>2018
>playing CDs
You're supposed to rip them into FLAC files, user.

They cost more so poorfags will get angry
That's all

Attached: tgAwbZE.jpg (900x675, 405K)

What are some high-end closed-backs that compete with the Aeon Flow Closed?

Takstar PRO 82

Post good headphones. I'll start. Argon mk3

Attached: 001.jpg (2048x1152, 554K)

Anything other than that chinkshit?

Attached: 1506711922253.png (320x287, 88K)

I just see most people with high-end gear running some form of dedicated source > AMP/DAC > headphones setup instead of PC > amp/DAC > headphones setup.

>high-end gear
These people confuse "high end" with expensive.

Why don't you post your Stax, poorfag?

catphones

Attached: IMG_20180526_122751344.jpg (2340x4160, 2.26M)

HD600 cat best cat.

Just modded my 7506 to have a detachable cable. Just took some soldering and didn't have to buy any extra cables, just the 3.5mm plug and a cord. Highly recommended.

Attached: 7506mod.jpg (480x640, 32K)

Here is a good read on the subject

archimago.blogspot.com/2018/06/musings-why-do-people-equate-high-end.html

oof No camera on hand sorry. You can see this tho.

Attached: Stillhavethem.png (639x338, 175K)

>When you own Stax but people on /hpg/ don't believe you even tho you posted proof. And they themselves don't post proof.

Attached: 10065380.jpg (1073x1428, 267K)

Just letting you all know that the USB powered Schitt Modi 2 measures like garbage. The jitter is very high, depending on computer activity (this is very bad). Go with something else. If you want more info, read this post audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/

Attached: index.png (1419x894, 82K)

>Measuring DACs
Brave, bold, useless.

A good alternative is the Topping D10 (cheaper), Topping D30, or SMSL Sanskrit.

Attached: New-TOPPING-D10-is-a-USB-DAC-with-Line-out-Optical-and-Coaxial-output-use-XMOS.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 36K)

What do you think electrical engineers are supposed to do? Schitt completely shit the bed on the USB Modi 2.

Why?

Attached: knrd0pskhj511.jpg (1024x866, 78K)

>Hey can you hear the peek at 50khz?
No. No one can. Not even a baby.

>day 3 of waiting for my orthodynamic planar magnetic HE-500 headphones

The hype is real!!!

Attached: received_1651269121636902.png (931x693, 659K)

>>>/csg/

Such as Modi 2 Uber, wall powered.
Or Topping D30, or OL-DAC. Non-USB inputs desirable.
I use coax spdif between my computer and m2u.

Wall powered is a safer bet, but a good USB powered DAC with proper filtering (Topping D10 for example) will measure much better than USB powered Modi 2.

Attached: index.png (1122x905, 71K)

>He sold his dad's PS4 and medication for chifimans

Unironically paying for faulty product is bold and stupid.

Yes, it's established schiit sucks at USB. This is probably why they hyped their "gen-5" or whatever they call it usb interface that much. They might or might not have improved, we'lll see over time. Meantime, better to avoid the base Modi 2.
As for the Fulla 2, I own one and like it, but I'm interested in alternatives that have the same functionality. Particularly, aux in/out, usb powered, amp+dac, large volume knob.

Are these good for mixing?

>SNR *way* below audible (16bit = 96dB)
>"faulty"

I used the extra money I saved to rebut my dad his medicine and ps4, hes not threatening to kick me out anymore

Attached: 1478032071964.jpg (196x240, 7K)

I used the extra money I saved to buy my dad his medicine and ps4 back*

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg (519x550, 33K)

the link on the wiki post to the 200 and over headphone guide is kill, someone spoonfeed me a similar guide to use as a starting point pls

Really? You said that you used all the money on random shit a few days ago. You even said that you're considering selling your dad's car

So my new PC case has no front audio port meaning I'll have to use to one on the mobo. I'm thinking of getting a cable extension to mitigate this, but will I experience any noticeable degradation in audio quality?

HD6XX or Stax.

That random shit was the list of stuff my dad wanted me to replace

His car is fine, I tried driving it to the car auction but I realised I didn't know how to drive and got myself locked in the car for an hour instead.

Attached: 1528668836589.jpg (973x968, 110K)

I hear the Cavalli Liquid Carbon is a great pair for the HD800.
Since the company went belly up, where can I find one?

>proof
>an unfulfilled order

What does it sound like with Stax in electronic music when you set a 15 dB bass boost and turn it up loud?

Might buy these tomorrow - Turtle Beach Ear Force Recon 50P Stereo Gaming Headset for AU$50 to use with my PS4

Should I?

Attached: 11359637405726.jpg (1200x1200, 106K)

Good choice.

If I can power my headphone with the amplifier nob only at 40% of the way, does that mean the amplifier is fine for my headphone?

Asking because Im planning on powering my LCD2's with my Fiio e10k and someone said they could get them to a good listening volume with the e10k at only 40% volume

Pls respond

Attached: 1515981381822.png (901x798, 660K)

That's your headcannon

explain what i'm seeing here?

maybe but as a dac I doubt the e10k is going to do justice to such an expensive headphone.

If I were you I would look into the O2/ODAC. expensive but it should last yout years and power whatever you throw at it.

this cat is pretty much cum tribute worthy. if a girl looked as pretty as this, i'd rape her.

same with fulla 2 but it just depends on your USB. if you have a clean USB you are fine.

you will be fine. sure you can give planars more power but if it's not loud you can always get better amp later
also try not to go above 70-80Db and even that not for more than 8-10h

Could you explain to me why the fiio e10k wouldn't do it justice even if it could get it to a good listening volume at 40% power?

Asking because ive heard a lot of conflicting info and I don't know who the believe

kek

Can't you read up on your headphone and amp and calculate whether the amp is sufficient?

DACs DO NOT matter. period.
there are amp flavors, but even those start to change only above $300 in solid state department if power is sufficient and going above $350 for an amp is retarded.
I'd get smsl m6, the thing is powerful and clean enough within reasonable price range if fiio doesn't work out.

You shouldn't really be using that amp with those headphones. An o2 or magni 3 would be much better, but you then need a dac. The fiio would be good enough as a dac.

planars are tricky, they efficiency ratings are bullshit half the time specially expensive ones

>DACs DO NOT matter. period.
You say that as though everyone here isn't using something like an ODAC.

practical people use combos.

digizoid.com/power.php

Give this a go.

ODAC rev B has PCM5012A compared to original ODAC + E10K's PCM5012 right? Measurements do indicate that ODAC rev B outperforms original ODAC. Idk if it's audible or not

>DACs DO NOT matter. period

only poorfags actually believe that.

What's your budget? Current HD6XX drop may be your best bet.

Attached: AFC996BC-CF61-4DB3-B2BE-B45419A91B72.jpg (2545x3880, 2.27M)

nobody cares

Do you enjoy your equipment more than listening to the music?