Is it worth learning lua?

is it worth learning lua?

Attached: lua.png (1024x640, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

im.triggered.help/humble/programming_in_lua/programming-in-lua-4ed.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you're already a programmer fluent in a few languages you don't need to"learn" lua - you can get used to it in a week. If you aren't then don't learn it as a first or second language because it's not that useful compared to other languages.

It's so awful it will make you noticeably worse at programming no matter what level you are.

UMA

Just use Squirrel, it's Lua with C++ style syntax and without autism

Depends what you want to do with it.

javascript deprecated it.

only people who will be using it are people who aren't integrating v8 into their project for some reason.

I used awesomewm and that required me to use lua. Eventually I stopped using awesomewm. I fucking hate lua.

it's an easy language to learn (especially those without brain damage from C and its ilk). but there is no utility in it unless you already have a particular use in mind.

This, except it's useful if you specifically want to use it to mod or script games (and it is absolutely amazing for that, World of Warcraft is the biggest success story but there are others). Otherwise, learn something else.

Also, don't take it as an indication that Lua is a poorly designed language. Among the languages that have been in the top 30 for the last few years, it's probably the best designed dynamic language out there.

You can actually rake in a ton of cash from making Roblox games with it.

Do any new videogames actually use javascript for scripting? This was always Lua's strong suite

Learn Tcl instead. wonka wonka

Why not, it's a small and extremely fast language with lots of real world uses. Use it with nginx to front a redis cache, embed it within your C or C++ application. So many cool things you can do with it.

Here you go:
im.triggered.help/humble/programming_in_lua/programming-in-lua-4ed.pdf if you go up a level i have it in .epub and .mobi too I believe.

is it worth leaning go?

Is it actually gaining ground in inudstry or is it just another meme language?

If you want to embed a scripting language onto your program but don't want something as bloated as python, lua is the best option out there. Otherwise, just use anything else.

It really depends on what counts as a videogame, I'm pretty sure that Google play is full of shitty html5 games.

There's also that javascript that isn't javascript thing from unity, there's probably a brainlet out there that still uses that.

is moonscript worth learning too?

Yes

thanks

I can't download it senpai :(

Sorry forgot I moved some files, try the link again and it should work for you.

I think he's talking about scripting for mods. In WoW most client mods were written in Lua and in Gmod Lua was used to script weapons and game modes. Lua was designed to be a lightweight scripting language meant to be embedded into other applications for purposes such as modding.

made a wow addon that said FAG on screen when I died, worth reading all the docs

Only if you want to write mods for the binding of isaac

thank you amigo

The source code for it is cozy, and the JIT for it was written by a God. It's fun to program in, but it would suck to make a large project in it.

tl;dr It's not super useful outside of videogames, IC, or south american shitholes, but if you're bored go for it.

Lua was created by (((Roberto Ierusalimschy)))

it's easy and useful
if you need to embed a programming language in a program for whatever reason, your first pick (after seeing if you actually, really need to embed a language in the program) should be lua instead of python or some other shit

no one really writes anything in non-embedded Lua, but it's also extremely common (go ahead, assuming you're not on Windows, see if lua is installed -- it probably is)

no problem, if you go up to that /humble/ directory i have a bunch of books. I'll add more as I buy them.

Are you me?

Javascript engines are bloat.

It's fast and simple. Integrates well with C. Pretty syntax too.

>things I don't understand are bloat

also lua is bloat too. there are other scripting engines that are header only. I'd argue that's 10x less "bloat" than luajit

Some unity scripts can now be written in JS iirc. Kinda niche but still technically there

fellow robloxian

Meme language. Lacks generics and very few people use it.

Go has a way of defining generic data types without all the problems and boilerplate C++ has.

Yes if you have a use for it.
It's a simple language, you'll learn it well in a couple days.

Head-only is compile-time bloat, you stupid faggot.
Calling lua bloat just shows how meaningless "bloat" has become.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (928x732, 42K)

Scripting is not only for mods.

Do you need to call C functions with zero or less than zero overhead a millions times per second?

If yes, then learn luajit. Else just go for js.

Of course not you dunce. What I'm saying is that mods and embedded systems are mostly where you'll be seeing this language in particular because it's designed for that purpose.

>full blown just in time compiling vm isn't "bloat"
>V8, which is the exact same shit is bloat

fuck off.

What's a good resource on getting started with Tcl + Tk?

Eh. As an example against Lua, DCSS uses it to generate clouds. While the rest of the game is reasonably fast, heavy cloud generation (especially in a certain part of the game, the Desolation of Salt) is ridiculously slow. Admittedly, its slowness is probably due to it being horribly coded/horribly maintained, but it nonetheless soured my feeling towards Lua's capabilities.

It was made by brazilians, do you want people to know you use something made by brazilians?

Yeah but what you're saying has nothing to do with what that guy said.

Yes, but be aware that using Tcl from C is nicer.

Learn X in Y minutes.

Of course no, arrays starts at 1, what the fuck is that

a sensible abstraction?

arrays starting at 1 makes a load more sense. less length-1 shit for instance. a lot of time in C, I hate doing like sizeof(some_actual_array)-1 and other such shit.

I find it to be like haskell but without fucking you to ass when you try to do things in it. I like lua, it's okay language and it's syntax isn't something I really needed to "learn", like this post said:

You can learn it in one day, so it's not much of an investment to begin with.

>embedding V8
There is a reason few projects actually do this and Qt replaced it with V4VM for their own crap.
Anyway, if you need a JIT compiler for your scripting shit, you are doing it wrong anyway.

Lua doesn't have arrays, if it did have arrays then starting at 1 would make no fucking sense. Lua has special cases of table. Table indices start at 1.

There's probly generations of eggdrop tutorials out there. Shit, I don't remember any fuckin tcl and I wrote a few in my childhood. Tk is still in use in every lang though, TkInter is an obvious case.

I usually embed the language with my SDL/SFML applications so that I can write the engine/backend in C++ and use Lua to script the rest. I'm not sure if there's any other good alternatives, but it works well enough for me in that case.

This, except I use DirectX.

Love2D is basically just that. I trust them more than myself to optimize some game engine shit, SDL backends always just werk.

Yes, it's a domain specific language (DSL) - embedded scripting in other programs. And it's good in its niche, but no one makes entire applications in lua. So unless you know you need it, don't use it.

It's not remotely domain specific, it's a fully usable language in any domain, especially when doing JIT-able things. It is very lightweight though.

It's easily the best scripting language for gamedev. LuaJIT is fast as fuck.

>no one makes entire applications in lua.
There's a web framework for Lua. itch.io was made in Lua (technically moonscript but it compiles to Lua).

Just because it's all a game offers doesn't mean it's "good" for the job.

if it's embedded you're probly not going to see any of that JIT, regular lua stuff is still fast as fuck though.

Lua's really generic enough to be decent at anything. If you can represent it in a table then it is going to do fine.