Is it safe to connect a HDMI cable from a laptop to a TV while both are turned turned on?

Is it safe to connect a HDMI cable from a laptop to a TV while both are turned turned on?

Attached: HDMI-Kabel.jpg (1196x1196, 105K)

A thread died for this user... but the answer is yes.

That thread was weak if it died to this one.

next time

That sounds incredibly risky... why not just turn it off

Don't do this it'll make mustard gas

If you kill your enemies, they win.

Is it safe to connect a usb cable from a phone to a pc while both are turned turned on?

Why the fuck not? Do you throw breakers in your house to plug shit in?

Ehh I wouldn't risk it OP. I've heard stories...

holy shit are you crazy

Anyone else ever get a shock when plugging one of these cunts in?

Attached: 15m-21pin-scart-to-3x-rca.jpg (900x710, 62K)

I remember a hell of a lot of a potential difference in between my parents' loewe tv and my n64, probably due to the old ass electrical wiring in the house, so the cinch connectors would shock me on a daily basis

Contrary to the meme opinions posted ITT, the answer is no, it is not completely safe to connect the cable in such a manner.

When a device operates and has pins floating (without the load, i.e. HDMI cable with laptop attached to it), the free pins act as little antennae and build up electrostatic charge due to surrounding electrical field (from the device itself and capacitive coupling from the mains voltage).

Connecting an inductive load (the ferrite beads posted in your image to the upper left are inductors) such as a HDMI or many other cables, causes the built-up voltage to rapidly spike (look up inductor voltage curves when driven with a square wave, or step response of a charged inductor), in some cases damaging the internal TV circuitry, and possibly the laptop output circuitry too. Peak voltage of the spike depends on how long the device had been turned on and much voltage has built up. Most TV's and laptops nowadays include protective circuitry for such occurrences, but you can only rely on those for a finite amount of times.
Long story short, you should turn off your TV and either ground the pins or wait a couple of minutes for the charge to disperse before connecting the inductors.

nice bait lad

Attached: 1488224603318.jpg (785x757, 199K)

Good to see these two working together for once

So if I used one of these to plug in a tv as a second display would I get the audio? (DP end into PC HDMI end into tv)

pic related

Attached: 82-850-080-02.jpg (640x480, 16K)

Yes you would get audio

Yes. HDMI is like an advanced usb c mixed with botnet version of vga.

Sparkles.

Attached: ps2.jpg (220x294, 17K)

As long as your outlet is properly grounded. If I doubt use an outlet ground tester

I always do this before plugging in any hdmi or USB device. Never leave my house without my tester.

That's a phrase I haven't heard for some time. Thanks for the laughs.

no but I've been shocked by poorly/non-ground computers before.

Attached: SAY_NO_TO_SCART.png (1262x1262, 64K)