/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post tech-related questions here that don't deserve their own thread.

Attached: fuck bitches get money.jpg (640x480, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb-matrix-plus-real-time-clock-hat-for-raspberry-pi/overview
lvcdn.net/gop/
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
westonaprice.org/health-topics/onions-alert/onions-and-the-brain/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Will there be any issues if you hook up a new 4k monitor to an old desktop from 10 years ago?

Attached: 32f234.png (211x239, 3K)

The GPU may be too old to handle a 4K resolution, maybe 1440p at most. There shouldn't be any major issues, however.

I'm going to be moving my main rig into a much smaller and more obscure case (Dell Dimension L1000R, pic related) I like the much smaller and compact design, but airflow is going to be a large issue, with no fans in the case at all, and the only real vent is behind the PSU.

The way the case is built is that the PSU is directly over the CPU, leaving very little room for proper cooling (I've already bought a Noctua ultra-slim cooler for the CPU, since my EVO 212 won't fit obviously) I'm worried about possible overheating, so is there any nontraditional method (besides Lasko fans) I can use to keep it cooled down?

Attached: Dell Dimension L1000R.jpg (869x767, 51K)

Best interior image I could find

Attached: Dell Dimension L1000R Interior.png (1437x969, 1.45M)

most likely

I plugged in a 1080p monitor on a vista pc from 2007 and noticed a significant framerate decrease

thanks

so there's really no point then since you can't get the max performance of the monitor?

you can downscale to 720p and it would work just fine

you're building a sleeper PC?

If I would attempt to learn a bit of coding, what language should I choose?

yep, my mom brought a bunch of old machines from work, and this one really caught my eye. I'm just hoping it's worth all the effort I've put into it.

Okay so I have been really inactiv on Jow Forums the latest couple of months. Just realized that foobar has fucked up badly and don't work for me anymore. What's the next best music player?

Is it safe to update a pirated Office installation?

Anyone here into their electronics simulation software? What software do those graphs come from?

Attached: graph.gif (846x304, 8K)

I'm trying to OC my memory to 3000mhz, which works, but the timings were off, they were like 21-26-26-50. Is something like 16-16-18-36 acceptable and most likely stable to run? Also, the DRAM voltage apparently isn't the voltage that needs to be set. I saw CPU VCCIO Voltage and CPU System Agent Voltage in a guide, what are the optimal setting for those?

Pic is when my XMP is enabled, but it isn't stable and I get blue screens after 30 minutes or so. CPU is a 2700x

Attached: Speccy.png (751x563, 35K)

Attached: V&.gif (480x270, 240K)

Should I update Windows?

Thanks.

That would be reasonable. I would set the dram voltage to 1.4

this question could start a shitstorm
I'd say go with anything at least loosely object-oriented because that's what's being used the most these days. Python could be a good start. It's fairly easy and you might actually write something useful with it, like a script to automatically delete files older than a number of days in your downloads or some shit.

what have you done

Attached: STOP.gif (853x480, 2.49M)

So my roommate insisted on blasting the house with insect fogger and now my psu fan is rattling. Is it plausible that the particulate settled in the bearing and fucked it? It happens to be the only fan in the case oriented downward.

Python. It's pretty easy to pick up and you'll be able to start doing cool things faster than with most other languages

Hi /sqt/,
I've just started a project involving a raspi and an LED lightboard. The lightboard takes 5V DC, and came with these two prongs for input. The red one is VCC, the other is ground.

So how am I supposed to use these? I've never had a product which used these types of cables.

Attached: IMG_20180624_174313.jpg (3036x4048, 3.54M)

Like this. Follow this guide for more help: learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb-matrix-plus-real-time-clock-hat-for-raspberry-pi/overview

Attached: led_matrices_leds_plugspades.jpg (3252x2439, 1.02M)

Best version of Windows? I've had enough of this win10 bs

98SE

I cracked the screen on my s4 a while back and I need to get some stuff off it. I connected it to kies, but I can't get into it because it's locked. Anyone know what I can do to get around this?

Technical question about video.

This thread is full of music webms that are simply 1 frame of video.
lvcdn.net/gop/
Using the above example shows, as you'd expect, a big bar representing the I-frame and a bunch of tiny red bars for P-frames. In the views with I-frames present, you can barely even see the P-frame red bars due to the scale. But if you skip ahead, you'll see that each P-frame is about My question is, why do the P-frames require any data at all? There's literally no change through the entire video.

Which current CPU has the absolute best single core performance? Price and fanboyism aside, I need the fastest core I can get. Bonus if it's x86 but doesn't have to be, since I can recompile software. Also keep in mind that in the BIOS options I will be disabling multicore, so if that would boost the single core speed significantly then sign me up.

I'm running an emulator called SheepShaver (also figuring out QEMU) to emulate a PowerPC Mac to run Mac OS 9. I have closed source programs for it that I need to run at maximum performance. The emulator can only take advantage of one host core at a time and translates to about 15% performance in the virtual core. This means I'm not even on par with a 1GHz G4.

Send help.

Attached: zika_pepe_dunce_cap.png (658x901, 81K)

What's the best app/program to access my computer from my phone?

Attached: f8fe3e11-42ad-4b73-b33c-bcdbd1686c9c.gif (320x240, 1.06M)

Any way yo find Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 clean ISO?

Wew. The shit people say. You don't need a fucking key to download the ISO. It's right here

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You only need the key to ACTIVATE it, and no, you won't magically get some kind of malware from a shady KEY. Worst case your money is wasted, although that's pretty unlikely with kinguin. They're generally pretty solid if you pick a well established seller. I also wouldn't bother with the optional insurance.

Some college emails are valid for getting education edition while they're enrolled. It largely depends on the school and what type of degree they're getting. If he qualifies, it's a great deal. That computer will still have it after he graduates and even if you have to reinstall. Also education is the best version of windows. You can actually turn off more spying and BS like cortana than on any edition you can purchase.

what the fuck is the point of LINQ?

Thanks user. I may look into getting that clock HAT if it looks like using that will make my life easier

Is e-ink good for manga reading?

It makes it easier to deal with complex data.

I've put ESXi onto an AM4, put Windows 7 into one virtual machine and then added 3 HDDs (each one is a datastore) and spanned them. Windows 7 sees one drive of 4TB and I've made it one partition with unused space. This is good.
I've created a second VM and put Ubuntu on it. I want it to access the spanned drive. I want both VMs to be able to use the spanned 4TB. At the moment Ubuntu can't see the spanned drives and when I use the vmware gui I seem to be only able to deal with the 3 drives as datastores and I'm not sure of what to do.

Can I just added each of the datastores from the 3 drives to the Ubuntu VM and it will detect the spanning on its own?

Attached: datastores.jpg (1890x525, 97K)

Idk i think Intel CPUs have better single core performance

Will this dooda

Attached: received_490326624715030.jpg (4032x3024, 457K)

I literally am unable to install windows 7 in my new machine because apparently windows 7 does not recognize usb drivers from my mobo and I tried everything but can't get it working.

I heard win10 is easier to install and does not have that problem. Should I go for it? I only use it for games and nothing else.

Does using DDR3@1600Mhz instead of faster DDR4 have a significant performance hit in games?

Go onnthis zoink? The zoink is on an rx 580 from asus.

Attached: received_490326694715023.jpg (190x500, 15K)

Windows ten will be fine. I havent had much issue with it.

yes

Thank you. I ordered the computer and then was like, what about my dino monitor I use on the side? Thank you.

Just do some home surgery on the case. Dremel tool, etc.

what is the most typical email address for an online store? [email protected]? [email protected]? [email protected]?

BASIC

Why not just buy a decent smaller case?

Why does everyone hate anything older than Windows XP?

Attached: 1496898887575.jpg (908x714, 99K)

Installing Void Linux on an old Thinkpad x140e that I got for free.
when I ip link I only see something called lo, and something called enp3s0. I don't think that's a wireless card, is it? Cause the guide I'm following to get my wireless set up isn't working. Would appreciate some help cause I'm a total noob.

If it's missing a wireless card and I can't Alternately can somebody give me some inspiration for cool things to do with a netbook that can't access the internet? I could use it as a cold-storage crypto wallet, right?

probably [email protected]

Attached: 35239658_2132364950344147_3359734602473144320_n[1].png (800x449, 468K)

Everything before runs like shit and doesnt work on new equipment.

If you install a boomer operating system, it will just drink Monster energy drink and bitch about snake people.

[email protected]?

pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

>probably [email protected]
yea for customer service but i guess i'm asking specifically about order notifications.

quite possibly, just wondering if [email protected] or [email protected] is more common, and if there are caveats like if sales is more oriented towards b2b and orders is more oriented towards b2c

Any recomedations for someone who has very limited data use for high speed internet and want to play games? I have enough data to play games but not download them. I have friends with good interent that they will let me use but i cant move my tower everytime i need to do a big patch on wow.

Asked someone who isn't.

Not sure if this applies to Jow Forums or just Clover.

I'm using clover and I want to filter every post containing "x m" and "m x" with x an element of the integers between 1 and 50. I made a baby tier code to print:
>"0 m" "1 m" "2 m" ... "49 m" "50 m" "m 0" "m 1" "m 2" ... "m 49" "m 50"
and pasted this into the a filter node.

But it seems clovers/4chans filter doesn't want to filter more than one quoted phrase in a single filter node.

For example
>"OP BTFO" "kys desu senpai"
Doesn't filter either nor both phrases.

Halp? Is there a way to separate phrases in the filter node? I tried commas, periods, semicolons, etc and nothing worked.

I must know.
Is basedboy filtered on Jow Forums too?

It's a global filter, thank god.

Whatbare you refering to?

Not global. It isn't filtered on /ck/.

Read the guide on 4chanx about regex

eh, best p2p programs? what do you use?

not torrent clients. I was complaining in another thread about not being able to find a torrent of something and another guy said "it's up on p2p". so.... what? FrostWire or something?

Attached: 1350088917930.jpg (640x480, 181K)

python is a good start, i'd recommend just fucking around with a bunch of languages to get the gist of things and see what you like best.

hes probably talking about soulseek

The sóybean was discovered by Jow Forums to be a possible estrogen agent in the body, causing the proliferation of the word "basedboy" to mean a physically unfit, womanly DYEL.
The word was immediately appropriated by the physically unfit DYELs on Jow Forums who overused what could have been fun new slang until the mods banned all mention of sóy and replaced them with "onions" cause onions are an aromatase inhibitor (and Jow Forums started encouraging people to eat onions to lower the effects of estrogen on the body)

What annoys me further is that sóy has no clinical correlation with increased estrogen which caused most of Jow Forums to stop scapegoating it, whereas Jow Forums dismissed that to be jewry.

eh? I have soulseek. we were talking about movies..

they have a good selection of movies there? not last I checked.. hmmm.

oh, in the case of movies, he may have been referencing "pass the popcorn" which is a private movie tracker

Just bought an nw-a45 walkman and it wont play any songs I got from yt-dl. Songs were downloaded as .m4a AAC. My other AAC songs work just fine and I hadn't a problem with the yt-dl songs until now, so help

Attached: Screenshot_5.png (563x427, 549K)

westonaprice.org/health-topics/onions-alert/onions-and-the-brain/

Attached: marvel fanboi.png (644x800, 15K)

ah, that place. too much work. thanks for the help!

How many contingent texture look ups can I reasonably expect a modern gpu to perform each frame while running at 120fps? By contingent I mean each look up value affects the location of the next lookup.

I've been studying full stack web development for about a year and a half in my own time. I've built things that range from basic front-end shit that interacts with external APIs to building simple ones myself that run SQLite queries to store information in a database. I'm familiar with ES6 JS/Babel/React/Python, and even C#, but to a pretty minimal extent, as well as Linux and hosting applications via systemd unit files. I have a portfolio site that I'm somewhat proud of, but even though I've worked very hard to get to this point, I'm very insecure about my lack of understanding of CS.

I managed to land a well paying tech job that's dev lite at best, but is honestly just a foot in the door/stepping stone to what I hope will be a legitimate development or SE position one day. I started working through CS50 and have been tinkering with C, and it's awesome, but I feel like I'm starting all over again at the most basic level. I'm willing to put in the time and effort, though, if this would be beneficial to my career long-term and heighten my chances of moving into a role that isn't just entry-level web dev work. I don't know why I'm posting this. I guess I'm just terrified that even though I've made it to this very superficial point that I don't really have what it takes to do the big boy stuff, and that I've wasted my time thus far.

Any advice, Jow Forums?

what command are you using to download?

My problem is less with sóy itself than it is with the DYEL niggers who use that as an insult even though they have a physical advantage over absolutely nobody. It's hypocrisy.

>not torrent clients
There literally nothing on obscure old p2p clients that isnt on a torrent site.

Is there an easy way to mute a speaker like this? I don't mind if I have to break it; I have no use for it.

I can provide better pics of the board if that helps.

Attached: spk.jpg (900x900, 290K)

youtube-dl -f 140 SONGLINK

Attached: Screenshot_6.png (787x20, 2K)

bump

Two main options: Desolder it (recommended), or pop the top off and remove the disk in it.

twist it till it pops

yes, the cable is single-link dvi-d, the gpu has a dual-link dvi-d port
it will work, but only in single-link mode (may limit what modes you can use)

Do you have ffmpeg installed? Does it give a message like '[ffmpeg] Correcting container in [file]'?

You can also use -x instead of specifying the format manually.

I'm a beginner to programming and been thinking of the progress of languages I want to learn: Python, Ruby, C, C++/C#

What else do you think I should learn or what order I should do it? I'm also interested in webdev, gamedev (would be a hobby), what do you recommend for each of those? I do plan to get at least an entry-level job if I get good enough.

i received an email from OCUK saying "Your order has been received".

I pushed the order through to the PayPal stage too see what to actual total would be and it was automatically rejected cause I don't have any money in that account.

The email has no indication that the order is unpayed for and is identical to any order confirmation I've recieved from them in the past. It even states that the payment method was debit/credit card (as opposed to PayPal)

Did I just get lucky? Anyone ever experience anything similar?

You need JS for any web stuff. But really just learn whatever language is most commonly used in the area you want to get into. Once you know 1 or 2 languages, picking up a new one if needed is pretty easy.

>Did I just get lucky?
No one is lucky when they defraud someone.

I installed this pajeetware program called "EaseUS MobiSaver for Android" on Windows and I'm trying to uninstall it but the uninstall wizard hangs when I try to use it. What do?

Is there a portable version of Java runtime so I can compile/run Java shit without actually installing it on my computer? With NodeJS/PHP I just use VScode and point it at the portable exe's for those interpreters, I'd like to do that with Java as well.

whats the difference between a directory and a folder?

Directory is the entire address leading to the folder

>tfw new gpus don't have dvi-a
thanks jews

I'm looking for a chair but I'm from [spoiler]Chile[/spoiler] and most chairs are generic and the branded ones are expensive as fuck. what should I avoid when looking for a generic chair? shit like the plastic bases, this low quality "leather", etc

Attached: 098.jpg (600x900, 33K)

my phone is acting weird about posting from clover or overchan, it usually gives an error in clover "handshake failed" or in overchan "https/ssl error"

I can post from mobile browser, I thought it might be something to do with DNS66 (ad blocker from f-droid so I disabled that entirely and it rebooted and it still gives the handshake / SSL errors

any idea?