We really like you, user

We really like you, user
One last step, can you pick up a marker and head over to the whiteboard? We have a technical challenge for you.

What questions were you asked to whiteboard?

Attached: IMG_0029.jpg (1600x907, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

leetcode.com/problems/longest-substring-without-repeating-characters/
nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/The Forest Kingdom
youtube.com/watch?v=6j9PTfDqbU4
youtube.com/watch?v=6j9PTfDqbU4'
linkedin.com/in/adam-jensen-hanzer-riseup/
youtube.com/watch?v=j4o2PDwKdcA&list=PLOCT__HwMYnSS8RHYMBydEoz9cDOtoqgt
linkedin.com/psettings/privacy
youtube.com/watch?v=y2x7VE2ApW8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP again, I just had this question asked:
leetcode.com/problems/longest-substring-without-repeating-characters/

Never did whiteboard programming, but did some microservice architecture design in an interview on a whiteboard. I think that's a good thing to do.

Are you devops/SRE?

I always get hard whiteboard crap

what a shit binary search

I whiteboard people hard questions for the luls

Explain Craig interpolation, Knaster-Tarski, forest automata and MIMO.

nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/The Forest Kingdom ?

what position where you interviewing for

Attached: 1448673824603.jpg (480x454, 38K)

bretty easy desu
although i fear my mind might blank out under pressure

I've never been whiteboarded since I'm an Electrical Engineer and people know if you're intelligent or not based on your experiences and how you describe them.

It's harder than it looks imo. I thought it was easy at first until I actually started writing it out.
And yeah, the pressure of 2 people sitting at a table watching didn't help the situation

Attached: 2016_0113_210756_001.jpg (2048x1536, 900K)

wtf is this nonsense

So, I'm doing science, and while programming is 95% of our work, obviously (or not) hiring in the sciences is quite different.

Do they really make you get up and do shit on a white/blackboard like at an undergrad university exam? Is this really how you find the most fitting candidate?

SWE here. I've had a LOT of interviews.
For us (in SF/SV) they make you do multiple coding challenges before they bring you onsite, and then when you're at their HQ they do at least 1 more coding challenge and/or a whiteboard session.

Idk how it'd be for your setup. What is the role you're going for called?

It looks like a whiteboard.

>I'm doing science
LOL

Well, whatever post-doc position is open usually is looking for a very specific set of skills. 5 or so will be invited (if even 5 apply), but their CV / publication record will already be 75% of the decision, another 20% is their reputation or recommendation from others in the community.

For more senior research positions, applicants have to lay out a plan where they want to go with the research group, show what international networks they have, and how they're going to push the institutes research output higher.

In any case - your technical skills are essentially implied through your publication record.

>your publication record
Techno-spooks don't publish.

Attached: charlie_don__t_surf_by_antibioradiohazard-d2wmabt.jpg (829x963, 144K)

Finite forest monoid. But FA is pretty common terminology for it in automata theory.
R&D engineer at a company that develops tools for formal verification. Those questions are trivial though, it's covered by an undergrad course on formal verification. Majority of interview was dedicated to talking about my academic work and what i want to work on.

wtf is a techno spook?

BS
I was asked to
>describe how inverter works and its application
>explain how PV system work
>design a PV system for small house (which I've never learned before since you actually need a competency certification but managed to bullshit my way)

Shit took more than 3 hours because the interviewers like to pull other people's legs but in the end of the day I got the job

i guessing he does defense work

They might have suspected that you are an immature imbecile and they were provoking you for verification...

> not doing it recursively

wew lad, what bunch a onions programmers

Cubicle minions have some utility but novelty generally comes from outside.

>people bitching about grinding whiteboard questions as the hardest part to get a 6 figure job right out of school

how much lower can the bar go

Attached: 1527951681497.png (368x657, 257K)

>memorizing algorithms

?

>formal verification.
Do you guys use PROMELA?

there are no techno spooks on Jow Forums

>not caring about efficiency and readability

^

just google them
why do you memorize it?

This thread is actually an example of a neo-cicada-3301 phishing/recruitment tactic.

>efficiency
>recursion

meanwhile in RealLife software development:

>be junior dev
>write ebin recursive algorithm
>put up first pr, unable to sleep due to excitement of how your elite cs skills will finally be acknowledged
>read first comment
>oh no no no no
>"remove recursion from this"
>other teammates add thumbs up emojis under the comment
>o-ok

(you are here)

Another world, another time, in the age of wonder - people valued memorization because it was needed.

>im doing science
are you 12?

>binary search
anyone else never know how to write the conditions?

>add 1 and divide by 2, or just divide by 2?
>does the check use

Will you settle down, brainlet?

Attached: fool.jpg (210x230, 9K)

We don't do much formal verication, we write tools for companies that do. Most of our tools are written in C++ and the little verified code there is, is written in Coq.

we had to use PROMELA here in our soft eng. course (Europe)

>What questions were you asked to whiteboard?
None. That said, the interviewers in companies in my region were all unprepared as fuck anyway.
It's like small - mid companies don't actually want to hire.

I am so glad we're no longer in that world.
In 2018, Googling things instead of memorizing them keeps our brains free to store with other things

then the crystal cracked?

youtube.com/watch?v=6j9PTfDqbU4

Yes, and being able to start a fire and hunt a deer were once prized abilities as well.

Being able to memorize algorithms doesn't tell you anything about someone's programming skills.

video unavailable

Attached: 1528678312193.png (851x846, 573K)

At some places a manager just walks around and gathers scientists, engineers, and technicians to conduct the technical part of the interview the day the candidate arrives. Needless to say, this is a very poor form of assessment with almost completely useless results.

A lot of people bullshit on their resumes about their tech stack and experience. In the past they'd be hired, only to be fired a few months later when they can't bullshit the company anymore.

It's happened so much over the years (especially in SF/SV) that strong vetting of a candidate is the norm.

Maybe this will work.
youtube-dl -f 18 --restrict-filenames --geo-bypass-country US youtube.com/watch?v=6j9PTfDqbU4

Sounds pretty accurate on how it felt.

>ERROR: The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

fuck this shit

Settle down, brainlet.

It's amusing that within popular culture, memorization is still sometimes equated to intelligence and understanding.

That's good, SPIN is still used extensively in the industry. On my uni (also yuropoor) we played with z3, SPIN and FramaC in undergrad formal verification course and then implemented SMT/SAT solver and a simple model checker with partial order reduction as projects in the grad formal verification course.
Uppsala university (especially Parosh Aziz Abdulla and his students) does a lot of cool research in formal verification. We're actually improving some of their research (also Tomas Vojnar from BUT) for our tool for verifying concurrent algorithms.

Yes, especially in (East) Asian countries.
Unsurprisingly, it churns out non-creative, poor programmers.

You have no idea.

where did all go wrong?

What country do you live in? Maybe this will help:
(with Tor Browser running)
youtube-dl --proxy socks5://127.0.0.1:9150/ -f 18 --restrict-filenames --geo-bypass-country US --user-agent "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0" 'youtube.com/watch?v=6j9PTfDqbU4'

Portugal

just forget it user

it was just a music video probably

I'm guessing when search engine tech got good

The tools and know-how to bypass these blocks is good tech to have in your toolkit.

they only made it available for US and Canada

the fuck

Attached: ss.png (1015x449, 48K)

its not memorizing idiot. Its knowing recursive logic and implementing it brainlet

The population increase and pervasive communication capability has overwhelmed Culture. Is that what you mean?

unironically still

You could route your connection through a US or CA exit node.

Quiet, mutt.

>fancy name
damn this guy is leet

You have no idea.

give us an idea

How is mutt an insult? On a long enough timeline, we'll all be mutts.

Yeah, sure. Why not? Come get some.
linkedin.com/in/adam-jensen-hanzer-riseup/

Attached: 2011-08-24-232915.jpg (352x288, 14K)

>12 connections

what happened there fella?

You are the only 10 i see

The social media value system isn't universal. Imagine that?
youtube.com/watch?v=j4o2PDwKdcA&list=PLOCT__HwMYnSS8RHYMBydEoz9cDOtoqgt

A "10" in what sense?

How would you achieve the second one? Best I can do is O(mxn)

Is this a ruse?
If you are logged into LinkedIn and view this profile, he can see your name visited his profile (if you didn't make your privacy settings strict.)

The setting is here: linkedin.com/psettings/privacy

Tennessee

>You are the only 10 i see
>Tennessee
youtube.com/watch?v=y2x7VE2ApW8

Attached: venture-66.jpg (251x190, 10K)

tell us more

sent ;)

LinkedIn is one social network you should actually care about, if you like employment options anyway

Think about how quad-tree works.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Attached: cds.gif (300x300, 33K)

I had to interview for my cyber security degree course.

the guy liked my answers so much that he lowered the requirements.

hope I don't have to do anything like this

When you gave your answers, were his balls in your mouth?

kek

Attached: 1225473326411.jpg (640x559, 23K)

fucking malloc

Attached: I-participated-in-the-afforementioned-action-to-accomplish-the-lulz.jpg (274x360, 20K)

A racist one.

BAZINGA!!!!!!

>Draw an inverter with mosfets.
>something something C something something pointers

It seems like it would produce better results if interviews were to focus on research, design, and development rather than recall.

>be me
>pitching software contract
>current 'in house tech support' asks me to fizzbuzz, thinking they are smart.
>look at them for a second, and drop the marker. Start gathering up my belongings.
>"Thank you for your time, ladies and gentlemen. I believe we are done here."
>Owner and partners confused. In house tech looking nervous. Owner speaks up. "Wha-- what's wrong?"
>"My apologies, sir. However, I can not in good conscience take my dealings with this company seriously when you have people in charge at this company that think they are going to trip me up with a high school level programming pop quiz based on something that has no actual real world application."
>MFW fizzbuzzlet's gambit backfired and he got fired.

What a happy fantasy.

Attached: KY.jpg (370x370, 17K)

it is a happy fantasy.
made me even happier when it actually happened.
Of course, the fact that you have been out of college for 5 years, and have already established yourself within your region as a no nonsense independent business person that gets shit done helps when you do shit like this.

Are you speaking about yourself in the second person?

Have a comic book

muh C code

int lengthOfLongestSubstring(char* s) {
char letters[256];
int max = 0;
int len = strlen(s);
for(int i = 0; i < len; i++)
{
memset(letters,0,256);
int current = 0;
for(int k = i; k < len; k++)
{