/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: shinji the businessman.png (640x480, 625K)

Other urls found in this thread:

n4ru.it/perks
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

X61t best pad.

x100e y/n?

Redpill me on x230t

>installing linux on a T440p can brick it
Lads, what the fuck.

Attached: mmmmm.jpg (497x380, 60K)

>t60p/t61p is more expensive than t420

P51 reporting in. Poor fags, you can bow now.

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Attached: 1509026110649.jpg (1747x1200, 228K)

well i'm not using my t440p as a server so i don't give a shit

Attached: 1514376702709.jpg (1280x1245, 125K)

Attached: 20180623_225338.jpg (4160x3120, 2.73M)

T480s here.

Attached: fetch.png (1058x615, 25K)

The absolute state of thickbads

I got an XPS 13. How un-/tpg/ is that of me?

hp is the largest meme
got issued an elitebook and they couldn't even properly design the navigation buttons for the "trackpoint"

I don't have a scroll button in the middle of the mouse buttons making the trackpoint pointless since I still have to use the trackpad. Really hard to believe this level of incompetence could be applied into product design. Even the Latitudes have a proper enterprise grade design. HP couldn't even copy a simple trackpoint interface correctly.

I need good laptop
moving somewhere and have to leave desktop behind
what get?
want 1080p videos and maybe a few older games

Thinkpad p71 with a p3000 gpu

Sup internet people
I’m looking for a thinkpad that can run Minecraft

I’d personally hope to get a $50 one but I guess I can go as high as $100.

Thanks

Attached: 82B1F716-7801-4E1A-90CA-308823740715.png (640x1136, 1.37M)

Where my Latidudes at

Attached: 1111__28484.1495553559.jpg (800x636, 26K)

I don’t think that laptop can run Minecraft but thanks for the advice

Big up all the latitude mandem

Attached: 1503182396486.png (1440x900, 1.41M)

Can you answer my questions thanks

Latithicc

Attached: dell e6420 xfr_g7.jpg (775x500, 165K)

where is the puss

I think this looks cool but I don’t think I can carry it to play Minecraft on the go

What are you talking about
What puss

Update the BIOS you fucking niggers

Yes, this was a problem when the Tx40p was first released. Yes, it is fucking inexcusable that it was even allowed to happen. And yes, the problem is now solved and it's a complete non-issue.

t430 only integrated gpu for maximum battery power = master race

What are you guys talking about. Want to know about a cheap laptop to play Minecraft on the go can you help

I’ll check the t430
Does it have a nice ram to run Minecraft alright?

I'm just memeing, gentlesire. I'm ackshually in the market for a t440p right now, and will be installing the distro of all patrician gentlemen--ubuntu.

How do you reply to specific posts? Thanks and yeah. But I was told to ask here for cheap laptops and gold prices

I want to have fun this summer but my sister broke my Xbox so I need a new thunk pad

Ok is the t1440 any good for games

>A nice ram

>T440p sold since late 2014
>installing luddnix may brick ur chinkpad
Wouldn't this have been on the radar and well known by now. If referring to UEFI config issue, pretty sure specific to T540p.

When I first went off to university in 2009, the company that my dad worked for at the time had some pretty sweet discounts on Lenovo and Dell equipment. I had a choice between the E6500 and the T500. I opted for the Dell since it was cheaper with dedicated graphics. Kind of ended up regretting it, partially since Lenovo offered a 1650x1050 screen on their 15.4" offerings, but Dell only had a 1440x900 one. The trackpoint was also awful compared to the Thinkpads. Still, all in all, it was a good laptop, lasted me through undergrad and masters until I replaced it with a W530 in 2016. If modern Latitudes are at all the same I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

I don’t know a lot about computer but I was told more rams will make the computer and games faster. Also that I need a big hhd to open files faster

Can it open Minecraft?

stop shitting up my thread nerd

Attached: ui is upset.jpg (616x616, 90K)

>and gold prices
You're in luck friendo, gold emerging from a rare dip and can be had for twelve-seventy if you act swiftly.
>want to have fun this summer
Your ebil sis did you a solid. Get that fat ass out into the sun and find you some tang. Once you get a tasted of that strange, you'll be like xbo-wat? Between the Betties and the extended shower times, you won't have room for any other hobbies.

Sorry I
New to this
Forum please don’t get mad at me

Okay I’ll try and get my sister kick out of the house hopefully she will get me a new Xbox haha xD

ThinkPad corporate perks discount tracking website:

n4ru.it/perks

Attached: tpperks.png (549x434, 31K)

Can I have a website for Walmart think pad discounts thanks

The best thinkpad deals are at radio shack

What is radio shark
It’s like a video game store

No you’re thinking of walgreens

You mean wAlmart

he is probably Rakesh from /wt/

don't worry about it, just use 4chanx's filters

My name is Matt

This thread is cancer. I bet none of you actually own a t40.

I just want to know what computer laptop can running mindlecraft

> having lolis on the desktop

>not having lolis on your desktop

So when I press down on my thinkclit, my x220 shuts off and then reboots.

Is this a feature?

Attached: 28fj3w.jpg (633x758, 54K)

Just reply my question morons

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1528339143524.jpg (1280x1280, 680K)

> not having a loli on top of your desk

Please?

>have x220
>decide to try egpu setup
>get Exp Gdc Beast v8.5
>pair it with old r7 260x
>finally able to play hots and other games and use my thinkpad as a desktop
>get random 1-3 sec black screens on both external monitors from time to time

I tried solving this problem putting ferrite beads but it did not work. I have to say tho that the psu i'm currently using is like 5 years old and is not certified. Could i fix this if i buy a certified psu?

Attached: my setup.jpg (1597x952, 88K)

next level poster here

Stop bullying my GF please. She's having dinner with me at my place tonight

ITS COMING HOME

X1 carbon is as light as it goes I believe but doesn't come without some compromises, look up specific gen for more details. Latest X1C6 comes at 1.1kg and it's a pretty good machine imo, avoid if you plan to use linux on it though.

Lies

X220 you dumb nigger

x230 with x220 keyboard

>tfw no loli on my desk's top

Attached: 1500512572093.gif (498x358, 531K)

I solved the problem!

So the metal sensor for the thinkclit was making contact with the motherboard when I pressed down on the keyboard.
I just put a piece of paper over the point of contact and that fixed it.
Insulation tape would probably work better though.

Attached: 53f.jpg (196x250, 7K)

twin waterfalls of tears

>>get random 1-3 sec black screens on both external monitors from time to time
Do you have 16GB of RAM installed? If so, try going down to 8 and see if that fixes it.

Jesus Christ, user
Why not just go full nude at that point? ENF loli will get you weird looks and kicked out of the library/possibly jailed whether there's nipples showing or not.

Anyone using this?
Is it nice?

Attached: lenovo_0a36407_thinkpad_bluetooth_laser_mouse_1374607.jpg (2000x2000, 190K)

I actually have 2x2GB

X201 and up will do just fine on low settings, but you're better off getting a use Chromebook honestly. Now GTFO.

Just play on your smartphone you massive faggot
Do you really need all the extra bits and bobs of the PC version at a bus terminal or in a hotel? Get help

He spent at least two grand on headphones. I don't think he gets out much.

I love mine.

kek, I had the same issue as you at one point. lemme guess, you dove in to clean the insides and check connectors and made the noob mistake of removing the black protective tape on the mobo, or the previous owner did it for you? I used duct tape for my fix, it's still going after 3 months.

You're probably right. I guess he could always just use a panic script that boots into i3 or something for unexpected encounters.

>or the previous owner did it for you?
Yeah it was probably that, the top of my mobo looks like this.
None of the black insulation.

Attached: brJM3.jpg (1024x576, 313K)

I don’t have a phone.

My older sister won’t share his phone with me because she thinks imma loser and want to steal her nudes

Become a cam girl (male) to save money and buy a phone

what's that thing for anyway? my t520 also has it

recently got an edge e351 worth anything? what can i do with it?

what is the newest thinkpad model that is actually worth buying or should i stick with the old ones? I dont care about libreboot but i will be running gnu/linux on it
Im thinking of getting a brand new x1 carbon they seems nice

Why do you guys hate the X1 Carbon? Ordered the 6th gen at a discount. My other options were a Macbook Pro 13" or an XPS 13 and both seemed significantly less reliable.

Does the X1C have lower testing standards than the T series?

Just bought a T460, with I5 6200u 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD for $450, did I get a good deal? I'll be swapping the HDD for a SSD

Jow Forums my battery on my t430 is almost dead. It only last 40 minutes in its best. I don't have enough money to buy a genuine battery. What do I have to keep in mind if I want to buy a chink battery? or is it better to buy it genuine?

Attached: 1528504497774.jpg (1280x720, 139K)

The t430 blocks you from using third party batteries unless you flash the EC to remove the limitation.

Battery wear? less than

Genuine will be guaranteed to hold a charge, some ChinkPad batteries are ok but most aren't. Definitely worth the extra money for a real one

Only 5% wear so basically new cells, and I'm not sure the screen, it's 1080p and matte

I had that in mind. If someone did it before, I would like to know if is a difficult. Also, I know there is information and tutorials for that. The things is, if is a good choice to consider chinks batterys in this, because I don't have so much money to expend but I really need it

speaking of batteries, i have a t430 as well and lasts me about 3-5 hours depending on what i do with linux and battery tweaking. Is this a good?
acpi: design:3961mah, last full capacity 4429mah

I think is a good buy user, put an SSD on it and you're ready to go

the poor man pays twice, get the lenovo

it's piss easy dude

clone the github directory.
git clone github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
cd thinkpad-ec
make patch_disable_keyboard clean
make patch_enable_battery clean
make list_laptops
make patched.t430.img
then just make a bootable usb drive with the image

Trying to replace my T430s keyboard with a classic one. Does anyone know whether the contact pins that need to be isolated are the same as with the T430? Can't find anywhere online verifying whether this is or isn't the case.