DOS memory

I have a P1 computer with Win 3.1/DOS5 on it, with 32MB of ram. how the fuck can I use emm386 to free up just 1mb? Right now its only giving me 256k. I tried editing config.sys with all the usual setting but it wont use my RAM beyond the usual xxKB that dos allocates
>inb4 use virtual boxes or dosbox

Attached: IMG_9555.png (640x960, 1.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6cvu9522Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are you looking for more conventional memory, extended memory, or expanded memory? And which one is the 256k?

I think conventional is okay. I'm looking for more EMS, which is reported at 256k right now but I would like to get to at least 1024. i tried using the monochrome block (b000), putting devices and load into HIGH, but its not working. I feel like this could be a simple fix.

Attached: IMG_0532.jpg (2448x3264, 3.61M)

Is it not working or are you just going by what is reported and you're assuming it won't work? EMM386 should dynamically assign EMS.

It should yes however one game in particular is reporting low numbers. Emm386 itself also reports 256k or less

Attached: IMG_0533.jpg (3264x1776, 1.26M)

Is there a reason you're not loadhigh'ing your soud drivers?

setver can be loaded high too, i think.

Why not run NetBSD or Arch?

Devicehigh smartdrive and your audio driver. You probably don't need double buffer.

Also you can't actually devicehigh EMM386. That isn't going to effect anything, though.

Try
Device=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE MIN=2048 HIGHSCAN

Also add SWITCHES=/F to your config.sys to bypass the 2 second delay on starting MS-DOS.

It would have to come after HIMEM and EMM386 to do so.
It probably isn't needed at all.

why not run DOS while you're at it

Makes sense, I had to read to only HIGH items like cdrom, mouse, memory, etc. but I will high the sound and other things to see what it could do.
so remove SETVER? It was included when I installed dos5 so i left it but I will remove it if it isnt needed.

Yup, good thing his cdrom installer knew to put the cdrom driver in high, heh.

Why do you want expanded memory and not extended memory?

because NetBSD might have an easier time running and could operate modern and useful software?

His games need it.

Maybe freedos can do a better job?

You should be closer to 600k conventional free. You need to use UMBs.

Also the order of the lines in the configs decides the order things load. You MUST load himem.sys before emm386.

You make no sense. Is it detecting 256k over the 640k right now? Do you want the UMB area or do you want EMS?

EMM386.EXE NOEMS
That will give you all the UMB it can detect.

It's amazing seeing people suffer over DOS memory management. (I've been there.)
Actually it's really simple.

I REMEMBER HOYLE! IS THAT THE CARD GAME? :')

because Interplay decided EMS was needed for their games.

Im a dummy but can UMB and ems not work together? I'm under the impression I need the UMB line and not disable EMS

This is only EMM386 from DOS5, i think the only switches I have are On|off|auto and something about a weitek coprocessor. I think the DOS6 emm386 gives you more options like youre suggesting

Yes it is, still fun to play for a quickie
youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6cvu9522Q

And just to keep things updated here is where the setting stand now, config.sys and autoexec if it even matters to the memory

Attached: IMG_0535.jpg (2448x3264, 3.3M)

Attached: IMG_0536.jpg (2448x3264, 3.5M)

LH your SB16 programs.

Will do.

Also general dummy question, Dos will NOT load without a boot disk inserted, even with Windows Installed. The disk has config and autoexec on it, but there's also a copy at C:\
The autoexec on A: points to the file on C: but does Dos even load the config.sys at C? I keep editing both just in case.

just use memmaker if you’re too retarded to figure it out yourself

> The autoexec on A: points to the file on C:
if it says C:\whatever then it will load it from C:
if it says A:\whatever then it loads it from A
if it doesn't specify a path, it runs it from the drive it's booting from by default, then will search in the PATH variable, in the order of the directories listed

>but does Dos even load the config.sys at C?
it loads config.sys from the drive it's booting from

>Dos will NOT load without a boot disk inserted
you mean C drive's dos? did you sys the C drive properly? or did you insert a line in autoexec.bat that automatically starts windows so you never see the DOS prompt?

Try an EMM386.EXE /? from the command line to get the switches.

ok lets see if I can figure this out:
If I boot without the disk it gives me a non-system disk error
if I load into win31 remove the disk and exit to dos it will give me errors.
I did a clean install of DOS5 first followed by Win31 after letting it edit the config and autoexec as needed

The autoexec on the disk simply says echo off $p$g then points to C:\autoexec
The config.sys on the disk doesnt point to C:\config.sys though

like i said here this is early emm386 with only on/off/auto as switches.

and according to MEM I have 32MB of available XMS memory that isnt being used, but I dont know how to activate it or how it could help me

If you have HIMEM.SYS loaded it's all automatic.
You probably do, else MEM would not even show it.

What DOS version? Why do you need EMS? Use himem.sys for XMS and emm386 for UMB. Programs that require EMS will automatically be redirected to XMS. The EMS switch was only useful on early versions.
So all you need is "emm386.exe noems" and "himem.sys /testmem:off", this will give you all you'd need.

>Also general dummy question, Dos will NOT load without a boot disk inserted, even with Windows Installed.
sys c: (from a DOS installation folder if sys.com is NOT on the floppy, i.e. c:\dos then) afterwards remove disk from A:

Right that makes sense
This is DOS5. I need EMS because a few games require it. I thought this would be an easy fix but clearly not. Looks like I should've just installed DOS 6.22 instead
will try it thanks

Attached: IMG_0537 (Edited).jpg (2658x2448, 1.61M)

so i did sys A: C: which said it sucessfully transferred system, but when i restart the computer with no floppy I still get NONSYSTEM DISK ERROR

So to summarize the situation so far
>DOS 5.0 installed first
>Win31 installed next
>has 32mb RAM
>using HIMEM and EMM386 in config
>XMS reports 32MB available
>EMS reporting 256kb available
>loading everthing into deviceHIGH or driverHIGH doesnt do anything useful
> I need just 1MB of EMS for games.

>floppies
>2018
Goteks are your friend.

device=emm386.exe 2048 ram

well shit that worked. I swear I tried that a long time a go and nothing happened. thanks friend
now if I could just get my conventional memory up from 525k to 560k thanks for the thread guys

Why not FreeDOS?

>I swear I tried that a long time a go and nothing happened
Yeah I just saw that in one guys post but he used advanced switches that I don't think were in 5.0.
>now if I could just get my conventional memory up from 525k to 560k
post up a mem /c | more

Alright here's what we got

Attached: IMG_0538.jpg (2446x2497, 1.14M)

your sounddriver, mouse and cdrom drivers are still being loaded in conventional memory. are you sure you're using loadhighs and lh in your config.sys and autoexec.bat?

Despite all clames there are (edge case) compatibility issues with it.
That said, if you don't run in to issues with your software then yeah, FreeDOS is a better solution.

Something to also consider as an alternative to MS-DOS 5.0/6.22 is China Dos Union. It is a modded version of DOS 7.1 from Windows 95 OSR2, so it gets you FAT32 compatibility plus a bunch of other things.
I use China Dos Union on my 486, lets me use a 8GB CF card for my storage and FAT32 with Win 3.11. Its really nice.

I thought I was. Is the syntax wrong?

Attached: IMG_0539.jpg (2446x3006, 2.53M)

Instal Linux on it.

Thanks for the info.

looks good
make your emm386 look like this:

device=emm386.exe 2048 ram I=B000-B7FF

awesome that helped. got it up to 565kb free which is passable

Install FreeDOS.