Linux Distro?

Want to take the plunge to loonix, which distro should I get?

Xubuntu, elementary, Fedora?

Attached: shot_desktop-1024x819-2-1024x819.png (1024x819, 215K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180612.iso
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install Gentoo

I use xubuntu and it's quite comfy. I used to run arch linux but then I realized it's just a huge extra hassle for nothing, having to install basic shit for a functioning system manually instead of just having it installed automatically.

I want to go for xubuntu but I had trouble figuring out how to hibernate on lid close on my laptop.

And also I heard some anons talking about xubuntu going to shit lately.

Has anyone here tried xfce on Fedora?

Install OpenSUSE.

It has btrfs by default, snapshots, rolling release, better KDE integration than Neon and community repositories.

I run xubuntu on my laptop, and I'm pretty sure it does hibernate upon lid close. As for anons complaining here, there isn't a single thing that isn't complained about on this board. I can't tell you much about Fedora, however I've run xfce on arch. It's pretty much the exact same experience, except xubuntu is more convenient.

And I would be interested in hearing about some of these complaints regarding xubuntu. I have very simple use cases, maybe these anons do something more involved that xubuntu can't fully accommodate.

1. Tails (obvious choice, especially in a post-Snowden era).

2. Arch (great, clean, customizable)

All other are below those, except for those very specific ones such as Kali for pentest.

Arch is just Gentoo with training wheels.

hownew.ru

Gentoo is just LFS with training wheels.

linux is not an OS for day to day normal stuffs. It is for dedicated use. Don't cry and shitpost here if it doesn't work like you wanted it to.

>linux is not an OS for day to day normal stuffs
? I've used linux for normal stuff for several years.

Kubuntu 18.04

>xubuntu
xfce is old and dead
>elementary
too early, not many features, but just works
>fedora
good, lots of de choices that are maintained too

If youre new tho, go with ubuntu or mint

>loonix
ganuu/linux

Xubuntu is pretty good, but I'd recommend going with OpenSUSE, since it has GUI pretty much for everything, starting from GRUB ending with Squid proxy server
Mein nigger.
> better KDE integration than Neon and community repositories.

I'm using MX linux on my dell latitude. Basically just a preconfigured debian with xfce and has some decent tools. Also no systemd. Looks good oob with mx conky. I'd recommend

>hownew.ru
2 days posting on this board

How so?

I don't really want to spend a lot of time configuring my system, so arch is a no go for me.

hibernation was my main issue the last time I installed it. I'm gonna give it a try again.

With gentoo you have to manually tune your kernel and compile everything yourself. Don't torture yourself with it just get a normie distro

fpbp

Attached: 1501626932186.png (615x615, 98K)

like what

Btw if you separate /home and / partitions you can easily switch distros and keep /home the same if you don't like the distro you install. .config, .mozilla, etc. will be carried over keeping all your settings. Manual partitioning isn't hard at all

How anyone can recommend Ubuntu over Debian testing is beyond me.

Manually configuring your entire kernel isn't necessary. I had to compile in a few extra settings to get the bluetooth on my wifi/bluetooth combo thing and my touchscreen working, but genkernel pretty much covers all the bases just fine. I'll go back and learn how to do it properly when I'm confident I won't fuck it up.

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180612.iso

Attached: 2018-06-25-001130_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.81M)

For some reason, I love that desktop. Simple, looks nice, light colored. Reminds me of like a old Mac OS X x Windows XP look

I think you need some scaling.

Fedora with XFCE is a good choice.

>ubuntu with gnome DE
I was waiting for it to happen a long time ago
And ended buying a macbook pro

linux was out of the box bad, you just had to top it with gunk.

I recommend Antergos. It's an installer for Arch, basically Arch that just werks out of the box

so why use an OS that has limited support and optimization. Why not use one that has forward compatibility, and less walking over ones self.

I use it for day to day things, probably works cause i'm not a gaymer.

PedoWeeaboo detected.

Use Debian or Manjaro

Fedora XFCE Spin is the version to get.

look at the fucking sticky. try all of them

Solus or openSUSE
Of the three you listed:
elementary > Fedora > Xubuntu

It hibernates but you need the proper drivers. This applies to all distros.

>7680x4320
>Jurassic processor
>RAMlet

Is this bait?

shitposting and watching anime is not day to day use. Linux has problem with office suits, reliable a/v editing softwares and low quality support communities. It is no way ready for day to day use for an average office joe. Who are like 90% of regular computer users.

LOL, i'm not a weeb, don't conflate your life with mine NEET.

so then what does a regular user do while he waits for ram to clear out. I do you get some cheap low speed ram like a weeb? or do you comb through emulators all day for one you approve of.

Yea, so basicly you push through your redistros until you have the most streamlined end user experience possible, if it's overly bloated then it's the company's responsibility to fix it.

>Fedora
Yes.

Fedora is reasonably up to date and reasonably stable. Also easy to install. I'd say it's a good beginner's distro if it weren't for the fact that that most guides for "Linux" were made for Ubuntu. While most guides are interchangeable among distros, you need to be a bit careful when interpreting them.

Kubuntu

One of the Ubuntus. Or if you're a bit more daring, Debian. I would not reccommend SUSE, Gentoo, etc etc because you're a noob. I personally reccomend Lubuntu, because it's the fastest Ubuntu flavor. Have fun!

>linux has a problem with office suits
good thing i'm not shackled to an office then huh wagie

MXlinux

/thread

macOs

>Lubuntu
/thread

+ Arc and maybe breeze

I'm a noob with Linux, so I'm using Ubuntu. Great for daily use and very easy to use. Wish it has better UI scaling though. Since I'm using my TV as a monitor.

From my experience, Fedora is a playing ground for RedHat developers with various edgy technologies such as an Anaconda DBus API and edgy choices like "fuck MPD, our audio technology (Pulseaudio) will prevail :

can you stop shilling Jow Forums's horrible distro please? It's everything wrong with nu-Jow Forums

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1529929947730.jpg (1395x1395, 137K)

Trackpoint sucks on ganoo loonix though
There are other small issues too, chinkpads don't guarantee compatibility.

they are all literally the same debian fork

why not just go straight to the source and install debian

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

T60 and no problem.

Attached: 1506812265592.png (1024x768, 156K)

Just install windows or MacOS.

why is every DE ugly like pic related?
To this day, i havent found any envinronment i genuinly like and im too brainlet to design it myself

Freetards can't into design

This
Or Neon

Kubuntu 18.04

I used to be a KDE hater, but it's so very polished now. It's just easy af to work with.

Arch is the obvious choice for a Jow Forumsentleman

mint cinnamon

No, you're everything wrong with "nu-Jow Forums".

Attached: asian_gangsta_dancing_with_boombox.gif (491x704, 3.22M)

Why would you choose xfce instead of the vastly superior KDE?

GuixSD

Arch if you like bleeding edge updates, and have experience inputing terminal commands. (Alternatives are Antergos and Manjaro)
Debian if you like stability and easy configurations.

can someone post that bakuon webm where they argue about which distro to install?

Attached: 1527417500881.png (2880x1620, 3.85M)

If you aren't a complete noob to computer science, go with Arch. I run it in a VM with Virtualbox. It's nice to be able to save snapshots in case I fuck anything up. Also skip the bloat and go with dwm. It's a hell of a lot of fun to customjze and make it your own.

This is bait but I'll respond anyway
>office
I may be in the minority, but libreoffice has always been very stable for me. If you don't mind the botnet, google office is very good as well.
>a/v
haven't needed it for everyday use
>support communities
maybe they're bad if you're running some obscure hipster distro, but ubuntu and arch both have great documentation and active communities.

Only get windows if you need to destroy your brain with video games like this gentleman obviously has.

xubuntunity is the best

Attached: scrot-20180625-2154.jpg (1680x1050, 451K)

I'm really feeling like trying windows again. I use a chinkpad and over 2 years of arch I feel like I could get something better out of w10 (never gave it a proper try when I bought the machine).
Just need a new ssd for that.

>genkernel pretty much covers all the bases just fine.
Genkernel doesn't configure shit by default though
Not that it matters, kernel configuration is piss easy if you don't go the full retard "muh minimalism" route

Right, who needs sane defaults?

puru pururin

W10 has gotten really fucking bad. So much so that I reverted to GNU/Linux after pledging to never go back to it and dual booting with W8.1 only for the occasional Windows-dependent task. If you need the app store use W8.1, otherwise W7.

Install OpenBSD

I would try it if it did TRIM and TLP-like hardware support and power management.

First distro?
Mint
Gets your feet wet without being too lost

Manjaro w/ Xfce is just amazing dude!

Attached: neofetch-2018-06-25-10-51-05-3391.png (1920x1080, 2.17M)

I want w10 for the desktop features mostly.
Especially that window overview which I use very often on gnome.
Also hoping I can get a 60fps dssktop and no trackpoint jitter.

I'm using Ubuntu Mate

>xfce is old and dead

love this meme

why did you go out of your way to make it ugly tho. manjaro is probably the most aesthetic ootb distro

horrible

BionicDog

>muuh gentoo
Grow up, manchild.

OP, install Crux!

Attached: 5265779797_ddb4a164a3_b.jpg (723x1024, 149K)

korora
back to /b/ log fag

opensuse is the only sane choice (if you're not african american).

do it user, you won't regret it. Windows 10 has changed a lot since it initially came out. Ofc with more botnet. But it just works. Literally.

Don't fall for this shitty meme, just get Ubuntu

I started dual booting windows 10 & ubuntu mate recently, been pretty comfy.

Used to run Mate, but it felt bloated so I moved on to KDE Neon and it was all good until I tried to uninstall VLC and the command unistalled a bunch of other necessary packages. Tried to fix it, but it wouldn't boot and the packages wouldn't download and the respositories wouldn't register. Plasma desktop wouldn't reinstall it was a mess. Installed Manjaro KDE and it's pretty cool so far.

Contrarian, you're still a winfag.

Any issues with sound?