*blocks your power strip*

why do they keep making these?
why the fuck is this still allowed?

this is the tech equivalent of a fat guy taking up two airplane seats, and it makes the power board tip to one side

haven't those factories in china gotten the message yet? these adaptors SUCK

Attached: 12vac_power_adapter.jpg (551x392, 27K)

>why do they keep making these?
because that saves like 50 cents and it doesn't actually cost them any sales. If you want to change it, take a page from the SJWs book and get a twitter army to all start complaining at some corporation at once about their wall-wart power bricks. Negative PR is the only reason companies using these things have to give half a shit about it.

>His strip doesn't have ample space between prongs that face to the left and right sides sides instead of up or down
Get with it grandpa

Attached: laughingwhores.jpg (446x400, 82K)

I thought you were my twitter army

also I cant tweet, I got banned for trolling
what do?

>Using twitter even just to troll

ours are side to side, and when you plug one of these fatties in, it takes up 3 spots cause you can't squeeze anything next to it, 2 if you use the first/last plugs

The really big ones simply have a transformer and usually a discrete diode bridge rectifier, surprisingly the filter capacitor is apparently optional, I opened one without one once so maybe it didn't make a difference if the DC was clean or pulsed. This is a linear power supply and it requires a large transformer because the mains frequency is so low.

The small power bricks use switching converters, usually flyback. They can use much smaller transformers since they switch at high frequency (30kHz to 1MHz). They have more components but most of the stuff these days is SMD so you can make the boards pretty small. Usually requires 1x 6 or 8-pin PWM controller IC, 1x timing capacitor, a bridge rectifier on the input as well as a filter cap, an output capacitor, the transformer, transistor for the actual switching, an ultrafast or Schottky diode on the output, and then just some resistors or an optocoupler with TL431 or zener diode for feedback.

cool to know, I always wondered how they made those new adaptors so small and lite

It's worth noting that for most applications switching converters are probably actually cheaper. Sure they use more components but most of the components are fairly cheap, especially in bulk. Plus you can get pretty minimalist with some of the designs if you're willing to put some engineering into it and there are PWM ICs specifically designed with low external component count in mind.

On the other hand bulky 60Hz mains transformers for linear supplies are usually expensive, relatively speaking, and there is no real way to reduce the size of it. It's always gonna require a large transformer.

the problem is you're introducing very high frequency which needs multiple different sized capacitors to filter out.
you wont find them in chinese plugs, so you probably shouldn't use them on equipment you want to last long

High frequency noise isn't gonna reduce the lifespan of anything. Blatantly wrong. First of all any noise will be down in the millivolt range unless you got an absolute garbage tier power brick. Secondly nearly ever electronic device that uses that power brick will have local voltage regulation inside it as well as decoupling capacitors/common mode chokes that will remove any high frequency noise coming from the charger anyway. It will have absolutely zero effect on the lifespan of any electronics.

>twitter

>no one has made the equivalent of pic related to fix exactly that problem
feels bad man

Attached: 3.5mm extension.jpg (1000x1000, 50K)

you could also make one yourself.

Attached: ec-6.jpg (800x600, 123K)

i'll probably get a bunch of these

It already exists. It's called an extension cord.

If I never thought of this before does that mean I'm retarded?

>ripple current on batteries has no effect
>duty cycle reduction of dc/dc converters is a myth
plz

where's the cheapest place to buy these?? been looking at chinkshit sites but can't find them.

>ripple current on batteries
Any charger that has any likelihood of being used to charger a battery should have proper filtering to minimize ripple. Your cell phone and laptop chargers that come with the product should have no issues with this and even aftermarket chargers will usually be fine so long as you don't get the $0.99 ones of aliexpress. You'll kill your battery due to simply cycling it a lot long before ripple kills it.

>duty cycle reduction of dc/dc converters is a myth
It does appear to be a myth because I can't find any reference to it online. Maybe it was a problem back in the early 80s but switched mode power supplies have come a long way and are a lot better than they used to be now.

The only places you really want to avoid SMPS are in test and measurement equipment and RF. Switched mode power supplies power nearly all consumer electronics, most battery chargers, and even your PC (how do you think your 80+ Platinum Seasonic PSU gets such high efficiency?)

I picked up a 10 pack on Amazon for 9 bucks a few days ago.