I'm almost done with "Masters of Doom" and

man, Carmack is a work machine. A sociopath, sure, but I reckon ID was all him.
While Romero is still living in the past, Carmack is working like he worked 20 years ago, trying to fulfill his dream of VR. You can't not respect that.

Great book, although poignant at times.

Attached: id.jpg (1737x1152, 340K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamesn.com/john-carmack-googled-how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Camack appreciation thread?

I was working on a doom mod last year, and I really liked the original Doom engine.

The code is full of funny hacks they did to make the thing work, looks like it was written by smart kid that barely knew how to program.

There are cute things about it, like how they called "Things" the game entities.

Yep, awesome times. Read the book long ago.

you're about 15 years behind

Carmack stole Zenimax's code because he is no longer the genius he pretends to be.
>how to wipe a hard drive
LOL what a fucking genius
pcgamesn.com/john-carmack-googled-how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive

carmack to me has the quintessential phrenology of an 80s kid

its the head, jaw position, glasses, haircut and speech that somehow makes him look like that kid from stuart little

but EVERY kid born back then looked like him
so strange

Attached: 1529632141793.jpg (2169x1794, 1.17M)

the 90s IT aesthetic is GOAT

not just that photo, the era. the computers. the software. the names. the sounds. the offices. the buildings. everything

more like john bicyclemack

You can argue about him being a retard for not knowing how to wipe a hard drive. It was his code that he wrote while working at id software under the umbrella of Zenimax. He stole from his own genius.

Wouldn't be uncommon, been working on an MMO from early 2000s and from reverse engineering they called all base entities Things as well.

Why should one remeber how to wipe a hard drive?

Most people don't know how to *securely* wipe a hard drive, it's not something you commonly do unless you're working on something related.

so ur walkin w/ ur waifu thru the server room and the logs tell you a employe is checkin how delete hard drive

wat do/?

Attached: 1529550874709.jpg (1116x1011, 116K)

Give him a bonus so he can irrecoverably destroy it and get himself a new one.

>absolutely certain
Should never be said by a forensics expert in their testimony

Most programmers I know cant do basic IT shit, thats why we IT guys exist. That said, he doesnt knowing how to erase a drive doesnt make him a retard, googling form within the company while using their network THAT is retarded.

Playing some devils advocate, when you work in software dev, most of the contracts say that whatever you come with while you are contracted by a company, belongs to the company. He should not had signed a contract he didnt agreed with.

make sure its logged, record his PC through whatever software is installed, and wait for him to actually do it. then sue for millions and forclose on his home like a boss

>>Playing some devils advocate, when you work in software dev, most of the contracts say that whatever you come with while you are contracted by a company, belongs to the company. He should not had signed a contract he didnt agreed with.
The ethics of what he did is irrelevant. The assertion above is that Carmack isn't smart because he stole code; the implication being that he stole code somebody else wrote and is passing their genius off as his own. But that's not what happened. He stole code that he wrote. To think that proves he isn't a good coder really just proves your brain is smoother than an infant's ass.

You should remember specifically how *not* to do it if you ever use dd.

>all those implications
wew lad.
It does not matter who write the code he stole, most contracts state that every fucking idea and/or line of code you or anyone on a team or any other coder in the company, belongs to the company.
I never said that he was not a good coder, but we can only make conjectures about his behaviour without knowing the contents of the contract. Some contracts reclaim code, while other reclaim code and pseudocode (the idea behind the code). If he was under the latter, hes fucked, if he was under the former he can claim that the pseudocode, his ideas that is, are his own.
Again, it doesnt matter who wrote the code, if he took away with zenimax's code, then he stealed from zenimax, the owner of the code, by contract .
Im saying this because I know some programmers, they are fucked, specially in the US as they dont even have a union, so most of the time they have to defend themselves against companies with full legal teams.

Again, the ethics of what he did are irrelevant to the discussion:

>Carmack stole Zenimax's code because he is no longer the genius he pretends to be.

HI WOOWIE

>You can't not respect that.
Double negatives makes my head hurt

No shit, Carmack was a great engineer but Romero is the one who really was good with game design and knew what to do to entertain people (that's why they stopped making good games after he left). None of them did anything that good without the other (Oculus advanced so slowly HTC Vive could surpass it in everything), and I think it was the combination of both of them which made stuff like Doom possible. Great technical mind + great creative mind.

At one on my previous jobs I did consulting work for a company that had been gradually run into the ground by this asshole that inherited it from his Dad. They had downsized from over 200 hundred employees to less than 20. Their office furniture hadn't been updated since the 90s and they had rows of cubes no longer being used anymore with old 90's Dells in them (in 2014). It was a surreal place to visit and I kinda regret never taking any pictures. The owner sold the land it was on because it was near a shopping mall (and worth some money) and there's a restaurant there now.

how old were they on the pic?

It's no different from the professors of whatever discipline, even cs, not knowing how to operate the hardware at university. It's just not their niche. And often it's the case that the profs use linux or osx on their personal devices and only use windows at work so naturally not fully fluent in tasks outside of what's done on an average day. I, for example, would have to google how to wipe a drive on macos even though I can trivially do it on linux.

Carmack is an idiot savant?

IS THIS THE POWER OF S O Y ?

Attached: da888767-4ea0-4395-aac1-46e13dc60fc3.png (165x183, 43K)

how hard would it be for him to smuggle the harddrive out of his computer and destroy it. I guess maybe they could get him on cameras or check serial numbers or some thing but I doubt the IT guy was that diligent.

EXPOSED

This

That's not common knowledge nigger, and wiping a harddrive is different from formatting.

It takes hours of overwriting potentially hundreds of gigabytes worth data.

Nobody ever considered him a genius except stupid gamers.