C++ vs. Java

My school only has 2 options for their CS classes: Java and C++. Which program should I take?
The only previous experience I have is with Python.

Attached: cppvsjava.jpg (1455x900, 164K)

If you want a job, java.
If you want a job but are also mentally crooked, c++.

C++

Java is the better of the worst here.
C++ if you want to end your life prematurely

Attached: 1529752743667.jpg (700x963, 94K)

Take C++ if you want to do low level, high speed programming. You would need this if you want to build games engines, HFT algorithms, scientific programming that needs to be very fast, etc.

Take Java if you want to work with big data tech or SaaS programming. You need Java to become any kind of data/ML engineer or to build web apps or portals using Spring.

I personally would take Java as there are more things you can do with it as an average programmer whilst C++ tends to attract the best and brightest.

Seeing that Java is the most popular language by a long shot, Java. Unless of course you want to write video games, the C++

C++ is white man's choice
Java is pajeets choice but is easier to find tutorials

C++ but learn Java in your spare time (it's easier)

They're both good languages, but C++ is like driving a formula one and Java riding a go-kart.

So pick C++, then you can learn Java in like 3 weeks.

Don't listen to the casuals, learn C++ and join the elite.

The world is your oyster.

Take both. It makes you, if anything, more employable and gives you, as well, a firmer grasp on computer science.

>All these niggas pretending that knowing idiomatic / sane Java and C++ is an XOR choice
lol

Purpose aside, the structure of any C language seems very natural to me and therefore any C related language is easy to learn for me, while Java's structure is just annoying and it pisses me off, making it a pain in the ass for me to learn it despite the fact it's actually pretty easy.

hopefully it's c++98/03 and not some abomination

Why would someone teach an outdated version of the standard?

Both will make you want to quit CS because they're both awful.

Gun to my head, I'd pick Java and then learn Scala or, better yet, Clojure in my spare time.

This is the smarter option, if you're indecisive of the two. Java was written to facilitate C++ OOP, without dealing with memory management.

There's very little features of one that cannot be done in the other. Like others have said, it comes down to performance and field of interest.

C++ no question.

Not user, and I do not have a definite answer, but it's common. Likely due to lack of modern adoptions and generally forcing older practices. For example, Type inference wasn't introduced until C+11. It allows easier looping across containers, while abstracting away the iterator class.

>high speed programming

Attached: radical_dude_by_olita426-d8xh8qk.jpg (800x796, 109K)

p-please user, don't take my std::weak_ptr

remember to RAII

C++

However there is a 100% guarantee that C++ CS class will be shit and you won't actually learn C++ this way.

also:

Java

Attached: javavscpp.png (2445x1443, 397K)

C is basically the best ground level programming language you should know. If you understand C on a moderately high level, then you'll be able to understand basically any language and code it efficiently since you'll know "really what's going on". Learning python first is basically the polar opposite in this, ya dun goofed. There's a reason why Harvard's CS50 is explaining C, check out the videos online if you haven't already.

On second place is C++, so definitely learn C++. Eventually you'll work in and learn pretty much every programming language there is (if you get a computer scientist degree), so get in the habit of learning languages and systems on your spare time. But if you know one language you know all, basically, unless you decide to go full hipsteretard and learn declarative languages (which has NO real functional use what so ever, and isn't faster no more efficient. Just more "pure" for no good reason with a strong small userbase who is dedicated to prove they haven't just been wasting their time completely)

c#

Go master race logging in

because it's the smallest one

This, though for precisely this reason, I'd say C++.

What do you mean? After you finish uni you'll only learn one language, either java or c++? That's fucked up bro.

>The world is your oyster.
go back to /lit/

You'll have a much easier time with Java.
Java's also a better designed language.
If you don't already know C, learning C++ will give you brain damage.
All signs point to Java.

trying to make programming as easy as possible is the best way to get brainlets in.

>Mentally Crooked, C++
wat?