Had the same Nahalem arch as P55

>Had the same Nahalem arch as P55
>Triple channel ram
>6 core CPUs back when quad core was still a really high end thing
>Motherboards were awesome
>people still build X58 rigs on a budget
Is this the last good platform Intel made? there's pretty much no compromise compared to X79 and later where you're using the older tech but it's supposed to be an enthusiast platform.

Attached: based X58.jpg (421x494, 27K)

Na, Z68 was also quite nice

I totally forgot about socket 1155, that's a good platform and the CPU spreaders were soldered if you had Sandy

Sold my 2500k build to my sister, afaik it is still running 5ghz on air.
Try that on any newer Intel CPU without burning your house down

>intel
its shit and 6 cores are only chump change because AMD made them that way, intel would gladly love to still charge you $1000 for one

I'm still using that platform.
Works great for me and even after all these years the performance isn't even that bad, a X5675 overclocked basically gives me somewhat mid tier build performance, that's pretty crazy when you think about how old this system is.

Also that was the last time intel ever made something that could be overclocked like mad with unlocked multipliers. They kinda learned their lesson because everyone was buying the i7 920 and OC'ing it to beat the 980.

I will probably move into one of those 30 core CPUs when this guy can't do the work anymore but for now I enjoy the fact it just werks and the only money I had to waste on my PC were storage and GPU related in the past 8 years.

X58 is still a really good platform especially on a budget. You can find something like the dx58so for ~$100 and pair it with a $4 w3520, and 12GB of 1866 ecc memory for $60, then oc the cpu to ~4ghz with a $35 air cooler. But on the other hand, if you can find a decent x79 motherboard for a reasonable price. You can get e5-1650's for ~100 and oc them to ~4.5ghz with something like the scythe fuma. Quad channel memory, 40 pcie lanes, ecc support if you find the right mobo, plus newer instruction sets and integrated Sata III support. If the e5-1680v2 would ever come down to a price that actually makes sense it would make a great budget platform.

Nope, its a fucking SERVER grade CPU, thats why its still barely usable 10 years ago. It still needs around 1 GHz more for the same performance than current gen processors and consumes insane amounts of power.

>tfw very tempted to pull the trigger on a x5675 and an asus moboto upgrade my shit.
>Pcie gen2, no ddr4 when fucking ddr5 is coming, no m.2, barely any sata 3 or usb 3
>tfw I should probably wait until 3rd gen ryzen because those will probably be better value & have better performance.

Life is suffering.
t. FX-4100 at 4.2

Get a Ryzen. Even Zen 1 has better performance than X58. Don't waste your money unless you already have the hardware.

The X5650 @4.5 is around where the Ryzen 1 at 3.6 GHz is.

This, I love my FX-8350 and how its a cut down server chip, but the 2200g comes close to it on passmark and is 4 cores.

Does Ryzen support IOMMU and virtualization instructions?

Yes AMD support that stuff on ryzen boards.

According to terry davis all computers should have 8 cores.

Add the word "minimum" and I'll agree with him.

I wonder if he's a fan of AMD FX because it is technically 8 processing thingies and the CIA nxggers haven't comped it.

and 20Ghz base clockspeed all using an entire wafer with templeos as microcode

He's always used Intel CPUs from what I can tell. No idea how he feels about the new threadripper and EPYC processors since they have similar to intel performance.

Checked
Lucky number 7

My 2600k lost OC ability over time.
Originally 1.10v at 4.5ghz or 1.4v 5.0ghz
Now I need 1.3v to hit 4.4ghz and 5.0ghz isn't possible

That the one thing I don't like about sandy b overclocking, is that the voltage range is alot tighter than something like the FX chips where it officially goes up to 1.55v before degrading and you can't even cool that so you'll never run the voltage to hurt it.

I still want a T420 with the 2520m real bad.

Yes, it has probably twice the IPC.