US based services

On privacytools.io they say that you should avoid US and UK based services because the government can secretly approach the company and compromise them without a customer's knowledge. However i was reading this article and they say this"He [Edward Snowden] added that on an individual level, people should seek out encrypted tools and stop using services that are “hostile to privacy.” For one thing, he said you should “get rid of Dropbox,” because it doesn’t support encryption, and you should consider alternatives like SpiderOak.

SpiderOak.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpiderOak
The wiki is filled with shady things like not releasing the source code for their desktop client

So did snowden make a mistake endorsing them?

Attached: f31b731f.png (270x270, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

owndrive.com/
posteo.de/en/blog/transparency-report-requests-from-authorities-to-posteo-have-markedly-decreased
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i mean prolly

Yes. His advice isn't gospel, it's just general practice. Likely he read on wikipedia page that spideroak supported encryption and that was it.

i figured. Any cloud solutions if im not able to host my own?

If you wanna be secure, host your stuff yourself in a country you trust.
For me (I'm german, living in Germany) my own country ist #3 on my list, #1/#2 are both Norway and Iceland. They're both not in the EU and they both only give your data to another government if a court in this country tells them to do so.
Since I don't do anything illegal, my data should be safe there.

Sadly Iceland is expensive as fuck, so I stick with a dedicated server in Norway on which I host my email and nextcloud.

I'm If you can't host yourself, maybe try owndrive.com/
I'd recommend hosting in Norway.

How much does it cost you?

Spideroak is a buggy piece of shit, so I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

>trusting (((Merkel)))
GOOD GOY

The dedicated server costs about 35€, which is about 40$.
A cheap VPS is about 13€/16-17$.
If you don't wanna host it yourself, try owndrive. Only heard good about them and they offer a free account with 1gb storage.

For email I'd recommend mailbox.org, even if its hosted in germany.

better than trusting cia/fbi/nsa niggers?

How paranoid should i be under a 14 eyes service? 5 eyes is out of the question, but services like mailbox.org or mullvad vpn (sweden).. are they worth it or is it just as bad? I dont know the eu jurisdiction as i live in a 5 eyes country.

i also made this thread , posteo (german) seems better than mailbox i think because mailbox has some proprietary infrastructure

"

Mailsystems (Postfix, Dovecot, Anti-Spam-Engines) are common known open source software, available on every linux distribution.

Webmail-System/*DAV-Server are also open source software, available from Open Xchange.

Internal backend infrastructure ("Glue", internal API-Server, backup scripts, maintenance scripts, anti abuse detection systems, process logic) are developed by us and not open source.
"

Well, it depends on how paranoid you are.
I actually don't believe that any government could "hack" into Mailbox.org or Posteo.de without anyone to notice. The people who work there believe in their work and in what they do, and they take it pretty serious. I don't think they're not hackable, but they would notice. And if a government would come there to take their servers etc. they would tell the public somehow, no matter what they're told.

Still, you should keep in mind that your data can be viewed by the german government, if you do something thats illegal in germany.
posteo.de/en/blog/transparency-report-requests-from-authorities-to-posteo-have-markedly-decreased

You can protect yourself by using the automatic GPG-Encryption. But be sure to backup your private key and keep it private if you want to use this feature.

To the Open-Source thing: In the end, you can't check their systems. I'm pretty sure Posteo also has self developed stuff in their backend, which is not open source. But this actually doesn't matter that much, as long as it's either open source *or* self developed.
You have to trust them anyway, if it's just hosted by them or also coded by them.
I hope you get what I mean.

Personally, I also use Posteo and Mailbox.org
Posteo is my old account which I keep in case I forgot to change my email somewhere.
Mailbox.org is my Backup-Mailserver in case my own one stops working whyever.
And my own mailserver stands in Norway, which also hosts my nextcloud.

Im not too paranoid because i dont plan to do anything illegal. And i get what you mean by open source or not.
based on this chart i think i will go with mailbox however protonmail seems attractive. What do you think about protonmail?

Also, about owndrive, i cant seem to find this info: do they host an owncloud for you and you use it?

Attached: europacalling.jpg (1200x675, 654K)

wrong pic

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-25 02-39-05.png (706x560, 49K)

I actually can't tell you if protonmail is good or not. Personally, I don't know a reason to not trust them, but there could be reasons to not trust them.
Sorry to say it like that, but I guess your only help with this question is google.

To owndrive: Yes, they host Nextcloud for you. (Nextcloud is a fork of owncloud from the bigger part of the original developers, because they had problems with the way owncloud went with the development. I think it doesn't really matter which one of them you use, I personally prefer Nextcloud because of the same reasons the developers went away from owncloud and make their own fork of it.

Owndrive offers 2 different packages:
The cheaper one: You have your own Account on a hosted nextcloud from them. Your Data is secure and stuff, everything is fine, but you're just one user of many on this particular instance. It doesn't really matter tho.
The second one, which is way more expensive, is your own nextcloud installation, on which you can do what you want. You can install all plugins you want etc. If you don't really need it, it doesn't really makes a difference.

can i use own cloud with the second package and use it as a self hosted email service? that seems like the best options.

owndrive*

I don't think they also offer email hosting. You can install a Webmail-Plugin, but this only lets you login into an existing email account somewhere. So sadly this won't work.
But to be honest, Owndrive with like 50GB space isn't really expensive, and E-Mail hosting at Posteo or Mailbox is also really cheap (starting at 1€/month).
Also, you can always upgrade your packages. So you can start with 5gb Owndrive and if you reach 5gb you can still upgrade to 15gb and so on. Same with E-Mail. Both Posteo and Mailbox are working prepaid. You charge your Account with 12€ (minimum on both services, so 1 year without extras) and every month they bill 1€ from these 12€. If you want more storage, they then bill 1,5€ or so. Pretty simple.

And to anyone who says "why should I pay for that when I can get it somewhere else for free?" - if it's free, you're not the costumer, you (or your data to be exact) are the product.

1gb is enough for me, i use cloud as temporary storage and mailbox has cloud while posteo doesnt. I think i will go with mailbox and no owndrive since i dont really need it.

What VPN do you use? if you use any

I used PerfectPrivacy in the past, but I switched to tor for no actual reason.
But since Tor doesn't work good on my phone etc I probably go back to PerfectPrivacy again.
Sadly pretty expensive compared to other Services, but they have some cool features like Adblocking lists on VPN level etc.

i see, unfortunately it does not offer too much coverage in my country, i currently use nord but i dont trust them. Anyways thank you for helping.

Sure, you're welcome
At least someone who isn't totally retarded, rare these days