Give me one good reason why Windows is better than Linux, besides muh games

Give me one good reason why Windows is better than Linux, besides muh games.

Attached: CXd8gusUoAAo4K1.jpg (718x479, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kZRE7HIO3vk
reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/8tifsi/is_this_golden_milo_tab_part_of_a_promotionits/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it works

Because software and

>open Windows
How exactly does one "open" Windows?

Because if you aren't in the privileged position of being a .NET developer Windows is worse for almost all kinds of development.

I don't know, he should just stick to his YouTube videos to be honest.

Attached: 1525016184651.png (1024x635, 944K)

actually lol'd irl

Attached: mpv_[Evil-Saizen]_Laughing_Salesman_19_[DVD][10bit][CA99D333]_00_02_15_02.jpg (640x480, 71K)

It's either bait or a 2/10 case for my cringe collection.

What software does it have beyond games that a modern Unix-based OS doesn't?

I work in automation industry and 90% of software are windows only

youtube.com/watch?v=kZRE7HIO3vk

All operating systems are garbage.

They all carry a ridiculous amount of technical debt that we can never get away from.

The best thing would be to build something new that is secure from the ground up but with the billions of engineering hours already sunk into these systems the chances of this ever happening is slim to non-existent.

Linux sucks but we'd all be way worse off without it.

Nice bait

Automation industry...

You're either full of shit or some sort of button pressing shill. Most automation is embedded or custom built. There are not OS running on most of that hardware..

When it is opened by the boot loader, dumbass

So... TempleOS?

Attached: readImage.jpg (409x393, 19K)

muh all industry standard software
if you do ANYTHING besides coding for a living you need windows or mac

Video editing.

Why is that?

>Most automation is embedded or custom built
Absolute nonsense.

Because he's been brainwashed to think that no Free Software could ever be better than his precious Adobe Photoshop, the rest of the Adobe suite, FL Studio, etc

It updates automatically and sends user data to microsoft so that they can help out if your computer crashes. There is also talk about that they might be monitoring your computers so that if, lets say, your dad is downloading CP, they will know that and will inform the police. Why wouldnt you want to know if your dad turned chimo

Video editing, MS Office suite (which is leagues above linux alternatives), scientific and engineering software such as Autocad, and many other things needed for productivity.

Which is why I dual boot.

reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/8tifsi/is_this_golden_milo_tab_part_of_a_promotionits/

If one makes the presumption that the modern IT is all about the internet, then you have to ask yourself
'Does Linux even have a choice in this matter ?'

A modern computing system is not one that is run from the command line - it is a system that is tied in with the internet Cloud. Just have a look at Windows 10 with Cortana and OneDrive for an example of this done right.

You need the outlook to connect in with the mass of email flowing around us every day. And then there is document collaboration - the sharing of Wordfiles and Excels between users across state boundries ! Voice over IP, cloud enabled 'Surface' computing, and voice command interfaces - all tied together with .NET and the OneDrive.

The driving force behind this internet is the Microsoft Sharepoint Server - a central peice of systems software which connects all these end points together, in a synergistic kaleidoscope that achieves both balance and symmetry.

The smart Vendors know that in order to get ahead in the future IT, that means integrating with the Cloud.

Linux has nothing on the Cloud.

Why do you like using external servers so much?

A few million pieces.

>americans condition the air they breathe and clap when a gay salesman presents them a notebook with the name "air" or somebody wears stinky "air" footwear

Attached: fishpenis.jpg (1366x768, 223K)

>it's a linuxbabby pretending gimp can be considered a ps alternative and not just paint++

don't drop the washing detergent

>it's a pajeet sucks proprietary dick episode

Attached: 1528279167375.jpg (1440x1080, 891K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518235149313.png (495x418, 287K)

This is probably bait, but here we go
>Just have a look at Windows 10 with Cortana
oh yeah because that's totally an amazing piece of software. Microsoft bundling a chick version of Bonzi Buddy with every install...
>OneDrive
There are plenty of alternatives. Both the proprietary botnet kind, like Google Drive and Dropbox, as well as the self-hosted type like OwnCloud, Nextcloud, and Syncthing.
>You need the outlook to connect in with the mass of email flowing around us every day.
Outlook is just an email client. You can do the same shit with Thunderbird, Evolution, or even fuckin mutt, the first and last of those are also, last time I checked, confirmed to be free of vulnerabilities from the "EFail" situation, while other clients aren't so lucky.
>And then there is document collaboration - the sharing of Wordfiles and Excels between users across state boundries!
Google offers this too, and if you're concerned about privacy, there's OnlyOffice.
>Voice over IP
Plenty of choices here. One commonly used at least by the gaming crowd is Mumble, although there are many, many more.
>cloud enabled 'Surface' computing
what did he mean by this?
>voice command interfaces
aka bonzi shit
>all tied together with .NET
.NET is a programming framework. What does that have to do with anything?
>The smart Vendors know that
Translation: The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these botnets.
And yes by the way, I DO have a Microsoft tattoo.
>Linux has nothing on the Cloud.
what is AWS

>hurr durr de cloud

>Linux has nothing on the Cloud.
>ms is literally obligated to offer Linux based solutions to keep their cloud business relevant

I hurt myself again, to see if I still feel. I focus on the pain, the only thing that's real.

Attached: Steve_Wozniak_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (2068x2764, 2.26M)

>gimp
>doing anything on layers
it's like you have never used gimp or photoshop
fucking neets

Dunno, doesnt werk en my machine

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

The cloud is a meme corporations want to push so they can constantly collect data and money from consumers.

That post was just shilling MS by using as many of their product names as they could. Not worth taking seriously.

Linux runs exactly zero professional DAWs.

Windows reminds me every hour that I need a valid product key. Linux doesn't have that feature.

A good debugger, from what I've heard.

Nobody knows. Everyone uses Macbooks and Linux PCs nowadays, so the knowledge of how to open Windows is lost unfortunately

fpbp

It's subjectively better for me personally because I'm more familiar with it.
I suppose if I was forced to use Linux for one reason or another I'd eventually think they were both equally useful.

The best thing we can do is completely abandon all pretense of security

MS Office compatibility (required by schools and business)

>Professional DAW
Not sure what you mean by this, Ardour works great for my use case

>professional
Literally only means that someone used it to make money.

>.NET dev
>privileged position
I would neck myself if I was forced to write anything using that pile of shit

>cringe collection
it began with your birth, right?

Hello, Pajeet

>cloud enabled 'Surface' computing, and voice command interfaces
This is some "bob's game" level shit

>to poor to have ac
>needs to open windows

In my experience Windows is so much easier to get all your hardware working the first time, hell with Windows 10 looking for drivers has been a thing of the past.

hello freetard

A computer is like air conditioning, it doesn't run on linux

Attached: windowacunit-e1403021700248.jpg (643x400, 56K)

checked

because my professors have a hard on for it and so I'm forced to use it

It allows portable programs.

This for me too. For everything I do, I could accomplish it on GNU/Linux, but they always end up specifying a specific program and format I have to do it in.
Like, I could make a network or database diagram in Draw.io, but nooo! They need it to be in Visio.

>it works
>it isn't fucking fragile as fuck
>it doesn't take ages to load
>it doesn't have a retarded installation process
>it actually fucking looks nice
>it isn't some gimmicky hacker operating system
>it's actually fucking useful for many different things

I agree user, Linux is far superior to Windows.

Not a single one of those could even remotely be used to describe Linux
Stay delusional you dopey cunt

Let's hear your list, I want to laugh

>it works
yes, for all my needs, including gaming
Linux is quite stable overall. I haven't had much of any crashing, and the only times I did get crashes and errors were when the system was informing me about my hardware malfunctioning (replaced hard drive and it was all good)
Very true. Load times are exceptionally slow on Windows. Especially for installing updates. JESUS FUCK updates take forever on Windows, and usually require a restart. Linux generally doesn't need this, and even when it does, it's not as aggravating as the boot times are also faster.
Installation of Xubuntu was quite nice, only complicated by, once again, Linux bitching about disk errors. Other than that it's very straightforward and streamlined.
Yes it does. I haven't even themed it yet and it's quite acceptable. At some point i'll get around to picking a comfy GTK theme an wallpaper and it'll look perfect.
UNIX is UNIX
BSD is UNIX
MacOS is UNIX
GNU/Linux is UNIX (gnu's not unix is only for legal reasons)
Windows is the only odd one out here. If anything, Windows is the gimmicky bullshit OS while everything else is sane and reasonable.
So is GNU/Linux. I mostly use it as a game machine, but I could install video editing, audio editing, database shit, server software, programming libraries and tools, and so on.

gaming works, but you need the right hardware with the right drivers (read: not intel or novideo)
t. on Intel HD and I can't even play Dota 2 at 60 FPS min while in Windows its maxed out and runs at 80 FPS

Total Commander

Why the fuck do we have this thread everyday? Go on your fucking Linux and shut your pizza face, you fucking autistic virgin

>it works
Windows breaks more than Linux so long as you use a proper distribution and not that Arch or Gentoo garbage.

Yes it is, stop lying to yourself.

Nothing takes ages to load on modern hardware. Upgrade your toaster.

Yes, it does. Proper distributions of Linux do not.

No, it doesnt't, and it isn't nearly as customizable as a Linux distribution. It is much easier to make Linux looks nice than it is Windows.

You're right, it's a gimmicky brainlet operating system

Because shitposting on Jow Forums requires specialized software, apparently

Weird. I have an Nvidia card and it works great. I did have to run the "Additional Drivers" program and install the proprietary one, but after that, it's been smooth sailing

Attached: 1527303721338.png (274x276, 6K)

>There are not OS running on most of that hardware..
Not him, but I work in the same field, Wangdows of some sort or another is in roughly half of our equipment. The machines actual software runs inside of Windows just like an application would on your PC.

>Arch or Gentoo garbage.
These don't break any more than any other distro, they're just harder to install properly.

It helps our national security by monitoring all user interaction.

Same for a lot of specialized lab equipment. Because it's so expensive to replace, there are devices still running Windows 2000/XP on special firewalled networks.

fpbp

Although I use Linux for servers.

They're a huge waste of time

One thing I've noticed is how much slower GNU/Linux distros are at booting up compared to Windows, at least on my SSD.

We don't even network our shit, just plug in a laptop out on the work floor. I.T. has they're hands full just managing the office mongs and Windows 10.

That's weird, my laptop boots anywhere from 3-14 seconds, mechanical drives on my desktop boot in about 18-34 seconds. Might be whatever distro you're using.

interactive entertainment software

nothing is sacred just do and use whatever you like

No, its consistent across several distros and desktop environments.
The worst offender by far was openSUSE.

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks.

That's pretty odd. Last I remember it was always the other way around. I've not touched Windows in years though so I wouldn't know.

too bad it's nothing but niggerlicious code

7 was definitely slower than Linux distros but 10 is definitely faster.
I never tried 8/8.1 so I can't say.

Congrats on the (you)s user.

rekt

> Taking a pithy comment literally.

No screen tearing

That is weird. Are you sure you are not comparing cold boots on Linux with systemd to "fast startup" [variant to suspend-from-disk] or something from Windows 10?

Even then try "systemd-analyze [blame]". I have a good bit of shit in my startup on a relative potato machine, and it's at the graphical login in 9s regardless.

I've done that too and my boot is now insanely fast. I mentioned it in another thread

No, I literally turn off power at a plug at night. Not because of paranoia or anything, its just it means that I have one switch for lights, monitor etc.
It definitely is slower for me.

I don't know what to believe any more