High end surface book 2 for college?

Stylus to take notes seems appealing. Full 1060 is also really appealing. Just need to know if it's reliable, i.e. lasts 4 years bhpho.to/2tBTRiq (found a $500 discount too). To do the same with macs, I would need a macbook and an ipad pro, which are significantly more expensive, two separate products, and no real gpu.

Attached: microsoft_hnr_00001_15_surface_book_2_1508886362000_1367732.jpg (500x500, 40K)

And no, I don't want a 14 pound, hot, noisy, behemoth. I would much rather pay a 1k premium.

yeah sure fuck it go for it if you need it. Nobody cares, we aren't your tech support. You're already convinced, obviously that's a good computer and you have the money. Delete this thread then buy it.

It's a pretty solid device overall, I think Linux might work on it too if you want to go for that.

Stylus is a gimmick. You'll use it once in a while and be like "This is neat", knowing in the back of your head that you could have done it quicker typing.

$2000 is not worth it for That

The whole point of Tablet/Laptop hybrid is portability
and weight over performance

but the surface book, the 15" one is as heavy as other 2-in-1, with less performance at a higher price

and when undocked the tablet battery life is just 2-3 hours

if you want a ligthweight tablet go for the surface pro, or the Dell 7285 (like the surface book, but tablet is much lighter and has 6-8 hours battery life) and has a much better keyboard

But if you don't really need a tablet, go for a folding Laptop, like Hp Spectre x360, Lenovo Yoga 920, Thinkpad Yoga X380

if you want gaming get a Thunderbolt 3 Dock, or the Samsung notebook 9 pro (15 inches, dedicated GPU and much better stylus)

Bought one and returned it.

Coil whine is very loud.

The screen has terrible light bleed, just terrible and they all suffer from this.

The mechanical mechanism that disconnects the screen from the keyboard locks up all the time and even after many restarts I still couldn't get it to detach properly 100% of the time.

The speakers are terrible for something so expensive, even the tiny MacBook with one USB C port has speakers that blow the SB2 out of the water.

The USB C port doesn't have Tunderbolt 3.

The included power adapter doesn't supply enough power to play demanding games and charge the SB2 at the same time without changing the performance slider.

The screen has a lot of wobble.

So yeah, buy two of them...

Attached: giphy.gif (480x360, 1.26M)

Get the XPS 15 9570,
>Hexa-core 8750H CPU
>4K touchscreen
>Can upgrade/replace/repair anything that goes wrong with it even out of warranty for cheap
>significantly cheaper for the 15", 512GB 16GB ram option
>Better cooling
>All the ports
>USB-C port has thunderbolt 3

Sure no pen support, and the 1050Ti Max-Q is a little weaker, but because of that better cooling and the ability to repaste plus that much more powerful CPU makes it heaps more powerful for way cheaper.

Go ahead, by the Macbook of windows and be buttmad when some key function fails and it's out of warranty. Everything's soldered in so good luck replacing that tiny 256GB drive in a few years when it's not enough.

mfw you poor fags use your computer past 2 years

Nibba I toss that shit in the trash and get something new every 2 years

Pen support is necessary because I will need to draw stuff to take notes for my major. Dont want to use paper whatsoever.

Then buy the fucking computer and stop posting. You already made your mind. Why do you seek approval from Jow Forums? Faggot.

I hate OPs like yourself, you come here asking for advice and you never reply. Look how many people went out of their way to give you feedback and you didn't even respond to them. I hope whatever PC you buy dies one day out of warranty.

Mfw you're actually retarded enough to buy a new computer every two years

I bet you buy every single new iphone, don't you?

>College student wastes daddy's money on a new computer every two years

Shocker

I bought a SB1 as my new laptop for $800, it's a nice machine but if I were to do it over again I'd get something with a replaceable battery. Also, the tablet mode battery life is really short. I have a desktop PC for gaming, but even if I didn't I wouldn't use it to game, the thing is way too thin and doesn't have the ventilation to deal with the heat produced by gaming.

if you are not into gaming, just buy the used one

surface pro i5 if you want to cut noise, sufacebook comes with coil whine

You got rid of it...

What you end up getting?

(No OP but I've already been through SB2 and XPS)

get a macbook

Attached: onahole-closeup.png (680x321, 58K)

macbooks are about to hit a major design change because of their keyboard disaster

honestly I think the HDR carbon x1 is the best laptop on the market right now - for any price.

Get a cheap acer for college. Gen z has been brainwashed into thinking they need material possessions for status. True status is an education with the lowest load of debt possible and a good job through determination

You literally can not find a high end laptop less reliable than the surface.

lol that's gay

get a maxed out xps

you really think they will change the keyboard? I like to type on it but you need to be very careful or else you can't use it anymore.

They'll have to at least make a serious revision to the whole design of the butterfly mechanism to make customers in the know consider the keyboards unless they're like OP and bin their computer every couple of years or don't mind getting their $3000 facebook machine serviced bi-annually

but after the butterfly keyboard service program (and upcoming lawsuit), you can be sure they're looking at other options for the rumored "grand redesign" of the macbook pro line.

Digitizers are terrible for handwriting. Unless you are ok with literal pre-k tier scribbles with letters the size of donuts, use pen and paper. Or type.

Only slightly related but I have an i5 surface pro 4 and I love it. Here are some thoughts.

The pen is actually hot garbage for productivity. I can type near 150 WPM lol why the fuck would I handwrite words. Literally only good for making art, drawing diagrams and making signatures. You literally never use it for anything else.

The s4 keyboard is GOAT. Very light key travel with just the right amount of actual force. I type so fucking fast on it that I probably have a higher WPM than my desktop keyboard.

I could overclock my screen by 5 hz. Anecdotal evidence suggests that most surface products can have their screens overclocked at least 5 hz, sometimes up to 15. Makes the device feel slightly smoother.

Undervolting should be done immediately if you have the free time. It minimizes CPU throttling and helps prevent the fans from spinning up.

Personally now that I own one I think surfaces are overpriced but I also really enjoy using mine. 10/10 would recommend.

Attached: 563207549.jpg (453x465, 74K)

No.

Get a Razer Stealth Blade. They made a non-gaymur one. Razer's build quality is on par with macbooks when apple used to still make them ok.

Microsoft is doing a good job, considering how new they are in this thing, but they have a ways to go before they make flawless hardware products.

The SB2 has issues with the dock not being able to keep a charge while you play demanding games, for example. Also all sorts of issues with the GPU from the tablet when you disconnect it and reconnect it. They have issues even on the high-end ones.

You're better off with a good Razer or Dell XPS. It's down to preference. Razers have a metal body, not sure if the XPS does too, or it's half plastic/carbon.

Buy XPS

Buy XPS

It's better at games (somehow). Unless you are an art major.

ahem

Attached: mxp.jpg (800x451, 178K)

Buy an ipad pro for notes. Onenote is garbage
Ipad +pencil is like 750
Laptop with i5 and gpu another 700-1k

This this. I got my Surface Pro 3, the one with the i5 and 256GBs of storage for only $379.99. The surface pro 4 keyboard is great to type on.

I still use my surface pro 3 for school. Run matlab just fine as well as any other programming software. Having the pen is also really good to take notes during lecture without the need to lug around paper. I think it's the only thin I use to get my school work done now. I think it's starting to kick the bucket though, not sure if it's a windows update or what but my fan runs all the time now and the surface gets pretty fucking hot. Probably gonna back up my files and reinstall windows on it.

BASED

I doubt Apple will do a major redesign before 2020. I think in the third refresh they will come out with a 3rd generation of their butterfly switch that will hold them over until 2020.

>stylus to take notes
pen and paper >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> modern tech shit
don't fall for the meme.

The screen doesn't have white in it's color gamut. Try to make the whites white and it turns blue. I don't want to have to buy another Mac, but it's the only monitor with the right colors. I'm thinking about taking the Surface back.

If you need a gpu I doubt fanless laptop will suit you. It's a facebook machine after all.

I have it. I'm not fond of microsoft policies, and i hate windows 10, but i must admit that this laptop is fucking great. No coil whine, when drawing with photoshop if you invert the orientation of the screen and close it it may have some difficulties to dissipate the cpu, so i put my fist between the keyboard and the back of the screen or another object, apart from that, i rate it 9/10.

>1TB
>tiny