Windows 98 20th Anniversary

Windows 98 is now 20 years old. (Released June 25 1998)

Attached: win98-g.png (1105x580, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WeBS-dNo0Bk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

all that late 90's botnets.

what the fuck was this right sitebar I see it all the time on Win98 screenshots

its an active desktop thing

IE channel bar. IE was integrated in the desktop many ways. Another was the Active Desktop feature. It just held links and desktop shortcuts.

ADS
REEEEEEEEEEEE

The Channel Bar. It was like RSS and Flash. None of the links in it work any more.

makes me feel old tto think hat I was 20 at the time and had already done my military service, life goes on so fast

98 is so fucking cute. I love old technology. It was so shitty but so cute.

F

One of best OS-es ever

As someone who actually used this in 1999 on my home PC, fuck that OS and whoever made it. I hope they're all dead now. Enjoy reinstalling that shit once a month and having random blue screens. Pure trash. It made me become a Macfag up until 2008 when I switched to Loonix. And to this day, Windows is still garbage.

Attached: 6acvv6-0lr67imdhowy.jpg (396x385, 22K)

this

Here is my boxed copy I got.

Attached: windows98box.jpg (515x637, 127K)

eyy i remember active desktop. never knew what it was but i always saw the option for it

>tfw born on same day as windows 98

It's like being raped as a kid and still being afraid to have sex as an adult

>boxed
>upgrade edition
fucking brainlets

And here is a getting started guide.

Attached: gettingstarted98.jpg (555x775, 187K)

I got the windows95 upgrade cd, then I got cable internet and pirated everything including 98

HAHA I GOT YOUR KEY NOW

Stand-alone Win98 VM for easy desktop use when?

I just want Dosbox but as Win98. I want to fucking play Shadow Company again.

I remember playing Age Of Empires and RollerCoaster Tycoon on that. I was just a kid back then so I didn't know how horrible it was but shit, that was comfy.
Some old spectrometers at uni still work on 98/XP. Just the right amount of nostalgia.

I found my one of those whilst cleaning just yesterday strangely, along with the accompanying CD and floppy. Got it with a prebuilt from Time Computers that my dad bought me.

Attached: Microsoft-Windows-98-Start-CD_thumbnail.jpg (340x547, 24K)

It's also my birthday

Here is an unboxing

Attached: 98unboxing.jpg (815x727, 199K)

Oh. I installed W98SE because a specific game at weekend. In virtualbox btw. Thanks for the info, i was 13 as it released.

Pajeets. Now i understand everything.

I remember Windows 98 being my first shitty OS.

My first PC had Windows 98 SE, I was a child, I broke it playing with system files.

Some technician "fixed it" but the guy installed first edition and it was the most buggy thing I've ever had.

Thankfully we updated to SE later again.

kys

Wow that getting started book is huge.

I regularly use Win98se along with posting to Jow Forums with it.
Have it on 3 boxes currently
P3 Slot 1 733Mhz
P3 Socket 370 1.26Ghz
C2D Socket 754 2.4Ghz (Yes, the motherboard for this actually factually supports Win98 though Win10, its awesome)

>Upgrade version
Worthless. Who give a shit?

Joke's on you, it doesn't use online activation.

>Improve your PC

Attached: 1527001347620.jpg (850x1035, 61K)

I never had the chance of trying this retro OS, but I would love to, it looks so comfy and friendly...

Microsoft should sell an ISO image on GOG, I'm sure it would sell well.

It's not that hard to set up a regular VM, really. But if I knew a good place to upload it I could just toss you my fresh 98 SE install for virtualbox.

bruh just download virtualbox and a windows 98 iso.

Give it a massive 5GB of hard drive space and it will probably install in 10 minutes.

Totally this.
Blue screens of nowhere all the time.

Attached: 1522245541922.jpg (957x621, 31K)

I remember watching this when it first came out.
God I'm old. youtube.com/watch?v=WeBS-dNo0Bk

F

>Thread

Attached: bluedeath.jpg (1280x720, 42K)

nofile.io my good friend

when i was in my cs, we all used windows 98 se and learn to code dynamically delivered web page...so much nostalgia

Happy Birthday.

It's honestly surprising how much they've improved in animation and sound quality.

I mean, it's a whole series of them just shitting out episodes on the fly with little care about technical quality.

>yfw most Jow Forums users where born after 98

Attached: frescoeyes.png (320x240, 6K)

>that unironic boomer

i wasn't

>born 1978
>boomer
???