Hired as a RedHat Linux Administrator

>Hired as a RedHat Linux Administrator
>Start in 2 weeks
>Previous experience: Installed Ubuntu

How fucked am I?

Any anons have any advice? People do actually work with Linux on this board right?

Attached: D2DCEAAE-8EA1-4985-86B1-6D0D7A42CCF3.jpg (800x526, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D7vS4z6ngQo
safaribooksonline.com/library/view/ten-steps-to/9781492042587/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How the hell did you get the job? Better go start learning bash and stuff quick.

Just learn how to google and read stackoverflow and you should be fine.

I have a clearance from previous military work and Security+...and they’re desperate.

Idk what Stackoverflow or bash is but my Googlefu is solid. I’ll look it up as soon as I get home.

meanwhile I have a literal degree in comp sci and can't get a job :(

well stop applying to IT jobs with your math degree then

>Idk what Stackoverflow or bash is
Wew lad

>Idk what Stackoverflow or bash is but my Googlefu is solid.
The OP doesn't bother me too much but this one triggers me like hell, is that normal?

wow dude you're really fucked
just do your best and get blacklisted ASAP so you never have to deprive a more deserving of a job opportunity ever again

what should I become, a javascript developer?

fuck nigger I wanna off myself so bad. :(

Pretty fucked i'd say.
If you don't know your shit it's gonna show pretty quickly provided your colleagues have some knowledge.
I wouldn't worry too much though, it's probably a shitty company anyway if they hired a linux admin with 0 experience.

Install gentoo

>military work
>no real experience
must be to meet a diversity quota, consider yourself lucky and do your best.

MITER ATT&CK Framework
Red Team Handbook
Capture the Flag
Learn bash
Learn python
Read up on news, try to sound knowledgeable
These might buy you time, but you'll need to worn your ass off. I'm in csec at a very good school for it, students live and breathe security. If anyone who knows something is there, you're probably fucked

yeah music degree is better for computers

Attached: susan-mauldin-on-linkedin.png (394x402, 126K)

>I...I..Im writing my own cryptocurrency

the great valley beyond is not for people like us

been eyeballing ITIL for a while, doesn't sit right with me paying 300 bucks for an exam

anyways what certs are you pursuing?

>>Hired as a RedHat Linux Administrator
>>Start in 2 weeks
>>Previous experience: Installed Ubuntu

Attached: burning lmao.jpg (501x501, 19K)

OP here

I actually did this earlier today. Thank you.

I’m going back to school now for cyber security, most of the information is worthless imho. Work experience, connections, and soft skills are where it’s at. Go to job fairs. and start sucker recruiter cocks. It’s a buzzword but “Networking” will take you far.

Honestly if this happens...oh well. I’ll just get a job doing something else. :^)

They know of the little experience, but hopefully the public shaming won’t be too bad.

I will do my best thank you.

I do read articles of exploits and shit in my spare time, but that’s only because my school shoves it down my throat. I’d equate it to faggots on reddit thinking they like science because they read PopSci or something. By no means would I sound knowledgeable to a person that knows what they’re doing.

Thanks everyone, I’m feeling good about this now.

Attached: 4E7E9613-FEC4-4F8D-883B-42913BEEE5D2.jpg (480x360, 35K)

oh dear

Just get your redhat portal access sorted and smash their knowledge base . If they're running satellite 6 you are in for a vertical learning curve and a world of pain

Jesus Christ. If I meet you on the street I'm going to strangle you to death, OP.

you're beyond oblivious

Attached: kc tier man.jpg (600x683, 32K)

>women in tech

OP, are you femanon?

Attached: 33920301_840349269497873_6485849784639815680_n.jpg (500x637, 17K)

>i'm in charge of this entire thing even though i have no idea wtf any of it is

why do people do this? inb4 money, none of it can be worth the humiliation and damage to your career when you're inevitably exposed.

Which news sources would you recommend for this kind of network admin/security field?

enjoy your 3 days pay my guy

OP here, just got home.

I am not a girl but look feminine when I grow my curly hair out.

Alright I googled Stack Overflow and it looks like a nerdy tech forum. In response to this, I can read it just fine. Thank you for your advice.

So is bash just the terminal? If yes then why don't you faggots just call it that?

Attached: IMG_3704.png (1182x1346, 1.02M)

You should be looking for a new job instead of wasting time here tbqh

OP just fucked up her future. Everybody is going to know that she sucks, and she'll never get hired again. At least she can blame it on CIS white men based on some vague reason like men invented Unix or something.

>So is bash just the terminal? If yes then why don't you faggots just call it that?
... you're actually so fucked bro

linuxlet here... i really want to start using it fulltime again, where should i start? -installed and fucked around with slackware like over a decade ago.

This is actually a bretty good troll.

6/10

Attached: cb5.gif (200x200, 559K)

You are major league fucked.

At this point your best bet is to set up a VPN and pay some guy in china to do your job for you.

They probably won't notice for years.

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS BAIT.
S A G E
A
G
E

>I look feminine when i grow my curly hair out

i'll admin your linux systems ifkwim bb

Not gay sorry, though a lot of previous workers insisted I was.

I'd actually like to do this but there's no way I'd be able to set one up in the facility I'll be working in.

Not baiting boyz.

I'm probably out for now fella's. I think I figured out where I stand with this. I have two weeks to become a master and a master I shall become.

Attached: IMG_3846.jpg (373x332, 58K)

>Not gay sorry, though a lot of previous workers insisted I was.

it's not gay if it's a feminine penis

>ITT: Newfags trying to be oldfags getting baited by summer

>So is bash just the terminal?
Here's your fucking (You) that you crave
9/10

Attached: hoovy.png (520x678, 301K)

You'll be fine man, my first day all I ever did was install gentoo, apparently I had more knowledge than half the staff. I work at HQ in RDU, rush hour traffic is absolute shite. I have to leave a full 2 hours early or else I run into the beltline completely crammed with fucks.

Thank you for the good word. Trying to keep a good attitude about it. That traffic sucks though, I'll be able to ride a bike to work and I will be doing so except during the winter months.

What are you doing now? Still working with Linux?

Attached: IMG_3828.png (384x384, 10K)

>Idk what stack overflow or bash is
Topkek

>she can blame it on CIS white men based on some vague reason like men invented Unix

>work as IT support
>sorta cute blonde asks for help
>tell her to log in to the pc
>gets her password wrong several times
>"ffs this was probably invented by some man"

Attached: 440931521709473792.png (126x128, 27K)

Can't say on here. I'll glance over the list though, maybe we may know each other soon.

> Feminists: "we need more women in stem!"

> Equifax: "hire that woman with the music degree"

No wonder they got hacked

>Which news sources would you recommend for this kind of network admin/security field?
I have no idea. During school year I focused on competitions, currently I'm working and doing some summer classes, haven't been caught up on the news. Krebs is a name I hear a lot, I focused on AD/Windows so adsecurity.org has been good to me

CNN or Slashdot

>I have a clearance from previous military work and Security+...and they’re desperate.
I don't think he's trolling. I work for a defense contractor and the IT department is always looking for 'IT professionals' with clearances. Since you need full access to the network, a TS/SCI is almost mandatory. They have such a shortage of people with that clearance and skills it's astounding. And they constantly hire people who have no fucking idea what linux is or how it works, which makes my job harder since linux is used pervasively in CFD.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, here's an anecdote. When I got a new linux VM set up on a classified system, they told me that all I could use to access it was puTTY. When I asked them why remote desktop or x11 forwarding wasn't possible, they told me "um, remote desktop is a windows protocol, it's impossible to use with linux". I can guarantee you that guy was is the position OP was now. So I think OP isn't full of shit, let that sink in.

Soo... OP is safe as long as he can bullshit?

It sounds like all he needs to do is maintain his security clearance. Being functionally incompetent in the technical role apparently has no significant bearing on the situation.

Ha

>>Hired as a RedHat Linux Administrator
>>Start in 2 weeks
Find a RHCSA prep course on udemy or something and do nothing but fuck around with CentOS for the next two weeks. You might not be totally fucked.

They might send him to training classes. Keep up your clean lifestyle and don't worry about it, OP. Big Brother will take care of you. ;)

yeah this is 90% of the development jobs in the DC area. extremely desperate for talent, because there is a no tolerance policy for weed if you want to work on defense.

i got a job with 0 development experience and they were even willing to have me wait for a year before bringing me onboard since i had smoked weed that year.

What the fuck. Just don't smoke weed. How easy it is not to?

youtube.com/watch?v=D7vS4z6ngQo

i think you may have misread my post

what did you do in school?

No, I mean don't smoke weed EVER.
It's simple.

lol sorry if my weed smoking hurt your feefees

What the fuck dude.

Attached: 1526501946776.jpg (255x200, 7K)

You should be okay if you read the fucking man pages.

Attached: 1529853796042.jpg (657x527, 45K)

Ok real talk though guys, how are you supposed to get experience to get an administrator job, if you need experience to get an administrator job?

I'm happy for OP that the company is giving him a chance.

Get a helpdesk job and get certs and stuff on the sIde. Let your superiors know what you are doing and ask them what skills they want you to obtain to move up

You know what you have to do right?
Give us a Jow Forums version of pic related and make us proud you brainlet fuck.

Attached: anon works IT.png (2418x4018, 469K)

What? No. You don't need to defend yourseld. I just don't see why you'd do this

>why would someone ever do something that makes them feel good
hmmm

This is probably a quite good suggestion this time around.

>and ruin their brains

Attached: todd.png (400x400, 149K)

Can confirm.

Currently enlisted in the USAF as a network admin (think routers/switches) and they'll hire just about anyone as a contractor for IT shit as long as you have a clearance.
You literally just have to make an effort to learn and you'll be miles ahead of your coworkers. They get most of their employees from clueless Army types who get hired because they have a security clearance.

Same reason someone will eat a slice of cheesecake every once in a while.

>smoking weed ruins your brain
Sure it will impact you if you do it in excess, but so will most things.

>confirmed boy

you are such a bad dude

lol nice troll but you can't have a job and not know what bash and SO is.

I thought fedora was their free distro

Yeah, and grow up to be a fucking loser who posts on Jow Forums and installs obscure linux distros so he can screenshot it and show it off to other faggots. No thanks, I'll be a normal human being

would be worse if your previous experience was only installing windows

lmfao go back to Jow Forumsfortnight

Oh it's totally possible in the defense industry. You basically just need a clearance to get hired.

CentOS is almost exactly the same as RHEL, just the redhat specific stuff is removed. Fedora is the desktop downstream adaptation.

Depends how many things are broken at the place you'll be working. If you can google you shouldn't be too worried, and I assume you'll be working with others who are not going to try and sabotage the company by letting you fuck it all up.

Fucking lol

Jesus christ. I hope this is troll.
RedHat couldn't be this desperate r-right?

Read this now if you want to make it :
safaribooksonline.com/library/view/ten-steps-to/9781492042587/

Attached: file.jpg (240x360, 19K)

>be me
>have an interview tomorrow for a "monitoring engineer" job
>have decent linux skills and whatnot
>guy I talked with said the job requires little knowledge and no experience and it's a good starting point
>still shitting my pants before the interview and feel like I'm going to have an aneurysm and die
>having a banging headache like my head's about to explode
>having visions of fucking the interview up and embarrassing myself forever
>considering all the suicide options for tomorrow
just kill me right now

Just go without pants on.

is there more?

Thanks for the perspective

don't worry, you'll be pretty much as good as all the other vegetables they hired.

everyone here saying you're fucked has never worked in an IT job. most of your coworkers will barely be able to turn a computer on, the bosses do not know the difference between someone competent and a complete potato. just wear geeky clothes and pretend you star in big bang theory and you'll rise to the top of your department in no time.

Not OP but why would anyone need to learn Bash is beyond me. Its just such a niche language

Attached: 1445934552676.jpg (362x298, 73K)