wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=www:documentation:start
debian.org/ports/hurd/
genode.org/news/sculpt-for-the-curious
redox-os.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia
fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
genode.org/download/sculpt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, it sucked, was slower, and had to be scrapped.

That's what I heard, but I never used it.

It's a microkernel architecture, and not a particularly recent one. In our post-L4 world, the performance issue from my understanding is pretty much just FUD, but with HURD still being Mach-based, it's probably gonna be completely shit.

It could have actually developed into the dominant OS though. I get that impression from quotes that were made in the early 90s.
Here's Linus Torvalds:
>I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu)
>I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got minix.
Here's Andy Tanenbaum:
>But in all honesty, I would suggest that people who want a modern "free" OS look around for a microkernel-based, portable OS, like maybe GNU or something like that.

But once Linux started developing fast and getting attention, GNU just kinda gave up on HURD and attached their userland to the Linux kernel, creating the OS we have today.
It does kinda make me wonder what HURD could have achieved and developed into had Linux never existed. Maybe it would've been a better world? Maybe we're better off with Linux? you decide

Attached: 3d-gnu-head.jpg (580x560, 145K)

>Microkernel
>Faster than monolithic kernel
No.

A microkernel is slower than a monolithic one. It will always be slower, so our machines would probably be slower. There are some situations IRL where you need a system that relies on a microkernel design. For regular PC users and even most web servers, this is not important.

HURD never came out because the FSF hired some academics to build it, and academics are slow as fuck on purpose because for them its all about research. If they finished their research/project the gibs might stop coming in. So they procrastinate. Meanwhile, Torvalds was a hobbyist just trying to build something useful for himself and he was motivated to actually get it working in quick order.

I want to try a micro-kernal and being a bit of a GNU fanboy HURD seemed like a natural choice, but with all these bad things I'm hearing about it I'm wondering what alternatives there are for someone who wants to give something like it a try?

There's a debian port why don't you check it out? cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/latest/hurd-i386/

If the timestamps are to be believed, the system is updated an on active development.

Plan 9 achieved what Hurd was trying to be in a more simple way more or less. But we all know what was it's fate, it's always the "good enough" principle

There are no really usable microkernel OSes, but i'll list them if you wanna try em all out or look into them.
Old/going nowhere ones:
>Minix3
download.minix3.org/iso/snapshot/
wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=www:documentation:start
>HURD
debian.org/ports/hurd/

Newer/has a future ones:
>Genode
genode.org/news/sculpt-for-the-curious
>Redox OS
redox-os.org/
>Fuchsia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia

>kernal

Shittiest logo ever

bimp

It's not supposed to be faster. It's supposed to be FREE. The Linux kernel contains non-free binary blobs

It's still in development.

Enjoy!
fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

Attached: 100gnu+freedo.png (360x200, 58K)

>intel GPUs loads binary blob from BIOS, which is ok
>amd loads a small firmware from the os which is a HUGE ISSUE FOR FREEDOM

>implying I use BIOS

also licensing killed plan 9

>That's what I heard

Attached: fred.jpg (1200x1200, 122K)

Doesn't guixsd use Hurd?

Linux, the kernel*

Nope. GuixSD is a GNU/Linux distro.
Its init system was originally meant for HURD though, and I think there was some work to get the Guix package manager working on HURD.

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything

I'd JUST Like to INtERJEct fOr a mOment whaT YOU'RE ReFErrING to as hUrd is IN FACT GNU/hUrD oR as I'Ve recentLY taKeN tO CALLIng iT gNU pLUs HURD hURD IS noT an oPEraTiNg systEM Unto Itself BUT RAthEr aNOthER free cOMpoNENT of A fUllY FunCtiONING GNu SYstEm maDe UsEFUl BY THE gNu cOreliBs SheLl UTILITiEs ANd VITAl SyStEm ComponenTS CoMprISiNg A FULl OS aS dEFiNED by posiX

GAHNOO/TURD

They are working on a port
That said, GuixSD is more of a tech demo than a real, usable distro

Much like every other freetard, they have literally zero skill or sense at designing anything aesthetic or usable from a creative or UX standpoint

It's really embarrassing, and Jow Forums has always/probably always will defend this shit just to be hipster

GuixSD is a GNU distro. The GNU Linux-libre kernel is under the GNU umbrella and doesn't need special mention.

plan9 license was the worst shit ever
how many changes was it?
and it only got worse and worse

either go fully comercial or fully free
not this back and forth that killed any interest in the product on both sides

>hating the hurd boxes
Shit taste detected

you can use the package manager in pretty much any linux distro.
and it's not even half bad.

wonder where this will go after some more testing

"Commerical" is not the opposite of free software. Perhaps you meant proprietary.

And of those Fuchsia is the only one with a real future due to it being capability based. Of course there's also the possibility of a botnet.

TURD would be bore appropriate

I tried it a couple years ago in a VM, I was able to run awesome wm, firefox and emacs. If it had wifi and usb drivers I'd put it on hardware and use it for real.

>no mention of QNX
cereally, bro?

No, not at all. But speed isn't really the point. The point is security and stability. Microkernels are great because theoretically you would never have to reboot the system, and the system would be nearly impossible to crash. You also get stuff like driver isolation which can add security. HURD will never get anywhere. It's a dead project.

Try SculptOS. It's pretty damn fast.
>genode.org/download/sculpt

Attached: 2018-06-13-desktop-tc.png (1920x1080, 703K)

Closed source and has no software. Aside from the embedable UI, there's nothing good about QNX.

>A microkernel is slower than a monolithic one. It will always be slower, so our machines would probably be slower.
This is false. It was true in a traditional Von Neumann uni-processor architecture (or at most 2~4 cores). In a post-Von Neumann world like we live right now it's really sad to see that programming paradigms still make shitty assumptions about code, caches, single threading, non-virtual memory addresses, lack of pre-fetching, etc etc. In a better world, had we evolved into more advanced micro-kernel/service-oriented architecture, maybe even with better programming paradigms (lisp, erlang, 'real' OOP with messaging and agents, etc), performance would be miles ahead on a microkernel setup than the garbage we have now.

Of course it will, but just like with Linux and Android, there will be privacy-respecting forks once it gets big enough.
Also I agree with it definitely having a future. Mainly due to Google being able to sell anything to normies.

Stop being autistic, the OP was specifically asking for the kernel (Hurd vs Linux)

Microkernels are more thoroughly multithreaded so they could potentially be faster on highly multicore machines.
BTW, anyone who knows x86 assembly, the HURD guys could use your help. GNUMach supports multicore today, but it wasn't written for x86 processors. Anyone who can port the multicore code to x86 would be a great help.

Every OS that doesn't have to support drivers from millions of devices, and run on anything ever, is "better" than Linux.
The problems aren't in the core of the OS, but with everything related to it.

T U R D

Attached: microsoft pajeet.png (557x647, 614K)

Yeah I'm sure you'll find a lot of help on Jow Forums asking for that.
Personally, I'll stick to working on and contributing to fuchsia. Hurd has run its course.

Is Fuschia even posix?

explan moar

Attached: confused.jpg (500x500, 111K)