The current state of Linux

Is this the power of free software?

Attached: 1517991153745.png (1261x727, 1.08M)

Thank god, we're gonna make SJW normies not wanna get involved

just use kde. its better than the rest for quite some time noe.

I've not used my desktop in years. The only people I know who do are very casual users.

I've been disabling desktop icons for years. This is good is it not?

Now I use a tiling manager where it's never been a feature.

Linux is a kernel, and nobody is forced to use shitnome as DE

>A pretty large part of the Linux desktop experience is going to shit; AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!

>going to shit
>removing a largely unused feature
nice try

Icons is niggasoftware

I'm a winfag using pirated win10 and not even I'm retarded enough to use desktop icons.

Attached: 1529163933618.jpg (491x491, 68K)

>he likes clutter on his desktop
you don't need desktop icons user
this

>Thank god, we're gonna make SJW normies not wanna get involved
We already run the world you retarded boomer

After this disaster of a presidency Hillary is going to have an easy run for a two term

Blue wave, retard

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1514158352505.jpg (300x357, 13K)

>using GNOME

Nothing wrong with 5-10 desktop icons for items you are working on have worked on within the past 2 weeks. It is people that use it for long term storage and have 100 icons that should be castrated.

How are you defending REMOVING places to put files that the user wishes to do on their own machine? What is there to gain from deliberately removing this option? Linux users really are fucking retarded.

GNOME 3 has done more to facilitate the adoption of the linux desktop than any desktop environment that came before it.
Try installing it on a computer that's not a 10 year old cum encrusted shitpad, it runs beautifully well and is extremely polished, it doesn't seem like some trashy "poorfag os".
Who needs desktop icons anyway?
They're not even enabled by default in previous releases.

I launch everything from the terminal and so does every other respecting human bean. There are many DE's dude. Not everything is the same in every Linux distro like how Windows is. Linux is just a kernel.

If you're not using plasma you deserve what's coming.

Attached: 1525979345135.jpg (377x567, 19K)

>removing a largely unused feature

source: your ass. How would you even know what other people are using

GNOME also got rid of running programs by double clicking them lol

>muh freedom

I don't know if you know this but GNOME is not the default DE for many distros and can be changed very easily. It's not a pre-set Linux thing like say Windows Explorer is for Windows. This is why it's really not that much of an issue, people can just not use Gnome, or, (like 70% of Linux users), don't use Gnome in the first place

>not using Neon or Solus

Linux is a kernel.

>being this mad because you don't have desktop cubes
Stay jelly, windowsfags.

Attached: compiz-fusion-plugins-extra.png (700x525, 298K)

GNOME isn't part of Linux. Linux is a kernel.

Attached: dude.png (514x508, 20K)

KDE BTFO's Gnome in pretty much every aspect that makes a good Desktop environment
Less memory usage
Entirely customizable
Has fucking desktop icons
Keeps adding new features instead of removing vital ones,and calling it an "invention" like shit Apple

I have never used a single desktop environment that had working desktop icons. 80% of the time clicking/dragging them just does nothing. Or they're just missing altogether. My experience is based on Unity, Cinnamon and XFCE.

I am guessing the GNU lads just realized that making working desktop icons is not possible with current tech and just scrapped the whole idea.

>unity that low
Unlikely, Ubuntu has the largest user base of all distros. Unless this is a new survey?

But I meant how would you know who uses desktop icons and who doesn't? And even if only like, 10% or 5% of the people use them it still means that it is a NEEDED FEATURE.

I don't use desktop icons, but literally what is the fucking point of doing this?

Ubuntu doesn't even ship Unity anymore. Now they ship GNOME.

What's the appeal of using a desktop environment anyways? Might as well just use MacOS or windows.

>2018
>icons on desktop

Attached: 1518031294465.jpg (461x400, 25K)

No, it isn't needed. Just because some people are too fucking stupid to operate a computer without desktop icons, does not mean it is absolutely necessary. I don't give a fuck about alienating those people. They can find some other shitty software to use. It is irrelevant in 2018 for anyone who actually knows how to use a computer.

The last time I tried GNOME, their on-screen keyboard lacked important keys, and even worse had a broken shift key simlaton

Icons are disorganized and ugly as fuck

Gnome is shooting itself in the foot there. Back to KDE when that happens for me probably, although I really like cinnamon too.

>actually defending the removal of an useful feature
lol

>useful
that's the point, it isn't at all useful

>acting as if Gnome respresents the majority of linux power users.

Does anyone even use desktop icons, or are you just shit posting?

>If I don't use it, nobody should
GNOMEcucks should listen to their users instead of sipping coffee at starbucks and believing that users want simplistic shit

>everyone does what I do: every Loonix enthusiast ever

People like you are why Linux will always be hobbyware pajeetshit.

only win fags use desktop icons. ask yourself, when was the last time you used desktop icons?

>have to use the terminal because his DE sucks so much
Reminder that GNOMEcucks unironically thought that desktops would adopt touchscreens

>he doesn't download to desktop and sort after a week

Attached: rofl.jpg (480x357, 19K)

I don't care. Why should I want regulars on my secret kernel?

Who the fuck uses desktop icons anyway?

I am one of their users dumbfuck

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNOME, is in fact, GNU/GNOME, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNOME. GNOME is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Ubuntu", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a GNOME, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNOME is the desktop environment: the programs in the system that allow the user to interact with it. The desktop environment is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNOME is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with GNOME added, or GNU/GNOME. All the so-called "GNOME" distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNOME.

Even worse
>sorting downloads

Where will my downloads go if I can't use my desktop.

Attached: Oh my goodness.jpg (501x386, 71K)

Attached: cruise.jpg (600x400, 42K)

Removing options is not usually a good thing, but it's pretty much the GNOME trademark. They remove features because it makes their life easier. I remember when they removed the feature to have a transparent terminal and when people asked for it back they answered "No". That was the whole answer.

I don't personally ever put anything on the desktop and it's free of icons even at this very moment, so this change wouldn't affect me even if I would use GNOME.

Ever been in any kind of real world office?

Why is removing functionality a good thing

Opening an app in Gnome
>move mouse to top left and click
>move mouse to center left and click
>move mouse to somewhere, could be other side of the screen, and click
Wow such convenience, much usability.

>not sorting downloads

>GNOME
>2018

Attached: dTGZBmL.jpg (531x471, 58K)

personally, I use the desktop as my downloads folder so I can delete after I'm done with them, and to store quick documents or reminders I'm working on.

>pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20180625_191326.png (476x1080, 267K)

Remind me how many times the GNOME desktop has been forked?

Well, you've gone this many years (decades?) without thumbnails in the filepicker, so we might as well get rid of desktop icons, too. These are obviously both great examples of "less being more" applied to software.

Attached: 1509132528658.png (1876x720, 405K)

Gnome? Yeah, okay. Don't think I ever intentionally used it.

I fucking hate gnomeshit, but this shit works like a charm with Nvidia unlike Plasma.

Attached: 1529783160366.jpg (501x501, 14K)

Attached: 1529523318835.gif (261x253, 1.44M)

this sounds like a cut and dry case of PEBKAC
this isn't even some kind of "works on my machine issue

Gnome is shit, use kde

>super key
>type the application
>enter
:^)

dmenu is better

Only secretaries and grandmas use desktop icons, you spazoid.

it honestly is but gnome is more keyboard focused than other DE's and that's what I like about it but too bad it's so bloated. I'm pretty sure it won't get as much hate if it actually ran better and used less resources but at this point that's impossible

I don't feel I deserve KDE's random freezing and crashing, though.

>vital
t.wangdows user

In a nutshell.

don't say that user. the kde shills will slaughter you if you call their DE buggy or bloated. and they will make sure to write two or three paragraphs on why their DE is completely perfect and how you should never give it any type of criticism

Free software = no legal recourse for when shit inevitably goes wrong.

KDE > Gaynome

Attached: Asuka_vs_Rei.webm (640x360, 384K)

The linux desktop experience was always shit

>not knowing elemental or deepin exists

There's a Gnome/Ubuntu clique that dominates the desktop experience now.

I await the KDE/Antergos revolution.

>not having a completely clean and empty desktop

fucking disgusting

Desktop icons are legitimately bad UX though. Pin your apps to the dock and folders in the file manager. Nobody remotely tech literate that I know uses desktop icons be they on OSX or Windows. It's just 50 year old boomers that treat it like "My Documents" but without automatic sorting.

>removes something nobody uses with only the default configuration
so?

ps. this is from someone who hates gnome3, one reason being that they've removed too much useful functionality
but desktop icons? na, putting things besides windows on the desktop is bad practice. even in the desktop metaphor, icons on the desktop is like leaving files you're done with on your desk. put that shit away!

>"""Desktop"""
boomer detected

-- oh, and besides being messy, it's also just not convenient
i don't know about you, but my desktop is 99% of the time covered by windows
if you need quick access to a subset of things, that's what the start menu/taskbar/equivalent is for

>"""thing i don't like"""
>boomer
gen z snowflake detected

low quality bait

this is like the software version of putting blank keycaps on your keyboard
woah no desktop icons what a hacker
>meanwhile real functionality improvements ignored

I've got an exclusive preview of GNOME 4.0

Attached: gnome.png (1440x900, 6K)

Dark theme when.

Themes were removed in the first beta

Wangtards do realise that you don't have to use the default DE or the default DE settings, right? Or is the concept of controlling your own machine alien to them at this point?

It's not going to affect me since I already have desktop icons disabled on my gnome, but it's still going to suck so much for people who use it for their desktops.

>2018
not having icons on the desktop

Attached: https _blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com_uploads_card_image_595423_b3763d14-9f7d-4dbe-9f17-9 (1200x900, 112K)

Attached: 1511553676162.jpg (680x680, 37K)

Finally, HER turn was skipped.

This meme is getting out of hand

Linux is a kernel. Gnome is an app.

When you learn why supporting hillary is a terrible mistake, you might start to see the path to making the left great again and getting the right wing boomers out of the power.

But meanwhile, enjoy Trump.