Is an i5 4690k still good for vidya in 2018, or should I upgrade my mobo...

Is an i5 4690k still good for vidya in 2018, or should I upgrade my mobo? Want to upgrade from a G3258 since it bottlenecks my GPU (RX 580) but it's still around 200 CAD where I live

Attached: 9ff1378daf80d9b923597e99d02fe021.jpg (1280x960, 120K)

You're fine but you shouldn't buy any tech that fucking old for that much money.

I've had 4670k for 5 years now. For gaming and general use it's more than enough. My only complaint is that only 4 cores is not that fast when it comes to video editing and such

Exactly, good goy's drop their current platform altogether to buy a new motherboard and ddr4 RAM at insane rates to get a cpu that aside from a couple of extra cores brings absolutely nothing to the table over Haswell.

Be a good goy and buy the ddr4, OP, micron/samsung going to need your dosh when China is done with them.

a 4790k is worth it if you can get it for a bit more. The hyperthreading makes it more future proof than the i5. Just look up i3 with and without hyperthreading and see the massive difference in frames, you can expect a similar difference between an i5 and i7 eventually.

Can confirm.
Currently on i7 3770, no regrets

>ht
look at tlbleed my nigga

maybe if my pc doubled as a cloud server or i allowed non-trusted javascript to run in my browser (which will be rolling out protections against it anyway soon) or i downloaded sketchy shit, you know all the things that attacked consumers in the past that haven't changed just due to the introduction new attack vectors?

But people will parrot these security 'flaws' without any critical thinking until the end of time.

you know they will patch it, and you know it's going to have massive performance impacts. they can't just leave a hole this big open.

My web browser is basically the only entry point and yes, they will patch it, it will probably slow down some but with my cpu, 90% of instant is till instant.

I will not patch it on the system level so I will experience no slowdowns in any other application be it in games or image editing.

Imagine that.

It's still decent for games, but not sure if it's worth 200 CAD, there is also the 4770K which should be cheaper.

An i5 from 2014 is in no way worth 200
Cad, thats crazy talk. You would be better off getting a 8th gen i3 or a amd 2400g with a b400 series motherboard

>buy 4790k in 2015 for like $320
>buy 32gb DDR3 1600mhz at same time for around $120

I thought i'd have to upgrade at some point in the future, but no, it looks like everything went downhill from there. Who else is majorly fucking disappointed with what a shitshow the past three years have been for desktops?

I have the k version, its still on par with many processors on the current market.

>Is an i5 4690k still good for vidya in 2018, or should I upgrade my mobo?
no. You'll want to upgrade the platform and spend money on a good platform. The best platform at the moment is AMD's AM4 platform paired with a Ryzen 5 CPU, preferably a 6 core/12 thread at bare minimum.

I don't even need to stress about CPU, got a 4k monitor last week and now I'm considering upgrading my r9 fury.
Going to wait for next gen before deciding though, have to stick with AMD for freesync unfortunately.

Retard unless you can find a Haswell system buying each part will be more time consuming and may not even save much

Try getting a 4790k OP

no thanks. IPC too low

I'm on an i7-4790 (non-k) and it's absolutely fine. I can't fit anything faster than a gt 1030 in my tiny case, but most games usually run with 15-40% CPU utilisation. Runs CEMU fine and encodes x264 video pretty quickly. That's what I mainly care about

do you read, retard? OP already has a G3258, meaning he already has an lga 1150 motherboard, probably an overclocking one at that if he fell for the anniversary pentium meme, as well as RAM. There's no way ugrading to a new platform which includes a brand new cpu, mobo, and hyperfuck priced ddr4 RAM is going to be a better price/performance proposition than simply getting a sufficiently higher end haswell chip such as a 4790k.

Attached: ss_2018-04-12_at_02.21.32.jpg (867x444, 125K)

wh𝐚t's the n𝐚me of th𝐚t grill

who is th𝘢t grill

Shes a sexy phox

rainbowplayfags get out

Watch out for your mobo bro, I had that chip running 4.5 on an AIO for four years before the Mobo decided it wanted to take a shit after a reboot and the only decently priced Z97 board I've seen available is a Super micro mATX board that costs $150

Going off eBay prices (with shipping). Some auctions I can find for 150-180 but they change. It sucks that Haswell cpus are still so expensive but there's not much I can do

no
i had one from 2014-2018 and it was shit so slow got 30fps minimum and was at 100% in every game since 2016
Its decent for 30fps but total shit for 60fps anything under 100fps is off the table even at 2k/4k res

>Its decent for 30fps but total shit for 60fps anything under 100fps is off the table even at 2k/4k res
Sounds like the problem was your GPU
Did you even overclock the 4690k?

Is my 2500k still gud?

no. death to the quad cores. it's about fucking time.

Why would it die only after a reboot? Were things screwy before that?

2500k is fine unless you have a high end GPU and/or game at very low resolutions. Consider overclocking it if you haven't already done so.

No, that was the weirdest thing it showed no signs of anything going to shit
Accidently hit the sleep button on my keyboard and it would never awaken if you hit the same button in the years I owned it so I did what I usually did
>held the power button until completely powered off
>wait 15-30 seconds
>hit the power button to fire it up
Except it would act like it was going to boot, then stop after ~8 seconds and try again
It did that nonstop so I tried to follow guides about this to see if it was a memory module, but it none of them worked, not even a single 4GB stick
The only difference was about a year ago I added two more sticks of 4GB to increase my RAM to 16GB and went quad channel instead of dual

It sounds more like a software or hard drive issue. Did you update anything before rebooting? If RAM was bad, you would have been getting kernel panics and blue screens.

Already replaced it with a Ryzen 2400G and a Asus TUF B350 mATX, nothing changed between the death and the new cpu/board and it fired right up, just had to use MST because microshaft said Win10 wasn't valid
If it was software related or a hard drive issue I wouldn't be using it to this day

yes for general use very fast with a ssd.
for gaming its barely low end
for actual workloads its not even as fast as a base ryzen or i5

i have a 4690k with hyper evo cooler and I can play pretty much play anything I want without any issues (stock clock). Games like witcher 3 and pubg run like their meant to. the only games I noticed that I cant really go above medium is BF1 and FO4. But in general its solid