Tfw you're not a swaplet

>tfw you're not a swaplet

Attached: tfw_when_youre_not_a_swaplet.png (701x170, 17K)

Why would you do that? What type of drive is it?

You really only need enough swap to store your entire RAM + some. Not your entire harddrive user.

>being a swapboy
When will they learn?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-26 02-23-36.png (824x45, 7K)

What year are you in?

Fucking why

>Inb4 it's a RAMdisk being used as swap

>16GB RAM
>b-but I have a lot of swap, guys
Nice try, ramlet

when does linux use swap other than when hibernating?

>You really only need enough swap to store your entire RAM + some
Isn't this still recommended? I'd consider sleep/hibernate essential functionality and those won't function without an adequate amount of SWAP.

Will swap speed increase, if I use multiple swap partitions on different physical drives?

when you are about to run out of memory
it happens to me quite often

Why would anyone do that.

Because they're OP

>not a swaplet

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-26 14-02-51.png (1597x700, 120K)

ok this is somehow even more retarded than the OP

>having a swap partition at all
Faggot.

Attached: Screenshot_20180626_081020.png (776x600, 58K)

>tfw 2.5 TB HDD cheaper than 16gb RAM

>record expensive RAM
>buy just 8GB DDR4
>add 120GB Optane
>make it all swap
>???
>profit

>"muh sleep/hibernate"
The best part about OpenSUSE is that mobile power management is flawless out of the box.
>shut laptop lid
>don't know what it does, don't even care
>it goes into low power mode (losing 2-5% every 12 hours)
Tell me again why I need swap.

Attached: 1529853796042.jpg (657x527, 45K)

hibernate turns off the computer completely but saves the current state. That low power mode is still powered on

Sounds fucking gay. If I want my machine powered off I'll do it myself.

There's completely powered off and then there's powered off but with the state of the computer saved. The second option is hibernate. It's like sleep but it uses no power.

>Sounds fucking gay. If I want my machine powered off I'll do it myself.
Why shouldn't your operating system support hibernate/sleep?
>don't know what it does, don't even care
Thanks a lot.

I know what it is, and it's retarded. Windows calls it "hybrid shutdown" or something like that.

>Why shouldn't your operating system support hibernate/sleep?
Why should it?

Are both of you dumbfucks too lazy to close a couple of windows and save your work and press a button to power off? Are your chinkshit batteries so weak that you'll have a power cut if you leave the lid shut for 30 minutes? I'm not wasting several GBs of my SSD on swap. Fuck yourselves.

Attached: 6caauy-z1wxZSC.gif (448x487, 1.71M)

Swap is good.

>not having the best of both worlds
if anything, you're the retard here.

No, you are. Go swapoff -a right now, fag.

vm.swappiness=1

Pic related is an old sdcard which I would almost be upset about the fact that the space was wasted, since I only have ever used a couple of mb's of...

Attached: swap.jpg (190x64, 14K)

What is a swap anyway?

>you are too lazy to do X
That's a general argument against computer and automation.

I'd say it could be a questionable to way run a large in-memory database without the memory, but then you wouldn't have a GUI on a database server.

>Are both of you dumbfucks too lazy to close a couple of windows and save your work and press a button to power off?
Why should I inconvenience myself like that? There's no need for 500 GB swap partitions.
>Are your chinkshit batteries so weak that you'll have a power cut if you leave the lid shut for 30 minutes?
I wasn't talking about laptops, but how exactly does your sleep/hibernate function? I'm assuming your partitions were automatically assigned.

For 99% of users with 8+GB ram, it is never going to come up. You have to be working with insane virtual memory requirements to start putting serious pressure on malloc if you are running w/out swap/page files. The only things i can think of that we could expect to see around here:
>100 chrome tabs or 6+ instances of visual studio exhausts main memory
>Extreme fragmentation of main memory by some asshole process allocating and freeing random sized memory chunks like nuts
>Maybe a very small handful of games might occasionally see issues. AAA titles are usually tested and developed for these pathological scenarios and typically survive at least 24 hours at a stretch before malloc dies

Attached: No_Escape.gif (221x196, 410K)