/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: freedom.jpg (1079x1302, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/zd1211-firmware/
gitlab.com/leewdch/dotfiles/raw/master/.local/bin/neoopus.sh
gitlab.com/leewdch/dotfiles/raw/master/.local/bin/opus.sh
theregister.co.uk/2018/06/25/ubuntu_user_data_early_release/
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
osdn.net/projects/manjaro/storage/kde/17.1.10/manjaro-kde-17.1.10-stable-x86_64.iso.torrent/
gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multiboot_USB_drive#Using_GRUB_and_loopback_devices
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How does /fglt/ do backups? I have an SSD with few partitions (boot, home, root) and I'd like to back them up. I'd also like the backups to be encrypted. Oh, and I'd like to have something that's maybe incremental so I don't have to copy gigs of data every time I back up.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Thanks in advance bros!

Attached: 1529863818069.jpg (1920x1080, 236K)

Just noticed there was a new thread so Im posting again.

So I want to extend my /home directory using the free space I took from my windows partition.
Gparted looks like pic related.

I need some insight into how would I go about doing that.

thanks Jow Forums

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-26 14-35-11.png (1280x800, 125K)

Reposting this question

# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.8G 26M 3.8G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 3.8G 2.1M 3.8G 1% /run
tmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/fedora-root 27G 20G 6.2G 76% /
tmpfs 3.8G 32K 3.8G 1% /tmp
/dev/sda5 976M 189M 721M 21% /boot
tmpfs 777M 12K 777M 1% /run/user/42
tmpfs 777M 36K 777M 1% /run/user/1000

# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 232.9 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x22de601d

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 1026047 1024000 500M 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 1026048 392853509 391827462 186.9G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 424310784 425969663 1658880 810M 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
/dev/sda4 425973697 487411711 61438015 29.3G f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 425973760 428070911 2097152 1G 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 428072960 487411711 59338752 28.3G 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/mapper/fedora-root: 27.3 GiB, 29305602048 bytes, 57237504 sectors

Disk /dev/mapper/fedora-swap: 1 GiB, 1073741824 bytes, 2097152 sectors

anyone else have zd1211-firmware pop up in their AUR? I didn't install it but now it has an "update"

aur.archlinux.org/packages/zd1211-firmware/

was it deprecated and removed from the normal arch repo? I have had stuff installed that was removed from the arch repo then it would show up in the AUR

What does everybodys .bashrc look like?

Shrink the grey bits in GParted.

interesting, that may be the case

is there a good alternative for GlassWire available on Linux?

What's the best way to download a very large file stored on a Linux server over an unstable connection?

Im not sure what you mean in shrinking the unallocated space.

so my thought process is as follows:
>create rescue USB
>boot from there
>execute Gparted
>delete windows recovery partition in the middle of lunux and unallocated space cause who needs that shit
>add unallocated space to Linux partition
>expand the logical partition inside the primary partition.

Im just not well versed in terminal-fu to execute all those commands so I hope I dont break something..

any additional suggestions would be welcome.

Why is every music player for linux objectively terrible?

rsync with --partial

How do I rsync on windows?

To keep whinning little bitches like you at windows and your epik shitbar 2k

foobar2000 is shit too

Extend/shrink partitions around the grey bits.
You didn't say which partition is your ~ partition, so just shrink whatever is next to it and expand ~ into it.

use jdownloader

>What's the best way to do something with the worst possible tool set available?

There's a bunch of podcasts in iTunes that I'd like to listen to, how do I do that on Ubuntu?

F2K & Musicbee are thousand times better than their Linux alts, lol; they were all so shit that it's better to run buggy foobar with WINE than any of the linux ones.

First, check if you can grab those from torrents/other "unauthorized filesharing" sites
If no avail, Windows+iTunes in VM

They are free podcasts, only require iTunes. I guess they might be elsewhere too.
>Windows+iTunes in VM
Cock

I use cygwin.

How do I lock the sound volume output so that it doesn't go over a certain decibel level? I've tried pulseaudio control, different mixer, etc, but none of them seem to have the option to lock sound volume.

if im a fucking retard should I install void? or will I get confused? I've never used linux before

Attached: erqtre.png (1600x900, 345K)

Mistakenly formated the wrong 2TB HDD (quick format) is there a distro that can be used to recover it unto my other 2TB HDD and does a live version of said distro exist?

>that font rendering

Attached: 1355299058815.png (811x559, 31K)

its not mine, I just found it on the intarnets

It's honestly not that complicated. Only problem you might run into is the lack of documentation, even for the simplest of tasks. Arch Wiki will still provide you w/ tons of info, but you'll need to adapt, since Void is quite the unique distro.
Still, using runit is a breeze. Package manager is solid. It's lightweight, installation is curses-based. I use it on almost all my machines and I've only had a few issues with it.
General rule of thumb is to start with Debian for /hsg/-tier shit. Use one of the *buntus or Mint if you're absolute babby tier and just want to breath new life into a laptop for simple tasks.

What do people get out of desktop setups like that? For me it looks hugely unproductive and I code about 18 hours a day.

void doesn't come with that setup

Nothing.
Look at the resolution.
It's just meme ricing.

I´m currently dual booting W7 and Ubuntu 18.04. I´ve been using mostly Ubuntu lately and after booting W7 to do a couple of things I realized how fucking sluggish Ubuntu feels.

Now my question, is this Gnome´s fault? Will it make a difference if I switch to KDE?

It's Gnome's fault. Install Manjaro KDE and check the difference.

Anyway to make Octopi bypass pic ralated?

Attached: Screenshot_20180626_081610.png (1189x612, 62K)

Setting GOPATH and addidng ~/.bin, /usr/sbin, and $GOPATH/bin to PATH are the only custom things I do. Otherwise, it's just the default Debian one.

Hi all
Is checksum the best way to make sure some huge files are identical?
That's the first that comes to mind but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great
>diff
I haven't used it on huge files I don't know the performance

2-3 independent checksums in addition to the most braindead comparison: size should be enough even for the most fedora situations.

>fedora
*tinfoil

Size comparison? How does that make sense?

If two files differ in size then they are definitely not identical.

Attached: 1477413819013.jpg (680x598, 54K)

Yeah no shit
If two files are the same size it doesn't mean they're identical
How does zipping affect this?
I don't think size comparison will do

I've wondered about this myself on mega-big files.

Take two files that are 20GB in size. That can take some time to checksum. (Especially if you are poor like me)

There must be some way to run sha1sum or the others so you can "sample" 100MB intervals of the file at several positions to get some level of confidence as to if they're identical or not.

Say you start from 0MB to 100MB and hash that. You get $FileA_HashA
Then you seek to 1GB and read to 1.1GB, hash that. You get $FileB_HashB
Continue for file A and maintain that array of hashes.
Meanwhile, do the same for file B and maintain that array of hashes.
Compare the hashes as you go and at the very least you may be able to prove the file is NOT identical faster than you can prove the file IS identical.

Yes however if You rely on that information that is a lot of time
Let's suppose you have a database of those files and You need to do that against every item it gets ugly fast
This might be premature optimization but it's not that far reaching because everyone should checksum of the bat

>2-3 independent checksums in addition to
IN
ADDITION
TO
You fucking brainlet. Learn to read.
>How does zipping affect this?
Two things again, you retard.
-NOBODY compares a file with a zipped version of it
-Even if someone wants this, most compressors store checksums and filesizes.

tl;dr Stop posting.

what is wrong with my script gitlab.com/leewdch/dotfiles/raw/master/.local/bin/neoopus.sh

Attached: 1519161632371.png (1600x900, 277K)

First of all calm down, You're not accomplishing anything I'm saying it for Your own good because
>tilted online
Also
>what is malware
Basic

Typical retarded Arch derivative user.

Anyone?

I installed manjaro, but I have an issue where the sound will glitch or skip.
I tried following the arch wiki for pulseaudio issues, I think it has to do with ommu intel since the other fix didn't work, but I don't know how to add a parameter to the kernel in manjaro. How do I add it and make persistent?
Also, is it possible to use any other thing instead of pulseaudio? Maybe that will also help.

if you are using grub you can add kernel parameters in /etc/default/grub using GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. when you are done remember to generate a new grub config with grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg or wherever the system put the grub config

seriously its just firefox

Search gist.github, github and gitlab for bashrc.

I'm already on my second install of Ubuntu after fucking up last week.

If I can get this to work without formatting I'd appreciate it.

fdupes does what you want. Read how it works internally.

Why don't you just use libopus with ffmpeg?

0. Don't make any write operations to the disk
1. Take a full sector-by-sector backup of the disk to your "working" disk (use ddrescue or clonezilla for this)
2. use photorec or testdisk to recover your data

libopus isn't supported by this site. I just tried uploading a webm with libopus and it said I use a bad audio encoder. I gave up on that format and used two different commands for pipes. there is redundancy in the script but at least it works gitlab.com/leewdch/dotfiles/raw/master/.local/bin/opus.sh

Theres always VMs.

Thanks my guy!

Wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in /sqt/ but here goes: Can someone explain to me the advantages of using ansible over cssh? I have always just memorized what I need to do and then done it in cssh. Is ansible really just "macros for cssh" like I think it is?

The reason I ask is everyone is constantly going off about how you NEED to know ansible these days and I feel like a total brainlet when I see this and think "can't you just do this with cssh?"

Attached: 1528324801242.jpg (1148x746, 147K)

Could you hypothetically run Linux on a sufficiently sophisticated abacus?
I think it would be cool to build an x86 compatible wooden abacus, with some kind of display based on physical tiles or something, and run Linux on it

How do you feel about this?
theregister.co.uk/2018/06/25/ubuntu_user_data_early_release/

Attached: ubuntu_desktop_data_collection_selection_dialog_screenshot.png (442x293, 47K)

Clonezilla for manual offline backup and Bacula/Rsnapshot for online incremental automated backups.
Bacula is pretty hard to set up initially but gives you fuckton of options while rsnapshot is really simple and does not need anything except ssh and rsync on the client.

Don't do this to yourself. Even assuming you had the raw materials and necessary real estate, you'd be sitting there milling the damn crank for weeks before you even get a bash prompt to show up. And even then, you'd probably just have a hardware failure before ever getting there, due to the harsh limitations your choice of material puts on precision.
Even if you did get it to work, it would be a massive waste of lumber and real estate, considering smaller and far superior models made of more sustainable materials already exist.

So, I fucked up my Gentoo install after i compiled my initramfs using the wrong configuration. I did backup my old configuration when it was working fine. Can I boot my system with a livecd of some kind and recompile it or do I need to reinstall my system?

After checking this

linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

I keep seeing people saying that installing KDE on top of Ubuntu is not a good idea.

Should I just format and go with Kubuntu instead? I've already have most of my shit working here but damn, everything feels so slow.

manjaro-kde-17.1.10-stable-x86_64.iso.torrent.

do it

Why do you want me to not install Kubuntu 18.04 LTS instead?

Is it possible to do mkdir -p folder/{a,b,c} in Busybox / sh? I can do it fine in bash, but when I try to run it in sh using Busybox, it only creates a folder {a,b,c} instead of three subfolders.

bcuz canonical is a pile of shit. better off getting debian or devuan

Well, if it's something a beginner like me can use I'm up for it.

I think I've had enough of gnome with just two weeks.

Every distro has the same de options. Just different repo/package management release schedules.

osdn.net/projects/manjaro/storage/kde/17.1.10/manjaro-kde-17.1.10-stable-x86_64.iso.torrent/

Believe me, you don't want a clusterfuck of gnome and kde processes conflicting with each other. If you want to learn a little bit more of Linux then go ahead and install KDE on top of Gnome but it won't fix shit.

No. What the heck do you do with busybox anyway?

I installed Gentoo and noticed that the network interfaces have old-style (eth0) names instead of new-style (enp3s0) names. Is that because the new-style names are something that systemd does? Or is it just an option that Gentoo leaves off by default?

I'll take your advice.

I went with Ubuntu because it is regarded as the most beginner friendly but honestly I'm not enjoying it at all.

Ubuntu *WAS* THE begginer distro but not anymore. There's user friendly distros all over the place now and when I say user friendly I mean with an easy installer and lots of programs that won't make the user go out and find shit they dont know how to install because it's already installed by default. Manjaro is great and OpenSuse is great and I don't recommend Ubuntu solely on principle.

If you want to get your hands a little bit dirty go with debian net install, upgrade yourself to debian sid, then from tty apt install xorg, synaptic, wicd, openbox, tint2

My main concern right now is getting something that works pretty much out of the box, isn't bloated as fuck and feels good to use, but Ubuntu is just tedious.

I'm studying web dev and I could benefit from using a linux distro, but I don't really have the time to get really in depth right now or spend a month distro hoping.

I'm downloading manjaro right now, thanks for your tips.

Deadbeef

I also have old style names on a systemd Gentoo. Figures I also just don't have the respective rules enabled.

But if you need the more predictable names, I figure systemd with a more default configuration might give you them.

Am I the only one who sometimes still has trouble with i3? I've been using it for years, but it still annoys me that some of the modes or properties on a container are invisible.

The one that bothers me the most is if I have a container set to tabbed mode and it only contains 1 window it is 100% indistinguishable from a normal container.
So if I open a new window for instance I cannot predict if it's going to go on top of the current active one in tabbed mode or spawn next to it horizontally

Also it seems like sometimes windows get deeply nested in containers and you cannot tell the difference. So for instance you might think you're working with
(container1 (window1) (container2 (window2) (window3)))
When you're actually working with
(container1 (window1) (container2 (container3 (window2) (window3))))

There's also some limitations that bother me. For instance, if I have 2 vertical windows (one on top of the other) which are taking up 30% of the screen horizontally and a 3rd window taking up the remaining 70%, I can preserve the relative widths and still switch the containers around horizontally.
HOWEVER, if the 3rd window is itself nested inside a container then it becomes impossible. Because moving anything in the direction of that container will make it "belong" to that container and when you move it out of the container on the other side it defaults back to 50%-50% widths.

I mean, these issues don't happen that often so I definitely still enjoy i3, but I can't help but be annoyed by them some times. Anyone else notice some minor annoyances or shortcomings too? Any tips?

Attached: 1520710599676.jpg (500x375, 111K)

HOLY FUCK

How in the SHIT do I get tmux to copy urxvt colors instead of overlaying it's own bullshit colors? I've tried default terminal and terminal overrides in tmux.conf. I've added the alias to bash. I've changed the declared colors in .Xresources.

God damn this shit is way more frustrating than it should be.

Attached: urxvt.webm (1024x768, 272K)

You use a truecolor terminal like st or one of the dozen other supported ones (rather than the 256 color thing that is urxvt) and just have the same shell colors on both? Ancient 256 color terminals [and even 16bit -> ~2xx color approximations] are annoying as fuck, just give up using them.

Doing it this way, it loads exactly the same shell colors as happens outside tmux. And the colors I can use in vim or whatever else aren't limited to some bullshit terminal color palette.

gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728

Is there a way to make a Live USB of multiple distros, booting from their ISOs?
That way I can just download the new release, instead of creating new Live USB every time the distro updates.

Attached: abMEMrb_700b.jpg (700x875, 118K)

The reason I switched is because you have to change st colors at compile (which I don't know how to do yet) while changing urxvt colors is right in xrdb.

This is fucking annoying any way you slice it.

> you have to change st colors at compile
No? I have no color configuration for st at all. It's just supporting truecolor as a terminal emulator. The color configuration is all for bash, zsh, vim...

Apart from that, there are a lot of other truecolor terminals on the list I linked. St is just tiny and easy to try.

Using my Linux distribution is the only familiar thing which prevents me from bursting out in tears due to being unable to handle my new life abroad or life in general.

you forgot the question

rule #1: check the arch wiki
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multiboot_USB_drive#Using_GRUB_and_loopback_devices

I just want to live in the digital world. It feels more real than the real world. The only thing I care about there is that they don't shut off my internet/power and that I have food and water to survive.
That's all I get out of it, and yet even the price for just that is extremely steep.

I've tried it, never really worked with anything not arch related.

Attached: aN131Dr_700b.jpg (700x1151, 102K)

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the background color.

Look at my webm again. I changed urxvt to a faint white to illustrate and the moment I activate tmux it turns dark.

I'm not talking about smooth text gradients at the moment but I'm sure it'll be a problem later.

it looks cool to the normons

There's a fork of st with xresources support called xst. However, your problem doesn't seem to be terminal related. It works for me without such problems (urxvt plus tmux).

I don't even think it looks cool at all. Too much boring black.

>warning: /usr/bin/pinentry installed as /usr/bin/pinentry.pacnew
What do I do here? I've never had a binary file installed as .pacnew before, why would this be done?