C++ Redistributables

Why does Microsoft do this? There isn't even a way to know what they are used for. I have to maintain a text file to manually keep track of them. Isn't there a better way?

Attached: C.png (850x455, 13K)

>I have to maintain a text file to manually keep track of them
Is this what autism looks like?

> i maintain textfile for c++ runtimes
What kind of autism is this?

Attached: 1519846765526.jpg (945x674, 53K)

It's so I know what I need to uninstall later.

You don't need to uninstall anything, spergo.

I also keep them open, and the task manager as well, at every moment so no task runs away when I don't look, becauses Jesus is always looking.

I have a small drive, so I uninstall games when I no longer play them instead of just taking up space, and they always leave behind all sorts of junk.

This is where the botnet hides

Get a bigger HDD and ignore the Redist packages, they are literally meant to be bloatware

why don't you drop msvc then. It's becoming a victim of microsoft's service doctrine anyway.

I just wish that it was possible to at least know which programs they are needed for. The only way to guess is to look at the dates but that can easily change with updates, or when you uninstall a program and the redistributables are left behind. I hate having random stuff that's not needed accumulate, like leftover folders.

Because proprietary shitware that the OS' maintainers cannot just re-compile for the latest C library using the latest C compiler they ship.

The biggest one is like 25mb. I think you do have autism.

actually you can uninstall all of the ones from the same bittage and year, and only install the latest one. eg 2008 x64 you only need 1 (the latest one).

it gets added whenever windows updates sees you need a new one though

also don't just install them just because. only install what you need, and nothing more. why? if you get infected by a virus that depends on a specific library to run, it's best to not have it! it's not high-level security, but every little bit helps.

I'm not referring to the size of the redistributables!

you used to have the same problem with visual basic runtimes and msxml runtimes too.

>also don't just install them just because. only install what you need, and nothing more. why? if you get infected by a virus that depends on a specific library to run, it's best to not have it! it's not high-level security, but every little bit helps.

The fuck did I just read

Some people just don't understand not wanting your computer to have junk on it.

Why are you still using Windows then?

>not statically linking your virus

Attached: 1503379886644.jpg (505x479, 11K)

yeah, his point is just don't delete them after uninstalling your game.
>inb4 bloat
yeah enjoy wasting precious amounts of your life uninstalling chit to save a few megabytes

bro you are literally wasting your limited time on earth on meaningless chit. please get your life together

Because I'm very familiar/good with it and it seems to just work (easily), even though it has randomly broken on me a few times (like Windows Update, but I was able to fix it). I've tried Linux a few times but I know very little about it and how to do stuff, and you have to go through loops to do seemingly simple things sometimes.

If you haven't turned hibernate off yet, you'll get far more space by getting rid of your hiberfil file than any of these.

Why would I want a long list of unnecessary stuff? It's not about the megabytes (the programs/games take up space). It takes seconds.

>I have to maintain a text file to manually keep track of them
lol

Attached: visual redist - Programs and Features.png (1000x723, 132K)

That's one of the first things I did, and again, my problem is not with the small amount of space that they take up.

If you care so much I suggest you start learning, on Linux when you uninstall a program you can uninstall everything it depends on along with it.

Please post this so called text file

Attached: 1526068949255.png (516x581, 319K)

Do you know a good place to start? I've tried Mint Mate but I don't feel comfortable because I don't know how to do basic stuff. The screen even tears by default.

It just has the program's name and then under it, indented, the two or so of the redistributables that it needs with the 86/64, year, and version number. It's really small, and I only update it when I install or uninstall a program that uses the redistributables.

So it shouldn't be too hard to post then

Attached: 1521093282456.png (233x255, 76K)

Why does it matter to you so much?

>windows doesnt hide information from users
>UGH WHAT IS ALL THIS C++ TRASH? UGHH UNINSTALLING UNINSTALLING... WAIT WHY DO MY PROGRAMS REFUSE TO WORK??
>windows hides information from users
>UGH WINDOWS STOP IM AN ADVANCED USER I NEED TO KNOW THIS STUFF!

no avatar fagging

ur a liar faggot

EVERYBODY, THIS GUY LIED

ONLINE!

Isn't there a better way?
static linking/packing, not sure if that's better

I think you guys are greatly overestimating how much I care and the small amount of effort needed. It's just that I've always thought that the built-in programs list on Windows is lacking, especially when it comes to these redistributables. Would it be so hard for it to say which program(s) need them, or to automatically uninstall them when the program that uses is it is uninstalled? Just basic things that are missing.

>Would it be so hard for it to say which program(s) need them, or to automatically uninstall them when the program that uses is it is uninstalled?
This info is not easily available and it's not worth the effort to look for, that's we're saying. This is a very usual thing for Microsoft to do with their software.

How come Linux can automatically remove dependencies like said? I don't know, it just seems like bad practice/design to me.

>it just seems like bad practice/design to me.
It is. Welcome to the Microsoft's Ecosystem. If you don't like it, you can always move to Linux or OSX.