/spg/ - Smartphone General

Hatsune Miku edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier
you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: DgnetEVVMAAGHT7.jpg (720x792, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

piunikaweb.com/2018/05/23/sony-xperia-xz2-reportedly-has-sd-card-read-write-speed-limitation/
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro-8893.php
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-global-64gb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are there chinese phones with wide angle camera lenses?

Planning on buying a 2017 flagship and my options are OP5T and S8. They still sell the 5T over here. Thing is, S8 is still a tad expensive. It's 100$ more expensive than the 5T. Should I get the 5T to save some dosh or spend an extra hundred bucks for the S8? Another thing to note is we only have the exynos version here. Not really a fan of the curved screen meme but it might grow on me.

Moto X4 is the only phone I can think of (other than LG ofc) that does wide angle.

If you care about the camera then the S8 is the better choice. Otherwise I'd go with the OP5T. How much more would it be for the OP6 though?

>miku + xiaomeme
Patrician taste.

Cool skin!

Attached: downloadfile-2.gif (500x281, 579K)

I've had my iPhone 5C for around 5 years or so and it's getting so slow that it's becoming a chore to use so i've been looking for a reasonable replacement. I bought a refurbished iPhone SE on eBay for $170 but the screen was so dim that it was unusable outside, the battery only lasted until lunch time, and the overall battery health percentage was plummeting after only a few days of use so I returned it. Now I'm wondering what I should try next. Is it a bad idea to buy refurbished phones or did I just get unlucky? I was thinking of maybe trying a Pixel 1 new instead of refurbished on eBay. Another option I was considering was a Nokia 6.1. I live in the US, I'm on AT&T, and my budget is $400.

>Moto X4
Thank you, didn't know lenovo had that as well. I checked it out.

>I'm on AT&T
This is your next consideration after the budget. I don't know what is it with your carrier network band support.

Camera is not really a problem. Just gonna use it as my daily driver with a few games on the side. OP6 would cost like 200 bucks more.

^w^

Attached: HTB13liHkHuWBuNjSszgq6z8jVXaj.jpg (700x700, 150K)

Yes I'm finding that many options I see that people consider that would otherwise be great only support 1 or 2 of the bands AT&T uses. Is one or two bands enough or should I get something more tailored to AT&T?

Word has it that once the T-Mobile/Sprint merger goes through, customers will have to pay more. Would that apply to MetroPCS and Cricket customers as well?

I'd go with the OP5T then. Have you checked any other phones out though? Nokia 8, Sony XZ1 / XZ1 Compact, Xiaomi Mi8, Mi Mix 2 / 2S etc. are all available pretty cheap, at least here.

Nokia 6.1 is a good choice

>Is one or two bands enough or should I get something more tailored to AT&T?
Kimovil is a good source for carrier network band support, but you would have to check these specifics with AT&T.

Nokia 8 is pretty much the same price as the 5T here. XZ1/c was one of my options until I found out it only has 2700 mAh. Might not get me through the day. Xiaomis are nice but I've had bad experience with them in my country. (One phone came with touch issue, the replacement came with stuck pixels, etc.) Thanks for the advice, though. I'll probably go for the 5T.

call me paranoid, but do you think it would be possible to somehow impair the fingerprint sensor on the moto g6 / g6 plus (pic related) in a way that it no longer recognizes fingerprint, but to still have the gestures support?
do you think i could just put a bit of tape over it and call it a day?

Attached: moto g6 fingerprint.png (473x472, 357K)

So I bought the Honor 10 64 gb for 380€.
Did I fuck up?

Attached: 180515153452500901900002A.jpg (1000x1000, 107K)

>What do you hate about the new Sony phones?
>They're a little big and the fingerprint scanner is in a dumb position, but those aren't the worst things in the world. They axed the headphone jack but kept the SD card slot, which is significantly more important.

piunikaweb.com/2018/05/23/sony-xperia-xz2-reportedly-has-sd-card-read-write-speed-limitation/

>Update from Sony support, it is a 'hardware limitation' !!
>18 Mbs

OH BOY. SURE AS HELL SONY IS A RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY PRODUCER.

those tiny iphones just have really tiny batteries, that's why phones that size barely exist now, they're like 1450mah or something while a typical 5.5in phone these days has about 3200-3400mah. once those tiny batteries get slightly worn (very fast because tons of charge cycles) they become unbearable to use.

I miss my miku xperia zr

>Budget
350$
>Country
Vietnam. But moving to Canana in September
>Wanted features
3.5mm jack, decent screen, lineageOS support and if possible, project treble support and Type-C
>Don't wanted features
Ugly notch
>Size
Any common size should be fine.

>Chinese weebs
stop it

Fuck w2c

>front isn't black
why

Nokia 7 plus has a locked bootloder but stock Android with quick updates or get the note 5 pro

Bought a bretty good Redmi 6 here in China. Any other anons bought it too?
What do you think of it?
I'm liking the camera a lot. Dual cam on a mid-range phone is great

Attached: 20180627_181301.jpg (4032x3024, 3.63M)

stuck with emui without root forever. If you're okay with that, you didn't fuck up.

Also, where can I buy the "Sailor Moon Crystal" smartphone? Taobao doesn't have it as far as I know

>Note pro 5
Considered that one but no NFC would be inconvenient when i move to Canada.

>Nokia 7 plus
>locked bootloader
No thanks. Looked into that but i'm not buying anything with locked bootloader.

So, I want that phone. Miku is my waifu and I must support her. Where to get it? Gib.

Attached: pounces.gif (500x280, 365K)

I love the redmi note 5 global. I never use the nav bar anymore, only the full screen gesture like iphone x. This update makes its really smooth, very huge improvement.
can't wait for miui 10.

>miui sucks, you should use pajeet os
I'm tired of using the same os every phone I own the last few years. This is my first miui experience and I'm starting to love it, especially the full screen gesture navigation.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-27-15-25-13-115_com.android.updater.png (1080x2160, 148K)

Too bad Xiaomi removed the IR blaster, the headphone jack, and the fucking SDcard slot on that phone.

They are really going full apple now and I can't find a phone that isn't a side grade or a downgrade from them now.

I get cramps, when I use the R5+ without those gestures.

>tfw have original miku xiameme
>Never opened
I-I love muh waifu too much... I can't use it guys.

they are really fucking up

Hopefully another chink company shows up with affordable phones these features by the time I buy another phone.

What's the deal with the iPhone SE?
I think we can all agree that the 5S/SE is a masterpiece when purely judging it's design. That is ignoring all the typical
>hurr dürr, apple is fagg
>but it's not a 4k screen
>i need a 12" phone
>muh benchmarks
Bickering that normally goes on here.
But realistically, buing one now, how many useable years can I expect from it?

Ikr, these tall screen man.

Reposting: Redmi Note 5 Pro/Global or Nokia X6? The X6 has USB-C and more ram but less battery and locked bootloader, not to mention the notch.

>locked bootloader
>smaller battery
>notch
Should be an obvious choice user

everyonevalready agree that iphone se is masterpiece.
>how many useable years
until it breaks? the se still got updates coming, the entire hardware spec is till a beast compared to average phone, has jack. still looks cool and relevant.

It's nice but I've been having problems with bluetooth connectivity. I drive about 2 hours every day and I have to manually switch the bluetooth codec from AAC to SBC every single time I want to pair it with my car's head unit, since it defaults back to the non-functional AAC whenever I disconnect. I'd understand if it were an XDA pajeet ROM, but this is the stable global version for fuck's sake

like this comment if you're using the best phone on the market right now, the /s9/
poorfags don't even read this post thanks

that suck but I doubt they remove the ir blaster completely on their other phones because their have other appliances that uses mi remote.

Mi A1 arriving tomorrow
anxiously baking cookies right now because I'm terrified of the hiss and having to send it back which I have never done before

Attached: 1528935166454.jpg (1024x1024, 221K)

go to developer option user and select default bluetooth codec.

I know that feeling user, you know the mi a1 is gonna be awesome.

>not the /s9+/
gtfo

you gonna be happier if you choose the one one with bigger battery and unlockable bl.

I used to use all those things until I got my mix 2.

Turns out wifi or Bluetooth is better than IR for controlling things, headphone jacks are useless when you have a home theater and vehicle, and 64-128gb storage being so cheap these days for much faster access, I've just dropped using SD cards.

Doesn't work. It always defaults back to AAC, regardless of what options I use.
Of course, I can change it while the bluetooth is disconnected, but when I connect it to the stereo it just automatically switches to AAC from SBC and says "AAC (streaming)".
I looked around and there are various threads about this. There is probably some config file that gives it full priority over the other codecs, but none of the other forum posts really address any way to fix this.

I need to buy a new phone, what's the current best option at around ~$150-200 ?
Anything that runs better than a Galaxy Note 4 is great and decent camera would be a plus.

>the se still got updates coming, the entire hardware spec is till a beast compared
But for how much longer will it get updates? And I agree that the hardware is good enough, but it isn't exactly a "beast", especially if apple ads another (((feature))) that needs something new.
I wouldn't be worried about the next year or two, but I prefer to update in 4 year cycles.

I-Is it?
i am so afraid user

Attached: 1529074394883.png (1000x1000, 54K)

I'm running 64G+128GB expansion and thinking of picking up a 240GB card.
Headphone jack is a must for me when I'm traveling and bluetooth headsets never get the 10+hr advertised battery life and they are easily interfered by all the other bazillion things using the 2.4ghz band.

WIFI and Bluetooth don't do jack shit for things like the AC, standing fans and other non smart appliances where I can record all my old remotes via a $10 dongle and use the phone to control everything else.

They've removed it from all the new Mis, and even the newer Redmis like the 6 and 6a which thankfully still have the headphone jack and sd slot, but are fucking old SOCs.

I’m using an s9+ for the moment and I really like it, I’m feeling conflicted if keeping it and selling my iPhone X.
I could keep both but that would be a waste of money.

Just copped an XZ2 compact for £400, feels good man.

Attached: sony-xperia-xz2-compact-black_2.png (400x600, 60K)

is it limited?
I see.

Welcome to the club, user.

About to fall for the xiaomeme lads.
I always get slight nerves before a larger purchase, the redmi 5 plus seems perfect, good camera, good memory so I can use it for music, long battery life, cheap af
What's the catch?

Anyone knows any kawaii anime casings for Huawei P20 Pro or the OnePlus 3?

Are you sure your unit supports AAC Bluetooth codec?

Should have got Nokia 7 Plus instead

Redmi Note 5, unless you're in the US, in which case Moto G6

iPhone 5S came out in 2013 and it's getting iOS 12 so that's 6 years of updates. iPhone SE came out in 2016 so it's should easily get four years of updates from now.

Get the Redmi Note 5 instead

>iPhone 5S came out in 2013 and it's getting iOS 12 so that's 6 years of updates. iPhone SE came out in 2016 so it's should easily get four years of updates from now.
You are probably right.
On a related note, what's the deal with refurbished and "certified" phones?
Just like everyone on Jow Forums, I have a used and refurbished thinkpad, so I'm tempted to supplement it with a refurbished phone.
However, I'm afraid that there are differences.
TPs tend to be from large, enterprise leasing pools, so I'm assuming that certain rules in handling and maintenance were followed (I.e. no fapping on the company machine, when something is broken, IT gets a proper repair), whereas phones are rebought private machines, that might have been jizzed on an repaired by some ghetto phone repair shop.
If, i.e. amazon tells me it's also certified by apple, what exactly does that mean?

HTC 10 or ZTE Axon 7?
also whats the battery life on both of those phones?

Nokia 7 Plus is a fucking brick. Almost every other owner complains about size. Also, he already bought the phone, you could at very least objectify why purchasing other phone would benefit.

>I never use the nav bar anymore, only the full screen gesture like iphone x
>I get cramps, when I use the R5+ without those gestures.
How and which ones are you using? What about the Pixel Navbar?

Brainlet here. I rooted and installed twrp on my Samsung A5 a year ago and now I wanna update from 6.0 to 8.0 without losing my data. How would I go about that?

I used to use Flashfire but it doesn't work anymore since it stopped being developed (even if I set the time back it still won't flash anything). Tried using smart switch but it doesn't seem to think there's an update. I have the firmware downloaded along with Odin but I don't wanna just go at it without being sure(I can't make backups as titanium won't install for some reason and twrp is being weird with its backups)

All the guides I find online are by pajeets so yeah plz help a brain let phoneposter out

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 6K)

>They've removed it from all the new Mis, and even the newer Redmis like the 6 and 6a which thankfully still have the headphone jack and sd slot, but are fucking old SOCs.
Good thing the Redmi Note 5 line didn't succumb to this. Also, the only task those 625s are incapable of performing is PS2 emulation. I mean, how many users even know such an emulator exists (forget use it daily)? I doubt there are better optimized SoCs than it and the 636.

>About to fall for the xiaomeme lads
There are no memes to fall for.
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro-8893.php
This is a perfect successor to the Galaxy S5/Note 4. Even rivals those two in custom ROM support and it has been released in February.

Should I get the google phone? I value camera above anything else, phone looks slick too, no cheap feeling/too big screen.
Otherwise Id probably stick to the iphone x or samsung.
Also saw the razer phone, looks like a meme

>tiny phonelet designed specifically to fit in teenage girl jeans
no

Xiaomeme redmeme 6 pro could have been the best midra-

>notch

; /

Redmi Note 5 Pro exists and probably is exactly that. Wait for the Redmi Note 6.

>>notch
what is this "notch" i hear people complain about...?

$150 isn't midrange you dumb pajeet

I can wait for the redmi note 6 I guess . I m having a hard time catching note 5 pro because it's from pajeetland.

Except you know the people who bought the Galaxy Note specifically for the pen.

The note 5 3G ram version has camera problems, the china forums have people complaining about faulty bluetooth, some people having screen problems with most people citing inconsistent touch sensing.

Also DO NOT update to MIUI 10 on the note 5 for now, very many bugs.

>Should have got Nokia 7 Plus instead
no notification led kinda suck.

iphoneX unibrow on the upper side of the screen

I'm neither a teenager nor a girl, but I can't fit modern phones in my jeans. And nope, thei're not skinny jeans. Also does not fit into my chinos and my bespoke slacks, which are cut very traditional.

could it be that you are either carrying a man-purse, wearing cargo-shorts or are obese, possible a combination of all three?

Attached: murrica.webm (406x720, 1.96M)

I imagine it's been looked over by some guy in an apple shirt. Just treat it as used but with a guarantee.

I wear semiskinny jeans and my LG G6 fits perfectly

My 6.44" phone fits in my jeans.

Had both, Axon 7 has 2 hours more SOT, much nicer screen, better speakers and DAC, also 60fps video. Camera is equal. HTC felt just a tad nicer in hand if I'm right

Get the Axon

I saw that first on plebbit last night but how much is Miku phone in burger bucks?

Redmi Note 5 Pro is the pajeet name, elsewhere it's just Redmi Note 5, but it's basically the same phone
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-global-64gb

Can you also move around with them without the phone poking into your hips?
And is it invisible, or do you have a giant phone poking through your fabric on your leg?

My phone only pokes my hips in a crouching position, it's completely flat against my thigh most of the time and no it does not poke through my jeans it's only 7.6mm.

I can sit through a whole meal without ever feeling the need to take my phone out and put it on the table like all the faggots do as soon as they sit down somewhere.

guys a I need a custom ROM+kernel for my Leeco Me S3 x626 to stop my battery from draining in 3 hours.

Any ideas?

Where were you when the Pixel 3 design let you down again?

Attached: DgsBsLGXUAAR2uE.jpg large.jpg (2047x615, 85K)

>My phone only pokes my hips in a crouching position,
I see. That would annoy me to no end since I tend to move a lot, but if you don't mind, more power to you.

>Where were you when the Pixel 3 design let you down again?
I was looking at the world in horror and disgust.
pic related is mfw…

Attached: my_pixelface_when.png (141x89, 9K)

Xperia X Compact owners - what kind of SoT do you get with it?

That front on the right reminds me of the Xiaomi Redmi 5 lole

>new xiaomi
Nice desu are there any miku ones left or all gone by now

Buying an s9+.

it's fuckin miku dude, okay I'm spending money on this.