ITT post free shit that's so bad that people would rather pay for the proprietary alternative

ITT post free shit that's so bad that people would rather pay for the proprietary alternative.

Attached: Loonix+install+gentoo_546faa_4768431.png (1209x798, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy//po/words-to-avoid.ja-en.html#LAMP
gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>inb4 YOU DON'T NEED X, Y, Z REEEEEEEEEE

Attached: wilber-big.png (300x224, 34K)

only because Krita needs more shilling.

Thanks for reminding me.

Attached: index.jpg (186x186, 4K)

Anything that requires you to make something good.

Very cute. return to /v/ now.

LibreOffice

>triggered.

Three words
Free To Play
most aren't that good
few exceptions though
usually its best just to shell out 20 bucks

If the market is any indication, pretty much everything in FOSSdom except LAMP stack.

Attached: gdb.png (335x151, 19K)

Attached: gnome.png (336x104, 10K)

Attached: octave.png (408x123, 13K)

Free as in Freedom, not as in beer, brainlet.

Linux

“LAMP” stands for “Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP”—a common combination of software to use on a web server, except that “Linux” in this context really refers to the GNU/Linux system. So instead of “LAMP” it should be “GLAMP”: “GNU, Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.”

Attached: 1522893517790.jpg (667x1000, 510K)

Isn't there a basement you're supposed to be chomping chicken tendies in right now?

Attached: 1520676324567.gif (479x304, 301K)

Jow Forums is closed source proprietary infested with spyware

why are you here retard?

FreeCAD.

Gnu/linux

your mom

fugg

proprietary document formats will navigate you into hell (a hell which you can avoid), but I agree that libreoffice can be lacking in some areas

for (Nigger nigger: france.getNationalTeam())
{
your_mom.suckDick(nigger.getDick());
}

Attached: 1524901703195.gif (250x250, 992K)

It's hard to point out because both sucks immensely but in different areas.
Open source software is always tiny and unbloated and have magnificent engines, but the GUI is always a piece of shit and it is always incompatible with most formats.
And well, it's a bit crash prone for no reason.

Close source "just werks" in terms of loading stuff, but it does so by eating 12GB of harddrive space and tentacle raping your OS with several creepy as fuck dependencies and DRM shit, and well when you finally get it to work, you quickly find the core features other than the ones the normie use to not be that good.
And those are also crash prone, but they only do it when you're trying to work.

Don't forget to free dicks afterward, we don't want dick overflow

It would actually be a dick leak, user.

Ultimately leading to an "out of dick space" error, amirite?

But what if a member of the france's national team is not a nigger?

ur mum lol

He's gonna be cast into a nigger

I don't think that works very well.

Attached: legit black guy.jpg (406x410, 24K)

If we wanna worry about edge cases tho:
for nigger in [nigger for nigger in frange.getNationalTeam() if nigger.color < 128]:
for nigger_dick in nigger.getDicks():
your_mother.suck(nigger_dick)

Niggers come in 127 different colors?
Learn something new every day.

>inb4 i-its just the same!
No it fucking isn't, and you would realize this if you actually used both of the extensively.

Attached: 2000px-LibreOffice_logo.svg.png (2000x439, 105K)

Or we could involde both of your mothers:
queue = Queue()
threads = []

def getRunner(mother):
def run():
while not queue.empty():
nigger = queue.get()
for dick in nigger.getDicks():
mother.suck(dick)
return run

for nigger in france.getNationalTeam():
if nigger.getColor() > 128:
continue

queue.put(nigger.getDick())

for mother in you.get_mothers():
thread = Thread(run=getRunner(mother))
thread.start()
threads.append[thread]

queue.join()

*them

You could use Libre/Open Office for about 5 minutes to realize they really aren't close at all...

Attached: index.jpg (110x114, 4K)

libyourmom-MT - coming soon to GitHub.

atom.io

Or most free as in freedumb editors, if I had the money.

this

Never used a proprietary office or photo software, what's so good about them? Can I legally study and modify the source code and then redistribute my changes?

More features, better UI, improved compatibility etc.

>More features
Bloat
>better UI
Dark patterns
>improved compatibility
Vendor lock-in

Where is the source code?

If this software is so vastly inferior, why do you want the source? Of course, we all know the answer - we just want to hear it from your mouth.

they just werk. they're for people who want to get shit done.
a product that needs to be fixed by the consumer is a shit product.

the sad thing is the proprietary one is shit too but for some godforsaken reason people keep using it

>Bloat
No, freetard, actual features.
>Dark patterns
What?
>Vendor lock-in
Office Open XML is open(.docx, .pptx...), LIbreOffice is just shit and can't handle them properly.

>Where is the source code?
Its closed source, as you know. You aren't going to see it user.
But you should also realize that no one gives a shit as long as the product itself is better, which it is.

You can actually. You just have to sign an NDA and have a good reason (which being a whiny bitch like that user isn't).

Just looked into it, its actually a thing.

I don't personally want the source to whatever garbage spyware app it is you're shilling, but if there are people who use and depend on that software, they should be able to study and modify and redistribute it otherwise they will be at their vendor's mercy

All software has bugs and is going to break eventually. Your vendor might fix some of them, or they could more likely just tell you to fuck off

>app

user, the likehood of something like LibreOffice "breaking eventually" is significantly higher than that of Office.

>they should be able to study
See .

>modify
Read: steal.

>and redistribute
Read: profit off others' work.

Freetards. Born thieves, live thieves, die thieves.

what's it like pretending to be so retarded you don't know what proprietary means? next you're gonna say, "what's so good about this Windows? does it let me legally compile my own kernel?"

I'm and and I'll say the proprietary software is significantly better than the freetard shit, but modifying source code is not stealing and to suggest it is is completely retarded.

> Be me
> Writing dissertation in Word because my supervisor wants me to
> It crashes
> "No matter, I saved my work recently"
> Reopen document
> All of the references for the appendix are gone
> The macros I set are gone
Wow, great software, so much better than just using LaTeX and a text editor

gnu.org/philosophy//po/words-to-avoid.ja-en.html#LAMP
oh boy.. Stallman really is autistic.

It's the modern form of "begging" leftists of all stripes (niggers, feminists and freetards) have been using for the last 20-30 years: insult abd hound the white, hetero, capitalist male into giving you free stuff, because you're too useless to do anything yourself.

Works on my machine, I've had literally 0 (zero) Word crashes in over 10+ years of using it.

there's no excuse to pay for proprietary/have any proprietary alternatives, all free software is good because of this, but if I had to pick something bad then well, GNOME, systemd, every pooetteringware, except these every Libre program is cool, rad, A-okay at worst

Attached: 1235.jpg (370x600, 49K)

>there's no excuse to pay for proprietary/have any proprietary alternatives
Why not?

because proprietary soft is made to restrict you, and you can't be sure if its malware or not, if its doing what you think its doing or not, etc, etc.

any free video editor, especially shotcut.

What if the product is objectively better and universally used?

>actual features
Programs should do one thing and do it well, not have 1000 features
>What?
"Better UI" is marketing speak for railroading people into using features and buying shit that they don't actually need
>Office Open XML is open
The spec is hot garbage, I wouldn't want to implement that shit even if I was working on MS office

>Its closed source, as you know. You aren't going to see it user.
Why? Are they hiding something? How much does it actually cost to zip up some text files and put them on an FTP?
>the product itself is better
Costs more != better

I'm not upset about the crash, I'm upset about the fact it apparently at no point saved my macros or an entire category of references for some reason.

>Putting nigger dicks to a queue
>Expecting to get full niggers with multiple dicks out from it
The absolute state of Python programmers

>but modifying source code is not stealing
Do you believe for one second that freetards want the source code of Windows, Office, etc. to improve it? To contribute to the code base?

THAT'S retarded. No, they want to rip it off. Because that's what they do. It's why they resent proprietary software: because it has restrictions on it that the person who actually made it (quite rightfully) placed on it. They've never done anything useful in their lives, have never had anything that they're proud of, have never produced anything of actual value - so they have no frame of reference to understand people who do, and have.

Which is why GPLv3 exists. You use something licensed with GPLv3? It's mandatory for you to use the same license.

>Programs should do one thing and do it well, not have 1000 features
Its a word processor you retard.
>"Better UI" is marketing speak for railroading people into using features and buying shit that they don't actually need
What are you rambling about? The UI in the Office suite is better than the one in LibreOffice, and it isn't something that's even advertised.
>Why? Are they hiding something? How much does it actually cost to zip up some text files and put them on an FTP?
Why the fuck would a company spend millions on developing software and then give it away? Of course they will charge for it.
>Costs more != better
I literally never said that, I use free (as in beer and freedom) software that works better than proprietary equivalents, but in this context, LibreOffice is worse and happens to be free.

You're correct but only because office was already broken to begin with

>sign an NDA
Not going to help you bury your skeletons, sorry
>steal
Removing malware from your own computer is stealing?
>profit off others' work
You mean like how proprietary software companies are now in a mad rush to get everyone's personal data and sell it for their own gain? No I'm not interested in doing that either, sorry

>Do you believe for one second that freetards want the source code of Windows, Office, etc. to improve it? To contribute to the code base?
No, it's to verify whether they are doing something nasty (hint: they are).
Why won't they show the source code to their users? What do they have to hide?

>office was already broken to begin with
???

>Why the fuck would a company spend millions on developing software and then give it away? Of course they will charge for it.
They have every right to charge for it, but they should provide those who buy it with the source. That's what free software is about. They don't need to make it "public".

>he things you can make money by selling open source software

Attached: 1507182302365.jpg (347x316, 21K)

It's easy to confuse the two. The pubes on top don't help.

Do you not understand the concept of a USP? Why would you release your source code for everyone (ie competitors) to see?

99% of programming jobs involve developing free software, and they don't even realize it.
Private software, used within a company and never released, can still legitimately be free software as long as the users have the four essential freedoms.

>99% of programming jobs involve developing free software

>everyone
Nice reading comprehension senpai.

>use competitor's source code that is licensed with GPLv3
>It's now mandatory for you to release the source code of your own software

Yes they do. Try actually landing a programming job for once.
gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html

I meant everyone, retard. You really think its so hard for a business to spend a couple of hundred? Its practically accessible to everyone, and lets be honest, once the source code is out, its out. There is nothing stopping them from incorporating elements of it into their own software with a proprietary license on top and it would never be discovered.
I read somewhere on Jow Forums a while back that this is what the chink WPS office or whatever its called did with some LO components.

I'll believe you if you give me a source that "99% of programmers make free software". Your link does not show this.

You have it backwards, have you ever been at a modern tech company? The current day white hetero capitalist is a begging leftist cunt who wants to give you free shit so they can turn around and sell your data to advertisers. They believe your computer is their property to do whatever they want with because they tricked you into signing up for their bullshit cloud service.

The only people who want to rip others off are proprietary developers. They take whatever code they can get their fingers on that someone else wrote, profit off it, and then refuse to give out the source code and place arbitrary restrictions on it just so they can cover up their theft.

Using outright illegal activities as an example is fairly dishonest of you.

I used an example that is not extreme and completely feasible.

You let freetards at Windows source code, what do you get? MinGW. Where MS accidentally released the MSVCRT.DLL source code, and freetards partied all over the internal structures. Old New Thing has a series of articles where Raymond goes into this at length (never once actually naming MinGW, but that's called "professionalism") about just how much this error cost them.

So yes, cry yourselves to sleep at night with projectionist fantasies of "naughty" and "wrong" code. You got ONE DLLs source, and look what you did. Now imagine if you had the entire OS. Microsoft are doing the right thing: people like you should never, ever be allowed to see the source.

Imagine wasting so many words while at the same time completely missing the point and saying nothing at all.

Projection of the highest order. But that's why MS is rich, and you're on an anime imageboard.

Hey, if you're stupid enough to miss the real point - not something you made up in-flight to rationalise your cock-eyed view of the world - that isn't my problem.

Keep sperging, you know you are wrong and making pathetic attempts at looking smart.

>"naughty" and "wrong" code
Have you seen the amount of personal data that these huge companies have been able to collect? That shit is a pretty real threat.
If you're going to use that "nothing to hide" argument then you should aim that same shit towards proprietary code.