/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.

[I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?]
RPi3, Asus Tinker or Odroid XU4/HC1.

Are you interested in learning Linux or BSD administration and configuration better? Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

[News]
entertainment.slashdot.org/story/18/06/13/0059208/the-internet-is-finally-going-to-be-bigger-than-tv-worldwide
tech.slashdot.org/story/18/06/12/1924209/internet-luminaries-urge-eu-to-kill-off-automated-copyright-filter-proposal

[Chat]
discord.gg/9vZzCYz
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-26_22-55-10.png (258x338, 88K)

I think it'll be better with panties.

get fucked you fucking faggot with your faggy discord

Is ssh-agent part of systemD?

Imagine being this gay.

Go away discord/irc tranny

Should I use a baremetal hypervisor or docker containers?

I just decommissioned my home server and moved it all onto a cloud vps. It's cheaper than the electricity to run my server and has a super fast upload pipe when I'm on the road.

It depends on if you have 'tism or not.

hypervisor if you do.

well. that is an unfortunate truth of modern life. I don't blame you.

I've seen some shit in my time but this is really the poos.

Actually I do have mild autism , yeah.

How much storage do you have?
What was electric cost of running your server per month?

I can see that working if you have

>20TB
>70TB

Well yeah, obviously with that much data it's fucking stupid to have a cloud vps. It would take you at least a month just to upload it.

I have a 500GB storage VPS from time4vps that is $4/mo.

no but it sucks anyway

hey /hsg/, I have a SuperMicro X8DTL + Freenas. It came with a SAS1-846 which seems to only recognize a limit of 2TB. Would I need to replace this with a SAS2-846 backplane, or is their a way to flash it to remove that limitation? I can't work with 2TB drives because my existing data set is 12x 3TB + already bought an additional 12x 3TB spare.

The noise level is also a pretty big problem. Would replacing the stock chassis fans with Arctic 80mm fans work?It could just be that smaller fans simply have a higher RPM.

Attached: 1513313047180.jpg (1500x2667, 1.85M)

He picked a provider so shitty that their idea of "scale to infinity" is 8TB of storage

Congrats you're renting the absolutely shittiest hardware possible. For 500GB of storage from a reputable provider like Amazon EBS on HDDs it would cost $22.50 just for the storage ignoring the rest of their costs.

You need a new backplane. If you had a 826 I could help you out as i have a spare backplane just sitting around collecting dust.

And buy a fan controller.

Also a lot of that noise is probably coming from the powersupplies, in which case you get to pay out the ass for the SuperQuiet versions of their PSUs, which are quiet, even in their 1U form factor.

>You need a new backplane.
Figured. Atleast they're not too expensive($200 on Ebay)
>If you had a 826
My rear backplane is SAS-826EL1, but I'm going to be short on money after buying this SAS2 + fans and etc. If you haven't sold it yet I'll check back in this thread maybe a month from now.

I keep reading this, but I removed all the 80mm fans from the case and powered it on, and it was completely quiet. I think people are getting the 900W PSU's mixed with the 1400W ones(The one I have).

>it was completely quiet
You might already have them, they have SQ in their part number

Just pulled it out, PWS-1K41P-1R.
Googled noise level for it, and it seems most people think SQ isn't necessary for this model.

>I've found that the chassis fans on those cases (especially the 847) are louder than the PSUs. I didn't find the SQ models to be all that necessary and even ran a server in a 846 chassis in my bedroom, but that's all very subjective.

>it seems that the PSU is no longer the most relevant source for noise. Apparently the high efficiency PSUs have become so cool and quiet, that the 80mm high static pressure fans are now the dominating factor - even when they are PWM-controlled. That's good to know.

Glad too, because I did not want to drop another $200+ for a PSU

>Congrats you're renting the absolutely shittiest hardware possible. For 500GB of storage from a reputable provider like Amazon EBS on HDDs it would cost $22.50 just for the storage ignoring the rest of their costs.

So you're telling me that if I spend 10x the money that I'm currently spending, I'll get a better service?! Shocking!!!

>cant even perform basic division
good job on proving you're more retarded than a 3rd grader

Doesn't factor in the ec2 instance or whatever vps he needs to run the server

no shit sherlock, I explicitly stated that $22.50 was for EBS alone. Good job retard, you not only lack 3rd grade math skills, but that you lack reading comprehension as well.

So he's spending $4/mo currently and you want him to spend $22.50 + whatever a compute vps would cost (probably around the same assuming 2tb of bandwidth), which adds up to $40-50/mo. That's 10x the cost. How in any way is it relevant to suggest someone pay 10x for something when you don't even know their use scenario?

>probably around the same assuming 2tb of bandwidth
>for a "home server" in the cloud with a 500gb disk
good job proving you're more retarded than a 3rd grader when it comes to math yet again. Since you're going to be even more butthurt and say something retarded like it is 2TB of outbound traffic:

>which adds up to $40-50/mo
2TB out from AWS costs a lot more than that, at $0.09 per GB it would be $180 for 2TB outbound bandwidth

>How in any way is it relevant to suggest someone pay 10x for something when you don't even know their use scenario?
Their use scenario is to larp. They arent doing jack shit with it.

I'm running sabnzbd, sonarr, syncthing, nginx, gogs, openbox for x2go, probably some other shit I can't remember. It's amazing what you can do on a single x86 core.

>It's amazing what you can do on a single x86 core.
As I said, you're larping

Want to run multiple operating systems? Virtualization
Want to run different flavors of the same operating system? Docker

With Freenas, let's say I have an 1 drive setup already with RAID 0.(don't worry I have another set of drives that makes a mirror of the raid, it has to be this way).

Is it possible to add a new drive to extend that RAID without wiping all the data?

This has to be RAID0 because it's a temporarily solution until I can buy enough drives to fully mirror my storage.

I think you guys are thing of me.

Attached: IMG_20180626_181120.jpg (501x667, 37K)

ok Jow Forums so I need a NAS
>imb4 see OP
how can I hook up 4 drives to a fucking toy?

>Want to discuss building,configuration and other server related things amongst my fellow Jow Forumsentoomen
>Excited to see cool custom made NAS's and virtualization techniques
>Grab a beer and search for /hsg/ on Jow Forums
>Instead I get shit like and
>Excitement turns to anger and then disappointment

Drink a few more beers desu and you will be in love with my server.

Attached: IMG_20180626_181437.jpg (501x667, 49K)