Homogenization of techology

Don't you hate how literally every computer/phone/piece of tech looks exactly the same, like every single phone is a flat slab with the same buttons, the same screen, and now with the same fucking notch since android OEMs can't resist copying apple every god damn chance they get.
I miss when companies experimented with different designs and different ways of doing things, but now everything is so cookie cutter it's basically pointless to give a shit about anything. How do you feel? Got any cool old tech you wanna talk about?

Attached: 6a015393f10bde970b0154386e22ef970c-800wi.jpg (430x444, 114K)

It turns out there are benefits to having a fairly standardized hardware format. Imagine having to develop software that works for hundreds of different hardware interfaces. A single touch screen works well enough.

there's only like three variations in that image
flip phone, candy-bar, and slider

Attached: huawei-p20-pro-black_1.png (468x600, 38K)

I have pic related, it's pretty different from everything else if you ask me

Attached: 7232.jpg (980x720, 128K)

how is it?

It’s not real tech, but it does look good, and with a bigger screen it could be a nice ruggedized phone design.

Attached: 1F267C59-C128-438A-A292-AA74E7DF43AF.jpg (222x256, 46K)

you completely missed the point you inbred mongrel

the catepillar phone is pretty nice

This looks pretty good, even if doesn’t have a good screen.

Attached: 3688286B-D7FB-47AE-B5DA-E8AE2F7CA6FB.jpg (225x300, 18K)

I'm pretty happy with current design standards, and if you want something different you can always get a cat phone, a blackberry, that chinkphone with the motorized camara or the many android flip phones, there may be less variation than before but I'd rather have something that "just werks" and as a mobile dev what said is completely true.

>as a mobile dev
opinion discarded!

the battery life sucks and the screen is only 240p but aside from that it's a perfectly usable phone

I can't stand it. I have been avoiding it though, I've only had one generic glass slate

If it were socially acceptable then I wouldn't mind using a flip phone. I don't use my smartphone for much so it's more of a stylistic choice.

Attached: freetel flipphone.jpg (400x400, 20K)

>If it were socially acceptable
stop giving fucks about what others think of your choices

I already use a x61s at college, I don't want people to think I'm more of a weirdo.
But when my Sony Z3v dies or I live in a place that isn't dominated by verizon I'll buy one of those to replace it. There's no reason to spend money on something I don't need atm.

>If it were socially acceptable
Die.

Surprised no one posted this yet.

Attached: 6BBE2960-8170-465E-83BC-F6D485ADFED5.jpg (333x222, 29K)

Why do you feel the need to stick out by purchasing non-standard designs?

I'm sure it's perfectly socially acceptable to use a flip phone as long as you're not texting or playing a game on it. Even then, as long as you're using one hand it'll look fine.
You should still kill yourself for worrying about that, though.

Why do you feel the need to conform with current norms that don't meet your needs?

>doesn't read the thread
there are other reasons too

But half the draw of flip phones is the superior texting.

innovation has died

Doesn't matter m8, you don't fit into the übermensch standard required of the Jow Forums userbase.

I'm neither esoteric in taste nor willing to do things for others rather than not do things because of others.
Is that what they're trying to tell me?

just get a blackberry or something. gave up android and went with blackberry classic.

people do make fun of my phone, then I ask them what I'm missing. the only response is "snapchat". I have wireless charging, Hub, and a browser. Hell, works better with bluetooth speakers than Android does.

best part though, physical keyboard.

I'll never forgive blackberry for sending me a piece of shit phone.
Ya know that one update that broke the phone if it was updated to? And how there was no physical way to revert?
To make a long story short it came with that update and everything was literally unusable. I wanted a Classic so bad.

A cellphone should do nothing more than SMS and phone calls. Anything more and it's just a toy.

never heard of that. I got the classic 2 years ago off of ebay. it updated a few weeks ago and was slow as shit for a few days, but it does that after updates.

>he doesn't like playing with toys

the notch is literally a non-issue that matters only to those whose job is to find and overanalyze anything tech related in order to entertain their audiences
the reason why all mobile devices are pretty similar in their "flat slab" design these days is that it's the most efficient and convenient formfactor you can have where the most used part of the device takes the most place.

please die

We have reached perfection. Consumerist experiments are no longer necessary

My z10 did this

Software is more important than hardware. There should be more screen and less "phone", so to speak, and the manufacturers are doing precisely that.

That is a point.
You won't get massive app selection if developers wasted resources on different hardware types.

I don't get it, are you in middle school or something? Who cares what phone or laptop you use? Do people laugh at you for not having the newest iPhone X or Macbook Pro or something?

If people consider you a weirdo you have way bigger problems than what tech you are using.

Attached: 1530118764496.png (565x600, 202K)

>there aren't exceptions

Attached: blackberry_keytwo_athena_leaked_image.jpg (3240x3080, 695K)

>telling user to die for not wanting to look like a sperg in public

not looking like a sperg will get you a better job and is probably why a lot of Jow Forums are neets

It is rather disappointing.
We could have full fledged computers in our hands at this point running windows or linux but most companies don't give a shit and just give us a shitty mobile OS instead.

Its nice to see some devices are still different here and there even if the idea is kind of stupid like pic related.
The battery probably dies too fast.

Attached: mw-860.jpg (600x400, 51K)

Having a flip phone does not make you look like a sperg. That makes you sound like a sperg, thinking that other people are as obsessed with phones as you seem to be.

At least you have this.

Attached: gpd_win-0.jpg (780x550, 57K)

>At least you have this
No, I do not have this.
I demand you tell me the name of this device, and where it can be acquired.

im not that user, but ill tall name of it, it si GPD WIN 1 it i selld by 370$ there is also a new GPD win 2 that have better CPU( m3 7Y30)690$

Do it for the 2000s kino