Given that SSH is so great, why doesn't Windows have it?

Given that SSH is so great, why doesn't Windows have it?
Why does Windows only have virus ridden insecure software?

SSH faciliates secure connections between two remote systems.

It uses 128 bit encryption to ensure that there is no chance of a hacker doing IP spoofing, DNS poisoning, or Man in the Middle Attacks-

While it uses a terminal by default, SSH can also use a technique called X11 forwarding to securely and safely forward graphical applications from the server to the data.

Through a technique called port forwarding, it allows a way to secure otherwise insecure protocols, like POP, and increase overall system and data security.

The OpenSSH server and client can be configured to create a tunnel similar to a virtual private network.

Using SSH through PuTTy doesn't count, because it's essentially like Wine is for Linux.

Attached: ssh-big.png (900x560, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/ssh
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/microsoft-quietly-snuck-an-ssh-client-and-server-into-the-latest-windows-10/
media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7210-pqchacks
crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/5118/is-aes-256-weaker-than-192-and-128-bit-versions#5120
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

S treet
S hitters
H ate it

Windows has it, it's just for NSA only :^)

windows has ssh

Attached: ssh.png (979x512, 21K)

because SSH depends on tty driver API which is obsolete legacy concept which windows never adopted in the first place

>What is bitvise?
>What is putty?
>What is OpenSSH?

the ABSOLUTE STATE of loonixtards

But Windows does have SSH. I use it as a SOCKS proxy and tunnel Remote Desktop through it just fine.

Attached: sshd.png (1000x700, 151K)

>lmao you don't need that anyway
t. freet... oh.

Because ssh sucks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/ssh

Works on my system, you just have to install it from the settings.

Attached: ApplicationFrameHost_2018-06-27_18-38-10.png (948x648, 24K)

Because we skipped it and went straight to terminal services, oh, 20 years ago now?

>2001

Oh yes I am convinced now that you pulled out this email communication from 17 years ago.

SSH has been updated since then obviously

>he needs a gui to login remotely
>it's 8 bit color otherwise the connection would be too slow

Attached: c.jpg (640x559, 23K)

This. Remote Desktop is cool until you realize it was only meant for use within a LAN or private inter-office line. For anything else it's a last resort, like when I'm on mobile data and need to post on Jow Forums.

TeamViewer is just leagues faster than ssh for remote desktoping, it's kind of embarrassing

So is Chrome Remote Desktop, but those require a middleman server which is arguably worse than direct connections.

Read the entire post, dipshit.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/microsoft-quietly-snuck-an-ssh-client-and-server-into-the-latest-windows-10/

womp womp

Attached: 1507098913076.jpg (738x820, 55K)

>faster than secure shell
>for remote desktop

Attached: d.png (622x350, 411K)

I remember trying to install an ssh server on windows only to find out WSL installs and enables an ssh server by default with the default password listening on all interfaces, which is absolutely retarded.

TeamViewer and Chromoting uses image compression, unlike Microsoft RDP which transmits raw bitmaps.

Completely missed the point, pajeet. Most of what's mentioned there is still true today. You would know if you had some reading comprehension.

>image compression
>shell

Attached: a.gif (175x131, 1019K)

We were talking about Microsoft RDP tunneled through SSH. Regardless of whether that's the case the point stands that RDP is very inefficient.

>unironically taking uriel and his gang seriously

Attached: 1526303626153.jpg (257x263, 18K)

at least it's not GnuPG-level clusterfuck

>Why does Windows only have virus ridden insecure software?

I don't understand anyone who says that Common Sense 9000 is the only solution. Any filter between your computer and the possible shit that could be coming at you is good. Who has any fucking idea what kind of malware could hit you at any time? Why not prevent it? Good websites can get taken over and spread malicious software, good software can turn into malicious software, suspicious people exist, and accidents happen.

That being said I wonder what anti-malware software to install onto this laptop and seek advice upon the matter

SSH allows for remote desktoping in a roundabout way. It's specifically designed to allow it if one desires it.

It's better to leave just SSH open and use remote desktop through that than leave 3389 open to WAN and advertise to everyone that you have a Windows server to hack.

That's the client, not the server.

It's already been proven several times in this thread that Windows can act as an SSH server.

>SSH
huge CIA botnet, same like systemd

where is the proof

>ssh sucks cuz it isn't plan 9 btw I am bitter plan 9 didn't catch on pls give me attention

None of that shit is true. Rob Pike and Russ Cox are not cryptographers, they have no expertise in these matters and all they say is pure FUD.

The encryption part is not true anymore. The set of safe ciphers and authentication crypto reduced a lot to maybe up to 6 combinations. Even SSL had issues with adoption that time because old hardware had no support for hardware-accelerated encryption and just could not use most of the options. This issue died out.
The complexity issue outside the encryption is true. I want to looks at Plan 9's cpu(1) for some time, hoping I can force myself to do it soon.
SSL and TLS is madness from complexity point of view, if SSH reduced itself to chacha20poly1305 and just 1 option for every primitive, it would be the simplest secure crypto protocol, kinda like wireguard's use of noise framework. TLS is nightmare in comparison.
for laughter, djb's talk intro on PQC (starts at 1 minute) media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7210-pqchacks

>than leave 3389 open to WAN and advertise to everyone that you have a Windows server to hack.
I seriously hope none of you guys do this.

was there even some crypto code in Plan 9? I know there is something ported to 9front but dunno original

>if SSH reduced itself to chacha20poly1305 and just 1 option for every primitive, it would be the simplest secure crypto protocol, kinda like wireguard's use of noise framework

This. Wireguard's intentional lack of cipher suites is a great idea. Just enforcing chacha20poly1305 or AES-128-GCM is more than enough for decades to come

>for decades to come
>that linked talk
I really wonder when will post-quantum crypto enters the scene

most probably not in our lifetime

>Obsolete legacy concept?
>In use by millions upon millions of devices today.

Pick one.

That's like saying the concept of routing IP packets is obsolete because it was developed many years ago.

tty has no purpose and is completely inelegant design though
despite ipv6 being superior to ipv4, at least ipv4 is nowhere that terrible, old doesn't necessarily mean obsolete

doubt it, I'm confident there will be quantum-resistant key exchange in common use in those next 10 years

>cygwin
No, that's cheating
Just like using wine

Attached: uriel.png (2421x2522, 2.93M)

It does OP, install WSL, type bash, there you go instant ability to use SSH. You can even do it from powershell.

It... does. Since the last update.
an ssh client is installed by default, a server can be installed as an optional feature (no idea what that actually connects you with, though).

>Waah! SSH is too big, too complex for me to understand! Cryptography is totally trivial and shouldn't be that hard to implement right! Let's have a mandatory fallback algorithm that will be unusably unsafe in 6 years baked into the protocol so the entire system becomes unusable!
Jesus Christ, how can they actually suggest that?

seemed halfway intelligent so rip my nukka

no crypto is too complex and harmful. if you want your shit hidden just use rot13, it's simple and easy to audit for bugs.

He was right about almost everything.

>openbsd

It has something better, plan 9's cpu(1), and it's not like wine because it's portable and the same anywhere.

> Harmful: AES-256
but why

some weakness in subkey PRNG, not a big deal
crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/5118/is-aes-256-weaker-than-192-and-128-bit-versions#5120

this
/thread

>Why does Windows only have virus ridden insecure software?

What is Putty?

Also powershell has SSH module and the Linux subsystem also now provides it.

but it's native linux software and windows is only copying it.
windows can't do anything good by itself

>openSSH client compiled for Windows is copying it

Sure thing kid. Sounds like this is just a shitpost thread.

Attached: 1476063364775.png (776x599, 30K)