/wt/ - watch thread

MODS DO YOUR FUCKING JOBS edition.

Attached: rolex_oysterquartz_pallet_fork.jpg (600x450, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qUitxzgnT88
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In for get with the fucking program and instead of being lazy dipshits, clean up the avatar-fagging, butthurt, mentally deficient, jobless retard's spam.

Attached: 65sd4gf654sdg65s4f6s5d4f.jpg (1668x1412, 614K)

Almost everyone here will agree that we live in deeply troubled horological times. One of the most widespread manifestations of the trouble in the watch collecting community that we see here on our little corner in /wt/ (and other forums) is the "Seiko Male", so a discussion of the psychology of the Seiko Male can serve as an introduction to the discussion of the problems of the horological community as a whole.

But what is a Seiko Male? During the first half of the 20th century what we call a "Seiko Male" could have been practically identified with homosexuality. Today the community is fragmented and it is not clear who can properly be called a Seiko Male. When we speak of Seikos going forward we have in mind mainly Weaboos, leftists, “politically correct” types, feminists, gay and disability activists, "metrosexuals", racemixers, and the like. But not everyone who is associated with one of these movements is a Seiko. What we are trying to get at in discussing Seiko is not so much a movement or an ideology as a psychological type who happens to collect wristwatches, or rather a collection of related types who are involved in the watch community. Thus, what we mean by “Seiko Male” will emerge more clearly in the course of our discussion of Seiko psychology.

Attached: Omega Speedmaster - NASA.jpg (1920x1920, 312K)

Seikos tend to hate anything that has an image of being strong, good and successful. They hate Rolex, they hate Western civilization, they hate white males, they hate rationality. The reasons that Seikos give for hating the Patek, Vacheron, Rolex, etc. clearly do not correspond with their real motives. They SAY they hate the Swiss because it is overpriced, simplistic, gaudy, inaccurate and so forth, but where these same faults appear in Japanese or in other pet gook brands, the Seiko finds excuses for them, or at best he GRUDGINGLY admits that they exist; whereas he ENTHUSIASTICALLY points out (and often greatly exaggerates) these faults where they appear in Swiss horology. Thus it is clear that these faults are not the Seiko’s real motive for hating Swiss timepieces. He hates Rolex and Patek because they are strong and successful.

If the Swiss watch industry had no problems at all, Seiko would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss. Seikos are desperately anxious to prove that Japanese wristwatches are as valuable and as capable as a Rolex. Clearly they are nagged by a fear that Seikos may NOT be as valuable and as horologically significant as a Rolex.

Attached: JLC-Master-Ultra-Thin-Moon-39-black-dial.jpg (1200x795, 139K)

Look at the “man” that constitutes the average Seiko Male. Words like “self-confidence”, “self-reliance”, “initiative”, “enterprise”, “optimism”, etc., play little role in the Seiko male vocabulary. Seiko is anti-individualistic, pro-collectivist. He’s the type of person who wants society to solve everyone’s problems for them, satisfy everyone’s needs for them, take care of them. He is not the sort of person who has an inner sense of confidence in his ability to solve his own problems and satisfy his own needs. Seiko is antagonistic to the concepts of “prestige” and “heritage” characteristic of traditional Swiss horology because, deep inside, he feels like a loser.

Seiko will often deflect with pointing out the deficiencies of the stereotypical TAG Heuer-buying Chav or nigger rap star with his comically oversized Royal Oak Offshore. There is a certain degree of truth to the accusation that people who engage in “status seeking” may be doing so as a method to shore up certain feelings of inadequacy. But even in the absolute worst stereotypes of the Rolex, TAG, Hublot, etc. buyer we do not see the same level of lowliness characteristic of the Seiko Male.

Attached: 1507776208026.jpg (968x968, 357K)

For instance, the Seiko is not typically the kind of person whose feelings of inferiority make him a braggart, an egotist, a bully, a self-promoter, a ruthless competitor. This kind of person has not wholly lost faith in himself. He has a deficit in his sense of power and self-worth, but he can still conceive of himself as having the capacity to be strong, and his efforts to make himself strong produce his unpleasant behavior and tendency towards buying outlandish watches. But the Seiko is too far gone for that. His feelings of inferiority are so ingrained that he cannot conceive of himself as individually strong and valuable. However horribly misguided or distasteful you see the average Tag Heuer buyer from being, he still conceptualizes himself as being able to score women which is one of the biggest factors in his (admittedly very poor) choices in watches.

Despite claims to the contrary, we of course know through even a cursory examination how your average Seiko Male (and indeed the “Weaboo” type when speaking of the broader problem in Western masculinity) would react if you put an attractive, high value white woman in a room with him. Whereas the prototypical TAG-owner might in the worst case make a complete fool of himself and gain zero headway, for Seiko that is likely the height of his success. A Seiko is just as likely to be the type to awkwardly fumble and stammer his way through failed flirtation as he is to be the guy whos eyes beam with joy showing her his expansive collection of cartoon pony dolls and anime figurines.

Attached: Vacheron Constantin - Batman.jpg (1024x683, 265K)

>Imagine being this butthurt that people can buy reliable watches with nearly infinite variations and aesthetics for 1/30th of what you paid for your overprice luxury jewelry
>Imagine being so jobless and lifeless that your daily life consists of eating, shitting and posting on Jow Forums all day
>Imagine being named Rakesh

Attached: 1486775309877.png (472x410, 254K)

Notice the masochistic tendency of Seiko tactics when applied to real world activism. Seikos protest by lying down in front of vehicles, they intentionally provoke police or racists to abuse them, etc. These tactics may often be effective, but many Seikos use them not as a means to an end but because they PREFER masochistic tactics. Self-hatred is a Seiko trait.

Many Seikos have an intense identification with the problems of groups that have an image of being weak (women), defeated (American Indians), repellent (homosexuals) or otherwise inferior. The Seikos themselves feel that these groups are inferior. They would never admit to themselves that they have such feelings, but it is precisely because they do see these groups as inferior that they identify with their problems. In turn, the peculiar fascination with Japanese wristwatches stems from an identification with a society where being an emasculated “grass eater” has a certain degree of social acceptability far beyond what is present in traditional Western society (of which in many ways traditional Swiss horology typifies).

Attached: Patek 1513 vintage.jpg (736x853, 98K)

Within watch forums the Seiko, rather than taking a conciliatory or lighthearted response to Rolex funposters which would in turn alleviate people mocking them, instead turn to desperately mashing the report button and responding with pictures of fish and passive aggressive butthurt.

We emphasize that the foregoing does not pretend to be an accurate description of everyone who might be considered a Seiko Male. It is only a rough indication of a general tendency of their community.

Attached: BS-W-93-Rolex-16550-Creme-315-041.jpg (1600x1200, 206K)

Get a life loser.

>someone took the time to type all that up

Imagine being this mad that your general that doesn't belong on Jow Forums is finally getting moved where it belongs.

Attached: tudora.jpg (800x710, 191K)

Anyone else got the 7546? What's different from the fancy movements Seiko put in their old Tunas?

Attached: seiko7546.jpg (1024x768, 102K)

>Imagine being this much of a malnutritioned, lifeless, jobless, hopeless, retard that you devote quite literally your entire day to shitposting in a watch thread on Jow Forums
Enjoy dying alone senpai. The joke will always be on you.

>an hour or two of work
>the watering hole for seiko owners is permanently poisoned
Enjoy /fa/, it's your new home now, hope you don't mind MVMT and DW being posted in the same air you breathe.

1996 Timex Ironman technology

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 8.28.37 AM.png (380x400, 274K)

Let's just talk about watches, fucknuggets.

Here's my pep-pep's Raketa, I found it in a box after he died. It was one of my first restorations, at the very beginning of my career (I was about to graduate batterynigger school at the time), but it still works pretty good.

Anyway, post your inherited/passed down shit!

Attached: 20180618_154418.jpg (4160x2340, 3.21M)

>implying /wt/ won't permanently exist in Jow Forums
The fact /fa/ is getting shat upon by having 6 coexisting /wt/ threads moved over to it is icing on the cake.

>Let's just talk about watches, fucknuggets.

Attached: 1523844383586 (1).jpg (4032x3024, 2.18M)

>pep-pep
First time I've ever heard that one.

>batterynigger school
What is batterynigger school?

Yo, chill nigga, /wt/ is a /fa/ thread now, that's how it's going to be. Deal with it.

>First time I've ever heard that one.
Literally why have you lived your life for so long?
youtube.com/watch?v=qUitxzgnT88

>What is batterynigger school?
They don't teach actual parts manufacture anymore in the country. I only learned watch repair in school, and some technical drawing.

There used to be THE Watchmaker user ITT, who actually had to design and build his own movements in school.

I only service, repair and restore. Hope one day I can go to a traditional watchmaker country (Japan, Germany, Russia) and learn traditional manufacturing.

Attached: 20180622_164007.jpg (4160x2340, 2.68M)

Even the Hayek school in the us has taken parts manufacturing out of its curriculum.

Yeah well I still feel it's important. Even if a lot of parts in modern mechanical movements cannot be replicated by some lone artisan in a tiny shop, there are still ancient watches that need to be restored, with no more spare parts available.

But with all the work I got right now with quartz shitters I wouldn't have the time to pick up turning parts on a lathe anyway.

No, I agree, I was highlighting it to show the decline in part making educating generally as a bad thing.

So, how to you guys feel about moving to discord now? A few weeks ago me plus a few of you guys tried it but wasn't really successful.

Wanted to post this instead.

This Citizen Hisonic just finished off the first battery I put into it in September. Only nine months to eat through a big-ass SR1130 cell is kinda steep. But also it reminds me that I've had this watch for nine months and I'm still too scared of it to service it.

Attached: 20180622_112207_HDR.jpg (4160x2340, 3.29M)

Seiko male detected.
Based.

>So, how to you guys feel about moving to discord now? A few weeks ago me plus a few of you guys tried it but wasn't really successful.
no watches are techoogoy

Attached: 1528604284112.jpg (1080x720, 192K)

there's a telegram /wt/ group

I would expect the cosmotron gx, with the 219 clone, would probably do better battery wise with its asymmetric fork.

Attached: 3701BMovement.jpg (984x1023, 98K)

Who knows, it the coil even the biggest consumer?

Any electrical engineers?

Discord is better than telegram in every way.

GS >>>>>>>>>> almost anything Swiss

Attached: 9366B13F-63FA-4417-AD6F-1751EFC0C134.jpg (1334x544, 131K)

Gonna inherit this one day.

Attached: Screenshot_20180617-181251.jpg (1080x2220, 1.71M)

I have this watch casio oceanus aw-502t
Anyone knows something about it?
When i shower with it steam comes inside and the band pretty shit, so i need a better one

Attached: IMG_20180627_002521.jpg (2448x3264, 958K)

This one too
My great grandfather had this with him when the soviets took him for a 10 years long siberian holiday.

>When i shower with it steam comes inside
Perhaps, I don't know, quit wearing it in the fucking shower?

Attached: 1460402939859.png (500x500, 300K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180627-185055.jpg (1080x2220, 1.11M)

Post the link please

I'm not the user you're talking about, but here's a 6497 with a new bridge I manufactured in school

Attached: IMG_20180627_100050.jpg (4048x3036, 2.97M)

Nice. Are the you the user in Seattle?

but its says water resistance up to 100 meter, should it withstand it? whats the point of having waterproof watch if you cant shower with it

>water resistance
>waterproof

I'll take what is swimming for $500, Alex.

Temperature difference and condensation my friend.
Why the fuck do you even need a timepiece in the shower?

It should. Make sure you hold it right up to the nozzle so the dirt gets power-washed away.

so, the most common type of gasket used in watches is a rubber impregnated with a grease of some kind.

what does soap do? it let's water lift oils, right?

when you expose your gaskets to soaps, the grease breaks down and drys out the gasket. don't shower with your watch on.

water resistance doesnt mean if i reach the certain height in the sea, (if a shark will dive down with my body, or i will go diving) the watch will stop working at that maximum level?
so how the fuck a simple shower or washing hands doesnt cut it

yessir.

the Seattle SAWTA school still teaches manufacturing